[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So this was actually pretty good... Didn't expect that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (373 KB, 1200x849) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
373 KB, 1200x849
So this was actually pretty good... Didn't expect that
>>
>>67863808
Then explain the ending
>>
>>67863808
why didnt you expect it to be good?
>>
the ending let it down in my opinion, that said it seems like the most fitting ending for the film
>>
>>67864579
He committed suicide, Emma Stone sees his body on the pavement, and since mental illness is hereditary, she has the same break that Keaton has, and she chooses to imagine that he survives as Bird Person.

Or, it's all open to interpretation, and you fucking plebs hate that the ending isn't spelled out for you. Make up your own mind. Do you believe that the Birdman is real, and he actually flew, or do you believe that he died? Either way, it's an excellent movie.
>>
>>67863808
Yes Birdman and American Hustle are both good movies.
>>
>>67865251
>67865251
wow yeh great interpretation there m8
tfw mental illness is instantly hereditary and definite only plebs dont know that
brilliant
>>
>>67865251
Plebs gonna pleb.

It wasn't even some sort of brilliant ending to the film (for what it's worth I loved Birdman), but the fact that people still don't understand it boggles my fucking mind.

I disagree that Emma Stone's character was mentally ill, but watching your father die from suicide can absolutely cause a mental break.

>>67865429
eat shit, nigger
>>
File: 1456899954935.jpg (188 KB, 715x1100) Image search: [Google]
1456899954935.jpg
188 KB, 715x1100
>>67863808
OP
>>67865251
Alternative
>>67864579
I believe that Keaton died on stage and the final scene was a death dream, if you think about it it makes perfect sense as the camera cuts for the first time in the whole movie after shooting himself and when waking up he has everything he wanted to be famous, his wife, a friend, the flowers he wanted and a happy daughter and I believe the final shot being the end of his death dream is her viewing her dad the way he's always viewed himself.
>>
>>67865468
ill eat the shit you're chatting baby x
>>
More style than substance.
>>
>>67865486
>I believe that Keaton died on stage and the final scene was a death dream
Close. The whole movie is his death dream. He died when he waded into the ocean after the fight with his wife. The first time the movie cuts away from the "one take" thing, its to show the beach covered in dead jellyfish.
>>
>>67865486
I much prefer this interpretation
>>
>>67865251
Its not really open to interpretaion, he pretty clearly dies.

And the movie was shit. From the very start they foreshadowed so hard only a complete retard couldnt see the end half way through. The only time they werent spelling out the ending was when they were patting themselves on the back for being the only good movie ever.

The charcters where way to quick to explain their "dark and tragic pasts". Basicly every second their on screen the have to divulge some closely gaurded personal secret. Its like watching a pissing contest between to homeless people trying to prove whose journey to rock bottom was more desprate and lonely.

Shitty movie.
>>
>>67863808
I found it refreshing how it basically shat on everyone. It's also so far the only movie to shit on capeshit with any seriousness.
>>
I actually think he flew at the end as a way of Innaritu to symbolize Keaton's acceptance of his past and his inner self and the fact that he was finally above his hunger for fame and validation.
>>
>>67865709
>the fact that he was finally above his hunger for fame and validation.
But he wasn't. That was the whole point of birdman sitting on the toilet in the bathroom. It would never go away, because despite all the external accolades, he's not going to be satisfied because inside he knows he IS the hack fraud.
>>
I liked the movie.

Loved the cast. Loved the acting. Enjoyed the soundtrack and the 'single shot' gimmick.

The story got a little boring in some places, and i didn't like how much it pulled away from Keatons character. It's obvious from the get go that Keaton is the main character and the story revolves around him trying to be relevant, yet we get these other scenes(Norton and Emma. Norton and girlfirend. Nortons gf and that other chick) that don't do much else except try and add more character to characters that ultimately mean nothing in the end.

Srill, Keaton was fantastic. I love most things that guy is in. Birdman, while enjoyable, probably wouldn't fit for multiple viewings annually(at least for me)
>>
>>67865640
>if the end isnt surprising, the movie is absolute shit
>>
File: 1424950610636.jpg (222 KB, 992x1032) Image search: [Google]
1424950610636.jpg
222 KB, 992x1032
>>67865486
I also thought this but I interpreted the hospital scene as a sort of earthly limbo and he finally "dies" again where his soul finally flies up and becomes Peter Jackson's Birdman or the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance in IMAX 3-D in select theaters only
>>
>>67863808
It was only pretty good though

Was expecting more famantha
>>
>>67865766
that's what I meant when I talked about acceptance.
>>
What's the premise? I didn't get the trailer at all.

