[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best horror movie released between 1990 and19999?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: IKWYDLS-Poster.jpg (33 KB, 618x412) Image search: [Google]
IKWYDLS-Poster.jpg
33 KB, 618x412
Best horror movie released between 1990 and19999?
>>
Event Horizon
In the Mouth of Madness
The Devil's Advocate
Dead Alive
>>
Audition
>>
>>67949422
That movie is fucked up and shouldn't have been made
>>
>>67949488
Hence, the best horror film of the 90s.
>>
>>67949618
This.

>>67949488
>bawww that movie shouldn't exist because i don't like it
Watch something else. Censorship does not exist at your convenience.
>>
>>67949488

Since someone actually feels that way, then it sounds to me like it's a good shortlist candidate for OP's topic: best horror movie of the 90s.

Assuming it was actually released in that decade and all. I forget.

I like the Dead Alive/Braindead suggestion. That thing fucked with me the first few times, kek

It seems like the 80s and 70s were much more dominant periods for the genres though, since that is when so many modern properties, tropes, and worthy remakes were established. The sheer quantity of sequels ensured that they'd sorta-hit every once in a while, too.
>>
File: silence.jpg (64 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
silence.jpg
64 KB, 480x720
>>
File: ihbuDewas2eDMXA1WKHVoDbIYTh.jpg (123 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ihbuDewas2eDMXA1WKHVoDbIYTh.jpg
123 KB, 1280x720
Cure (1997) for the top-tier creepy atmosphere

Event Horizon for great production values and concept

Cube for ingenuity
>>
>>67948431
Why the fuck arent good horror films made anymore?
>>
mystery/detective > thriller > horror/suspense > shit > gore
>>
>>67950372
You have to look harder.
>>
>>67948431
Kinda early to call it.
>>
File: new_nightmare_2.jpg (690 KB, 890x1321) Image search: [Google]
new_nightmare_2.jpg
690 KB, 890x1321
>>
Cemetery man
>>
>>67950433
>you will never fuck johnny depps girlfriend
>>
One of the top 3 best horror films of all time came out in the 90s, Jacob's Ladder.

Probably my favorite movie desu
>>
>>67952316
That one was okay but they gave it away too early in the movie with that one lady. If you've never seen a movie before it'd be cool and a surprise though
i liked the hospital scenes
>>
>>67952368
What lady, the psychic? I didn't think it gave it away because there are so many red herrings, there are things that suggest stronger than that lady that the twist is something else, like the chemical testing thing.

Either way, I just love it for the subtle horror, terrifying hell scenes, well-done twist, and fucking amazing acting. You also have to remember it was one of the first horror films to use the dead the whole time twist.
>>
>>67950307

I thought of this, and although it has scary bits, it's a thriller, not a horror. It (and its source text) have somewhat higher ambitions, and don't revel in blood'n'spoops for blood'n'spoop's sake.

Intellectually this would oblige me to argue my case in detail, but happily I'm not enrolled in an art theory class so I can just, like, have opinions, man. Not a horror movie.
>>
>>67950423

No it isn't. It was over 15 years ago. That's a long chunk of anyone's lifetime. If you're going to reflect and form opinions on any period of recent history that you've actually lived through, that's a good place to start.
>>
Blair Witch Project
>>
>>67952755
He meant because it's between the years 1990 and 19999. that's like, a few dozen years
>>
That tanning scene in the sequel.

Hnnnnngh.....

And then there was jack black as the fat white Jamaican guy. I can't believe that was an actual character.
>>
>>67952769

When you actually watch Cannibal Holocaust and pay attention, you will understand that Blair Witch is completely derivative of it, soup to nuts, basic plot point by basic plot point, just ported to a different (similar) setting.
>>
Jacobs Ladder
Ghost
The Craft
Interview with a Vampire
>>
File: prettybigguy.jpg (60 KB, 328x450) Image search: [Google]
prettybigguy.jpg
60 KB, 328x450
>1990 was 18009 years ago
>>
>>67950334
Oh cool I just found a torrent for the Spanish Bluray of this, everything I looked at for it before was pretty poor quality wise or had hardcoded subs that were really distracting.
>>
Cube
Misery
Scream
Tremors
Flatliners
The Craft
Brainscan
Bad Moon
Dead Alive
Dr Giggles
Nightbreed
Candyman
The Faculty
Leprechaun
Child's Play 2
Stir of Echoes
Event Horizon
Sleepy Hollow
Demon Knight
Fire in the Sky
Arachnophobia
The Exorcist III
Jacob's Ladder
Pet Sematary 2
The Sixth Sense
Army of Darkness
Disturbing Behavior
Tales from the Hood
From Dusk Till Dawn
Bride of Re-Animator
The Devil's Advocate
Dellamorte Dellamore
Night of the Demons 2
Bram Stoker's Dracula
The Blair Witch Project
Night of the Living Dead
In the Mouth of Madness
The Silence of the Lambs
Interview with the Vampire
John Carpenter's Vampires
The People Under the Stairs
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
>>
Scream set the slasher standard in those days
>>
>>67953816

What a shit time.

>slashers
>most music
>most television
>>
The 90's weren't bad, really. Way ahead of 2000-2010. You'd be reaching to make a list that rivals >>67953729 if you went from 2000-2016. 1980's reigns supreme, tho.
>>
>>67953729
>that increasing name length

are you ocd or autistic?
>>
>>67948431
Scream or In the Mouth of Madness
>>
>>67954398
Maybe both. Leaning toward OCD. Increasing title length felt better than random titles
>>
>>67953729
Cool list. Not because of what you listed but the effort put in
>>
>>67954915
oh well anyway good list m80
>>
>>67953729
Cube or The Faculty are my top picks from the 90's.

Great list overall.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.