[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how do you do a proper cliffhanger?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 437x336) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 437x336
What is a good example of a cliffhanger gone right and gone wrong?
>>
Everything Chuck did
>>
>>67851498
You don't.
>>
The Italian Job (the original)
>>
>>67851498
/tv/ - the walking plebs
>>
Breaking Bad did cliffhangers better than anyone, this is an objective fact. They were arguably the best part of the show.
>>
>>67851498

Episode V
>>
Does anyone have a pic of RIcks face when he realizes he fucked up?
>>
>>67851498
You can hear glenn say maggie after he is hit. Takes place when the blood runs down the screen. They made it loud enough to notice.
RIP glenn.
>>
File: The Walking Dead 100-Zone- 030.jpg (256 KB, 1041x1600) Image search: [Google]
The Walking Dead 100-Zone- 030.jpg
256 KB, 1041x1600
They could have simply shown the death, have it be extremely brutal, like Mountain and Oberyn tier. And then end it with this shot.
>>
"They're fucking with the wrong people" was proper. Wasn't in the middle of a scene.
>>
I don't understand why they didn't just shoot their way out of the first roadblock with a few guys or drive around the flaming logs.
>>
>>67852901
I was wondering the same thing. Sasha is a hell of a shot and their numbers were at least even.

The only reason I can think they wouldn't is if they thought there might be even more men hiding in the forest.
>>
File: jB2KtZ8.jpg (242 KB, 715x1116) Image search: [Google]
jB2KtZ8.jpg
242 KB, 715x1116
You don't. You show Daryl getting his shit bashed in.
>>
>>67852901
Every time they came to a new roadblock with more people I was just thinking
>"bet you wish you'd just fought that first block now eh?"
>>
I love Jeffery Dean Morgan, but I feel like he was miscast for this role. That, or, he needs to bring some more of the narcissistic charm that negan has in the graphic novels.
>>
>>67852778
/thread

The Empire Strikes back does not provide us with closure, but it resolves its current plot threads with an important climax ("I am your father" scene) and tells us that even though the bad guys won today, the jedi will get them back in the next one. It's still the most ambitious ending to any blockbuster franchise and it's still the best one too
>>
>>67853000
Also where the fuck was their RPG?
That could've easily cleared any of the roadblocks.

They had at last 3 rockets, and I only remember them firing it the one time.
>>
>>67851498
Two words - Naoki Urasawa
>>
>>67853040
>Also where the fuck was their RPG?

I thought they only 2 and used them both
>blowing up the bikers
>setting the gas tanker on fire in the lake
>>
>>67852672
Yep. Contrarians are going to argue but it's true.
>Never leaving something the viewer thought they would see to cliffhanger, always bringing in a new plot point
>Being totally out of left field
>Resolution of the cliffhanger is always better than if it had been resolved when it started
>>
>>67853015
I liked him, but he looks way too lanklet for the role.
>>
>Gimple bullshiting about how this "ends a story" and when it's revealed who dies it's a "new story"
I wanted to murder him right there. But only after he admitted he was wrong and a worthless piece of shit.
>>
>>67851498
This is definitely a cliffhanger gone wrong. The big thing about Negan in the comics is he killed off a main character who was there from the beginning, thus cementing his place as the big bad the characters and readers truly fear. If its a major character in the show, then they ruined it by having their death be some random shit to start off the new season without having the buildup and momentum from that whole episode and Negans intro/speech. If its not a major character, then Negans character doesn't have as big of an impact on the viewers. Either way they fucked up big time with this.
>>
File: rpg.jpg (45 KB, 460x305) Image search: [Google]
rpg.jpg
45 KB, 460x305
>>67853123
There was 3+1
Since it was loaded when he found it.
>>
greatest cliffhanger of all time was LOST season 1.
prove me wrong
What's in the hatch
>>
>>67853384
Well then it probably would have been smart for them to take it with when they know the saviors are out there
>>
Why do you people keep wanting a six foot wide Charlie Adlard drawing to play Negan? Real humans aren't proportioned like that you topcucks.
>>
>>67853675
because it needs to be as close to >muh manchild cartoon book as possible
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (27 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
27 KB, 600x600
>>67853675
>>67853716

