[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Magicians Live Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10
File: The Magicians Eliot.jpg (84 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
The Magicians Eliot.jpg
84 KB, 1200x675
It's going down tonight!

PennyxAlice
>>
File: The Magicians Olivia32.jpg (99 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
The Magicians Olivia32.jpg
99 KB, 1200x675
Penny's officially a bigger asshole than in the books.

He's much closer to Quentin and the group than he was in the books, and is intentionally hitting on Alice to get her "through the next hour", knowing that Alice is vulnerable and Quentin and her just did some big shit and she's trying to push it down
>>
This is such a shitty adaptation.
>>
>>67873503
Eh, can't adapt hte books as they are anyway.

Skip too much time.

They pass by 4 years with only highlights for each year and expositional dumps in like half the book
>>
It's time.
>>
FTB dead and Julia confirmed for raped, she's probably a demigod already.

At least this is a good way of getting Julia to Fillory so she can become Queen. don't think the books ever said how she got from Earth to Fillory to become Queen over there
>>
>>67873390
This episode has been terrible
>>
>>67873979
It's at end of first book. Quentin gets a day job and Margo and Elliot and Julia come for him
>>
>>67873979
She met Janet and Eliot at a spa while Janet and Eliot were dealing with post-Martin PTSD and she was dealing with post-Reynard trauma. Janet, Eliot, Julia, and Quentin used Josh's button to go to Fillory and then Josh took off for his Teletubby sex tour.
>>
???

is this the Earth plot from The Magician King?
>>
>>67874179
Yep
>>
Hitler was a Top Battle Magician

top kek

Killed his would be assassins, top kek.
>>
SHIT, IT'S JOSH
>>
>>67874063
Julia was already with Eliot and Janet though, when they showed up to Quentin, Julia was behind Eliot and Janet and was evidently already a queen
>>
>>67874288
We still missed out on awesome Viking battle magic scene
>>
>>67874083
Oh, thought they'd just seen her there instead of taking her with them or anything.
>>
>>67874267
I literally lol'd. Audibly. Enough to wake my wife's boyfriend up.
>>
>>67874313
It doesn't matter they've messed too much with characterization. None of big scenes have had any impact. All the cheating had a real weight to them
>>
why are horses so slutty
>>
The fuck happened with FTB and OLU?
>>
>>67874532
No rape apparently
>>
>>67874532
I'm guessing either Julia is lying, or Reynard, this fox god if you don't read the books, got summoned instead, completely raped her shit up, killed everyone else except Kady and messed with her memory
>>
>>67874417
>All the cheating had a real weight to them

Eh, not to me they didn't. Book kept skipping around too much time wise and explaining things away with exposition. Quentin and alice go from crushing, banging as foxes then regular people at Brakebills South, skip another 3 years, then they tell you they've been in New York a while and how Quentin spends all his time partying and doing drugs while Alice studies and so they're obviously distancing from each other

Also doesn't help that you can't adapt people's inner thoughts into it which is what a good part of the characterization needs
>>
>>67874732
At least Quentin and Julia have good chemistry
>>
>tfw have to wait for the torrent

i'll join in later ;_;

just finished the 3rd book last week
>>
>>67874643
I read them, but I don't understand how Julia came out of whatever obviously-not-wholesome thing happened in TV continuity so happy.

But let's be real, this whole thing is fucked. The books were about a misandrist asshole who was never happy anywhere, and the books used increasingly amazing fantasy lands to highlight the absurdity of Quentin's inability to be content.

This show is a straight up generic "the chosen one" story, and not even a well-executed chosen one story.

The Janet joke was good.
>>
>>67874976
This seems to be most accurate opinion I've seen on here.
>>
>>67874976
I wouldn't say completely misandrist considering most of men in book he actually gets along with. Penny and beast are his only real male foils and a lot of women like quentin. It was accurate to me that Julia only liked Quentin after he got power.
>>
So what did everyone think of the episode?

I liked that they had Fogg know for a fact that Jane's been messing with time, they hinted at it before but never said that he was actively knowledgeable about ti instead of Jane perhaps just telling him stuff. Also found it funny how they had him point out how Quentin's managed 26 times to slip him truth stuff.

Penny's an ass though. Fucks Alice literally the day after her and Quentin have a big fight then claims how he respects her when he pretty much preyed on a chick he knew was vulnerable as fuck and who was drinking a lot. Pretty fucked up of him to do knowing that they need to work as a team if they wanna survive and that it'd mess up Quentin even more.

Didn't like the convenience of ways to go back in time to events or places though.

Pacing felt a bit off too.

