[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about the Lord of the Rings films that are so emotionally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 27
What is it about the Lord of the Rings films that are so emotionally captivating? I've seen each of them numerous times and they're some of the only movies that are able to make me cry like a bitch. I don't mean like full-on sobbing, just tears streaming down my face at certain scenes that I can't even control. I wonder how much of it has to do with the subject matter, themes like honor, loyalty, responsibility, friendship, etc., but more importantly, how much of it is indebted to the source material and how much is indebted to Jackson's directing. It seems pretty obvious that no one could ever hope to achieve a better film adaptation of Tolkien's LOTR books than what Jackson was somehow able to achieve.

Side question: Why were the Hobbit movies so shit?
>>
Because the movies are secretly about Brendan Fraser's decline and eventual rebirth.
>>
It's in the music
>>
>>67954310
They're not that great, and the CGI has aged like milk.

Go away.
>>
>>67954366
>Trying to impress people on an anonymous Burmese sky diving forum by being contrarian
Literally why
>>
>>67954366
>Objectively Wrong Opinion: The Post
>>
>>67954310
I agree that the adaptations are above and beyond anything that I could have expected from an "unfilmable" book series. I think that they were ultimately just the result of an incredibly lucky coming-together of very passionate people working together to create the best adaptation of a world that they could. If you watch the behind-the-scenes extras (Big-atures and such) that dedication really shows through.
I don't think that dedication was there with The Hobbit, and (while I don't know) I don't think Jackson really wanted to make three more movies. I think the studio had a very set idea of what The Hobbit would be and they threw a bunch of money at a bunch of people to make it happen.
>>
>>67954310
I can't put my finger on it either, but I have a feeling it's partly cause of 1) well acted and directed and 2) just a fucking incredibly beautiful score. Those two combined just make a just , I don't know ... to me its the perfect movie. I love a lot of movies, but this one is just above and beyond. Never hurts to have an amazing cast either.
>>
It is one of the only book to movie adaptations that took the already great source material and translated well enough to film so that it could not only please the reading fanbase, but tell a good story about power and good vs evil well enough to appease just about any lover of fantasy movies.

Sure it left out some scenes from the books, but it made up by not complicating things with too many characters, as well as adding the right kind of drama and tense feelings that the books lacked in some slower parts.

These movies were great and are still great.

I'm trying my hardest to forget about the hobbit trilogy.
>>
>>67954513
>just the result of an incredibly lucky coming-together of very passionate people working together to create the best adaptation of a world that they could
Isn't that the best thing you could possibly hope for? I can't think of a great film that wasn't the product of passion.
>>
>>67954310
amazing source material
quality of adaptation was a priority over making a profit
came before (maybe started?) the huge adaptation/sequel/trilogy craze
cast and crew bonded and had a singular vision
>>
>>67954310
The performances, cinematography, and music are all outstanding.

The problem with the Hobbit movies is that they relied on a bunch of shitty CGI. When the originals were made, CGI sucked so they only used it to supplement the practical sets and effects. Thousands of practical weapons and suits of armor were made, real animals were used.

In the Hobbit trilogy the main villain is a totally CGI character that looks like shit. Whole armies ride fucking CGI animals, the massive battles look like a cut scene from a second-rate video game and it is all in service of a lame story.

The Hobbit as a book is a fun adventure tale for children. The decision to stretch a small children's book over almost 9 hours of runtime was ill advised. You get a lot of filler and boredom, punctuated with comically stupid CGI scenes. (e.g. the barrel fight).

And the overall story of the movie is rather pointless. In the LOTR trilogy they were fighting to save the world from an evil power that would enslave everyone. In the Hobbit they are just trying to get some gold. Who really cares if orcs get the gold? What are they gonna do with it?

