[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Season 2 >= Season 1 imo. I fucking love true detective like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9
File: TDBar640[1].jpg (54 KB, 640x332) Image search: [Google]
TDBar640[1].jpg
54 KB, 640x332
Season 2 >= Season 1 imo. I fucking love true detective like it's my kid. Please someone talk to me about this. why didnt people like it as much as 1? I'm so fucking butthurt that velcoro dies fuck me
>>
Frank's scene in the desert was great
>>
everything is fucking
>>
>>67846495
The driving conflict manages to be both convoluted and uninspired, the dialogue for Frank was laughably bad at times, lame intro music, and plot points that just weren't resolved very well. Whole thing felt rushed, a cautionary tale of less is more.
>>
>>67846544
I loved that. I was so sick that he couldn't meet jordan at the park too ;_;
>>
>>67846495
All the female characters are horribly cringy. I could skip most of their dialog in s1 and it didn't affect anything. Not so in s2
>>
File: Aniposting.webm (1 MB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Aniposting.webm
1 MB, 960x720
>>67846751
Ani was great
>>
File: We Have Become True Detective.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
We Have Become True Detective.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>Yeah, ok, yeah.

I think I enjoyed Season 1 more but season 2 had a lot stronger emotional impact.
>>
>>67846653
I just wanna address all that one by one.
I guess the driving conflict of corruption in the city is kind of typical, and things get confusing sometimes. But I really think that Nic wants to emphasize the environment as the main character. The cities and even the forest, those slow moving aerial shots really seemed menacing to me. The cars crawl by on the express ways, insignificant. All of the characters and their outlooks are complete reactions to their environments, in childhood, adolescence, and in present day. And I always think to myself that there aren't really many original stories, and that it's more the way a story is told that matters. But that may just be me liking TD haha.

I honestly have heard the criticism for Frank's dialogue, but I guess I was just too immersed to notice. I really saw Frank as someone that tried very hard to be composed and control every little aspect of his life and environment. He wanted to do things his way, properly. which ultimately leads to his demise I guess I'll have to look again.

Agree, intro music was horrible. Tolerable in season one but just terrible here.

I also do agree with how rushed things felt, especially towards the end, but I'm happy that they at least tied everything up.
>>
File: 1434965351147.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1434965351147.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
>Your dad will never buy you an HG Jagd Doga
>>
File: frank.png (230 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
frank.png
230 KB, 620x388
It's a dog eat dog world and I'm a fucking Korean restaurant. Caspare knew this.
>>
>>67846495
True detective felt very shallow. Even the first season was completely overhyped.
>>
>>67846751
That's interesting, because I thought that the females were emphasized and played fairly well in season two. Care to elaborate?
>>
>>67846937
Obviously I'm a big fan, but I can see how it wouldn't be as satisfying to some people. I guess it's because I'm just a fan of darker stuff like that.
>>
>>67846791
her reaction to bane was pretty good I guess
>>
>>67847005
Oh I enjoyed it, but mostly just for the whole tone. The setting (poor rural america) and characters like rust made it interesting (like you said, dark, grim and gritty), but I never understood why it got so much praise.
>>
>>67846495
season 1
>great acting from McConaughey and Harrelson
>great screenplay with some remerkable influence by Ligotti literature
>intriguing narrative due to temporal jumps

season
> none of these
>>
>>67847229
REEEEEEEEEEE
*season 2
>>
>>67847190
Hmmm, I'd venture to say that it's quite unique? And of course Harrelson and McConaughey's acting. The writing is pretty good as well imo. Any shows you'd recommend with a similar dark, tone? Seen Black Mirror and that's about it. Just getting into TV shows desu, was always a film guy.
>>
>>67847229
I'd argue that the acting in season two was pretty great, especially Farrell and Vaughn (yeah I said it, Vaughn). Probably not as great as One, obvi.

But yeah, the temporal skips in one blew my mind, and they had that mini skip in Two, but it just wasn't as big, so it wasn't as effective for me.

I really appreciate the mention of Ligotti because I had no idea of who that was. And I agree that the mysticism of the murders in One really helped to drive the mystery.
>>
>>67846872
>music in season one was 'tolerable'

the music in season one was fucking great and you're probably underage if you didn't think so
>>
>>67847298
okay i guess i fucking freudian typed that desu since im drunk but i do not remember that at all please excuse that
>>
>>67847425
I meant intro music, and I stand by that. The actual music in the show is amazing though, so yeah.
>>
>>67847298
I guess that's true - every aspect of it was good, there wasn't anything that dragged it down. I don't know about shows but two movies that gave me a similar vibe were memories of murder and the marshlands (if you haven't already seen them).
>>
>>67847465
ACROSS THE DUSTY MAY SUN
>>
>>67847500
Okay, you're right it's pretty good. Just revisited it and I realized
>>
>>67847480
I haven't, thank you!
>>
>>67847557
No worries, hopefully you'll enjoy them.
>>
Season 2 is a lot less memorable than season 1. I practically forgot about it completely for a long time until I saw it mentioned on /tv/ one day.
>>
>>67846495
Season 2 had some good concepts what killed it for me was that every character was Rust Cohle from S1. The depressing and damaged character archetype doesn't work very well without some sort of foil (Marty Hart in Season 1 obviously)
>>
File: 1438988511688.webm (3 MB, 720x450) Image search: [Google]
1438988511688.webm
3 MB, 720x450
le s2 is better normies get out reeee meme thread
>>
>>67848329
It was unrelenting
For my part I would have kept Ani and Ray as the leading duo, with Vince and Woodrough as supporting characters. The latter two were just not important enough to the plot to merit all that screentime. The final three episodes, with Ani and Ray really forging a bond and the conspiracy closing in, were as good as the best eps of S1.
>>
>>67847229
>Ligotti
>literature
>>
>>67846495
That pic always reminds me of pic related.
>>
File: 1439282235421.png (404 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1439282235421.png
404 KB, 720x404
>>67846544
>>
Season 1 had Cary fukunaga direct every episode, season 2 was a mess because it had a different guy directing per episode
>>
>muh everybody dies except the girl

Reddit: the season
>>
Truly good things:

>Farell in general
>Ani and Farell being damaged together
>Gaycop being operator
>Frank-wife interaction
>Several Frank Scenes (like the one after he has that guy beaten)

Only good for memes:

>Frank in general
>fat pussy

Missed potential:

>the Crowetta man
>>
>>67846495
>why dont people like it as much

the plot literally made absolutely no goddamned sense
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.