>>67874910
That's if this thread lives that long.
>>
>>67875164
Oh shit I meant misanthropist, not misandrist.
>>
>>67874976
>Julia came out of whatever obviously-not-wholesome thing happened in TV continuity so happy.

As I said in the spoilered part, she might've had her memory fucked with and for all we know in the season finale the false memory stuff will fall apart and rush back and she'll know stuff. Don't forget also that even the hermit dude could take away pain, so Reynard may have very well done that too if he fucked with her memory.

>The books were about a misandrist asshole who was never happy anywhere, and the books used increasingly amazing fantasy lands to highlight the absurdity of Quentin's inability to be content.

Can't adapt this perfectly.

1. A lot of Quentin's stuff is in his head, unless you wanna have him voice over or keep complaining all the time which would just make the viewer hate him, not possible

2. That shit and aspect by itself is annoying and would make viewers hate him.

And books were also absurdly chosen one, especially the third, the amount of coincidence in Quentin's life is fucking ridiculous.
>>
the writing is honestly horrible
and these books got so much praise
standards for books must be at an all time low
>>
>>67875404
The third book is, coincidentally, the worst book. Eliot should have been the one to beat the shit out of Ember, even if Quentin landed the final blow and did the mending.
>>
>>67875303
That makes more sense gotcha
>>
>>67875577
I would say first is the worse. Quentin is actually enjoyable in the third
>>
>>67875577
I could see it, since Ember was in a sense taking Fillory away from Eliot who'd wanted to die with it. He would be rightfully pissed, kinda like how Janet was pissed at Umber when he acted all innocent in shit in how he made Martin into The Beast
>>
File: The Magicians Olivia25.png (972 KB, 1366x632) Image search: [Google]
The Magicians Olivia25.png
972 KB, 1366x632
One thing though, as bad as some people might say the episode or show is, Alice's tits are always fucking amazing.

They were spectacular as always tonight, and very nice shots from the side so you can see them in full glory.

Who's your magicfu?
>>
look at those jugs
>>
File: The Magicians Olivia2.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
The Magicians Olivia2.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>67876047
We're really gonna need some dedicated anon to make webms or just one long video of only and every Alice scene, cause every Alice scene is a tits scene.
>>
>>67874375

I hope this never goes away
>>
Not only did Alice fuck Penny, probably orgasmed at the same time as him (another dig at Quentin) if the audio is right, I think that was even Quentin's room.

Son of a bitch. In his own bed.

Weird though that Penny couldn't read Quentin's mind to know what he was thinking and thus why him and Alice were so cold to each other, guess he learned how to shield his mind afterall
>>
Ok, well. The FTB shit is entirely fucked. Julia is still normal when she should be super weird and fucked up. Even if it was mind wipe shenanigans, when the fuck will they bother to reveal it? That scene is one of my favorites in the books, it was just so brutal.

Fuck, she isn't even supposed to be there right now. Julia and Alice interacting will be weird.

As far as the third book goes. It really bugs me that the author made Alice so powerful. We're supposed to believe that 7 years after the fight she is still way more powerful and knowledgeable than Quentin? Bullshit. The author makes it very clear that Quentin and the others got an utterly massive power spike at the end of the first book, not to mention everything after that. I accept that she is a prodigy but come on.

We really should have gotten to see Asmodeus hunting and gutting the serial fox rapist as well.

Also it was kind of weird and stupid that of all of them fucking QUENTIN is the one that gets over Fillory. I understand it's the entire point of the series but I just don't buy it. The grass might not always be greener but it really should have been in this instance. I mean, christ, fucking Josh and Poppy? Really?

The Janet joke was good at least. Can't wait for Eliot to get past this shit, he is probably my favorite character right now.
>>
They really went through with Quentin Cuckwater

With all the changes I expected them to dance around that too
>>
File: 1394965845342.jpg (184 KB, 1274x1001) Image search: [Google]
1394965845342.jpg
184 KB, 1274x1001
>Alice got browned
>>
>>67878805
They could reveal it next episode for season finale.

Alice could do her niffin thing and die and that somehow triggers stuff for Julia to remember what really happened, or Ember senses that there's something wrong with Julia and unlocks it for her

Looking forward to the interaction actually, they never did interact in the books as far as I know, or at least not while Julia was still human. Should be interesting to see how hurt Alice if when Quentin comes with Julia, who Alice was jealous of two episode ago
Yeah really didn't like how powerful Alice was made in the books. It was ridiculous that she could fight toe to toe with the Beast when the Beast and the crowd he hung out with are supposed to make Quentin's group look like kids and The Beast has enough power to trap a god and be seen even by Ember as capable of killing a god (Umber)

They'll reserve killing Reynard till at least next season, can't fit too much into the first season

Quentin by that point had a way to create his own magical world anyway, so not that big a deal, plus doesn't seem like he made much ties to Fillory anyway, Josh is already married and wanting to raise a kid in Fillory, Quentin put down no roots and didn't seem like he ever adventured much like Janet did or ruled stuff like Eliot did except for that one time he went to that Far Island thing and then the key. and he'd been gone from Fillory for a couple of years, gotta get over stuff sometime.
>>
>>67878842
Really hated that part myself.