TL;DR The Hobbit trilogy was a cynical cash grab with shoehorned characters and subplots, that couldn't compete with the scope and GOAT soundtrack of LOTR (also Andy muthafuckin Serkis)
>>
>>67954806
>Isn't that the best thing you could possibly hope for?
Yes. I can't imagine a better film adaptation of the books. I wish the extended editions were longer.
>>
File: 886.gif (917 KB, 245x254) Image search: [Google]
886.gif
917 KB, 245x254
Youre meeting the characters and learning about them for the first time, it also shows everyone going through a gauntlet of shit together whilest building their characters in the process, instead of war and fights like the other movies. Thee other movies have the emotional character moments too but the first movie is more prominent because youre seeing characters come into their place in the story during the first movie and see them going from jubilant and energetic to depressed and dismayed as time goes on, and thats always riveting, especially when its acted well and is gradual rather than sudden. Could go on about the cinematography acting and props too but the overall portrayal of the characters is what sets it apart from the other two movies in my opinion and even the Hobbit movies because they barely establish any of the fucking characters in those movies so you dont care about them and what theyre doing when things actually start happening. The focused on events in a story rather than characters in the events of a story.
>>
>>67954513
>I don't think that dedication was there with The Hobbit
It's weird since nearly everyone that worked in LotR went back to work in the Hobbit. And Jackson seemed really enthusiastic about the project when Del Taco was supposed to direct it.
>>
>>67954310
first of all the dedication and love which other have pointed out in the thread, but it's also the way the movies manage to really capture an epic scope that Ihaven't seen any other movie series do, so by the end you just feel like you've been through so much.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 108x120) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 108x120
I finally realized that 4chan is for highschoolers or immature people only. I think ive finally grown up past where this shit isnt even funny anymore. 23 now. I found this in highschool like many others did. So whose to think im not just chatting woth a bunch of highschoolers right now? I have never checked out reddit but im starting to think thats where you go when you grow up.

Thanks for listening
>>
>>67954366
>baiting /tv/ into replying how edgy you are: reddit the post
>>
>>67954310
>What is it about the Lord of the Rings films that are so emotionally captivating?

there were no black nor women(in a significant way) that would have destroyed the atmosphere among the fellowship.
>>
>>67955417
except jackson was mad when the filming started as he wasn't given enough time. even jackson kinda agrees that the hobbit is shit because he was gimped in time.
>>
It's interesting, too, because from a character perspective, the only characters that underwent any kind of real, meaningful story arc were the hobbits -- all 4 of them. Aragon isn't a character as much as he is a plot device, and same with Gandalf. The hobbits were the audience proxy characters, and their journey was our journey through the story. However, the scenes without them were also satisfying, because the world building in the series was amazing.
>>
File: 1366352689727.png (32 KB, 154x183) Image search: [Google]
1366352689727.png
32 KB, 154x183
If you've watched any of Jackson's other movies you notice how fucking ham he goes in every scene. Fucking Braindead and King Kong are filled with massive effects-driven scenes that aren't terribly substantive but work because of the general zaniness of the story. It really feels like the Hobbit movies were more about Peter doing his usual thing rather than beng faithful to the source material. I know a lot of behind the scenes producers and writers who were part of the LOTR trilogy didn't return for The Hobbit, and maybe it's just that he didn't have anyone to reign him in or just that he didn't have the time to do the adaption properly and the studio was pushing for bigger ticket sales.

Honestly thinking about it all just makes me love the LOTR trilogy more.
>>
>>67956754

I thought the set pieces in KK were pretty decent. Overly long but meaningful and with consequence. All those guys getting trampled and fucked up by those creatures changed the crew bit by bit.
>>
>>67956754
>producers and writers who were part of the LOTR trilogy didn't return for The Hobbi

