[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did he get lucky with Blade Runner? I just don't understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 284x177
Did he get lucky with Blade Runner? I just don't understand how he could make something so great that it revolutionized a whole genre and then make a movie like The Martian.
>>
i liked it but i watched it on a long plane journey and the only thing i remember is they changed "science the shit out of" into "science the spit out of"
>>
>>67929763
>thinking that the way modern big budget films turn out has anything to do with the director
>>
All of his movies are technically great. The overall quality is script dependent. There was nothing wrong with Scott's direction of the Martian, it just had a reddit script.
>>
It's your fault, your expectations were too high. The Martian was perfectly adequate and the direction was fine.
>>
>>67929866
>The Martian was perfectly adequate
Looks like reddits back on the menu, boys.

Matt Damon pulling funny faces and screaming about memes for 2 hours is not adequate.
>>
>>67929914
THIS

and

> le quirky black scientist.
>>
>>67929763
Can you please discuss this back on reddit? Thanks
>>
>>67929914
>>67929926
I thought the movie was above average. The only things that brought it down were the supporting actors acting and some of the dialogue.
>>
>>67929964
>the reddit sensibility pervades every frame
>above average
You're in the wrong place. For ideological reasons alone this is a terrible film, and that's before even taking into account the dialogue and actors.
>>
>>67929843
Basically this. He's a strong director, but I get the impression that he just REALLY likes money.
>>
The movie is great. Its an action adventure sci fi blockbuster that wasnt capeshit or a fucking reboot. That alone makes it at least a 7/10. Overall it was a 9/10.
>>
>>67930031
No film with that pen scene with Donald Glover is able to be above an overall 5/10.
>>
>>67929996
>reddit sensibility
>For ideological reasons alone this is a terrible film,
Explain both of these please?
>You're in the wrong place.
I am not, but thanks for your concern.
>>
>>67929763
>Did he get lucky with Blade Runner?
Alien is his best.

But scott is not a really deep director and the human element usually escapes him. That being said he's a phenomenal visual director. He knows how to shoot a movie.
>>
>>67929805
Got to love the edits they show on planes.
>>
His brother was better tbqh
>>
>>67930093
>>reddit sensibility
Pro-Multcult pro-lgbt pro-memetic science garbage. Upvote inflected dialogue.

The presence of the above in the film makes it culturally regressive.

>I am not, but thanks for your concern.
If you support le epin liberal meme dialogue science worship flick then yes, you are.
>>
>>67930048
The Pen scene was fine. Even if you didnt like it its one scene out of the movie. Get help for your autism if it bothers you that much.
>>
It was okay, nothing amazing or great, but average.
>>
>>67930196
>The Pen scene was fine.
If you weren't convulsing with rage then you are in the wrong place. That scene was a perfect storm of elements that everybody on this board needs to despise to belong here.
>le quirky geek culture
>le depicting violent cuck monkies as intelligent
>EXPLAIN IT TO ME IN ENGLISH, DOC.

Literally the most reddit scene comitted to film.
>>
>>67930167
>complaining that the movie & script are accurately derived from its source novel
shig
>>
>>67930167
All pol related shit aside I just enjoyed the movie. I appreciated the main character, consistently working to find solutions to increasingly difficult problems. It was also a cinematically pleasing movie. Donglovers character was shit, the crews dialogue/acting were shit but the rest was a pretty good film. I read the book so i may be slightly biased. Also, just quickly, science garbage? It's a sci fi mate.
>>
>>67929763
Blade runner was shit until the last few cuts. I'm saying this as a huge Blade Runner fan.
>>
>>67930278
Then the source material is a terrible piece of shit that hollywood should have ever touched. May as well handwave away complaints about the latest young adult AUTISMO meme shit by saying "but it not bad, meme meme, it accurate to book"
>>
The Martian was a good film

If you don't like it, you're a jaded contrarian desu
>>
>>67930289
>I appreciated the main character,
He was reddit: the character. You are not in the right place.
>>
>>67930253
Again its one scene in the movie. Why would i convulse with rage over one scene?
>>
>we want more capeshit: the thread
>>
>>67930332
Because it was a flag in the sand, a declaration of war against everything any person who belongs on this board should stand for.
>>
>>67930321
Why do you know so much about reddit? And besides, there's literally nothing wrong with reddit anyway
>>
>>67930321
>Hurr anything i don't like is leddit
There are plenty of things wrong with the movie and the best you can do is drivel on about reddit, Matt Damon and ermagerd liberals. Fuck off and learn to articulate a coherent argument then try again.
>>
>>67930300
semi popular book makes popular flick

