[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HORACE AND PETE THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: 650.jpg (44 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
650.jpg
44 KB, 650x366
So what did you think of the FELINA?
>>
File: Mark-Mulcahy1-450x300.jpg (13 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
Mark-Mulcahy1-450x300.jpg
13 KB, 450x300
I've never seen something that emotionally wrecked me for like a whole day, I was so stupid to think for 10 seconds it was a happy ending. Still it was the best ending it could have had.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKRKA3KaU-Q
>>
The most powerful episode yet. Now I know why Steven Wright is like that all the time.
>>
Steve Buscemi's eyes in that scene... that shit cut me in half.
>>
>he picks up the knife
No.... ;_;
>>
>>67862839
Yeah that was truly haunting stuff. I'm not sure about how I feel about the show as a whole but it was definitely compelling a lot of times.
>>
Last 2 episodes were pretty special. The scene with Pete and old Pete was amazing.
>>
>Buscemi finally gets to act the shit out of something

No one sees it
>>
Such a terrible show that it doesn't even pop up in my feed of shows to download. I don't see why you're even shilling it here as Louis barely pays his interns.
>>
Is a second season too much to hope for? I know it's hard to see where they could go from here, but the last two episodes were so shockingly different that nothing would surprise me at this point. Maybe we could get a season about the original Horace and Pete, or even a near-future one following the next generation.
>>
>Young Sylvia: "I only fuck niggers"
>at the end her black boyfriend comes up.

this has some really subtle things going on.
>>
Alda was the glue & he died 5 episodes in.

Fix it!
>>
>>67863117
Yes it is too much to hope for. This was finite. Like life itself.
>>
>>67862735
>yet

I don't see Louis continuing with this. He's not the kind who does long continuing stories, and the ending of Horace and Pete is pretty much perfect for a little self contained story.

Hell, even Louie feels like a collection of random short films than one continuing narrative.
>>
>>67863168
>implying he doesn't return later.
>>
>>67863117
There's only Sylvia who supposedly leaves, young Horace, and his fat daughter. I don't know what a prequel could show either. I'm fine with it as is.
>>
>>67863141
her children weren't mixed-race, though.
>>
>>67863234
so what
>>
>>67863234

Neither were Louie's daughters in Louie.
>>
>>67863069
the way they turned off the lights terrified me for some reason, your imagination makes it worse than anything they could have filmed
>>
>>67863261
she must have missed the turning to the interracial breeding grounds.
>>
>>67863352
It's the same effect you get in that scene in Kill Bill Vol.2 when the Viper assassination squad enters the Wedding chapel. And you hear her scream. Gut-retching.
>>
Anyone else bummed that Louis couldn't deliver the goods in the dinner scene? He just reminded me of how good an actor Jame Gandolfini was trying to match Edie.
>>
Made me cry.
>>
>>67863461
I think because Louis isn't an abusive guy so he couldn't act that well, honestly I'm surprised at how well he did overall in the series because he always talks about not being able to act. Also I got the feeling that he was imitating someone from his life
>>
>>67863101
What? I can't understand you from that bucket over your fucking head you shut-off imbecile.
>>
I keep wondering about how the awards will work for the show because it's not any kind of standard format, obviously it deserves awards
>>
>>67863622
>it won't
Supposedly it was submitted for Emmys but I doub't they'll take it. Because the world is fucking shit and unfair. But just think how amazing it would've been if it did, and it just won over all the awards over the other TV GIANTS.

I bet that was Louie's fantasy.
>>
>>67863352
this is a classic trope in theatre and the fact you kiddies think its new is mindboggling
>>
>>67863622
I think they might actually throw awards at it because of how different it is.