Writers were the same plus Del Taco, and only one of the LOTR producers didn't return
>>
LOTR had insane pre-production time, and got all the reshoots the films needed to be better. That, and all the stars aligned in terms of casting. People who weren't really high profile actors all came together and gave career-defining performances. Jackson got thrown into the hobbit late, they weren't planned by him, and he had to rush the shit out of them to meet deadlines
>>
>>67954310
Many reasons: Sean Astin is an acting god. I don't know why this isn't common knowledge. A beautifull score that captured the tone of the movies perfectly.
Jackson, somehow, managed to make three movies about elves, hobbits, dragons, magic rings, orcs, wizards and what not, not seem tacky and citchy. People underestimate how drastically different these movies are from previous fantasy-films. Allthough there have been made many great fantasy movies before, they all have a certain level of campyness that is hard to look past. In LoTR this is reduced to an almost non-excisting amount. And they stayed true to the sourcematerial, got everything the fans wanted in there, and also managed to translate it to the screen in way that captured the grandourism and wonder of the books perfectly. And the story of these two small hobbits that go on this amzing journey is something that we all can relate two, because it's something we all dream of.

And Del Taco and the producers screwed Jackson with The Hobbit. Jackson dindu nuffin.
>>
Comfy
>>
>>67956457
Ok, thanks for sharing.
>>
>>67956954
Well, fuck. I'm going with lack of time and studio Jewry then. It's even fucking weirder to think the same people were responsible for the Hobbit movies.
>>
>>67957065
>Allthough there have been made many great fantasy movies before, they all have a certain level of campyness that is hard to look past.

Good point, but only to an extent, as this had been the trend for the past 15 years or so. But in the early 80s, fantasy was serious business. Excalibur, Fire and Ice, Conan the Barbarian, and others were very adult and played mostly straight. These things go in cycles and the public was ready for another serious fantasy series.
>>
>>67954363
Underrated post
>>
Probably one of the best pre-productions ever done in film, especially in terms of designing, set crafting, and prop building. They made details into everything, even things might only end up on screen for a split second.
>>
File: 1339928477930.jpg (41 KB, 495x480) Image search: [Google]
1339928477930.jpg
41 KB, 495x480
>>67956950
That's the fucking thing! I know that no one is in any fucking danger in any of the sequences in the Hobbit, e.g. escape from goblin town, elven barrel fuckery, getting chased by Beorn, that bullshit in the forges in Erebor. Not only are the entire cast untouchable in these sequences but they feel so artificial that there's not much immersion either. The flight to the ford in Fellowship was also fucked around with and anyone who read the books knew Frodo and Arwen/Glorfindel wouldn't get touched, but the action was gripping because those were real fucking people riding real fucking horses. If it had been 5 minutes longer and filled with shit like jumping off cliffs and avoiding falling mountains and slews of perfect CGI sword swings from the nazgul all expertly dodged in bullet time by Arwen; none of it would have had any fucking weight.

That's the thing that bugged me the most about the Hobbit trilogy, they went so crazy with every sequence that could have been much more toned down. My favorite moments are ones like the Misty Mountain song, and the scene where Gandalf goes to the tomb of the ringwraiths. There were so many moments in LOTR where a scene was carried by the score and amazing cinematography, it allowed you to fucking absorb some of what was going on, give you context of where the characters were and how the next scene would unfold. The Hobbit had so little of this and it fucking kills me.
>>
camaraderie

Also, Sam's speech in TT.
>>
Are girls touched in the same way guys are by these three films? I've watched this with friends and family over the years and whenever a scene showed up that was touching, like a moment of brotherhood, honor, loyalty, or whatever I couldn't help myself to look at the expression of the girls. They always look unperturbed by what was going on.