>autists mad
>>
File: Captain_Scott_Maguire.jpg (140 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
Captain_Scott_Maguire.jpg
140 KB, 1500x1125
>>67930429
>>67930460
WEW
E
W
>>
>>67930460
>Mental disease: the post.
Fuck off back to your containment board you autist.
>>
>>67930522
I know it's hard but all you have to do is step outside
>>
Scott is a great director but his films are only as good as the source material.
He's not a great filmmaker like a Kurosawa or a Tarantino.
>>
>>67929837
This. He's a director for hire sadly.
>>
>>67929763
>Blade Runner
This was shit except for the cityscapes
>>
>>67930569
>Tarantino.
I am literally clubbing my ears with my fists and screaming in my chair.
>>
>>67930167
>le science is liberal meme
Nice try lefty false flagger.
>>
>>67930167
>disliking a movie because you personally disagree with its politics
Fuck off poltard
>>
>>67930601
Nah I watched it in the cinema yesterday. It really is amazing. Do the same if you get the opportunity.
>>
>>67930619
Don't hurt yourself, mate.
It was merely a gag.
>>
>>67930619
Are normies legitimately offended or repulsed by posts like this one? Like, do they think it's real?
>>
>>67930321
the only misfit here is you, fuck off

come back when you can form a sentence in english instead of fucking memes
>>
>>67930655
All cinema should be assessed first and foremost on a political level.

First question. Is it degenerate? y/n.

If the answer is no then you can continue on and discuss the other aspects of the film, if the answer is yes then the film must be dismissed out of hand.
>>
I think it's to do with source material in the case of those two. The real question is did he get lucky with Alien.
>>
>>67930774
bait
>>
>>67930864
I am serious. The future of our society is a far more important point than. "WAS THA CINEMATOGRAPHY GOOD"

"WAS I EXCITED OR BORED".

Could be the most engaging beautifully shot film of all time, if it pushed a destructive message then the fact it was made is overall a bad thing.
>>
>>67930917
>I am autistic. The post.
>>
>>67930978
>I am a blinkered degenerate with zero concern for the future: the post.
>>
>>67929763

>old fart director tries to be hip with memes: the movie
>>
>>67930601
Maximum, maximum pleb

OP, it's because he's not an auteur. He used almost all of his independent creative vision on his first three films; it what happens when you make nothing but commercials for 15 years straight. Since then he's has had high and low points. The Martian is imo mediocre on the Scott scale but nowhere near bad for a regular movie
>>
>>67929763
I can't be the only one who absolutely hated the Martian? Absolutely no high stakes for the character as he was never in danger; he constantly had a stupid comedic vibe throughout the whole movie.

Comparing Reynold's Buried; that is a top class thriller which this movie should have been like, keeping you on the edge of your seat.

Instead we are given a "funny, comedic 80's disco music video on Mars".
>>
>>67931322
it was a very safe movie, very bland and boring
>>
>>67929763
RIDLEY'S GONE SENILE

WHEN HE DID ROBIN HOOD WITH RUSSEL CROWE AND HAD HORSES IN BOATS DOING A SAVING PRIVATE RYAN STYLE BEACH LANDING IT WAS OVER

THE MARTIAN WAS INSANELY MEDIOCRE, THE FACT IT WAS NOMINATED FOR ANY OSCARS SHOWS HOW SHIT A YEAR 2015 WAS
>>
>>67929763
Martina > Blade Runner t b h
>>
Most of the dialogues in this movie are the typical top voted comments in reddit. I dont mind if it stayed in reddit, but watching those supposedly professional characters saying those immature, unprofessional lines on screen really annoyed me.
>>
>>67929866
I didn't expect anything good and was still surprised how bad it was.
>>
>>67932324
>RIDLEY'S GONE SENILE
ABSOLUTELY SENILE
>>
>>67930394
the cringe is real
>>
literally red_dit: the movie

absolute meme tier "im such a nerd xDDD" garbage
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.