[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Put aside the lack of flaws or whatever label you want to put
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 16
File: rey_bddd0f27.jpg (38 KB, 768x431) Image search: [Google]
rey_bddd0f27.jpg
38 KB, 768x431
Put aside the lack of flaws or whatever label you want to put on her character. Above all else, did you enjoy Rey as a protagonist? Did you find her likable?
>>
I think I would have hated her if she wasn't so qt
>>
File: daisy ridley.png (561 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
daisy ridley.png
561 KB, 500x600
Yeah, but I'm realizing it might just be because she's a qt
>>
I found her kinda bland compared to Flynn and Flynn himself wasn't anything special, I thought even senile Han stood out to me more than her.
>>
File: 1460063166573.jpg (78 KB, 599x493) Image search: [Google]
1460063166573.jpg
78 KB, 599x493
>>
"no"
>>
>>67985798
> remove all flaws of thing
> now say if you dont like thing
Faggot, the role goes as a whole
>>
>>67985798

>did you enjoy Rey as a protagonist? Did you find her likable?

No
>>
She pulls the most annoying faces I've ever seen and overacts like Emma Watson playing Hermione. Needed a slap in the face but Ford is too old, progressive and filled with estrogen to provide it.
>>67985857
>>67985863
>cute
You are beta cuck filth.
>>
>>67985798
She's ok and a bit qt.

>>67985994
This. She needs to tone down her facial expressions. Felt like I was watching anime during her scenes.
>>
File: 1458729364089.webm (2 MB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
1458729364089.webm
2 MB, 1280x536
>>67985798
Yes, very.
>>
>>67985798
No, and Luke was cuter.
>>
File: hide postst edited7.png (250 KB, 919x737) Image search: [Google]
hide postst edited7.png
250 KB, 919x737
>>
>>67985798
xenomorph talentless ugly chav culture cunt.
>>
I want to eat her ass, desu.
>>
File: 1355280425910.jpg (13 KB, 400x277) Image search: [Google]
1355280425910.jpg
13 KB, 400x277
>put aside the character, did you like the character?
>>
>>67985898
sleep tight N4-PR
>>
File: rid2.jpg (115 KB, 1280x933) Image search: [Google]
rid2.jpg
115 KB, 1280x933
>>67985994
and you're in denial
unless you're calling me beta cuck filth for using the term qt, in which case yeah you're right
>>
>>67985898
Sleep tight N4-PR
>>
>>67986220
She is not cute at all, and I bet you aren't cute either.
>>
Rey has a very unique smile but it has grown on me a bit.
>>
>>67985798
The scenes with her on Jakku alone were endearing. Not in the same way the iconic Binary Sunset scene with Luke is, or as resonant, but endearing nonetheless. After that I found her intensely grating and less than compelling. Luke didn't really become truly interesting until Empire, but he was a more than serviceable protagonist. Rey's just a blight as soon as she meets Finn to the end.
>>
>>67986289
unique in its shittyness
>>
>>67986220
That's not cute. Looks like Robocop without his helmet. The face itself needs to be smacked or beaten severely.
>>
She's meh.

I could watch Poe and Finn swordfight all day though.

Kylo Ren was by far the most intriguing character. Driver was great.
>>
>>67986220
She looks so much like my step-sister that it's disturbing.
>>
>>67986427
the one legitimate reason I've read in this thread
>>
She was a little too infallible.