The horn of Gondor will blow one last time. God damn that line and Gimli's reaction to it never fails to make me want to be there for that fight.
>>
>>67957295
I'd say we're ready for another one. The standard fare of today for fantasy is folklore type gods duking it out with each other, with the main villain always wanting to wipe out every other race. They all have the same 300 color palette, too.
>>
>>67958501
>The horn of Gondor
>Gondor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6XicBBN1l4
>>
>>67958795
What can I say, it's been a while since I last watched it. I probably got it confused with the line about Boromir's horn washing up on shore.
>>
>>67954310
It's the way it was written. Tolkien was a master at subtly getting you emotional as fuck

As C.S. Lewis put it, "Here is a book that will break your heart"

It wasnt too hard for this to carry over onto film because Jackson stuck very close to the book
>>
>>67958795
I always laugh at that one guy in the cavalry charge just carrying the flag.
>>
>>67954310

Because you were a kid when you saw LOTR and have become a jaded "adult", too sophisticated to enjoy hobbitkino.
>>
>>67958501
women don't understand the feelings of brotherhood and honor, and not because "muh soogey knee boogeyman", but because these are masculine concepts, in a way LOTR and other books and movies of this type are what every boy dreams about, being the hero, win against all odds back to back with good friends, the bromance between warriors... when have you seen a girl fantasizing about these things? sure they can go spouting things like "Eowyn is so badass" and such but they will never understand the feeling most guys get when Aragorn gives his last speech at the black gate, or when Boromir recognizes Aragorn not only as king but his brother bother aswell, because this concepts are alien to their psyche
>>
It woulda been 10/10 movies with less midgets
>>
>>67959157
hey you can always use the flag as a spear and make an uruk-hai kebab in the process
>>
>>67954310
>Side question: Why were the Hobbit movies so shit?
Because they tried to turn a fairytale-like book for children into some sort of epic saga.
>>
>>67959180
Hmm, nice meme reddit cuck.

>>67958501
I'm a woman and lotr trilogy is my all time favourite and the themes affect me as deeply as anyone. My dad took me to the cinema to watch all three and I couldn't get enough, read the books after and loved them even more. Me and my dad still marathon the movies at least once a year
>>
>>67956457
>learning about 4chan in highschool
>not middle school

pleb trash you never belonged
>>
>>67959380
>marathon the movies at least once a year
>once a year

Only once a year? You disgust me you filthy pleb.
>>
>>67959180
>or when Boromir recognizes Aragorn not only as king but his brother bother aswell
My king. Just you reminding me about that scene got me feeling mushy.

I see the same sentiment about women not understanding these concepts when people talk about Master and Commander. I'm downloading it now. It was just very odd to me that when the scene was so focused on one of these aspects, coupled with the sappy music, that no discernible expression could be made out on the women I watched this with. Is it the testosterone that makes men more invested in battle scenes? I just don't get it. These were scenes that were obvious what message the filmmakers were going for, yet it seemed like it didn't phase them.
>>
>>67959416
sorry anon, I'm not a degenerate neet
>>
>>67959452
fuck off
>>
Thread theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gLd7rpBJlY&nohtml5=False

OP, I think it's a combination of all those things you listed.

It's a timeless story about the pursuit of the so-called nobler aspects of life. Or maybe it's not even that complicated, it's just powerful on so many levels that anyone can find some common resonance with aspects of it.

It's about perseverance and a testament to the very best of what living breathing people can achieve.

I'm having a hard time typing this cause I just started sweating really, really profusely from my eyes.

I know it's corny, but you can feel a lot of love from the movie. In the way everyone acts, to the score, to the sets, to the world. It just screams passion.

While it might not be the greatest movie ever made, it is without a doubt proof of why movies should be made; what movies can be.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I'm gonna go have a drink.
>>
>>67959452
Fuck outta here. You also probably spend time well wasted on watching shitty movies and TV shows. Being more selective about what you watch doesn't make you a degenerate neet.
>>
Watching RotK is fucking brutal. You start to get emotional when the riders of Rohan show up, then you get even more emotional at "I can't carry the ring, but I can carry you!". By the time Sam and Frodo are lying on the side of the mountain you are barely keeping it together at this point, and then the farewell scene at the docks happens and its game over, just grab some tissues and weep cause there is no other option.
>>
>>67959747
I always start bawling at sam depressed convinced they were too die talking about
"if I were too marry someone it would have been her"
>>
>>67959431
To be honest, I think you're projecting your thoughts about women onto them. My girlfriend loves LOTR as much as I do, and we get sappy in all the right places. Women are perfectly capable of understanding these concepts.
>>
>>67959747
>the farewell scene at the docks happens
I always start sobbing when Aragorn bows to the Hobbits. Shit's heavy.

