[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Disney buys Star Wars to get a male demographic >Makes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 45
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 240x240
>Disney buys Star Wars to get a male demographic
>Makes Star Wars and its spin off into a feminist power fantasy
Why?
>>
Why not. It's worked.
>>
>>67963380
They know every male will watch it anyway because of previous 6 movies. Females will watch because feminist power fantasy, as you put it. Disney gets money from male, female, young and old.

Jokes on you, friendo.
>>
Because they know that white nerds are already going to see it, so they thought they might as well go full SJW and try to get girls and minorities interested by pandering to them.
>>
>White hating Jew as Director
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 960x640
>This is the Star Wars market now
>TFA and Rogue One both have female leads
>MaRey Sue is boring and Finn was most likely shoe horned in for SJW brownie points
>No strong, masculine lead
>The strong, male characters are pushed into the background when they should be the protagonist (Poe)
>>
>>67963409
>They know every male will watch it anyway
The "they'll watch it anyway" mentality doesn't often fair too well. Next movie will make a lot less money, and I'm sure toy sales are below expectations because young boys are sexist as fuck.
>>
>>67963433
It's all part of the agenda. They're winning by pushing this propaganda shit into children's movies like this one.
>>
A lot of men don't mind female protagonist, the problem is Rey is lame as fuck.
>>
>>67963433
waaaaaaaah feminists are taking muh movies
>>
File: 20160407_154113~01.jpg (1 MB, 3615x2987) Image search: [Google]
20160407_154113~01.jpg
1 MB, 3615x2987
>>67963380
Of all the flavors...

You chose to be salty.
>>
Because they didn't have any male demographic with the MCU or anything.
>>
>>67963447
>young boys are sexist as fuck.
Fucking this
>>
File: 1458863684697.jpg (2 MB, 3160x4740) Image search: [Google]
1458863684697.jpg
2 MB, 3160x4740
>>67963485
Not really. The only "problem" people seem to have is that she was good at too many things.

Otherwise I found her quite likable and so did most of my friends.
>>
>>67963447
Yeah, besides brand fatigue is a thing too. We haven't had yearly Star Wars films so we can't tell if fatigue will happen.

Which is what I find funny about people complaining about a lack of Rey toys. When I was younger, female characters would warm shelves.

>>67963511
Tumblr females are a very vocal part of the MCU now. Why do you think panels like this exist? Although, Marvel sales are going down so who knows how Marvel will change now?
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 600x555) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 600x555
>>67963550
Here's said panel.
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 600x1067) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 600x1067
>Star Wars will never be a boy's club that most women laugh at again
>>
>>67963547
>The only "problem" people seem to have is that she was good at too many things.
She's a Mary Sue. That is one of the worst things a character could be.
>>
File: 220px-PaybackPoster.jpg (25 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
220px-PaybackPoster.jpg
25 KB, 220x330
>>67963676
Not at all.

John McClane, Master Chief, Lara Croft and Indiana Jones are just a few examples of beloved "Sue" characters.

Also Jesus.
>>
>>67963724
Lara Croft isn't a Mary Sue anymore. Also, Indiana Jones is a different situation and he's not that much of a perfect character.
>>
>>67963724
John McClane
>Not in the only relevant Die Hard, which is the first one
Master Chief
>Probably, I don't care about shitty games
Lara Croft
>She was fine in the beginning, haven't played any of the games in ages so probably
Indiana Jones
>Yeah no
>>
>>67963724
master chief dies all the time when I play.
>>
>>67963497

>white men create something fun
>women and minorities demand "equal representation" in thing they didn't make
>ends up shoehorning SJW bullshit and ruining thing

classic
>>
go back to your cave shitlord!
>>
>>67963724
>Also Jesus.
*tips fedora*

he was widely hated and lost his temper at those moneylenders at the temple. He dies and his enemies prosper.

Rey is beloved by all, better at everything than anyone and always makes the right decision.
>>
>>67963433
But Finn was good, man =(

I don't care if he was black. He was a solid character. Lot of charm, carried a lot of the film.

Rey just needs development. Once they break into her darkside arc properly, I'm hoping it'll improve.

Also, who the fuck seriously wants Poe as protagonist? He's a cool supporting character with strong chemistry with Finn, but damn man, Star Wars movies don't have confident, competent badasses for leads. Not in the first movie of the trilogy, at the very least.
>>
>>67963676
I'm hoping that Rey is gonna fall hard. You seen her Kylo fight? She's dipping into anger-fueled force power, hardcore. She obviously also has some amount of training, but no control.

My dream for the next movie
>Rey gets disillusioned with whatever shit she was looking for, feels hard-done by and thinks she deserves more
>meanwhile, Kylo continues to undergo the obvious redemption arc
>movie ends with Rey brutally handing Kylo his ass and taking his place as apprentice to Snoke, leaving Kylo barely alive and hella uncertain in his commitment to the darkside with horrified Finn
>>
>>67963433
>Can watch both the prequels and OT for based male actors doing based shit rather then this JJ ABRAMS tripe
>>
>>67964124
>>movie ends with Rey brutally handing Kylo his ass

knowing Disney this is almost certain.

