[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worldbuilding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13
What are some self-contained movies with great world building?
>>
>>67932138
Underworld
>>
John Wick

Half of the charm of the movie is the underground world of assassins. The cleaner dudes are cool as fuck.
>>
Problem Child 2
>>
File: flesh blood poster.jpg (572 KB, 1024x765) Image search: [Google]
flesh blood poster.jpg
572 KB, 1024x765
This other Verhoeven movie.
>>
The first Terminator
>>
>>67933273
>The cleaner dudes are fedora as fuck.
ftfy
>>
>>67933273
Best universe so far. Agreed. Also, best movie of 2014 easily.
>>
>>67932138
Night/daywatch

5th element
>>
>>67932138
>All the Mad Max films
>Children of Men
>Akira
>Her
>Minority Report

Although these are all pretty obvious. There's gotta be some sort of relativity between how far into fantasy your world is and how much of it you can imply to the audience in one film. Sci-fi dystopias seem to be near the sweet spot of realism and fiction that piggyback off of audiences' preconceived ideas, and tend to leave the biggest impressions of setting and lore.

also, I saw Serenity in theatres about a year or two before I even knew Firefly existed at all, and it gave a fantastic impression of that universe that didn't conflict at all when I eventually watched the show!
>>
The only good thing about the lobster
>>
>>67935671
>all the max max films
Nah.
First movie doesn't have the whole wasteland post-apocalyptic thing going on. Second relies on the first to show how bad things have become.
It keeps going from there.

Fury Road did a good job with it, but it's still the fourth movie and it's still a hard call to make if it can be praised for world-building even though it did introduce the setting to a new generation.
>>
Bladerunner, Escape from New York
>>
File: thx-1138-1970-13-.jpg (214 KB, 1200x929) Image search: [Google]
thx-1138-1970-13-.jpg
214 KB, 1200x929
>>67932138
>>
speed racer
>>
>>67933273
I do like that the world feels like it's always been there. It invites you into that whole world without explaining it.
>>
File: Elysium-Poster.png (2 MB, 1035x1404) Image search: [Google]
Elysium-Poster.png
2 MB, 1035x1404
>>67932138
The plot was better than most people give it credit for being, and it honestly reminded me a ton of old 80's pulp sci-fi stuff like The Running Man.

The worldbuilding was GOAT-tier

>ywn get to fly your Bugatti spaceship to a crisp Syd Mead-styled Ayn Randian paradise where molecular medicine and cybernetic implants will allow you to live for ever

>ywn live in a cyberpunk future favela where your criminal connections hook you up with a cybernetic powered exoskeleton and hypervelocity bullets to carry out hits for them.

Why even live?
>>
>2001: A Space Odyssey
>The Matrix
>Gattaca
>Pacific Rim
>1/2 of each of the Judge Dredd adaptations. The Stallone film nailed the tone of the environment, the 2012 film nailed the character
>>
>>67936578
I bet you think dredd was a good movie.
Either of them.
>>
Jupiter Ascending
>>
any studio ghibli movie
>>
File: 1459883725700.jpg (106 KB, 540x900) Image search: [Google]
1459883725700.jpg
106 KB, 540x900
>>67933273
This. Best movie I've seen in years.

I also enjoyed how the Continental actually enforced the rules by killing off that hoe that broke the rules.
>>
>>67936611
dredd 2012 was a good movie
>>
File: gattaca-cinema-quad.jpg (706 KB, 1050x795) Image search: [Google]
gattaca-cinema-quad.jpg
706 KB, 1050x795
>>67932138
>>
>>67935754
I almost removed that from the list actually, but taking your reply into consideration I think the only one that doesn't fit is Thunderdome, which operates as a strict sequel to Road Warrior.

The canon for the series is so loose that I can't not view MM1 as its own thing. The landscape is still relatively lush, it still reflects modern society but just... thinning? Lawyers and court and family and jobs and government still exist and are featured, but it's all diminishing. MM1 establishes the way this world behaves and feels effectively I think.

MM2 is in no logical way the same world. Same sort of concept and characterization definitely but the geography, language and culture presented would've taken generations to form since MM1. It's anecdotal I know, but friends who had only ever seen MM2 were very surprised when they saw the first and didn't have a feel for how the worlds connect, other than dystopias with highways.

MM3, like I said, an expansion of 2's world.

Fury Road's tough, again because it can't exist alongside any of the others logically. Now we have physical mutations and evolution which implies THOUSANDS of years have passed.
Fury Road moves quickly, too, it's essentially 90% action with no room for exposition. We essentially had an orange backdrop on which characters and vehicles were showcased, each injected with so much detail that the world building was more built on characterization and implication this time. Everyone you're shown is like a liaison for the part of the world they represent. (The dudes from Bullet Town for example, a place we never actually get to see.)

Long post but in a nutshell (besides 3) i think each of the Mad Max films did great, self-contained jobs of building three worlds all independent of each other.
>>
>>67936426
>yfw you realize that the director/author just wrote the entire plot to be one giant political stunt of how mexians deserve to invade our nice country and steal all of our shit.

fag
>>
>>67936611
I think Dredd 2012 is overrated, and I think that Dredd 1995 is underrated.