Then we get to the docks and Merry and Pippin just have that look of confusion when they realize Frodo isn't coming back.

Also this scene is massively underrated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rag_9J1ZC2g&nohtml5=False
>>
>>67959612
I think it's so important that Tolkien chose to start the story off from the perspective of the hobbits. They are the audience if the audience was teleported to middle earth. They are opened with and you see them in a very innocent and neutral position compared to the elves, humans, dwarves, and orcs. They have plenty of characterization from the start, but they're somehow malleable enough so they end up as very different hobbits from when we first see them so carefree in Hobbiton. It's really a testament to how a hard and sometimes fortunate life and change a person.
>>
>>67959747
>You kneel for no one.

and

>It woulda been her. It woulda been her...
>>
>>67959431
same happened to me when I have watched it with girls (be it friends, my mom or my sister) I read about the link between the psyche of both genders to this type of scenes and concepts in a book I don't remember the name, for what I can remember it said that this things resonated more with men for centuries they were male concepts and it has carried on to our times where most men long for things like this to escape this docile society, some shit like that dunno man, but that thing sounded quite right to me, also we have to take in account the concept of "power fantasy" (fuck I hate this buzzwords), for the modern women their power fantasy is to be the independent mary sue that needs no one to be the heroine, but for men it is and has always this concept of warrior bromance, also intrinsic behavior of the genders, in a way yes women talk about "the sisterhood" but just look at a group of girl friends and 80% of the time they are shitting on each other behind their backs and disband at the first sign of discomfort, whereas male groups most of the time (if no one is a fucking asshole) can be friends for life because of this concept of brotherhood and camaraderie that I don't know why seems to be hardwired on our brains
>>
>>67959839
Do you really think I'm projecting when I just said that I was trying to figure it out. I haven't made up my mind about it at all. Your girlfriend may very well understand it, but the women I've seen it with have not made their understanding of the films known to me, or obviously I wouldn't have this concern.
>>
>>67959833
>>67959905
These two as well, definitely. I dont think either of them are in the book if i recall correctly, top quality script writing 2bh
>>
>>67959839
of course there are girls who understand them but for most of them do not get the rush men do, I don't know why really might be just because of nerd autismo
>>
>>67959932
>>67959944
>>67959839
I watched the trilogy with my ex and at the end I'm just bawling my eyes out, and she gives me this dumb look, was a little odd.

That said, I know at 2 women that feel the same way about this series as I do--well maybe not quite as strongly.
One is my mom, and the other is the chick my ex was jealous of.
>>
>>67959852
>Also this scene is massively underrated.
There's a couple of severely underrated Gandalf moments IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrOqnZdvI6M

I never hear people talk about this scene as much as it deserves. Ian McKellen is a fucking God.
>>
>>67960109
Yeah. Really good one. Especially when coupled with TTT.

That was one of the better refrains in The Hobbit as well. Despite my issues with them, they had some good moments.
>>
>>67960109
The first time I saw this scene I was invested, but it didn't really strike me until Frodo's remembrance of Gandalf's words in his departure scene near the end. After seeing it once, I appreciated that scene much more than the first time, and still do.
>>
fuck now I want to watch the trilogy again, might aswell start watching it tomorrow since I don't have classes at uni
>>
Is this the greatest montage in film history?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIhnYFRu4ao
>>
File: 1373770164425.jpg (113 KB, 468x579) Image search: [Google]
1373770164425.jpg
113 KB, 468x579
>when I hear this, it always tears me up with nostalgia or some sort of melancholy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8lNjBu_Cao

the casting was pretty much perfect, and the score was just comfy and perfect.
>>
>>67954363