She's such a fucking meme character.
>>
>>67963380
JJ is not as talented Lucas, of course he's gonna ape the originals and pad it out with SJW BS and lensflare.
So Disney never bought the ability to make a starwars movie, just some badly aging props. Frozen in space is their idea of perfect, and it will be that from now on.
>>
>>67963380
Star Wars was never specifically a male thing, though.
>>
>>67964124
That would be nice but that requires character development, something Mary Sue characters don't go through. They're boring for a reason. Besides, Disney isn't going to make the female lead turn villain, they want little girls and feminists to watch their movies.
>>
>>67964182
It was.
>>
>>67963380
They bought a male demo franchise, and they turned it into a YA chick flick.
That's because the males would watch anyway and they could target the female audience.
The end result is selling the same piece of shit to both sexes and making many more shekels
>>
>>67964166
a legit furious bitch vs a dark side user that's losing all confidence in their rage and their drive isn't even a fight, bruh. Once Rey got pissed, she was the good bet in that fight.

Kylo is in training.
Kylo has to all but pray to Vader to keep his course on the dark path.
Kylo ALREADY ALMOST TURNED, ON THE BRIDGE WITH HAN

The dark side is all about the rage, ambition, and hatred you can bring to bare. That's where the real power is. Kylo is all fear and pissy tantrums; he's playing in the kiddy pool of the darkside.

Rey on the other hand, the traumatized whatever the fuck that she is, freaking the fuck out...she's already tapping into focused anger.
>>
So what are guys who are losers meant to do now that women have turned nerd cons and shit into a glorified dress up parties.
>>
>>67964339
My guess is more and more nerds will start transitioning to trannies.
>>
>>67964339
Grow the fuck up and stop being losers
>>
>>67964335
what the fuck are you going on about

Rey is a fucking mary sue that will never fall to the darkside
>>
>>67964041
That's why. Poe is charasmatic, interesting and the most fun of the three.
>>
>>67963380

when ray lee goes into rocky mode next film and gets beat up, i think the mary sue replacement character should have some sort of physical disability
>>
File: kylo-ren.jpg (264 KB, 1280x864) Image search: [Google]
kylo-ren.jpg
264 KB, 1280x864
>You need a teacher, slut

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>67963380
ugh, are you seriously asking this? do you even know what year it is?
>>
>>67964335

>kylo almost turned

I don't think you understand that scene senpai
>>
>>67964411
Finn is fun. And he has a lot going on. That scene in the beginning with his friend literally dying on him was super touching.

Poe is fun too, sure. But not especially interesting as of yet. Poor protagonist material. Frankly he's most analagous to, like, Wedge Antilles from the original trilogy. A chill dude you enjoyed having on screen without too much depth. Again, I hope he sees further development, and gets compelling flaws and shit, but y'know.
>>
>>67964182

Uhhhh yes, it absolutely was. Until very recently.
>>
>>67964443
>please use your feminine charms to make me into a good person (which my real dad couldn't) despite you cucking me with a man of colour
>>
File: jesus-thumps-up1.jpg (65 KB, 388x400) Image search: [Google]
jesus-thumps-up1.jpg
65 KB, 388x400
>>67963900
>being literally the son of God

He was the first Sue.
>>
File: daisy.jpg (133 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
daisy.jpg
133 KB, 1600x900
>mfw Rey turns to the dark side and rips Finn's cock off
>>
>>67963764

That was where he was the most Sue.

Even Max "The Man" Landis calls him a Sue.
>>
File: 1459280124283.gif (1009 KB, 500x270) Image search: [Google]
1459280124283.gif
1009 KB, 500x270
>>67964577
>Even Max "The Man" Landis calls him a Sue.
>>
File: reaction boring.gif (966 KB, 250x183) Image search: [Google]
reaction boring.gif
966 KB, 250x183
>>67963724
>John McClane and Indiana Jones are Gary Stus

>Also includes two video game player characters as mary sues for good measure

>>67964124
>She obviously also has some amount of training, but no control.

>She's strong in the force because she has some amount of training, not because she's a mary sue. She's obviously had some training because she's strong in the force.
>>
>>67964519
He wasn't just tricking his pops. He was DEFINITELY tempted. Think about it, this is the guy who is always unhappy and lonely, loathed in his organization, praying to the helmet of his grandfather for the strength to keep going on the path that will hopefully come to give him something in the end.

He was definitely thinking about it for a second there.

>>67964404
You might be right. I just have hope. There are indicators.
>within 5 minutes of meeting Rey, they start with the temptation thing, asking her to to give up the droid
>she's got obvious trauma, abandonment issues, if her plans and whatever it was that was keeping her going doesn't pan out like she thought, it's 10 years of dreaming out the window and she'll be pissed
>full of FEAR, flips out when confronted with light saber at first
>obviously fucking mad in the Kylo fight

Fear and anger are early warning signs. I think they indulged a little too much in the woooooh mystery wooooh thing, but with the assumption that she already has some force training from her SUPER MYSTERIOUS PAST TRADE MARK, her feats are not completely absurd. I'm hoping that once they get down to the brass tacks, they'll let the character fill out more, and they can capitalize on some the stuff above. It would be interesting.
>>
>>67964641
I think she has some training cuz of the spooky secret past. Basic shit, some understanding of her force sensitivity that she has some basic awareness about, and is able to expand upon in the movie.

