[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just watched Videodrome for the first time, still processing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: drome.jpg (46 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
drome.jpg
46 KB, 640x360
Just watched Videodrome for the first time, still processing it. One of the strangest and most compelling films I've seen in a while, even if it is a little dated and heavy on the body horror.

Thoughts on Videodrome?
>>
It's a great movie and one of Cronenberg's best. Don't ever use the term 'body horror' again, though. You sound like a faggot.
>>
>>67923558
but thats the term
>>
>>67923636
It's not 'the' term. It's 'a' term...used by faggots.
>>
>>67923558
What other term would you use? Its horror, based off of things coming out of or changing your body.

Also I'd say besides the use of tapes, it's not really dated at all. The idea of VR and the connection of information is fairly prescient
>>
>>67923718
What else could you say, 'Flesh-centric Surrealism?'
>>
>>67923718
Square up pussy
>>
>>67923558
can i use the term "cronenberged" or is that too leddit for you?
>>
First time I saw it I expected way more stuff like the actual Videodrome show - that weird orange room is so cool, I loved that Max winds up there in his hallucination but I was really hoping he'd somehow discover it in person. Mind control brain tumors are cool and all, but I think the root idea of "snuff TV" as mass entertainment is way more interesting
>>
File: vid-05.jpg (18 KB, 620x329) Image search: [Google]
vid-05.jpg
18 KB, 620x329
death to eXistenZ
long live the new flesh
>>
>>67923815
True. I thought this was gonna be like a serbian film and was disappointed when it turned into a bizzare dream film
>>
>>67923728
Stop trying to break every thing down into sub sub sub genres. It's annoying and unnecessary.

There was talk of an internet-age remake a few years ago, but nothing came of it as far as I know. Hoping that idea was squashed.
>>
>>67923854
body horror has been a well-established term for years if not decades. You've got to be trolling if you're still pretending not to know this

I think a remake "for the iPhone era!!!" would be fucking terrible, but I think the basic themes could be adapted into a different story without devolving into an anti-technology shitshow. VD did a really good job avoiding that obvious angle - TV is just a vehicle for evil, not the cause.
>>
>>67923854

Serious question, how old are you exactly? I'm guessing 20 or under.

If not, you're pretty fucking retarded. If so I can let this one slide, even though you're still retarded.
>>
>>67923854
Its called body horror you fucking retard
>>
File: 1455559245351.jpg (23 KB, 292x261) Image search: [Google]
1455559245351.jpg
23 KB, 292x261
>>67923558
>>67923636
>>67923718
>>67923728
>>67923737
>>67923767
>>67923798
>>67923854
>>67924239
>>67924361
>>67924548

>tfw I just wanted to have a nice thread about a movie I enjoyed
>>
>>67924662
It's a classic movie. One of his best in my opinion. Have you watched any other of his works?
>>
>>67924662
check out dead ringers, the fly, naked lunch, the brood and scanners
>>
>>67925956
Honestly, no. I'm working on it. I've seen Scanners and that's about it.

>>67926111
Will do
>>
>>67926218
His newer stuff is good too, but different. Maps to the Stars is arguably closer to a Lynch film than an early Cronenberg in some ways.
>>
>>67924662
we can't have nice things, anon
>>
>>67924662
Back on topic Videodrome is one of my absolute favorite flicks, Criterion has a blu-ray release that I'd definitely recommend for some of the included essays and commentary.

One of my favorite bits is the second unit director talking about how much bizarre fun everybody had shooting the red room sequences.
>>
>>67926218
Definitely check out Naked Lunch if you liked Videodrome and Scanners.

Also Eastern Promises is really good, but it's way different than his early work.
>>
but who was videodrome?
>>
>>67923507
it has interesting ideas, but it doesnt really build on them in any compelling ways. its got great imagery, but not much else
>>
That scene where the guy gets shot with that weird ass gun and starts discumbobulating always gives me a boner
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.