who really cares tbqhf
>>
File: TheThingsIDoForLove.jpg (48 KB, 628x340) Image search: [Google]
TheThingsIDoForLove.jpg
48 KB, 628x340
>>
>>67853573
star trek the next generation best of both worlds part 1
>>
>>67851498
Why couldn't they just show Glenn getting his head caved in, and then have Negan go "Okay who's next?" then do the POV cliffhanger kill?
>>
>all those leaks of it ending on a cliffhanger
>"nah, inside sources say that's just to stop the ending being leaked"
>all those theories
>leaks that the last shot will definitely be a POV cliffhanger
>"fuck you AMC!"
>damage control, "nah guys, they'll probably do a 2-for1 thing. Rick's group''s killed so many that there's no way Negan will let him get away with just one person being killed"
>huh, that might be quite cool
>theories about punished glenn
>episode finally airs
>it's a cliffhanger where Negan only kills one person

Fool me once and all that shit...
>>
http://carl-greyems.tumblr.com/private/142035415291/tumblr_o4xdeaiypi1v88mdc

it's glenn
>>
>>67854386
He can still kill two people, I really want him to kill Daryl and Glenn. I think that would redeem the shitty cliff hanger.
>>
Every episode of Prison Break S1 has a cliffhanger
>>
>>67854386
after the fakeout glenn death i'd put absolutely nothing past the writers at this point, they're entirely shameless. It'll be some literal nobody character too. The shows always been shit but now it's actually soap-opera tier and the show itself is just a hollow vessel for advertisements
>>
why did negan kill the cameraman
>>
>>67853015
i thinkjust getting henry rollins himself might have been cool.
>>
Lost

The main plots of each season actually wrapped up, and the cliffhangers were there to give you a glimpse at the larger story they were telling.
>>
>>67853943
yeah I agree
>>
>>67852672
Yeah they did so many and they rarely felt cheap or unearned.
>>
Their facebook page is full of insults from fans. Nobody liked it.
>>
>>67853943
Completely different. There is an episode next week after this. We are talking season finales...
>>
File: walking dead facebook.png (2 MB, 1233x3072) Image search: [Google]
walking dead facebook.png
2 MB, 1233x3072
>>67855965
Holy shit
AMC must be shitting themselves
>perhaps teasing up to a really emotional, powerful death and then not delivering it wasn't a good idea guys
>>
>>67854138
Because they wanted to "melt" the internet...
Also this is just a tactic to hide the fact that while the show draws a lot of rating.. Writing wise, it doesn't really have that much going on , so they have to create this "omg guess I'm gonna have to watch at least 4 episodes of the next season , if not I might miss who got killed"
>>
>>67855556
Gimple pisses me off so nuch.
>W...When they opened the hatch...
>Hardwick:You mean on Lost?
>Y..Yeah, they did these cliffhangers too

Fuck off
>>
What if Negan didn't kill anyone and instead smashed maggie's womb?
>>
I honestly don't think it was Glenn. TV audience and comic audiences are WAY different. Daryl and Glenn are fucking incredibly mainstream popular and killing them off would legit ruin ratings. Whereas comics can survive because the audience for comics is more used to that crap.
>>
>>67853573
>not 'WE HAVE TO GO BACK'
>>
>>67858318
We have to go back is the correct answer to OP's question.
>>
>>67858166
Negan's a funny guy so maybe he was just pulling a Gallagher routine with a watermelon and that's why juice was running down the screen
>>
>>67857024

>Walking dead fags actually calling out the show when its shit

never thought id see this
>>
>>67853573
I was going to say "Not Penny's Boat"-death, drama, and a mystery for next season

Hell, Lost had fantastic cliffhangers most of the time. They just couldn't resolve any of them.
>>
>>67858090
This. Whatever your opinion of Lost, it's season finales were fucking feature film quality, and left you itching to find out what happened next without cheap writing gymnastics.

This is like running for 25 miles, stopping for a few days for a few good meals and rest, then running the last mile and calling it a marathon.
>>
>>67854542
>"Mag-"
That's Negan saying "(Look at) that".
>>
>>67858421
It happened during that first Beth Daryl episode where they fully pandered to Daryl faggots and everyone else called them out because it was so shitty.