Not exactly an interesting character trait.
>>
What character?
>>
File: 1453870489598.gif (181 KB, 460x340) Image search: [Google]
1453870489598.gif
181 KB, 460x340
>>67986329
>looks like robocop without his helmet
>>
>>67985898
sleep tight n4-pr
>>
The performances in this movie were poor all around, but with a few exceptions, I don't think it was the fault of the actors. Ridley is one of those exceptions.
>>
File: 1459698923539.jpg (194 KB, 955x708) Image search: [Google]
1459698923539.jpg
194 KB, 955x708
>>67986577
>were poor all around
seriously? I though the acting was fine, apart from Finn mumbling some romantic nonsense and the ginger Hitler.
>>
>>67986708
Finn and Poe yip and hollar throughout the whole film. Rey mugs and overemphasizes. Ford's not-so-secret self loathing is the only thing interesting about his performance. Fisher talks like George Burns and the editing is clearly working to make the most of her bad performance. Driver is woefully miscast.
>>
>>67986971
>Driver is woefully miscast.
Nah. He was one of the few great parts about the movie. Who do you think would've been more appropriate?
>>
>>67986454
your opinions are not facts nigger
>>
>>67987063
I wouldn't pretend to know. Driver excels as an eccentric weirdo, not at being the pent up brooding type. Kylo Ren wasn't much of a role and it didn't play to any of his strengths.
>>
>>67987602
Kylo Ren is an eccentric weirdo. He's not supposed to be brooding in an especially imposing way. Scenes like his confrontation with Han carry emotional resonance (that the movie desperately needed) thanks in large part to Driver's performance.
>>
>>67987959
the music was so weak during that scene, it should've been like the Order 66 music, that made me at least care for all those literally whos getting killed by clones.
>>
No but she is so fucking cute.
>>
she's alright. she felt like the "straight man" in a comedy duo mixed with a mary sue. overall id say she's probably the most boring and least "realistic" person in the star wars universe.
>>
>>67985798
pretty boring and bit annoying
>>
>>67985798
She's likable enough, it's kind of a bland and wholesome part so it's lucky she's a decent actress and gives it some life.

Finn at least gets to be funny, but Kylo Ren is a far more interesting character then either of them.
>>
>>67986577
literally nothing wrong with Finn. /tv/ were completely wrong.

then again when are they ever right?
>>
>>67987959
>Kylo Ren is an eccentric weirdo.
I think he's more a petulant overgrown child. Look at his breakout role in Girls. That's what I'm talking about. He's this weird looking goofball who is very confident and full of energy.

Or look at his bit role in ILD, which plays up the comedy of his physique and deep voice.

Kylo Ren is a self serious crybaby, who is repressing his anger in between lashing out. That's not an eccentric weirdo. That's just a boring asshole.
>He's not supposed to be brooding in an especially imposing way.
Obviously. He's the "beta male uprising" personified. Which should have been obvious from the beginning.
>Scenes like his confrontation with Han carry emotional resonance (that the movie desperately needed)
Didn't work for me. But you're right. The movie desperately needed something.

Again, this was another part of the film that was all too obvious and contrived. You're basically lamenting the departure of Ford from the franchise. It has little to do with what's actually happening in the film.
>>
>>67985798
Her entire motivation in the movie up until the last 5 minutes is that she wants to go home and wait for her parents to show up, damned be the fact that the galaxy is on the brink of war, and people could use her help.

How likable would you describe that?
>>
>>67985898
Sleep tight N4-PR
>>
>>67988337
considering that's exactly what your lazy ass would do during a war I'm gonna guess pretty likeable?
>>
>>67988381
>Implying my lazy ass is likeable

But yeah, perish the thought that she should use any of the many capabilities she has to make some real money at the scavenger colony.
Surely they don't need engineers, they don't try out people at piloting, they aren't hiring competent fighters to guard the stash of parts.
Surely she, with all her capabilities and that speeder couldn't have made something of herself at the nearest space port, maybe hiring someone to actually find her parents, instead of sitting in sand all day every day, hoping her problems solve themselves.
>>
>>67988302
With Finn or the actor? The actor I'm sure is fine, but his character, like most of the characters in this film, was a cipher. He's pointless for much of the running time and his friendship with the flat chested boy was as ham fisted as anything else in this film.
>>
>>67988472
fear and reticence is a natural reaction to a destiny as great as that. it's perfectly understandable and in fact makes her, to the shock of /pol/, pretty flawed.