She's also a pretty bland sue-ish character at the moment. I just have hopes that they can A) justify it a bit and B) have her move into more interesting territory.
>>
>>67963380
Bull shit! Princess Leia was all "Arent you a little short to be a Storm Trooper? pew pew pew pew pew!!!!! Also she helped lead Ewoks.

Its always had strong women. All pf Lucas's films have had strong women.
>>
>>67964547
No it wasn't. Gender politics don't even really enter into it, beyond what you bring with you.
>>
File: light.jpg (9 KB, 236x259) Image search: [Google]
light.jpg
9 KB, 236x259
>YOU'RE TEARING ME APART

Kylo kills Leia when?
>>
File: 14567890987000.webm (3 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
14567890987000.webm
3 MB, 1920x816
>>67963433
>No strong, masculine lead
>implying Star Wars ever had that to begin with
>implying the one male lead that could qualify for that (Han) didn't get reduced to goofy comic relief by the last film
>>
File: The face of Star Wars.png (705 KB, 653x568) Image search: [Google]
The face of Star Wars.png
705 KB, 653x568
>>
>>67964949
Why is her face so square shaped, bros?
>>
>>67964907
I am pretty sure Leia is gonna die in Ep. VIII, she's too old for this shit.
>>
>>67963724
This bland fucker was the biggest Mary Sue I've ever seen, yet no one bitched about him.
>>
>>67963550
>Tumblr females are a very vocal part of the MCU now. Why do you think panels like this exist?

They can afford to pander to them in comics. They cant do that in the movies.
>>
File: kr.jpg (20 KB, 500x424) Image search: [Google]
kr.jpg
20 KB, 500x424
>Kylo is the Darth Vader of sequel trilogy
>gets ass kicked repeatedly

Hopefully when Snoke completes his training he'll be less shit.
>>
>>67963764

Fuck you, Die Hard with a Vengeance is the best one
>>
>>67963724
>John McClane
Gtfo. McClane is good at killing bad guys but he's flawed as fuck.
>>
File: IMG_20160407_064146.jpg (51 KB, 453x450) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160407_064146.jpg
51 KB, 453x450
>>67963433
>implying Finn wasn't the best character
>>
File: 1450824061167.jpg (8 KB, 317x291) Image search: [Google]
1450824061167.jpg
8 KB, 317x291
>mfw finn/poe and kylo/hux both become canon in the next film

/pol/ go
>>
File: 1459544186554.png (324 KB, 669x659) Image search: [Google]
1459544186554.png
324 KB, 669x659
>>67963380
>>67963380
>>Makes Star Wars and its spin off into a feminist power fantasy
oh please
>>
File: buscemi cat.jpg (33 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
buscemi cat.jpg
33 KB, 268x265
>>67964822
Strong women =! feminist power fantasy

Sci Fi has had strong, complicated, and flawed female characters for the best part of 50 years now
(See Leia, Ripley from Aliens, etc)
The problem is that modern feminists before Star Wars are clutching banshees who insist that such characters don't exist or aren't good enough, until you get shit like this

Now instead of Leia who was
>strong but flawed, a princess in need of a rescue from the evil dungeon, nobility turned rebel who fell in love with a scoundrel
we get
>Flawless, superior, never needs saving because she saves herself, actively rebukes people when they try "let go of my hand!" Rey

>>67964939
Han takes that role by the end of the series because Luke has completed his journey and become the hero dingus

Over the three films he goes from naive innocent farm boy not capable of much thrown in with a wise, stoic old mystic and a cheating criminal scoundrel killer to a battle-scarred trained warrior, confident in himself enough to stare down the Emperor in the middle of his own fortress
>>
>>67965247
>Han takes that role by the end of the series because Luke has completed his journey and become the hero dingus

Luke is still hardly masculine, even by ROTJ.
>>
>>67965053
>Snoke trains Kylo
>Luke trains Rey

its like poetry
>>
>>67965138
/pol/ will be happy as long as Rey isn't blacked
>>
>>67965024

Because the film was bland shit that nobody cared about beyond seeing dinosaurs on the big screen again. Despite the prequels (or because of them for some), people are still emotionally invested in Star Wars and want it to be good again.
>>
>>67965301
>Luke is still hardly masculine, even by ROTJ.

Aesthetically, yes, but there was no accounting for that, especially after he just fucked his shit up with the car accident

Tell me his actions aren't those of a masculine hero knight during ROTJ
>>
>>67963380
>power fantasy
you fucking hypocrites will always reinforce each other's idiotic drivel. What the FUCK is a power fantasy?

Regressive use the term to dismiss anything that might present the idea that being a white male is OK. Like calling Schindler's List a fucking Jewish power fantasy, or Roots a black power fantasy - it's simply a dismissive term that tries to undermine any message about Jews being people or blacks being human. "Male Power Fantasy" is a code word for "how dare you insist that white males are human when we all know they are monsters who have caused ALL the atrocity on Earth." It's a fucking racist/sexist cop-out, just like saying sympathy for black slaves is only 'womanly sentiment' which they actually said before the American civil war.

Now you fucks are using 'power fantasy' too? Fucking horseshoe theory is being demonstrated here, you assholes deserve each other.
>>
File: disney.jpg (45 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
disney.jpg
45 KB, 512x384
>>67963380
>Why?

pic related
>>
Excuse me, did you know it's the current year?
>>
>>67965053
>Kylo is the Darth Vader

Anon. Kylo is a bitch.

