[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tv/, I'm pretty entry-level when it comes to film,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: Chungking2.jpg (171 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Chungking2.jpg
171 KB, 1920x1080
Hey /tv/, I'm pretty entry-level when it comes to film, however I'm beginning to see a distinct taste take form I guess. Two of my fav films, Chungking Express and Only God Forgives both feature this visual style that perfectly capture the late night metropolitan vibe that for me induces alot of nostalgia, but also give them ethereal qualities and create intense atmospheres with neon lighting. Can u recc me films that are aesthetically like these two?
>>
>late night metropolitan vibe
I will bump for interest but I can't really think of anything. Eyes Wide Shut maybe. I'd suggest something like Fellini (think La Dolce Vita) but I don't think it's really modern enough for what you're looking for
>>
Blade Runner and Lost in Translation achieve something similar as well.
>>
>>67977062
Why would your taste be literally just "late night city"?

Don't you have an interest in themes, characters, staging, dialogue? Why limit you taste to a lighting technique?
>>
>>67977841
its legit, i like this kind of films too
>>
>>67977062
try fallen angels, its like Chungking but totally at night.
>>
>>67977062
OH SHIT NIGGERS IT'S THE OFFICIAL NIGHTCORE LIST

Collateral
The Third Man
Nightcrawler
Heat
Thief
John Wick(?)
After Hours
Fallen Angels
Chungking Express
In The Mood For Love
Un Homme Qui Dort
Bringing Out The Dead
Night On Earth
Tchoupitoulas
Dark City
The Crow
Night and The City
Two Men In Manhattan
Drive
Only God Forgives
Eyes Wide Shut
Blade Runner
L.A. Confidential
The Lookout
Shame
Only Lovers Left Alive
Naked (Mike Leigh)
Terminator 1
Irreversible
The Warriors
Sin City
Fight Club (?)
Die Hard
Shadows And Fog
Midnight In Paris
Locke
Strange Days
Escape From New York
Lost In Translation
>>
>>67978253
Saved. Add enter the void
>>
I'm assuming you've seen Drive if you like OGF
>>
>>67978253
I realized shortly after posting this that there's a ton of films here I haven't seen.
>>
>>67978327
On it, senpai
>>
>>67978253
This has got to be one of the dumbest conceptions ever. I mean, it's not even a genre. You just like how night looks in a city.

How about this. Get in a car and drive to your nearest city at night then take some pictures. Hell, add in a minimal synth soundtrack while you're at it and you can just live in it.

For Christ's sake. Learn something about films.
>>
No one mentions Taxi Driver yet baka
>>
>>67978505
>it's not even a genre.

No, it's an aesthetic, you stupid fuck.
>>
>>67978505
Generally speaking, and I'm just going off that list I compiled a while ago (thanks /tv/) the closest genre to what OP's going for is Neo-Noir, or Crime Thriller.

You can probably find your way from there, OP. Look into Film Noir, you might enjoy it.
>>
>>67978505
He said he doesn't know much about film, but this aesthetic appeals to him.

Suggesting films that have that aesthetic might help him expand his tastes, and eventually learn more about film.
>>
>>67978542
It's not an aesthetic. It's literally just night time. What the fuck is wrong with you all.

Blade Runner has an aesthetic. It takes place in a fleshed out world with immense amounts of effort put into production design.

This is literally just shots of mostly empty streetlight lit streets with minimal syth. It's an "aesthetic" in the same way that filming in direct sunlight with jazz overlaid is an "aesthetic".

It's really nothing to comment on. There's very little connection between any of the films on your list besides the ones that are neo-noirs.
>>
>>67978253
You're a God.
>>67978505
Its an aesthetic, theme and atmosphere man. Hits hard for me as I used to spend alot of time in those places when i was younger and my Dad had problems with alcohol, so particularly in a film like Chungking which is meant to be melancholic (in a tongue in cheek way tho) it hits hard. But really, I just think it looks pretty.
>>67977841
Yeh of course, both of these films are pretty much made by the themes, but I'm rn I'm more interested in visual execution in film as an idea, and both of these films are executed SO WELL.
>>
>>67978617
Thanks.
>>
>>67977062
Chungking Express was on my list of films to watch, but if it is your favorite along with Only God Forgives trash then I have to assume it's awful.
>>
>>67978810
you really don't know what you are talking about, or you are talking about your own conception of this aesthetic without talking about the actualy movies and the details that make them appeal to op and the others
>>
>>67978810
You're wasting your time mate.
>>
>>67978947
OGF is fucking trash but Chungking Express is an amazing film. The only thing joining them is literally that they both takes places in cities and that some scenes are at night.
>>
>>67978865
There is no good reason to include collateral on the same list as Chungking Express and In The Mood For love because the movies have nothing of substance in common.

