[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's wrong with quips?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: k8vEBoCW.jpg (24 KB, 748x748) Image search: [Google]
k8vEBoCW.jpg
24 KB, 748x748
What's wrong with quips?
>>
>>67992742

They outperform muh superior capekino
>>
>>67992742
Nothing until Marvel released 15 movies in five years, all replete with epic quips every three minutes.
>>
File: 17oge4wlz3y54jpg.jpg (36 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
17oge4wlz3y54jpg.jpg
36 KB, 636x358
>>67992742
>"Clearly you've never made an omelette"
>"He beat me by one second"
>>
boring
takes all the weight out of action and stakes out of bigger scenes
unfunny
obnoxious
too memey
>>
File: CfDboCWWsAA86OU.jpg (66 KB, 600x418) Image search: [Google]
CfDboCWWsAA86OU.jpg
66 KB, 600x418
>>81552095
Imagine being Chiwetel Ejiofor and having to be like "damn cucumber, you fucking fine. all what your sexy power ranger pose and reptilian monster face, i would totally dance off with you both my character and my real self", when all he wants to do is fuck another 16 years old in his dressing room. Like seriously imagine having to be Chihahuatel and not jump while Benedict flaunts his disgusting body in front of you, the favorable lighting barely concealing his stretchmarks and leathery skin, and just sit there, take after take, hour after hour, while he perfected that jump.
You've been fucking nothing but a healthy diet of blondes and slave movies FOR YOUR ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the boonies in Ghana. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the fake blood that's breaking out on his eyes as he sucks it in to writhe it suggestively at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to sit there and revel in his "statuesque (for that is what he calls himself)" beauty, the beauty he worked so hard for with personal trainers in the previous months. And then the director calls for another take, and you know you could kill every single person in this room before the studio security could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're fucking Chewietel. You're not going to lose your future political career over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.
>>
>>67992800
quipped the quip
>>
quippy quipple quipped quips
>>
>>67992800
That was good though
>>
Joss went full retard in AoU. I just couldn't take Ultron seriously because he was robot Tony. Which is get was the point but having more than one quipy Stark in a movie is overkill.

Thank god that hack is done
>>
obviously nothing because the majority of people view these movies in a favorable light
>>
>>67993312
this, if you don't like marvel movies you're probably mentally ill
>>
>>67992742
Nothing in and of itself, but an over reliance on any single element in a movie makes for a boring experience. Especially when stretched over 12 movies for nearly a decade.
>>
>>67992742
>I drive the Warners crazy
>My trains are filled with gravy
>Sell tickets on the daily
>To women men and babies
>Mickey Mouse and Marvel
>Will take over the whole world
>Snyder, take a ride or we will fuck you with our Spider

>My quips, my quips
>My quips, my quips, my quips
>Beloved by all critics
>Check em out
>>
>>67993736
>Watchoo go' do with all them quips?
>All them quips inside yo flicks?

>I'mma make make make DCucks sick
>Make them slit their fucking wrists

>Watchoo go' do with Spider-man
>Spider-man is the new guy

>I'mma make make make him CGI
>10 years old, British and wry
>>
Because DCucks think that quips are what make people like Marvel movies more, and not things like having a coherent film
>>
>>67993969
Sure, that helps. But then why all the quips? If they are redundant, why keep them in every film?
>>
>>67992800
>Pointing out the silliness of quips
>Showing the robot is taking after its creator and Tony tries to sugarcoat that fact

Why is it bad again?
>>
>>67993969
>if the editing isn't confusing, it's a good film
wew
>>
>>67994036
Because comic books are full of 'em, and these are film adaptations of comic books
>>
>>67994044
Because it is annoying as sin. AoU is Whedon's fault, to be sure. The man is a one trick pony whose only trick is to double fist you with a tasty quip three times per page. But Marvel is undoubtably quippy with or without him.
>>
>>67994103
Some comic books are filled with them. Mostly shitty comic books, but you are correct.
>>
>>67992742
Nothing desu
It's just one of those things /tv/ latched onto.
Well, mostly buttblasted DCucks but still.
>>
>>67993651
they are nothing more than toss away lines...if you think there is some "over reliance" there, I think you are missing the bigger picture

they help set a specific tone for the movies but they are only a part of it
>>
>>67994036
They keep a middle ground tone. You can't hint at darker things in a movie kids are seeing in droves and not lighten it up a bit. Not these days at least.