And.

It is great. Kylo is the dark side user I always wanted. Some furious kid in way over his head, trying to make himself believe he's actually doing what he wants to be doing.

Kylo is a pathetic, lonely, ugly, /r9k/ fuck who thinks the world owes him something.And I am going to love his redemption arc.

Just don't expect him to be Darth Vader. They fill similar story niches as the 2nd in command with potential light-side leanings, but Darth Vader is the rage of man who has lost everything and lives in constant emotional and physical agony. Kylo Ren is a punk kid with more power than he can understand, use effectively, or even really knows what to do with.
>>
File: 144567890876500.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
144567890876500.webm
1 MB, 640x480
>>67965364
>Tell me his actions aren't those of a masculine hero knight during ROTJ

They aren't, he's just a kid with a heart of gold.
>>
>>67965389
this
>>
>>67965389
>Just don't expect him to be Darth Vader. They fill similar story niches as the 2nd in command with potential light-side leanings, but Darth Vader is the rage of man who has lost everything and lives in constant emotional and physical agony. Kylo Ren is a punk kid with more power than he can understand, use effectively, or even really knows what to do with.

True. But after wasting Han shit just got real. You really think he'll turn back to the light?
>>
>>67963900
>Rey is beloved by all

Who? Fin and Han Solo?

>better at everything than anyone

Her skills are piloting, the force and lightsaber fighting. Exactly the same as Luke.

Both are amazing pilots from the start of the trilogy with no real explanation.

Both have amazing raw potential with the force that needs to be trained. She manages to do some stuff before any training starts (and has to try multiple times before she succeeds) and Luke didn't; big whoop.

Luke gets some very limited "training" from Obi-Wan in which he waves a lightsaber around in front of a robot, then Yoda teaches nothing but the force with absolutely nothing on lightsabers and he goes on to beat Darth fucking Vader, who's meant to be insanely good. Rey presumably spends a lot of her life fighting with that staff of hers and other weapons and beats an emo Vader wannabe. I don't know why the latter is seen as so much more unreasonable.

>always makes the right decision

She probably wouldn't have got caught by Kylo Ren if her decision making was so great.
>>
File: 1459924153613.png (811 KB, 800x560) Image search: [Google]
1459924153613.png
811 KB, 800x560
>>67965513
Why do you memers do this? Luke is so far away from Rey it's not even funny. She did everything in the entire freaking movie. Luke developed over 3 movies. Rey magically knew everything.
>>
>>67965513
>and he goes on to beat Darth fucking Vader, who's meant to be insanely good

He gets utterly trashed in his first fight with Vader and only wins the second fight because Vader was deeply conflicted the entire time after all of Luke's pleading. He was never out to kill his own son.
>>
>>67965535
I hardly think she was handled as well as Luke was, but all the Mary Sue stuff is exaggerated as hell. Realistically, it makes sense that she would be a better fighter even in the first movie than Luke was in the third one; but of course Luke had better character development given that he got rekt by Vader in his first bout. She didn't "know everything", she fluked her way through 2 force tricks after Kylo Ren exposed her to that sort of use of the force.
>>
>>67965513
>Her skills are piloting, the force and lightsaber fighting. Exactly the same as Luke

The only skill Luke has in ANH is the piloting and aiming. He's shit with the force and fighting with the lightsaber in the second film, and still only manages to grab a rock in the Rancor pit and lift up a chair to impress the Ewoks in ROTJ.
>>
>>67965488
I dunno when. But yes.

Not just cuz it's Disney. But can you imagine how fucking dull his arc would be if they just said, nah, he's evil forever, without even a single moment of redemption. I dunno about light side, but jedi and sith really don't need to fight all the time. There interests can align. All it really needs is for him to get pissed at Snoke. Then he's working with the good guys. Then he's hearing the good guy spleel and saying, hm, I guess my life does currently suck a bit.

I dunno if he lives or dies, if he goes full light or just has a few moments of it, or if he fucks off to the end of the galaxy when it's all done, but he'll have his moment where his obviously weakened certainty is shaken to the point where he takes action.
>>
>>67963433
why is Rey next to Ron Weasley and Snape
>>
>>67963380
Because it kills two birds with one stone. Most men are cuckolds who will happily pretend to like Star Wars and its feminist message on the off chance they might get sex out of it. They're deluded.
>>
File: 1459967543710.png (251 KB, 387x397) Image search: [Google]
1459967543710.png
251 KB, 387x397
>>67965571
>she fluked her way through 2 force tricks after Kylo Ren exposed her to that sort of use of the force.
Making minor mistakes doesn't mean she isn't a mary sue. A Mary Sue character knows shit they shouldn't. Even if we don't know her back story yet, but if she lived on Jakku there's no way she should know those things.
>>
I hope episode VIII will suck.
>>
>>67965431
What would a MANLY MAN have done in that scene, pray tell?

