[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did a 25 year old Paul Thomas Anderson get the money to make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
How did a 25 year old Paul Thomas Anderson get the money to make his first movieBOOGIE NIGHTS with S-Tier Cinematographer and Actors?

Other directors started their first movies with shit tier money.
>>
File: Paul-Thomas-Anderson.jpg (37 KB, 535x378) Image search: [Google]
Paul-Thomas-Anderson.jpg
37 KB, 535x378
I stole the money from a bank
>>
>>67858266

Boogie Nights wasn't PTA's first movie. he made a pretty damn good neo-noir in Hard Eight. studio's saw potential and he delivered.

any more questions?
>>
Same question again, but replace Boogie Nights with Hard Eight.
>>
>>67858462
times were different back then, but i'd say nepotism probably played a huge roll. know what, just go and read his wikipedia. it answers this and OP's question.
>>
>>67858266
>S-Tier
What is this, a /v/ maymay?
>>
>>67858266
Not his first movie, had good shit to show producers before he made Boogie Nights, a lot of the actors weren't as in demand at the time they were in Boogie Nights as some were before and some became afterwards.
>>
Even before Hard Eight, he took all the money he got back from dropping out of college and renting a camera and paying actors. They showed Hard Eight at festivals and he got a job.
>>
>>67858266
>>67858462

He made a short and wrote a good enough script to get accepted into the Sundance Insitute. Same place Tarantino, Aronofsky, and Wes Anderson got their breaks.
>>
producers were throwing money at indies in the 90s after tarantino's success
>>
>>67858731
>producers were throwing money at indies in the 90s after tarantino's success
THIS

PTA started doing movies in the right place at the right time.

It was a different time back then.

But the same shit is happening now again but instead the indue cucks are rebooting big franchises.

Look at the director of Jurassic World, it's made by a fucking indie cuck nobody.

Or the director of 10 Cloverfield Lane, also a nobody.
>>
>For $20,000, made up of gambling winnings, his girlfriend's credit card, and money his father set aside for him for college,[12] Anderson made Cigarettes & Coffee (1993)
>>
>After the success of Boogie Nights, New Line told Anderson that he could do whatever he wanted for his next film and granted him creative control

This nigga Paul Thomas Anderson lived the dream but with hard work.
>>
>>67859124
This can also go terribly wrong for all involved. The guy who directed Chronicle was given both the fantastic four reboot and a star wars spin off flick. He fucked up so hard he has become a cautionary tale for the studios.

The old progression is gone. Now it's no budget indie to $100 million reboot where the producers are calling the shots.

The guy who directed Saw and The Conjuring got to do Furious 7 and is doing Aquaman.
>>
>>67859277
This is my plan
what happens when you spend all of your money making a film that no distributors buy?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.