Some of the movies do the quips well. The half comedies like Ant Man and even Guardians are fun, I honestly believe that. And audiences did too. The real problem is abusing quips in the bigger or more serious flicks in the series.
>>
>>67994054
Not at all what he said fampai
>>
>>67993736
>>67993851
May god have mercy on your soul.
>>
Name a single comic book movie without a quip.

Name a single action movie without a quip.
>>
>>67994242
It's about volume.
>>
>>67994184
Plenty of "darker" movies still have some humor in them

Banter among soldiers is very common in war movies, for example; and it's quite jarring to see soldiers laughing and joking before one of them gets picked off by a sniper and a fight begins
>>
>>67994265
Really you can only say that one Marvel movie overdid it on the quips and that would be Age of Ultron but even with that being the popular opinion, there really aren't that many.
>>
>>67993437
Popularity means quality, the true outlook of the pleb
>>
>>67994184
>You can't hint at darker things in a movie kids are seeing in droves and not lighten it up a bit. Not these days at least.
Have you ever met a kid? Yes, maybe you shouldn't be taking a 6 year old to Dark Knight or Batman v Superman, but they shouldn't be watching violent action movies anyway. But when I was in the 10-16 demo, I loved that kind of thing. When I was 13, I loved movies like 300 and Sin City and Kill Bill. I never went for the zanier Fantastic Four or Daredevil stuff. But that's just me.
>>
File: 1459587813929.jpg (76 KB, 736x490) Image search: [Google]
1459587813929.jpg
76 KB, 736x490
>>67994409
>>
>>67994283
Yes, and I'm glad you pointed this out, because I think it is the key area where Marvel gets it wrong. Marvel will role with the quips, but you never get anything akin to the snipe. It's all set up with no pay off. There is no balance to it.
>>
Give me your favourite Joss Whedon line.

Now give me a non-villain/monster Joss Whedon character who would sound out of character saying that line.
>>
>>67994546
AOU did have a scene where the Avengers's party got crashed by Ultron bots
>>
>>67994546
>role
>>
>>67994637
>barrel role
>>
>>67992742

It's the same try hard faggotry that writers for papers/online blogs do and try to make a pun out of headlines, it's tired and stupid, but they think they're clever, so it's a self-congratulatory pat on their own back, which is smug assholeness
>>
>>67994349

age of ultron was a shit movie with or without quips
>>
>>67994607
But nothing of consequence really happened. They skirmished with a few cartoon characters and nothing of value was lost. Same with the final fight. It played like a video game. Avengers need to beat up a bunch of meaningless tin cans. There was no weight to it. It had the same amount emotional gravity as the Star Wars prequels. Just a bunch of badasses cutting through toy soldiers like butter.

BvS had a the same problem, just in reverse. It was too intense, too broody and depressing. It was equally hard to be invested because it was all just exhausting.

>inb4 Quicksilver
Nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>67992742
They're fine for a trashy piece of entertainment to give you a few laughs, but when it plagues the industry and movies containing them earn 10 times movies that are actually innovative and meaningful, you have a problem.
>>
>>67995034
That was kind of the point anon. We were seeing the Avengers at their peak. It's partly why the Scarlet Witch mindfuck scenes are so good, because it's one of the few times we see them weakened and torn apart.
>>
>>67995034
>BvS had a the same problem, just in reverse. It was too intense, too broody and depressing. It was equally hard to be invested because it was all just exhausting.

That was the biggest problem with BvS for me. Yes the editing was choppy, but my biggest qualm is that Snyder doesn't seem to know how to direct a scene...er... un-intensley? A lot of people say the movie was humorless, and that's not entirely true. There were a few jokes here and there, but the bigger problem is that every scene felt ridiculously tense. Snyder seems to be unable to direct a scene that's just two people talking. Like that bathtub sequence with Lois and Clark. That should have been a moment to let the audience catch their breath, but instead it's directed like a slasher flick. The lighting is moody, the music is tense. I half expected Michael Myers to break through the door instead of Clark Kent.
>>
>>67995165
Sure, that may be the point, and to that end Whedon did a fine job at directing them. My problem is that I didn't find it effective. Or at least not as effective as it would have been to show the Avengers in peril.
>>
>>67995395
And I think overall it had those moments. I mean the avengers themselves were never in any direct danger from the ultron drones. We do see them tiring out, and before Iron man and Thor kamehameha the heck out of floating sokovia, they have a pretty grim talk about going down with the ship. Now, you're right that they never actually pull the trigger on this, that's more so because that's not the movie they wanted to make yet.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.