>"Luke please don't leave me to die on this exploding death star"
>"Pssh nothin personnel dad"
>>
well luke did destroy the death star when he flew an x-wing for the first time
>>
>>67965585
mite b cool

I'm thinking it might have something to do with Leia, since with Han gone she has no real role to play in the story anymore, except maybe as a surrogate mother to Ren (and Ren already has Maz and Luke for that)
>>
>>67965578
And I agree that she was given too much ability too fast, but the piloting is no different to Luke, the fighting actually makes sense with her background and they go out of their way to show her force powers as not mastered yet. She isn't as massively OP as made out to be; she beat Kylo but he's an emotionally unstable little bitch that gets away with acting like top shit because he has the force and everybody else doesn't. Introduce somebody else with the force to oppose him and wew, he's not so powerful.
>>
>>67965666
X-Wings have the same control and feel as T-16's, which he's long familiar with.
>>
>>67965585
>jedi and sith really don't need to fight all the time.
But Jedi are guardians of the peace and sith's primary goal is power. Even if they wouldn't fight all the time, their way of life can't coexist
>>
>>67965620
Kylo got into her mind with the force and she suddenly discovered she could do force stuff too when she realised she could push back. Does it need to be spelled out for you to accept it?
>>
File: 9nNVK23.jpg (69 KB, 750x366) Image search: [Google]
9nNVK23.jpg
69 KB, 750x366
>>67965711
i love star wars fans they are a funny lot
>>
>>67965685
*Rey not Ren
>>
>>67963380
>>Disney buys Star Wars to get a male demographic
Your whole premise is incorrect. This thread is moot.
>>
>>67965691
>The piloting is no different to luke

>The scavenger who's never flown in her life is no different to the farm boy who literally flies a crop duster and practices his aim on tiny moving targets for fun

Stop talking like it's confirmed that she has a history of force training that she's forgotten. It's not implied in the film, it's inferred by shills like you reaching for an explanation of why she's not a Mary Sue. Protip: She is.
>>
>>67965711
SW fanboys are the worst because they'll just say, "IT WAS THE FORCE!" whenever a mary sue happens. And what are you going to say? Argue that the force doesn't work that way? What is canon if the EU was destroyed? What is canon if a mary sue can suddenly do everything?
>Doesn't matter, a mary sue is still a mary sue even in fantasy\sci-fi settings, they're just even more powerful
>>
>>67965770
>Stop talking like it's confirmed that she has a history of force training that she's forgotten

But I don't believe that at all. I believe she has never been trained in the force, but she has raw potential and something happened with that potential in the events of this movie. Something implied in the movie's title.
>>
File: hacks landis.jpg (24 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
hacks landis.jpg
24 KB, 540x405
>>67965770
Calm down Max. You're just annoyed because you look like Kylo Ren.
>>
>>67965703
True. Sith and Jedi eventually come into conflict.

I'm just saying that it's not a problem for them to team up to deal with something bigger. And then...
>Kylo, the lonely loser who prays for strength enough to stay a baddie
>meets Finn and Poe bro-ing down, Rey rocking with them
>also Rey is a QT
>suddenly Kylo is experiencing a more happy, positive environment than he has dealt with in many years

It's not a long walk to doing grey knight shit, at least for a bit.
>>
File: The Mary Sue Awakens.png (1 MB, 1267x787) Image search: [Google]
The Mary Sue Awakens.png
1 MB, 1267x787
Everyone knows it.
>>
File: tumblr_o3xbrvGX6j1up9aq7o1_500.png (255 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3xbrvGX6j1up9aq7o1_500.png
255 KB, 500x283
>>67965650
Well there's stuff like pic related that portrays him as manly and stoic, when that wasn't the case at all.
>>
>>67963433
>>The strong, male characters are pushed into the background when they should be the protagonist

>should be

kek
>>
>>67965846
Yeah but he killed his dad and the jedi, he seems pretty set on the dark side. It seems more like he was just wasn't full baddie in the beginning of the movie and we'll see more of his full dark side power in the next movie if anything
>>
>>67965853
His actions were though. The only crime Luke committed was being played by Mark Hamill, who happened to never look or sound any more manly, and also disfigure himself.
>>
>>67965691
Rey is not a Sue, but I don't think it can be denied that she accomplished too much too soon, to the point where there's very little room for her to grow.
>>
>>67965948
>to the point where there's very little room for her to grow.
>Star Wars THE FORCE AWAKENS
>next movie
>Star Wars REY UNLEASHED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkBiYpD3SDc
>>
File: 145678909876500.jpg (114 KB, 475x600) Image search: [Google]
145678909876500.jpg
114 KB, 475x600
>>67965928
But don't you see anon, Luke not being manly is a good thing, it's a refreshing subversion from usual male heroes in fiction. Hamill is perfect as Luke.
>>
>>67965948
I don't deny that. I honestly think that the bits where she surprised Kylo by turning the force mind probe thing on himself and managed to mind trick the stormtrooper were perfectly fine, but her beating Kylo in the lightsaber fight was a bad choice and them blowing their load way too early. They either should have had her hold off for a little while but with him obviously having the upper hand, then the fight is interrupted and they escape or just leave out the fight completely and have them escape straight after Kylo is bowcastered.
>>
File: sad god.png (145 KB, 509x368) Image search: [Google]
sad god.png
145 KB, 509x368
>>67965852

If I was a feminist I would be pissed.

It took 3 movies for Luke to get strong enough to defeat his father. 3 movies to beat a broken man sustained only by his choices, bits of technology and his anguish. A man who through all that was the most terrifying thing the Empire could field. 3 movies and even then he needed the broken and defeated old man to save him from the Emperor.