This to be quite honest family.
>>
File: The-Shire.jpg (224 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
The-Shire.jpg
224 KB, 1024x768
>>67960294
I feel ya, bro
>>
>>67960263
You should watch the directors cuts. They are like 4 hours each, if you have some time to kill
>>
>>67960294
the score might be the best film soundtrack in the last two decades

Cornencing hobbits makes me want to chill out under a tree having no worries about anything
>>
>>67960337
>Watching anything but the director's cuts
Why would anyone do this?
>>
>>67960337
of course I'll watch the extended ones, it's a sacrilege to watch the theatre cut when the extended ones exist
>>67960360
exactly
>>
>>67960340
For some reason it makes me think about the impending end of the white race and western tradition, and I get sad. Actually the whole trilogy has this effect on me. Too much /pol/ man
>>
>>67954363
10/10
>>
>>67960284
>And Rohan will answer

this gives me chills everytime
>>
>>67954310
because it was fucking epic and also small

the characters were human but also symbolic and there were sad parts and happy parts
>>
>>67959747
the track "The Mouth of Sauron" is one of my favorites for that reason. You have the pounding drums symbolizing the battle at the gates and at around 4:45 you have this juxtaposition in the beating drums of the flute/recorder playing a bit of a hopeful tune. It always brings a tear to my eye (and many other tracks and cues do that to me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHJDhwyIXpQ
>>
>>67959403
This tbqhwymgfam
>>
File: 1383501132101.png (28 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1383501132101.png
28 KB, 633x758
>tfw this started playing after the last Hobbit movie
Didn't like the movie much but this really got me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvB_nsKXew0
>>
>>67954366
Yeah youre so cool and edgy and cynical ok we get it man just stop there
>>
>>67960402
Complete ham. Why did he change his mind?
>>
>>67960503
do you want to make me cry?
>>
>>67960552
Duty comes first my friend
>>
>>67960390
The scene where Éomer complains about Théoden letting Saruman's troops roam free in Rohan is pretty fucking spot on.
>>
>>67960618
>>67960503
also I honestly cried when they released this song, It felt like I was saying farewell to a friend that has been with me since I was 10
>>
File: keekee.jpg (11 KB, 261x192) Image search: [Google]
keekee.jpg
11 KB, 261x192
>>67960294

every single time.
>>
File: and still not enough scotch.gif (237 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
and still not enough scotch.gif
237 KB, 600x338
>>67960503
>>
The hobbit had huge production issues.
https://youtu.be/SQkygZdZ_Vk
>>
File: Hackson.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Hackson.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>>67960927
>>
>>67954952

well said friendo
>>
>>67960984
“I didn’t know what the hell I was doing,” Jackson admits.
>>
>>67960927
Guillermo NOOOOOOOO
>>
File: 1446440013145.jpg (26 KB, 350x289) Image search: [Google]
1446440013145.jpg
26 KB, 350x289
>>67954310
They're not bad per se, but probably on par with most Marvel movies: generally well executed flicks that satiate the generally ignorant masses but something true film connoisseurs won't look twice at. The most blaring problem with them is the fact that Peter Jackson is given WAY too much credit for these movies. Most of the groundwork was already laid out by Tolkien with Jackson only proving that he can't into original ideas as evidenced by the steaming pile of fan fiction shit that was The Hobbit. Elijah Wood was just awful in these movies and although the actors for Aragorn and Gandalf gave solid performances, ultimately they were horribly miscast.
>>
>>67961060
Go back to bed, Vlad.
>>
File: that's bait.webm (358 KB, 1912x792) Image search: [Google]
that's bait.webm
358 KB, 1912x792
>>67961060
>but probably on par with most Marvel movies

and that's where I stopped reading
>>
>>67961060
>Aragorn and Gandalf were miscast
Literally what the fuck are you talking about. I would actually agree with you on most points but that is just straight bullshit m8
>>
>>67960984

is this on set for The Hobbit?
>>
>>67961111
checked
>>
>>67961127
Yeah, shortly after he found out the studio wanted a trilogy instead of just two movies
>>
>>67954363
>Cinema scores will never be this good again
>>
File: pra82jsxddiwekwbleft[1].jpg (28 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
pra82jsxddiwekwbleft[1].jpg
28 KB, 500x491
>>67961060
It's rare that you see a post this long where literally everything in it is wrong.
>>
>>67958501
Woman don't want to die violently or heroically
>>
>>67959380
MICHIGAN
I
C
H
I
G
A
N
>>
>>67961371
>Eowyn