But I think they're both fun to watch, but they both have their fair share of imperfections.
>>
Star Wars: A New Hope

Seriously. They flesh it out in sequels and subsequent material but the initial film did the bulk of the work.
>>
File: oblivion.jpg (352 KB, 1022x1500) Image search: [Google]
oblivion.jpg
352 KB, 1022x1500
>>67932138

Liked Oblivion way more than I thought I would
>>
>>67936922
Agreed. It's really more style than substance, but the style is so damned good I don't care.
>>
>>67936891

Agreed. That movie rocked.
>>
>>67936814
>yfw you realize that Neil Blomkamp's family ran screaming from South Africa to settle in Vancouver, one of the whitest cities in existence, due to racial strife
>yfw you realize that the hidden implication of Elysium is that egalitarian policies will cause that Ayn Randian sky paradise that the intelligent, hard working people (((((whites))))) built on the backs of their own sheer ambition to crumble as it's overrun by the brown hordes who never did anything to help better their own circumstances, wallow in squalor as a result of their own ineptitude, yet expect the folks who actually did better their circumstances to give them constant handouts that they didn't actually work for
>yfw you actually realize that it's actually a /pol/-tier paradise lost story about the decline of space Rhodesia once you actually scratch the surface.
>>
>>67936816
>I think that Dredd 1995 is underrated.
Then your brain is dysfunctional
>>
>>67936744
found the redditor
>>
File: oblivion2.jpg (574 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
oblivion2.jpg
574 KB, 1920x1080
>>67936983

You are right- it was such a pretty movie to look at.
>>
>>67937089
>ctrl+f
>"twelve monkeys"
> 0 results

This is not right.
>>
>starship troopers
>underworld
>speed racer
>oblivion

They're not bad movies and they are capable in their world building, but let's be honest here: they're all adaptations of existing source material. The "world-building" is essentially just pulling the necessary elements out of existing material and making a short summary of it.
Why are we putting this on equal footing with projects that began originally as films, like Star Wars?
>>
>>67937173
What happened here
>>
File: hGjo3vzh.jpg (140 KB, 1024x560) Image search: [Google]
hGjo3vzh.jpg
140 KB, 1024x560
Pacific Rim
>>
Men in Black
>>
>>67937040
It's a mediocre Verhoeven-wannabe laden with a horrifically miscast lead, but at least it understood the incredibly Verhoeven-esque nature of the comic's setting and tone. The "Eat recycled food" gag, the over-the-top authoritarian imagery, and the gag about the flying superbike that didn't work were all spot-on.

The 2012 film meanwhile had a perfect Dredd set in a mediocre Neil Blomkamp ripoff with "edgy" bad guys and kitschy Matrix-wannabe effects that made it feel like Judge Dredd had been transported to a shitty Wachowski ripoff circa 2001.

Now, a humorless, unapologetically authoritarian Dredd kicking ass, smashing petty criminal skulls, and inflicting needless collateral damage in the 1995 movie's cartoonish, crumbling environment would have been the perfect Dredd film.

Go one step further, and keep Judge Rico as the "bad guy", but spin his character around so that he's a populist reformed judge leading an underground "power to the people" resistance against Mega City One's facist government, and you would have a GOAT piece of satirical kino on par with Starship Troopers.
>>
>>67937283
I wasn't paying attention and didn't delete the thread I was replying to before posting.

I'm sorry if I didn't live up to the standards of this board.
>>
>>67937219

Everything is a regurgitation anon- look at modern pop music
>>
>world building
die in an autistic fire
>>
>>67937366
Yes.
Why can't we live before 1910 when music didn't exist? The only good music after 1910 was the Beatles. All this new-age trash is just about getting money and sleeping around.
>>
>>67936786
The movies are part of the same world though. Mad MAx was the world before it blew up, Road Warrior was after, Thunderdome was post-post-apoc and Fury Road is now it's all just a shit show.

I mean you do wonder what was down the salt flats. The giant flats left over from the worlds oceans. What is the rest of the world like now.

But the world before the apoc was still very fucked up, the whole world was like 2 matchsticks from ignition it seemed.
>>
File: AKM-Close-Up.png (1 MB, 1700x956) Image search: [Google]
AKM-Close-Up.png
1 MB, 1700x956
>>67937299

>>67936578
Beat you to it

>ywn see a sequel

My helium tank is in the mail, senpai
>>
>>67936426
yeah seemed just like District 9.
>>
>>67937441
Love this shot of the Phoenix Hawk.
>>
>>67937406
>when all you're doing is mocking tolkien
that's how i know you're not a white man
>>
>>67937407

It's all about mind washing the masses, my friend. 1982 was a good year for music however.
>>
>>67937441
I look at this sequence of how good Weta got the Jaegers to look during the daytime, and it kills me that the Weta Evangelion adaptation will never happen
>>
File: spirited.jpg (27 KB, 380x570) Image search: [Google]
spirited.jpg
27 KB, 380x570
Like usual.
>>
>>67937646
>anime
Gross. You've tainted the thread now with your shitposting. Do you feel good about yourself?
>>
>>67937678
It's Miyazaki, you won't find better shit. It's like Disney is to cartoons and Pixar is to CGI.
>>
>>67937722
>CG
>ever
This is how I know your opinions are all shit.
>>
>>67937040
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE
>>
>>67937555
Pacific Rim was basically Evangelion anyway.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.