Meanwhile, women get a an invincible plot armor woman who only has to go up against a temper tantrum throwing prissy with daddy issues.

They should feel insulted.
>>
File: 0724 - fK3MDbF.jpg (85 KB, 700x1077) Image search: [Google]
0724 - fK3MDbF.jpg
85 KB, 700x1077
>>67966031
>They should feel insulted.
Should, yeah. But they loved it and Disney knew they would.
>>
>>67966031
This. But women and feminists don't care as long as she's "strong" "independent" and mostly flawless (aka boring).
>>
File: traitor.jpg (22 KB, 500x222) Image search: [Google]
traitor.jpg
22 KB, 500x222
>>67966024
at least he managed to perform spine surgery on traitor boy
>>
File: Darth Angst.png (74 KB, 233x205) Image search: [Google]
Darth Angst.png
74 KB, 233x205
>>67966024
>kylo doesn't need to wear a mask, just does it to look badass
>ren disfigures his face in lightsaber duel, giving him reason to wear the mask

the poetry continues
>>
>>67966031

>They should feel insulted.

In case you haven't noticed the true believers haven't even noticed that they've turned into a parody of all the things they were supposed to hate and to be against. Expecting them to figure out anything is way too much.
>>
>>67966031
Feminists are morons who don't realize personality flaws and difficulties make good characters.

Rey was exactly what they wanted.
>>
>>67965762
No you're wrong, that's exactly why they bought LucasArts. Disney has always struggled getting the attention of male audiences.
>>
>>67963724

Indiana Jones isn't a mary sue. He fucks up, he get's caught, some people from his past hate him, he has daddy issues, he's affraid of snakes, people overpower him and he only gets away through luck or having better weapons (guy hits propellor, indy shoots swordman).

But he isn't a deep character either. He is more defined by his constume and what he does than being a complex individual. Although he's not a mary sue, he still is a viewer insert, where people want to be him (or be with him). That's one reason Crustal Skull was so weak. Indy doesn't work as an old guy who reunites with a long lost lover. Indiana Jones isn't fucking Before Sunset.
>>
Fuck off, cishet white boy. Hollywood has enough testosterone as it is
>>
>>67963380

It's not a "feminist power fantasy", OP. At least when your stupid idea goes tits-up you can pretend you were being ironic precisely *because* it was so stupid.
>>
>>67963506
Nice toy collection fag.
>>
>>67967783
>cishet white boy

ever notice, anon, how the people to whom being thought of as "cishet white boys" always seem to be the awkward slobs and failures while the ones out there succeeding at whatever it is "cishet white boys" do aren't even familiar with the expression and would just find it embarrassing if it was explained to 'em by one of our numerous snuffling fedoras? sheerest coincidence, I'm sure
>>
>>67968147
>people to whom being thought of as "cishet white boys" is most important

fucking shit. in a past decade I'd have been caned within an inch of my life for that mistake and you know what? I'd have deserved it
>>
>>67965853
That would have been retarded. he looked stoic and masculine at Vader's funeral. Which he attended in solitude because no one else thought to honor the fallen.
And plus, Vader probably weighs upwards of 4 hundred pounds with his robotic limbs and armor. You try princess carrying a 7 foot tall cyborg right after being nearly electrocuted to death.
>>
>>67963402
It literally hasn't though, TFA got so many views because it was the first but it literally put off most of their previous viewer base for good.
>>
>>67963380
Because you eat that shit up. It's up to you entirely.
>>
>>67968264
Luke not being a super macho dude and instead being a small twink is a positive aspect of his character.
>>
>>67963380
I was on Reddit the other day, I was really surprised how much people love this movie. For once a 4chan meme was correct. People on Reddit truly are simple sheep.
>>
>>67963433
>that image
Fuck me, I like Driver and Gleeson and the roles they play, right,

But boy did they miss an opportunity to make who was going to be Kylo Ren a Sith Lord played by a rough-looking Andy Serkis with a Ben Solo apprentice. I'm really gonna miss the Siths.
As for Space Hitler, he's just too young to seem entirely intimidating and masculine.
>>
I'm a FemAnon, I'm glad Star Wars is for us now, so I can actually be interested in these movie when my bf drags me to them.
>>
File: 2.png (11 KB, 470x454) Image search: [Google]
2.png
11 KB, 470x454
>>67965513
>>
>>67968545
I agree. He's in over his head. he has to actually struggle and suffer to get things done. Heroes who are always at a disadvantage are the only true heroes.
Over powered Sues/Stus are good only for power fantasy escapism.
>>
>>67963380

BECAUSE IT'S 2016, SITH LORD
>>
>>67968086
Thanks. :^)
>>
>>67965318
It's so dense, every scene has so much going on.
>>
>>67965571
Keep trying to defend the awful script, Rey does literally know everything with no explanation. From scavenger on Jakku to pulling off mind tricks in a short space of time without being shown how to do it.

I think the casting is great and the character has a lot of potential, but the writing is garbage.
>>
File: 132.jpg (58 KB, 480x479) Image search: [Google]
132.jpg
58 KB, 480x479
>>67965711
Yeah, sure.

