[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I have the director's cut of watchmen,will I get this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: watchmen.jpg (64 KB, 500x746) Image search: [Google]
watchmen.jpg
64 KB, 500x746
So, I have the director's cut of watchmen,will I get this without reading the comics, or did I just waste a few dollars?

I'm a Snyder fan, so don't try and tell me its shit to stop me from watching it.
>>
>>67912962
Never read comic and I did just fine
>>
>>67912962
Of course you'll get it, it was all dumbed down for the flick crowd.
>>
Wait, do people actually read comics?
>>
>>67912996
No, it's a myth
>>
>didn't read the comic
>didn't get the ultimate cut

You'll be utterly lost without the half-hour pirate allegory cartoon.
>>
he literally takes the book shot for shot
sans the ending it's the ultimate safe move
but because of this the direction feels so stiff and force, i.e those extra long panning shots that zoom out of an important detail, mirroring the opening to each chapter of the book, are pointless and awkward in the film

the director's cut does nothing but add more junk to the run time (with the exception of one important death scene from the book, which is unnecessary in the film's context anyway)

honestly the book is much more involving, exciting and emotional

at least jackie earle haley tried
>>
Yes. It's unironically still the best capeshit of all time. I watched the 3:30 ultimate cut and was blown away. LITERALLY a 9/10 film.
>>
>>67913567
>>67913097

>ultimate cut

Is it actually worth watching?
>>
>>67913744

It's the same as the directors cut+Tales of the black freighter.
>>
>>67912962
>Snyder fan

You wasted a few dollars but you won't even realize it. The movie fucking sucks.
>>
>>67913744
No. Even Snyder said himself that the Directors Cut is the definitive cut.
>>
>>67913744
No, the cartoon feels really awkward in the film. It's not worth it to get the few minutes of news stand scenes.
>>
Watchmen Midnight fanedit is the definitive version.
>>
>>67912962
It's better than the comic imo.
>>
>>67912962
You'll get it, the ending is the only major difference
>>
I'm currently working on my own edit. I'm doing it as a 4 part mini series as if HBO had done it. I'm doing this by using the Ultimate Cut and breaking it into 4 parts, each 45 minutes, all start with that glorious opening credit sequence. Before the opening though, i've added 15 minutes to each part from the documentary bonus feature Under The Hood, which is a fake tv documentary from the timeline in the movie that works really well, all the actors in character give insight to greater world of watchmen. Its similar to the news stories in the comic book. It even has fake tv commercials to break it up.

So each part is exactly 4 hours, starts with a fake commercial (Like Veidt's perfume line) then a 15 minute piece from Under the Hood. Then the opening credits, followed by a Title Card that includes the Doomsday clock, then the movie. This works best I think, and is the closest you can get to spirit of the book.
>>
>>67916007
This sounds awesome, be sure to share with us when you are done, anon!
>>
>>67916007
Sounds similar to this edit
>>67914138
>>
>>67913744
I see the novelty in it, but that's exactly what it boils down to being, a novelty. The director's cut should have been the one released in theaters honestly, so many scenes in it that make the movie better simply.
>>
>>67916007

Nice job! I've actually had this same idea (after watching the full cut with Black Freighter). It's just too much for one sitting. Adding the Under the Hood stuff is a really good idea.

Make sure that cut gets out!!
>>
>>67916007
>Under the Hood
I forgot they actually made that into a full special and it doesn't even really show up in the movie, love that attention to detail. Makes me kind of curious for the director's cut of BvS, might make the narrative flow a little better. Though I'm not holding my breath either, not every director's cut is Kingdom of Heaven.
>>
>>67913786
Alan Moore go to bed
>>
>>67912962
I like Watchmen, it's not amazing, but I like it, and I like watching director's cuts, but the Watchmen director's cut is just too self-indulgent. I really don't think watching Nite Owl get beat to death added anything to the story. It just reduced the focus of the story.
>>
>>67912962
Why does everyone shit on watchmen? I remember watching it years ago and I thought it was above average. It's been years since I saw though.
>>
>>67912962
You'll "get it." You might not like it, though. It is pretty faithfully done, the trouble is I think there is some validity to the longstanding idea that Watchmen was an unfilmable story.
>>
>>67916463
>I really don't think watching Nite Owl get beat to death added anything to the story
I honestly thought this was the best addition in the director's cut, it showed peak Snyder I think, a purely visual scene storytelling scene. The guy might fumble a lot with script, but he understands kinetic storytelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZSj_UA9_u4
>>
>>67912962
>I'm a Snyder fan
>Declaring yourself as a fan of anything

You're literally retarded
>>
You wasted a few dollars, OP. Stick with the graphic novel, instead.
>>
Let me put it this way: the movie is about 3 hours long.

The first hour is GREAT, and it's a straight adaptation of the first two chapters of the comic (give or take a scene or two. Almost everything from those chapters is included, and the movie really shines.

Then the movie has two hours left to cram in the remaining ten chapters. Imagine how well, that went.
>>
>>67912996
Sturgeon's Law, bro.
I don't read them in general but I do read ones like Watchmen that are widely regarded as pinnacles of the medium.
>>
File: FeministIsAnInsult.png (322 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
FeministIsAnInsult.png
322 KB, 612x380
>>67912996
I-I d-do. Only the ones I'm currently interested tho. Sadly, nowadays it's all a bunch of SJW circlejerking.
>>
>>67919771
They are stopping a lot because of lack of sales.
>>
>>67912962
>will I get this without reading the comics, or did I just waste a few dollars?

i absolutely hated capeshit and have never read a comic in my life. borrowed a friends hard drive at uni and watched this when it came out and loved it, its very accessible

snyder is kino
>>
>>67920269
It's a very dumb move imo. There's a lot of new people getting into comics because of the movies nowadays, but when they see their favorite characters aren't using their superhero mantle anymore, instead there's another more diverse character in terms of race or gender in their place I bet they get disappointed.
>>
>>67913567
>3:30 ultimate cut

Could this be chopped into an episodic format?
>>
File: 1459901034692.gif (243 KB, 350x233) Image search: [Google]
1459901034692.gif
243 KB, 350x233
>>67912962

>I'm a Snyder fan
>>
>>67912962
>I'm a Snyder fan
When will /v/ leave?
>>
>>67914138
That seems to have disappeared from the internet. The guy that made the edit said he was doing an HD version but that was 2 years ago.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.