Fuck off.
>>
It's because it's filled with european archetypes and themes galore, it resonates with the european soul and collective karmic/astral unconsciousness on a deeper level
>>
>>67960284
I don't know why, but I love this part so much.
>>
File: bait kun.png (99 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
bait kun.png
99 KB, 800x600
>>67954366
>>
File: dayofsex.jpg (8 KB, 201x250) Image search: [Google]
dayofsex.jpg
8 KB, 201x250
>>67954310

Theyre the last great movies we'll ever see without shoehorned minorities or leftist political fuckery

thanks jews
>>
>>67962138

This implies that Jews also provided you with those movies, so shouldn't you be thanking the consumer base for the change?

>minorities affecting the quality of a movie for you

Jesus, that sounds like a diagnosable and severe mental illness if you're that easily triggered. Similar to those people who can't go out into sunlight or something. What a living hell.
>>
>>67960294
>tfw you'll never be a comfy hobbit living in the shire
>>
>>67960886
>That perfect loop
I need a drink
>>
>>67962196

Ok jamal
>>
File: 1448953137161.jpg (68 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1448953137161.jpg
68 KB, 700x700
>watch LotR when it came out
>hell yeah action movies these are great
>watch the movies again recently
>actually tear up in the emotional parts

I can't cry, I'm a man. How do you deal with it?
>>
>>67960927
>3 and a half years of pre-production compared to 0 pre-production
Well

I wish Guillermo could have directed a single Hobbit movie, not some dumb trilogy. I think he would have done charming work.
>>
>>67962295

By aging a few years and recognizing that masculinity isn't defined by a lack of emotional sensitivity, even if your 75 IQ jock peer subhumans in high school said it was.
>>
>>67962295
You're just sweating, bro.

Just breathe in. Enjoy the life you have. Share the load.
The road goes ever on, anon. Down from the door where it began.
>>
File: black crime no.42984982.jpg (51 KB, 484x446) Image search: [Google]
black crime no.42984982.jpg
51 KB, 484x446
>>67962196

It's not that minorities are in the movies, nor any other such shit. It's that the constant terrible writing for identity politics is just making a putrid mess of movies.

You get 2h in a movie, and 10 minutes of it are
"haha this is for the gays"
"Haha this is for the blacks"
"haha this is for women! goooo women!"
Whereas it should just be
"STFU AND MAKE THE MOVIE GREAT AGAIN"

Plus, it's tough to see blacks as heroes when they are ripping cities apart. The best way to have your grievances heard is to tear your own fucking city apart!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52gA6MHdi7E
>>
File: 1459006977953.jpg (12 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
1459006977953.jpg
12 KB, 258x245
>>67962328
NERD LMAO
>>
>>67962416

leftists cant retain these kinds of facts

their sense of identity will not allow it, it will always be swept away from realization
>>
>>67958501
My gf loves the stuff, maybe even more than me all things considered.
>>
>>67962416
>Plus, it's tough to see blacks as heroes when they are ripping cities apart.