Keep defending the awful writing.
>>
>>67965770
Shills gonna shill, Rey had a lot of potential as a character but JJ's garbage writing ruined it.
>>
File: CZbnqu4WAAAAtKd.jpg (28 KB, 1024x575) Image search: [Google]
CZbnqu4WAAAAtKd.jpg
28 KB, 1024x575
>>67965711
That's not how the force works!
>>
File: 1406249477354.png (61 KB, 468x596) Image search: [Google]
1406249477354.png
61 KB, 468x596
>watches movie about magical space warriors
>gets mad because the space magic doesnt work logically

asspain and autism, a winning combination
>>
>>67968346
Lol r u legit.
>>
>>67966031
This, so much this.

I have no problem with a female lead but Rey's character arc is bullshit and anyone honest enough can see it.

If I were a feminist I'd be pissed as well.
>>
But will Rey have sexy time?
>>
>>67966435
Indeed, feminists seem to believe that every single female character must be the 'strong and independent' archetype.

They seem to believe that a character that is the total opposite of that is somehow anti-female for some reason, it's crazy and is why recently we end up with the exact same characters time and time again.

This sort of writing to appease these zealots is what leads to bland characters.
>>
File: oxreoIPCVzIzsmJ-1600x900-noPad.jpg (38 KB, 620x348) Image search: [Google]
oxreoIPCVzIzsmJ-1600x900-noPad.jpg
38 KB, 620x348
>>67963380
Because it's 2016 people! C'mon!
>>
>>67963380
I rather watch hot young looking women with their little titties and asses bouncing around than Mark Hamill's ugly mug. It's all dumb shit anyways, so make me cum Disney
>>
>>67963380
The men will watch regardless
>>
>>67969304
I mean... at least you're honest and I can respect that hahaha
>>
>>67969147
in TFA there hadn't even been a lightsaber fight anywhere in the galaxy for 30 years, before ren was even born. is it any wonder he can't use a lightsaber for shit
Think of the skill the jedi had in the prequel trilogy. then everything went to shit when the empire emerged and the surviving jedi were more poorly trained and disciplined. luke needed help defeating the emperor because that motherfucker was an old school republic era sith who had the training and skills of that bygone time.
and then with the fall of the empire things went even further to shit and now the only people who can wield the force in TFA are pretty untrained, undisciplined and undevoted.
but i guess you retards couldn't figure that out by yourselves huh?

also did you know you get to see rey's bewbs in silent witness
>>
File: 14567890876500.gif (2 MB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
14567890876500.gif
2 MB, 600x300
>>67969304
>Mark Hamill's ugly mug

Fucking kill yourself.
>>
Finn is literally just jar jar binks without the over exaggerated nigger face

I don't see why people like him
>>
white males had their time to shine

step aside cis scum, the future belongs to Poc
>>
Are they actually panding to the YA audience?
>>
>>67969491
no, it's supposed to be a gritty, realistic flick
>>
>>67969491
The last shot in this trailer is right out of Hunger Games.
>>
>>67963497
Go back to Tumblr faggot
>>
>>67969304
>preferring a butch boy with a manly face over cute Lukefu

disgusting
>>
>>67969382
and this explains why Rey all of a sudden knows how to do literally everything?

Keep drinking the Disney kool-aid.
>>
>>67963380
Because Latina women and their children are the most likely to put their asses in movie theatre seats.
>>
>>67969382
You... You do realise it's explicitly shown Ren led the destruction of the Jedi order under Luke? Keep talking out your ass to defend your bad character
>>
suggest a change for rey's character that would make the force awakens a better movie.
protip: you fucking can't because you're dumb
>>67969613
she can resist ren's mind control because he's only ever used it on non-force users and he basically sucks.
she can mind control a pleb stormtrooper, after the minimal practice she got by flexing on ren which is kind of a stretch i give you that
and she knows how to hit people with a stick from growing up on a rough ass planet, so obviously she's going to be able to hit people with a laser stick too.
>>67969707
you're shitting me, when does that happen?
>>
>>67969754
It's literally shown in the film and referenced several times, remember those knights of ren and the scene of them in the rain surrounded by corpses? Luke's great regret?
>>
>>67969394
>>67969603
Lukefags are worse than Reyfags and Kylofags combined
>>
>>67969784
during rey's flashback? guess i'll have to watch it again and look out for that
>>
>>67969811
No they aren't, Reyfags and Kylofags shit up literally every thread, while Lukefags have quieted down immensely since they're on /wsg/.
>>
>>67969451
>poc

Pissed off cunts?
>>
>>67969754
Rey would have been a lot more interesting if she didn't literally know how to do everything with no explanation, the writing is so bad it hurts which is a shame because she could have been an interesting character.

inb4 'but she obviously had training when she was younger and then they wiped her memory and dumped her on Jakku...' That's Tumblr-tier shit trying to make excuses for poor writing and speculation at the very best.
>>
>>67970101
i'm still going with the explanation that she's only used force powers on ren and a stormtrooper, and that she succeeded with ren because he is just plain bad.

sure he has that scene in the flashback where he actually manages to kill some people but they're just students, not proper jedi. but then apparently he got the nickname "jedi killer" which really does make no fucking sense. maybe the people shitting on the story are correct.
hopefully JJ can pull off some kind of decent explanation in the next couple of movies though. it's not completely unsalvageable at this point, not by a long shot
>>
File: 1452640997024.jpg (747 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
1452640997024.jpg
747 KB, 2240x1344
>>67963447
>>
File: 1452640979106.jpg (78 KB, 750x575) Image search: [Google]
1452640979106.jpg
78 KB, 750x575
>>67970462
>>
>>67970101
I guess the problem with rey's character within the context of the movie is that there are literally no jedi left anywhere in the galaxy when her force powers "awaken" so there is a real problem of how she develops those powers in the beginning. The only possible mentor available is Ren. I bet there was an original draft script where she gets fucked over much worse after she originally gets captured and put at Ren's mercy, he briefly gives her some kind of induction to the force to try and bring her to the dark side, she gets a little bit of training then something happens to bring her back to the good side and she escapes.