I'd consider that likeable. plus she chews cute.
>>
>>67988498
eh, can't argue with that. They really needed less chase/escapes and more character development as a whole. The Rathtar hubbub was one escape scene too many.
>>
no

she felt like a self insert
>>
>>67985994
>You are beta cuck filth.

she is charming, stop being so mad
>>
>>67988549
No see here's the thing.
If she was otherwise a competent human being, (i.e. had done something with her amazing talents instead of just rot in a ditch somewhere, and had actually tried looking for her parents instead of acting like someone who is not right in the head) I'd agree.
Being shocked at something big dropping in front of you is normal.
But when your default state of life is "I don't wanna do anything but sit in the sand and wait" then it't just a new shade of the same old pathetic.

At least Luke wanted to go to the (Imperial) Academy and make something of himself. He was applying himself. He was actively doing something with his life and working towards a goal before destiny knocked on the door.
She's just vegetating.
She's a non-character.
>>
>>67985798
Nope.

Finn should take the reins in the new flicks.
>>
Her acting is weird. I can't quite find the right word for it. She seems to have one tone, it's very pantomime, or like a GCSE drama performance. Maybe she's told to make the accent stronger, but it's definitely not good.
>>
>>67988328
Actors can do more than one thing. Driver fits comfortably in Kylo Ren's role. Kylo Ren is an unstable obsessive, and Driver's quirkiness lends itself well to that.
>Which should have been obvious from the beginning.
No. Kylo's clear power and initial intimidation have to be established in order for it to be subverted later. The contradictions convey his feelings of inadequacy and the very dissonance that are the crux of his character.
>You're basically lamenting the departure of Ford from the franchise. It has little to do with what's actually happening in the film.
Are you always so insufferably presumptuous? No, the scene works because it's the last grasp of a father trying to reach out to his confused and unstable son. Even in his dying moments Han still has love and faith in him. It's a far cry from the sleazy twat Obi-Wan and Luke met, and it's an interesting conclusion to his character arc that also helps inform Kylo Ren's. I didn't care much for TFA, but it was a pretty solid scene.
>>
>>67985798
I liked the childish innocence she gave off. And I'm interested to see her stupid past and her connection to Kylo. That said, if you try to think of her as the sole protagonist of the movie it doesn't work. She almost feels like a plot device at times, to move Kylo on his character arc.
>>
she's less feminine than kirsten stewart

its a line at which a person stops being attractive

I would never marry that, even if it were madly in love with me and wanted to give me 24/7 blowjobs
>>
File: jridnYZ.png (682 KB, 875x426) Image search: [Google]
jridnYZ.png
682 KB, 875x426
Only if she gets raped by Kylo.
>>
File: 1459502853918.jpg (10 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1459502853918.jpg
10 KB, 350x350
>>67989605
No, it will be consensual this time.
>>
>>67985798
Nope, she was terrible. Also not even as cute as Luke.
>>
>>67985798
No, she's a terrible character being played by a terrible actor.

But she's cute though, muh dick loves that.
>>
>>67985798
No, she was boring as shit. Like really boring. Thought ape man would be the worse but he actually turned out to be the most interesting of the lot. he and the dark jedi grand master, Ren.

everyone else sucked balls.
>>
>>67986088
lel
>>
>>67985798
Started off very likable, but became less and less so as the movie went on
>>
>>67989742

>get out of my ass!
>>
>>67986149
>chav culture

lel nothing chav about her you nob
>>
File: daisyauditiontape.webm (3 MB, 662x494) Image search: [Google]
daisyauditiontape.webm
3 MB, 662x494
>>67989742
>>
>>67989899
OSCAR
>>
>>67985798
Rey is cute.

However she's so flawless and Mary Sueish that I could only internally groan whenever she did something.