Daryl is the worst thing to happen to tge show because the writers gauge what to do based on their reactions. This whole cliffhanger thing is to make daryl fans sweat, and guarantee huge ratings for the season 7 premiere.
>>
>>67857024
>you're going to regret this AMC
kek
normies always threaten networks like they can actually do something to them. They do the same shit with GoT
>>
>yfw it's Carl and they just merge two plots together
>Negan beats him and takes his body away
>Group flips out and swears revenge and all that jazz
>Mid-season finale
>Rick attacks Negan
>"Lol Rick you're gonna love what I did with your boys body"
>Twist of the finale is that Carl is alive and has just been living with Negan
>>
>>67858793

this
>>
>>67858793
That would be the fucking worst.
>>
>>67851498
What is a good example of a cliffhanger gone right?
>We have to go back, Kate!
>>
>>67852838
>>67852838
Shouldn't it be "TA-DA"
>>
>>67858662
Because they're copying the quote Negan said and is captioned in that photo?
>>
>future serial killer
What did the pee-pee man mean by this?
>>
>>67859115
No?
>>
>>67859148
He saw that Coral's all fucked up.
>>
>>67852838
This. It would have been a fucking Red Wedding tier moment, leaving the whole audience (at least everyone who didn't know it was coming) mouths agape and screaming WHAT THE FUCK!? at their televisions and shit.

You'd have people talking about it for fucking months.

It's also gonna fuck with the pacing of next season's premiere... the ONLY way you can start the next episode and not piss off your whole audience is to open with the beating... which is immediately the most dramatic and shocking moment of the episode, which turns the entire premiere into two minutes of HOLY FUCK followed by 45 minutes of "well this isn't as interesting as the first two minutes".

Seriously, what network executive chucklefuck approved that decision?
>>
>>67853328
Exactly.
>>
>>67859325
Season premiere is obvious. It will be the exact same scene as the finale, but instead of POV it will show who was killed. This way they can throw everyone's names into the credits and avoid spoiling who died ahead of time.
>>
>>67859115
No. Ta Ta is a snarky way of saying goodbye/cya later, you retard.
>>
>>67859325
And if they do, it completely ruins the fucking impact, because now it's a shitty cold open instead of having all that fucking glorious tension and momentum building up to it.
>>
>>67852838
Exactly this. The problem with not even showing it is it's obviously a gimmick to make everyone hyped for the next season which is the worst thing in the world but its a fucking shitty gimmick. They're trying to do a "Who shot JR" but it fucking sucks . It's especially annoying considering how fucking boring the rest of the episode was. I mean the first few times they ran into a road block it was kinda creepy and showed how fucked they were, but I did need to see that shit over and over again for 90 fucking minutes only to get blue balled in the end until god damn October.
>>
>>67859608
I meant to say a gimmicky cliffhanger by itself isn't the worst thing in the world. Although this is one of the worst I've ever seen.
>>
>>67859325
>It's also gonna fuck with the pacing of next season's premiere

I'm confident the premiere is just going have its first 40 minutes focused on Carol and Morgan, 5 minutes on Alexandria, and then 2 minutes on Negan/Rick to finally reveal who got killed.
>>
>>67859608
>>67859736
The problem with a gimmick is that it makes everything around it seem gimmicky by comparison.

Negan should have been fucking terrifying... instead he comes across as too goofy to take seriously.
The death of a main character should have been shocking... instead it's turned into a shitty WHO IS IT!? cliffhanger
>>
>>67859805
But that'll just piss people off more.

It's like... imagine if the Red Wedding episode of GOT ended with Catelyn screaming Robb's name and then the finale made you sit through 50 goddamn minutes of filler before finally getting to see what happened at the very end of the episode.

AMC fucked this up in every way possible. There are ZERO scenarios where they deliver a satisfying conclusion to this.
>>
>>67859897
Or more accurately, if her screaming Robb's name was how they ended the season and you had to wait a year to see what happened next.
>>
>>67854542

TAAAAAAKIN IT LIIIKE A CHAAAAAAMP
>>
so is this show about zombies anymore
>>
When you resolved the main plot and want to giddy the audience for your next masterpiece.

pic related: the single best cliffhanger to hype the next movie
>>
File: Dontrel.jpg (5 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
Dontrel.jpg
5 KB, 184x184
>>67859115
you mean WA LA!
>>
File: Mr_Freeze.jpg (38 KB, 432x285) Image search: [Google]
Mr_Freeze.jpg
38 KB, 432x285
>>67852614
>>
>>67852838
Who is beaten in the book?
>>
File: 2.jpg (189 KB, 655x450) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
189 KB, 655x450
>>67862116
>>67862116
>>
>>67862290
They should cancel this show because of how terrible it has been handled
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.