[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does a movie with a 5.5/10 average rating get a 75% fresh score?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: Untitled.png (326 KB, 405x647) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
326 KB, 405x647
I realize not many reviews are in yet, but the relative rating to percentage math doesn't even seem like it should possible.
>>
It makes sense if you're not retarded.
>>
>>67964056
do you understand how RT works? the 75% score is just the number of critics who didn't explicitly dislkie the movie
>>
>>67964056
It's really simple.
Of 24 reviews 18 gave the film a passing grade (at least 6 out of 10). Or 75% of all reviewers.

But if the positive reviews were all barely a pass (a 6) and all the negative reviews were barely a fail (a 4) then you'd get an average score of 5.5 (18*6 = 108, 6*4 = 24, 108 + 24 = 132, 132 / 24 = 5.5)
>>
>>67964056
This is the kind of people posting on this board.
>>
File: Untitledd.png (141 KB, 754x317) Image search: [Google]
Untitledd.png
141 KB, 754x317
>>67964077
>>67964121
>>67964247

Thanks guys. I know how it works. That's why I said it doesn't *seem like* it should be possible.

Comparatively, The Hateful 8 also has a 75% fresh rating, but a 7.3/10 average rating. So, what I meant was that a 75% fresh rating on a movie with a 5.5/10 average rating seems incredibly unlikely.
>>
>>67964247
Yep, films with mixed reactions do very badly on the RT system, films with all-round ok reactions do very well.
>>
File: Untitled2.png (142 KB, 756x321) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
142 KB, 756x321
>>67964336
Meanwhile, this movie has an average rating of 6/10, but a 54% rotten score.

I'm trying to illustrate the unlikelihood of a movie having a low average rating, but a high fresh score, and how unfair Hardcore Henry's fresh rating seemingly is.
>>
>>67964056
I assume this is the average consensus by critics.

What's annoying is that a review will be counted as Rotten or Fresh even if it's a borderline review with a mix of pros and cons.
>>
File: dingus.webm (578 KB, 720x260) Image search: [Google]
dingus.webm
578 KB, 720x260
>>67964336
>>67964056

You could probably fit every paid "film critic" in the world into one football stadium if you stacked up the bodies

After that it's just a matter of how much gasoline you brought
>>
>>67964056
>snydercucks still scrambling for ammo
How can one fanbase be so impossibly retarded?
>>
>>67964791
>just two quotes
Come on, psycho boy, you're slipping.
>>
File: ice and berg.gif (397 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
ice and berg.gif
397 KB, 720x480
>>67964853
>snydercucks still scrambling for ammo

Because there's only so many times you can see 'critics' like Mark Kermode say "I didn't understand the plot, it's incomprehensible" when the title of the film is "BATMAN V SUPERMAN" and not want to give him a Mandela Necklace
>>
>>67964336
It's essentially a matter of happenstance.

the Hateful eight had 25% of its reviews done by contrarians who gave it like a 4 to be edgy, but every other review is like a 8-9 so it cancels out at 7.3.

Meanwhile this movie probably had ALL of its reviews in or around the 5.5 mark, the majority probably gave it a 6 or something like that other anon said.
>>
>>67964056
People giving extremely low scores.

The percentage is based on the amount of people. So if a few people give really bad scores it pulls the average down without screwing with the tomatometer much.
>>
>>67964730
If the tone is "eh it has good points but it's a meh/crap movie" then yes, dumbass.
>>
because average scores are retarded and you shouldn't care. just look at what kind of cancer hole metacritic is and these tomatoes are the same fucking thing.
>>
>>67964056
keep rotten tomatoes and metacritic out of your life and like whatever you wanna like, and hate whatever you wanna hate. you'll lead a better life
>>
oh look, its the hourly "i don't know how RT works" thread.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.