[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can someone explain the plot to me?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: 7905.jpg (34 KB, 350x500) Image search: [Google]
7905.jpg
34 KB, 350x500
can someone explain the plot to me?
>>
Something something blackmail, something something drugs lmao, something something sex.
>>
>>67988664

wut
>>
>>67988870
>wut

Precisely.
>>
CHOTTO KINICHIRO
>>
>>67988530
DUDE 70's HIPPIES AND WEED LMAO
>>
Actually the plot is not that hard to understand per se, there are just too many fucking things going on, wich is ok for a book but not for a movie. I liked it, it's a fun noir story written by meme master Tommy pinecone and PTA is good at this job, but again, too many things on screen. Also i hate when i say this and some faggot always comes and say
>DUDE THAT WAS THE POOOINT IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE CONFUSING
fuck off
>>
>>67988530
You mean the "pot"?
>>
>>67988530
Another misfired shot from Paul Thomas "I love memes" Anderson in direction to the heart of cinema. It misses, because the shield of the true cinephile stops the bullet and exposes the memetic posture of mediocre inside it, once again claiming the victory to the kino.
>>
>>67988962

but that was literally the point
we follow the movie from the perspective of a stoned hippie
of course nothing makes sense
>>
>>67988962
The thing is, a plot can be projected onto the events, a grand conspiracy can be made out, running all the way back to the feds brainwashing Wolfmann because a hand in business is a useful tool for the govt.

But it really isn't the point to simply buy in to the plot that the characters assume, the film is a classic postmodern narrative, like many of Jacques Rivette's mystery films, that both suggests a plot and denies it in a skepticism of meta-narrative answers.

So what does that mean for this film? Inherent Vice is the exploration of a conspiracy that ended the hippie revolution, but also one skeptical of it, that wonders if it isn't a series of loosely connected events used as a defeatist explanation, or meta-narrative, to the hippie downfall. Was free love and free living really crushed by some quasi-supernatural force of infinite Right Wing reach? Or was the failure of the love generation its - excuse me for this - inherent vice? What the film shows us is a counterculture that is fractured and embroiled in internal conflict - the various gangs, drug dealers and dope fiends all out to score for themselves and fuck each other over - and stagnant hedonism - the children of LSD and marijuana becoming washed up heroin addicts and speed freaks.

Was a conspiracy even needed to take this 'revolution' down? Who knows. Doc doesn't. To suggest a final answer would be just another false meta-narrative to contextualize history.
>>
MORE PANCAKO

>the young lebowski has a case that goes nowhere and muttonchops
>>
>>67988988
*tips fedora*
>>
>>67989349
Nice analysis
>>
>>67988530
>be vice
>be inherent
>>
>>67988988
Fuck off, PTA is a genius
>>
The plot is simple. It is this:

>shit is confusing when you're high
>>
the point was it wasn't supposed to make sense
>>
>>67989349
not bad at all m8
>>
>>67988988
Please enlighten us with your infinite wisdom, mr. superior cinephile
>>
>>67989777
>>67988664
It's every reddit sensibility cinephile savvy tips fedora "moviebuff" "videogame" favorite flick. Its the order of the true cinephile to battle against media pandering.
>>
>>67989171

lebowski did the exact same thing, except the plot remained coherent and entertaining, which is why it's the superior LA stoner mystery comedy
>>
>>67989882
all of these reasons are memes
>>
>>67989882
buzzword: the post
>>
File: inherent_vice.jpg (265 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
inherent_vice.jpg
265 KB, 1500x1000
>>67988927
>>
>>67988988
>>67989882
>>
>>67989882
>>67988988
>i am le superior cinema appreciator
>>
>>67988530
YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO UNDERSTAND IT YOU FUCKING SCRUB
>>
File: bonk.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bonk.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>67989349
Good post
>>
this movie was bad. the soundtrack was really bad. just awful.
>>
>>67988530
it's a terrible remake of the big lebowski and it's not worth watching except for the nudity
>>
>it's a anon doesn't know the difference between plot, theme or story thread
>>
>>67990072
That's a haircut you can set your watch to!
>>
>>67989349
We await silent tristero's empire, to be honest famble-jambles
>>
>>67991256
You're right, it is quite similar to The Crying of Lot 49's exploration of the counterculture's birth. Appropriately they share a lot of characters, and form a kind of 'California Trilogy' with Vineland.
>>
This and Cosmopolis both try to tell their story in a stridently literary way, I think Cronenberg did it a little better but this movie has its moments.
>>
someone post the bush
>>
>>67992486
>tfw i banged my contemporary lit teacher in college because of lot 49
I would have rather seen it adapted. The whole double entendre about the "mail conspiracy" would be wonderfully subversive.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.