At this point not much time to even get them to have a fight and try and patch things up even if only a little like the book did before they fight The Beast.

I also now hate show Penny more than book Penny.

"I respect you and consider you a friend so much that I hit on you and tried to fuck you the literal morning after you and Quentin went through some shit and when I know you've looking for shit to keep your mind off it like drinking. I did that entirely as a friend"
>>
>>67879784
Yeah the shortened time scale really fucks up the intentions of the characters.

It makes all their actions seem more deliberate than circumstantial. Like Penny "seducing" a drunk alice the next day as opposed to them both getting drunk together and halving sex weeks after the initial Quentin cheating and 'break up'
>>
>>67879856
Wish Syfy would order more episodes so the show could breathe a little more and to get the characters to make more sense. Shame they only ever do 13 episodes. Miss the days like Eureka when they'd order 18+ episodes in a season without having to cut episodes from the next to compensate.

Can't see Alice dogging Quentin about how he runs away from everything, can't see Quentin shutting her down or making snide remarks or ignoring her. And yet I bet they'll still have them kiss or something before they go and fight The Beast, knowing they might die like the other times.

What'd you think of the 39 other timeline thing? The show making it so Julia was the change and how she was in Brakebills the other 30 times makes things interesting. Wonder if in those timelines her and Quentin got together instead of Alice and Quentin.
>>
>>67880105
The stupid thing is they ordered 2 season right off the bat.

The show writers whose to do it this way and cram book 1 and some shit from books 2 and 3 into season 1 (along with their own original trash)
>>
>>67876379
Don't worry, I'll keep the fire burning
>>
>>67880139
While I can understand that fitting stuff into one season is a problem, and even involving stuff from the future books, I can understand it.

The books already make stuff difficult since they skips the 5 years of Brakebills really fast and we learn very little except highlights of those years. And Julia who was put into the book then dropped, just disappears and it never seems like Quentin cares in those years or while in New York to go find how she's been doing since he told Fogg about her. Not to mention that we then only learn what happened with Julia, as flashbacks in the second book, even though it happened during the same time Quentin was going through stuff. And again, even this stuff happens really fast in the books where Julia's just leveling up like crazy learning and doing god know what spells.

And not like the stuff in the book can just be put on screen and work just fine. Too much expositional dump, too much stuff happening in people's heads, too much stuff moving way too quickly.

TV has to be entertaining, there has to be a point. No one just wants to see an episode where they're again at brakebills south and are trying to get nails in boards for the thousandth time, then transform into polar bears or foxes, fuck, then go right back to nails and boards. So even the original stuff I accept, I don't like all of it, but I understand it and in a lot of cases it makes me think about stuff more than the books do.
>>
Where the fuck is Marina? She's 90% of the reason I stuck with this past the first episode.
>>
So is Victoria gonna be replacing Poppy from the books? Josh is already involved with Victoria and there's no Dint around for her to be a cheating whore with so she's no Anaïs.

>>67881315
Guessing she'll either never show up again, or will show up next season or two if they wanna have her replace a book character named Plum.

Most likely never show up again unfortunately
>>
Man what a shitfest this show has been.

Not gonna bother with season 2. I wasn't expecting a faithful adaptation of the books but I'm shocked the author was even involved with this.

I didn't think it was possible for them to fuck the pacing up more than Grossman did in book 1 but here we are.
>>
>>67881478
Pfft Marina would not be placed since they added Josh. Plum also idolized quentin
>>
>>67881554
It's just typical syfy nonsense where they turned the show Into being human 2.0 which is weird since the expanse is so faithful
>>
>>67881554
Should've expected this when they'd have to squeeze 5+ years of shit, highlights, exposition and character thoughts into a reasonable amount of time for TV purposes all while keeping it entertaining enough and having a plot that people can care about.

>>67881595
Plum idolizing Quentin isn't important anyway. But I am expecting Marina to be either a replacement for Plum or at least someone else involved in the heist if they decide to adapt that part of book 3
>>
>>67881812
Plum idolizing lead to brother sister like relationship. It is important just not for itself's sake.
>>
>>67881890
Why do they need idolizing to get a brother sister like relationship?