Louis is obviously going to clean up the writing awards. The use of Buscemi and Louis in different roles in the last episode was incredibly clever, retroactively making us realize what a piece of shit Alda's character was, etc. Edie and Buscemi both have awards out of the ass already but who knows.
>>
>>67863756
>contributing to the conversation.
>>
>>67863699
oh yeah, is it even eligible being released on the internet?
>>
>>67863778
If you didn't see Alda was a piece of shit from the jump you might have something wrong with you.
>>
Bar patron power rankings

>God tier
Steven Wright
>High tier
Nick Dipaolo
Colin Quinn
>Can't act for shit tier
Kurt Metzger
>>
>>67863810

Shows like House of Cards are eligible, I don't see why this wouldn't be.
>>
File: 05horace-web-master675-v3.jpg (71 KB, 675x380) Image search: [Google]
05horace-web-master675-v3.jpg
71 KB, 675x380
>when a part of you believes he could keep on living with them in his condition.
>>
>>67863848
kurt metzger was GOAT
>>
>>67864006
he was the funnest part.
>>
>>67863778
that was something I really noticed after the finale, during the show you kind of like the entire thing with the gruff bartenders being assholes, like it has some kind of charm that keeps justifying why they keep continuing the cycle. Then you start to realize that his sister is right and it's just a toxic black hole that destroys and enables ugliness. I think the whole Horace and Pete that's how it's always been argument was supposed to represent abuse being passed down and you feel kind of sick at the end for liking it at a point.
>>
>Pete stabs Horace to death right after a very theatrical blackout. Thematically, it's a nice, if brutal, touch that Horace dies in part because Sylvia had the knife out to prepare for the bar to finally serve mixed drinks. Keeping the bar open out of tradition led Horace to the moment of his death, but so did Sylvia's breaking of tradition. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-horace-and-pete-concludes-as-one-of-the-very-best-dramas-youll-see#Xsjw2qAeiqq4KVB6.99
>>
>>67863833
Buscemi's role in this episode made him a waaaay less comedic kind of asshole. it was a marked distinction considering that he got a few sympathy points for killing himself.
>>
>that improvised amy sedaris cameo

like holy shit that just elevated the whole finale to another level and made the ending like a 1000000% more devastating
>>
>>67864170

I like that she wasn't a 100% perfect woman.
>>
>>67864032
the discussion at the bar (concluding that you need to be kind to mean people even if they hurt you) made for touching counterpoint. I think the point is the Louis wishes that worked but the best option is almost always to GTFO while you can instead.
>>
>>67864170
She didn't bother me as much as she looks like she was going to.
>>
Why is episode three rated so highly? I found it to be the worst episode, literally a single conversation with his ex for 45 minutes, with majority of it being only her speaking. Her story being unique but not very engaging, and not really adding to the series at all.
>>
>>67864493
Heartwarming moment when Horace hears about his son. Literally the whole reason.
>>
>>67864493
Great acting, great monologue
>>
The story shows us how Horace and Pete's downfall was brought inevitably because of what the previous generation left them with. It wasn't an abrupt ending, it was a slow slide into the abyss. That's how most things disappear. And society inevitably falls. Their generation of H&P was doomed from the get go, I think that's why we got a flashback.
>>
>>67864493
I think because the format of it just being this single conversation made it interesting, I mean TV shows are so formulaic it's nice to see something do whatever it wants
>>
Is there any symbolic importance to it being Easter?
>>
>>67864897
well pete came back from the dead
>>
Can anyone tell who it is that opens the bar door at the very last second before it cuts to credits?

It's super fast but as Edio Falco is crying watch the door. Probably just a mistake but maybe Louis CK snuck someone in?
>>
>>67864999
I just checked, right as it fades, Sylvia's black boyfriend.
>>
I found it outta character that Flashback Horace (the dad) Separated the gay guy from Pete when he was giving shit to his son earlier about being a faggot.
>>
>special thanks: Joe Pesci

I wonder if he was actually involved, or if it's more an inspiration type thanks
>>
>>67865411
Apparently he first approached Pesci about playing old Pete. Maybe he declined but offered up good notes for the character or something
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.