Like what's next? Do you want to recommend Like Someone in Love to someone that liked Tokyo Drift because the first 40 minutes take place at night in tokyo?
>>
>>67977841
Yeah same I love this style it's just the mood, doesn't even have to focus on characters
>>
>>67979058
A city at night is not 'a mood' though. In the list posted above we have romance films, thrillers, science fiction, dumb action movies etc. Each of them has a drastically different 'mood'. Can't you see what he's trying to say?
>>
>>67978957
The detail that seems to appeal to them is that it's night.

I mean why not watch panic room. It takes place at night in a city? Why not the lost world? It takes place at night in a city.
>>
>>67979021
Better explanation for what i like about these films is that they're both visual poetry done well executed with a specific minimalist style. For more context, another one of my fav films is The Holy Mountain (like any entry level /tv/ lurker I guess) which might have more substance and a better execution than these two in other ways, but is visually really cluttered and intense and doesn't make for a great atmosphere. So maybe atmospheric movies is better, i just like this style. Some other favs are Deadman and Stalker which are similar in that they're atmospheric and minimalist but have a different aesthetic.
>>
>barely one actual film related thread on /tv/ at any time lately
>one guy is hell bent on disrupting any conversation from the first post with angry pedantic shit
Every fucking time
>>
>>67979293
I mean, Only God Forgives isn't visual poetry. It's an excuse to film violence that is being lit with softbox lighting.

Chungking Express however is one of the freshest and most exciting free form love stories to come out of new Asian Cinema. They, again share almost nothing in common. Not even camera work. The aesthetics are vastly different and I don't think you should really call Chungking Express an atmospheric film, especially not in the same way as OGF.
>>
>>67979487
It's not like you had anything of value to say anyway.
>>
>>67978518
This
>>
>>67979487
Nah, this has been great for me, that list alone is worth. And its interesting discussion which is a rarity amongst the waves of shit and pedo posting.
>>
>>67979487
I do see emperor do this pretty regularly and it's often annoying as fuck when people are already talking. he does, however, always do it to try and increase the ability of the posters to articulate what they want correctly. he's a sad pedant but he's attempting to promote actual film discussion using the correct lexicon which is actually commendable here. I guess he should probably go to /r/truefilm given the state of this board though
>>
>>67979829
Is /r/truefilm good? Ive never been on Reddit as I assumed it was just 4chan but worse and slightly sanitised, but fuck, this board is almost unbearable.
>>
>>67979903
Reddit/4chan vary. Some aspects are worse than the other, some better. /tv/ has definitely become one of 4chan's worse boards though
>>
>>67979903
While there is a lot of posturing by people halfway through film 101 there's is consistent discussion at least. It still leans towards modern hollywood which is understandable given the users but you can easily guide discussion to the subject matter of your choice. They're very open providing your OP has legitimate talking points.

Honestly any large website with a huge userbase isn't going to be ideal as you'll often get content pandering to the majority. Particularly when upvotes come in to play.
>>
I really wish /tv/ would stop shilling Chungking Express
>>
>>67979903
There's a great irony in how all the anti-reddit boogeymen and shitposting to prove how un-reddit you are probably drove a lot of people to go to reddit. I haven't made the jump yet but after 5 months of Star Wars, Batman, The Walking Dead and now GoT and Avengers coming up I can't take too much more of /capeshit/.

Is this was /v/ was like when it died however long ago?
>>
>>67980443
/v/ never died. If it was like /tv/ they would be talking about iPhone games and praising Fallout 4.
>>
>>67977062
Rebels of the Neon God
>>
>>67979829
I have been to r/truefilm. It's more or less just a more verbose version of what is going on here. People justifing banal opinions with paragraphs rather than sentences. I prefer the honesty here as far as film forums go. At least this place actually mirrors the real state of film at this point in the 21st century.

On my pedantry. I don't act like this in real life. I'm a pretty well adjusted person but on here, it just doesn't seem right unless you are calling someone a moron. I feel like that attitude is better for making people actually do things. If you're posting in a thread and some guy really pisses you off by screaming about how your interpretation of a movie is wrong, the next time you watch that movie or any movie, I think that you'll be more likely to be self conscious and more analytical. If I were simply to come into this thread and say "like softbox lighting? That's cool, I do too" no one has gained anything. I mean even if I give you a list of movies with that lighting style what are you going to get? More lighting and you're never going to look for anything else.

I realize it must make some people angry and this is by design.
>>
>>67981068
Well, you're honest, and I appreciate that. Shitposting with a purpose. Novel concept, but it works.
>>
>>67981068
>shitposting to improve board quality

truly the emperor of /tv/
>>
File: review_ptu.jpg (41 KB, 420x480) Image search: [Google]
review_ptu.jpg
41 KB, 420x480
>>67978253
You can't exclude one of To's best, PTU. It takes place completely in one night.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.