Quentin and Marina if they choose to humanize her could just bond over shit and she could learn to be less of a bitch and stick to help him out with stuff like making the magical world or deniffining Alice.
>>
>>67882064
They do not need it persay but that is how it was used and why I mentioned it. Their donut steel creations haven't been great. Their fan fiction for most part has been bad and book material has been mishandled. We like Marian because of kacey rohl but marina on its face is a shit generic creation. Honestly I'm glad they're changing stuff because I'd rather they fall on their face on their own. Since they're not making it about fixing weaknesses of the books so
>>
>>67882253
Marina.
>>
>>67882253
I enjoy Marina as is to be honest.

I'm obviously not as attached to the books as you are but honestly, I really like most of the changes they've made and the "fan fiction" bits. Helps breathe more life into the story.

Book material has to be "mishandled". Unless it's some comic book/graphic novel thing like Watchmen, you're not gonna be able to adapt it as is, it's impossible.
>>
I like that Margot did what everyone who has every read a fantasy novel has thought about and brought a gun.
>>
>>67882640
Rushed characterization is a real weakness of the show. Only thing I've liked is Julia being different. As an actress but they have short changed her story in my opinion. And you're right I do like books but also think they could or be improved a lot. Also the dialogue was just bad. Penny Alice combo or maybe it was just acted badly I'm not sure.
>>
>>67882756
The reason Quentin doesn't want guns is b we cause he's worried it'll get out into the world. Magic machine guns for example? It's the nuclear problem. Once it's known to be possible it will be reproduced elsewhere. Fillory
doesn't need magic nukes.
>>
>>67882881
Because = b we cause
>>
>>67882779
Dialogue between Penny and Alice didn't work for me cause they never seemed like they were friends. I mean before last episode when she was telling him about Joe and saving his life, they barely ever talked, so him considering her a friend, one of the few people he respects or giving her advice or saying that she has an "I give up" thing, just doesn't sound right.

Even the Alice having a "I give up" thing" I'm not sure where he's getting that from, the leaving Brakebills cause the niffin thing with her brother failed? Or the getting with Quentin after Brakebills South? I dunno.

But you do have a point that characterization is rushed
>>
>>67882881
She shot a guy for messin' with her gay boyfriend. I'm happy.
>>
>>67882919
You had a Quentin moment didn't ya?
>>
>>67882969
He's just margosexual
>>
>>67883001
Autocorrect turned me into a cuckwater
>>
File: Margo's Waifu.jpg (63 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
Margo's Waifu.jpg
63 KB, 950x534
>>67883038
He's Margot's waifu and he knows it.
>>
>>67883162
Margollum
>>
>>67883205
Where is Margollum now?

Hope they don't go back to Earth to find Todd's made her his girlfriend
>>
>>67883418
Her fucking with Elliot was great. Even margollum wanted a slice of that el pie. No clue think she said what she was going to do with her.
>>
File: What Margo did with Margolum.png (240 KB, 466x300) Image search: [Google]
What Margo did with Margolum.png
240 KB, 466x300
>>67883418
This is what Margo did with Margolum.
>>
Good night bump
>>
>>67885237
Acid carrots
>>
>>67885541
I'm glad it hurt, it should hurt.

why is Alice so cruel, so very cruel?
>>
>>67885902
Her reaction to his behavior was more warranted in the books because he shat on her love for over long time and was so detached to everything. Also him saying they would be a cute couple was so out character. Q thought of penny as an autistic dick that never got the injoke. Turning curryboy into a guy that shits on books shows just how off base they are. He loves knowledge and magic even m ore than Quentin does. He becomes top library nerd to the entire fucking universe.
>>
Can this guy die already? Every single thing he does fucks everything up.

>we're in this super important mission our lives are on the line we need to be super careful
>don't harm the books pls
>lol fuck the book let's get kicked out of the library where we were totally safe
>we need to be very stealthy and stay closer to each other to remain invisible okay
>gonna eat dem magic carrots and get us all killed I'm such a drunk druggie xDDD lmao
Fucking hell.
>>
>>67886241
No. He's number one husbando.
>>
>>67886293
Pfft
>>
>>67888000
Hush now. You can have Quentin as your husbando.
>>
File: magic2.jpg (78 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
magic2.jpg
78 KB, 1200x675
who /bigTitsFetish/ after watching this show?
>>
>>67886241
>>67886293
I tolerate Eliot's misbehavior now because I like the way that Fillory makes him shape up.
>>
>>67889744
I think Margo will beeline him to that healing spring.
>>
>>67890120
That would be horseshit. I liked that Fillory made Eliot step up his game and be more responsible organically.
>>
>>67890406
Mmmk.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.