What? You can just see them as one of the blacks who isn't doing that. Are you retarded?
>>
File: 1412842790104.gif (762 KB, 245x150) Image search: [Google]
1412842790104.gif
762 KB, 245x150
>>67960503
Why was Battle of Five armies such a large letdown? I really wanted to like that movie, but it just is so fucking flawed. This song makes that fact hurt even more.
>>
>>67962302
I bet Jackson wishes the same thing, pretty sure this was the last thing he watched to end up directing, he was far happier in the producer's seat. He wants to do other stuff, but it will probably be a bit till he does anything considering how exhausting making these movies were.
>>
>>67962573
see
>>67960927
film was never meant to exist and got fukt as a result.
>>
>>67957548
This is spot on. They should have let the Hobbit's scenes speak for themselves, rather than inserting CGI bullet time shit every where.

That said, I liked the Hobbit overall.
>>
>Legolas! You're the man.
>>
>>67954310
>Why were the Hobbit movies so shit?

"Like butter, scarped over to much bread"
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
60 KB, 1280x720
>So much death.. .what can men do against such reckless hate?
>>Ride out. Ride out and meet them.
>For death and glory?
>>For Rohan. For your people.
>>>The sun is rising.
>Yes. YES! The horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the deep... one last time.
>>>Yes!
>Let this be the hour we draw swords together.
>Fell deeds awake.
>Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn!
BARRRRRROOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM
>Forth, Eorlingas!
>>
>>67960927
and yet, the hobbit trilogy is watchable, barely but watchable. What a waste of talent rush everything and send to garbage all the potential this 2 film have
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
91 KB, 1280x720
>>67963021
>Gandalf...

>>Theoden King stands alone.
>Not alone.
>ROHIRRIM!

>>Eomer!

>TO THE KING!
>>
Elijah Wood

No seriously.
>>
File: The Best.jpg (11 KB, 222x200) Image search: [Google]
The Best.jpg
11 KB, 222x200
>>67963109
The imagery and soundtrack of this scene is just captivating. One of the most epic moments in film.
>>
>>67963110
Not just him but the entire cast. They did a wonderful job, even Bloom.
>>
>>67958501
Used to know a QT hella into the films, up to my moderate standard of autism(ie, have most of the damn thing memorized). I don't know if she got exactly the same experience out of it that I did, but she loved them and was mad emotional bout the whole deal.

I know my current girlfriend has a pretty different take on things; she likes the films, but I dunno...she gets more emotional about Tauriel losing Kili than Aragorn listening to Boromir's final words.

Maybe it's just part of my childhood. I dunno. I did grow up on these movies.
>>
File: Middle-earth_finger.webm (3 MB, 638x360) Image search: [Google]
Middle-earth_finger.webm
3 MB, 638x360
>>67959366

So much this.
>>
File: 1456899868112.png (228 KB, 328x398) Image search: [Google]
1456899868112.png
228 KB, 328x398
ITT: manlets
>>
>>67954366
It's the one franchise both reddit and 4chan like. For the sake of epicness, can you at least PRETEND to like it?
>>
>>67954952
I hated how the Hobbit trilogy kept shoehorning in connections to the LOTR Trilogy, thus throwing subtlety out the window. I mean, dos we really need a battle scene with Elrond, Galadriel and Saruman that added up to nothing plot-relevant. It would have been better if they just cut out the Sauron sub-plot and kept Del Toro.
>>
>>67954363
>people spend millions on CGI
>spend a few hundred to buy the rights to a couple of songs
>if they do splurge they get Hanz 'bland' Zimmer to do the score
>>
>>67959366
they were shit because they swapped directors at the last moment and had extreme time constraints forcing them to overuse CGI

jackson doesnt deserve the blame he gets for them
>>
File: happy_merchant.gif (1 MB, 255x191) Image search: [Google]
happy_merchant.gif
1 MB, 255x191
>>67960927
nah fuck pre-production, just greenscreen my shit up goym
>>
>>67958501
Not really sure. Gf isn't a fan of them but I love them.
>>
>>67963109
it's pretty wicked that they make a cavalry charge into a hoplite formation though
>>
>>67954363
absolutely

I think so many scenes would be cringeworthy without the GOAT score
>>
>>67963021

let's just... you know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UayQi2tdJTw
Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.