This would have made the movie more interesting and I bet some asshole at Disney fucking cut it out
>>
>>67970462
>>67970498
FINN WAS A BETTER CHARACTER THAN POE

RRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>67970722
Finn doesn't have a cool looking mask or shiny lightsaber.
>>
>>67963724
>Master Chief
>A Mary Sue

I love this meme. It has been said multiple times in the books and other media that he is a nothing compared to some other Spartans, but the reason why he is one of the few remaining ones is because he is so lucky.

And yet he still gets his ass kicked by everyone and needs saving all the time.
>>
>>67970614
That would make sense and would have made her character a lot more interesting,

Instead we ended up with Rey from the middle of nowhere with no knowledge of the force who can all of a sudden do mind tricks and beat actual trained warriors like Ren and is never in any peril and never makes the wrong decision. Whether or not she is a Mary Sue I can totally see why people would think she is.
>>
>>67970974
Notice how Reyfags always pull that one out when people point out the obvious reasons why she's a Mary Sue?
>>
>>67963724
>Jesus
>Mary sue

Bad shit happened to Jesus all the time m8
>>
>>67970974
>>67971079
The first lines of Halo 3 are Cortana talking about how Master Chief was never the smartest, strongest, or best spartan.
And if you actually think, you'll notice that he was not directly responsible for most of the major events of the trilogy. That was Guilty SPark and the Prophets. He just stirred things up periodically by interfering.
He's definitely a Sue in the 343 games. A special snowflake with super powers.
>>
>>67971197
But those games aren't canon
>>
>>67963380
Male/female lead doesnt really matter if the script is good tho.

And if they just make the female lead act like a strong female and not a guy with tits and tight pants. I'm not going to pay to see any more star wars movies anyways, so i dont give a shit.
>>
>>67964641
Have you seen the movie?

She got dumped on Not-tatooine when she was a little kid. How much training could she have at 6?
>>
>>67971513
I'm surprised how she didn't end up as a sex slave for a Hutt or something.
>>
>>67971553
Not all hutt are like Jabba, you know
>>
>>67971553
her planet was rated PG
>>
>>67963380
Because you'll watch it anyway.
>>
File: STARCUVL;.jpg (74 KB, 548x951) Image search: [Google]
STARCUVL;.jpg
74 KB, 548x951
>>67963433

What went so fucking wrong bros? This isn't the Star Wars I know and love.
>>
>>67970462

>even TFW's lamest character Commander Plasma is outselling Finn

ayyyy
>>
They should get Lucas to direct a Vader anthology movie with him hunting Jedi. Shit would be fucking filthy.
>>
>>67971490
The script is fucking awful though, hence why people are calling Rey a Mary Sue.
>>
>>67963724
None of these are Sues. Shitty bait again.
>>
>>67968652
And here is the great lie...

For you? Oh sunshine, don't you know that wealthy actors, a giant budget, and a cast of progressive tropes has nothing to do with you.

Bruce Willis doesn't make my life better.
Katniss/Rey/whoever's next has no impact on yours.

You are a targeted demographic. Just another ticket sale, that is all.
>>
>>67971632
Those Skywalker boys sure are dreamy~
>>
>>67969440
Finn's popularity isn't an issue of admiring him, but rather a question of relief. He was funny, struggled with bravery, and came through, but he wasn't the alpha big dick negro white woman pussy slayer that everyone essentially expected.

He was basically a normal character, and pleasantly surprised the audience by not being poster boy for how amazing black people really are
>>
>>67963380
because manchildren will watch it no matter what and they want the female audience

also it protects them from accusations of whatever buzzword
>>
>>67968652
Why do you need to see yourself in a film to be able to enjoy it?

I couldn't give a flying fuck who is in it as long as the script is good, TFA however has an awful script.
>>
>>67971994
As is the modern world, all they have to do is drop in a current progressive trope or buzzword and the media and useful idiots will do their job for them and defend the film from genuine criticism.

It's kinda genius in an evil sort of way.
>>
File: 1451090071222.jpg (69 KB, 836x549) Image search: [Google]
1451090071222.jpg
69 KB, 836x549
>>67972062
Don't mansplain this to me, cis-scum.
>>
Instead of endlessly argue whether Rey was a Mary Sue or how much of her feats can be explained away with "she's obviously a technician/warrior/strong force user", I think we could just agree on this:

The movie rushed things a bit too much to move the plot forward. Rey's skills maybe weren't that improbable, but the problem is that the movie doesn't give her time to fail or put effort, because it needs results NOW. She needs to be in the next scene in like forty seconds, so whatever problems she might have she needs to overcome them as fast as possible.

That's what to me is the problem with "her". She's likable enough, she botches things here and there, but the movie needs her to glide through the events.
Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.