>Rey fixes the Millenium Falcon
of course she would know how to fix it, she's perfect
>Rey uses the jedi mind trick
of course she would know how to do that, she's perfect
>Rey shuts the door to amputate the monster's tentacle but not amputate Fin
of course she would know how to do that, she's perfect
>Rey uses a light saber for the very first time and beats someone who was trained both by Luke and whatever Snoke is
of course she's way better than a trained professional, she's perfect
>Rey reaches into the wall of the Star Killer Base and pulls something out that fixes everything
of course, she's perfect

How am I supposed to like a character if she's not really a character in the first place, but just a person who somehow knows everything?
>>
>>67989892
She use to be one when she was younger but now she grew out of it.
>>
Easy choice for Star Wars waifu
>>
>>67990079
proof?
>>
>>67990028
That's why she's boring as shit, she's good at everything she does. Lemme say that again; SHE'S GOOD AT EVERYTHING SHE DOES. Can't tell you the many times I wanted to shout BULLSHIT, in the theater.

Xander of Triple X was a Gary Stu, but not like this.
>>
>>67988649
Of whom?
>>
>>67989899
The fuck is going on there.
And why am i turned on by this.
>>
>>67989899
>this is the best they could cast

man, imagine what they turned down
>>
>>67985798
>lives alone in the wild
>no social contacs beside her family she didn't see in forever
>still shaves
>has no armpit hair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC9AjN5l4Gs
>>
>>67989899
Why do I hear Czech when im reading the captions?
Mfw I am czech
>>
>>67991271
JJ more than likely. J.J. inserted himself into the mix, with the gohead from Turner and Tiara Princess Disney.
>>
>>67985798
Great in the beginning. Once Solo arrives she goes downhill.
>>
>>67985798
>Besides the fact that she's a poorly written protagonist did you like rey as a protagonist?
Well honestly she seemed pretty wooden actingwise.
>>
>>67990623
hitting the gym, starring in a massive franchise, wears good clothes

not hanging outside tescos
>>
File: shrugging.gif (492 KB, 500x267) Image search: [Google]
shrugging.gif
492 KB, 500x267
>>67986577
Just like in any other Star Wars movie.
>>
>>67985798
Boring as fuck because the screenwriters never allowed her to be in any real danger. She had almost every situation perfectly under control, which in an action scene, is boring and lifeless. Finn was a much more interesting character to watch because he was imperfect and beaten a lot, so when he did something right, you were satisfied and engaged.
>>
She had so little to do with the movie from what I can remember I can honestly say that she almost has no character. She was "likeable" in the sense that she was very capable and admirable in that sense, but even then, having no apparent force training and being able to mindtrick the guard after 3 tries was a little much. I was entertained, but I didn't really get the same sense from her as say Luke.
I was really disappointed that Finn didn't get more screen time because he seemed like a much more enjoyable protagonist or at the very least had some character to him. Rey went from two states really. "Here's me doing something unexpectedly competent because I'm the Chosen One" and "Here's me experiencing... SOMETHING".
Really hope the next movie gives her some fucking character instead of just character traits.
Still an enjoyable film, albeit as a dumb action film instead of the pseudo-journey of the OT.
Honestly the best way to sum up TFA is its a Star Wars themed amusement ride.
>>
Once we get in the Falcon Ray just has to do whatever the plot needs her to do to move it forward, be an amazing pilot, ace mechanic, run off upset, get captured, learn the force, escape, fight Kylo and go find Luke.

It makes her feel less real, as she is always just doing practical stuff she gets far less time for her character other than the visions when she touches the lightsaber and the interrogation with Kylo, even running off upset has no real character payoff and is just a device so she can be captured.

Finn gets about the same amount of time on screen but spends far more of it doing character stuff that makes him an actual character whereas Rey is just a tool constantly achieving her goals because they need to move the plot along giving her an uninteresting perfection.

Finn feels more real and relatable because he behaves like a person having flaws and making more mistakes. He actually feels like a new protagonist in that he seems inexperienced and new to what he is doing whereas Ray is already great at everything.

I dont know if the same people are writing episode 8 but I hope they bring Rays character back down to earth. I thought the script was one of the films strong points and really captured the light hearted but action orientated tone of the original trilogy so maybe with some character development and a master student relation with Luke her character will seem more real.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.