He's a washed up actor famous for playing a super hero is about all I got from it, I didn't get the shot of him floating at the end of the trailer, although I only watched it once since it didn't interest me.
>>
>>67864670
This. Why didn't you think it would be good, OP?
>>
>>67866030
He doesn't accept it though, he jumps out of a window to escape from it.

The fact that he *dies* multiple times in the film could be seen as an expiation of his ego, is that what you mean?
>>
>>67866194
He's attempting to relaunch his career by directing and starring in a play is the basic premise.
>>
>>67866275
Righteo, but what's with the shots of what appears to be an actual superhero? The shot of him floating in meditation at the end of the trailer (if I recall correctly, haven't watched the trailer since it came out)? Those are what confused me the most and put me off seeing it
>>
>>67866321
Those things are open to interpretation I suppose but I think they're hallucinations.
>>
>>67866194
He's a washed up hack known for playing a super hero (Keaton was cast for obvious reasons) with delusions of grandeur.

He decides to write, direct, and star in an obnoxiously pretentious play that is meta-self referential, filled with a cast of pretentious and difficult actors, while the critics and audience are praying that the whole thing will fail spectacularly.

Its interesting because the movie itself is an obnoxiously meta-self referential, filled with a cast of pretentious and difficult actors, while the audience and critics prayed that the whole thing would fail spectacularly.

The whole movie wonderfully recursive and knowingly has its head up its own ass, creating a pretty unique movie. It also has some great performances and scenes.
>>
>>67866321
The marketing for this movie was all wrong, but then again how do you market a movie like this.
>>
File: 1450920410829.jpg (256 KB, 792x792) Image search: [Google]
1450920410829.jpg
256 KB, 792x792
>>67863808
It was basically "Clickbait: The Movie". All the buzz generated about how great it was and then it turned out to be an artsy fartsy turd with a coinflip ending
>>
I don't know why people get so mad and say it's pretentious. I mean he's not wrong about what the normie audience wants to see in a movie in general. (That monolog when he's walking down the street is usually reference to show the directors pretentiousness) I get he hates superhero flicks but fuck, so do a lot of you guys?

Also making it look like one take was really neat and it made you really feel like you were in the moment with the characters
>>
>>67863808
Why wouldn't you expect that you piece of shit
>>
>>67866637
Who give a shit about what a weeb cuck thinks hahaha
>>
>>67865792
Norton pretty Important to the story.

If you wanna talk stuff that didn't really need to be there how about the lesbian make out scene. I mean hot to watch but really?
>>
>>67866712
>I don't know why people get so mad and say it's pretentious.
Because any movie not about a hero saving the world is pretentious.
>>
>>67866502
Norton literally playing himself was probably the icing on the pretentious cake.

Whole things 2meta8me
>>
>>67863808
that background drumming bongo noise shit gave me a headache after 5 minutes..
>>
>>67866502
This makes it sound clever though.
Pretentiously clever
>>
>>67866712
It was praised a lot when it first came out. Then it started winning awards and the contrarians came out.
>>
>>67866944
It manages to ride the fuck out of that line uniquely. It's definitely a movie worth watching, just do whatever you can to get rid of any expectations before you watch it.
>>
>>67865251
>>67865486
gotta love how murricans want to explain everything from a realist/scientific point of view

the movie was magic realism from the get go, like Juan Rulfo´s Pedro Paramo the whole town was dead from the get go
Iñarritu was paying homage to his homeland
>>
>>67863808
>I wasn't expecting this critically-acclaimed oscar-winning film to be good

*tips fedora*
>>
What's pretentious about this?

No seriously. Saying it's pretentious is giving it far too much credit. It means it thought it was being smarter than it actually was. But it wasnt a smart movie.

It wasn't a dumb movie, it was just a movie that had good acting and a decent plot. It's nothing else. It annoys me people think it's good enough to even be considered pretentious
>>
>>67867276

Nice to see someone else in on the joke.
>>
>>67867276
Okay I laughed
>>
>>67863808

it was pretentious theater shit
>>
File: 1459581236648.jpg (8 KB, 224x250) Image search: [Google]
1459581236648.jpg
8 KB, 224x250
>>67865371

>american hustle a good movie
>>
>>67863808
his "super power" that no one else could see was a metaphor for his hidden talent as an actor, that no one believed he had because he was a capeshit star
>>
File: my mind.png (97 KB, 246x245) Image search: [Google]
my mind.png
97 KB, 246x245
>>67867656
>>
>>67863808
I'm just glad I saw it before the hype train got to me.

Just heard it was a good movie, saw it, very pleasantly surprised. Worth the second watch also
>>
>>67867656
I thought it was obvious it was a metaphor. But people took it literally.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.