[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Pacific
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 15
File: the-pacific.jpg (2 MB, 1787x1160) Image search: [Google]
the-pacific.jpg
2 MB, 1787x1160
Band of Brothers was incredible. Why is this such a fucking turd, it's like a fucking soap opera, not one line from one character in this show is even remotely believable
>>
>>67842987

Pacific is way superior to Band of Plebs.
>>
>>67843266

this, it's patrician and requires rewatching and attention to detail.
>>
>>67843266
>>67843316
nah it's fucking trash, i don't even remember most of it
>>
>>67843266
>>67843316
you can't be an actual fully grown adult with a basic understanding of how humans actually interact and believe this
>>
>>67843362

Band of Plebs is based on a book by a shit tier plagiarist that shits on actual historical research from hard contemporary archive sources based on what bunch of guys remember 50 years later. Even if it contradicts US, British and German after action reports. It's a book that calls every German tank a Tiger.
>>
>>67843753
and yet it's one of the best shows ever made, obviously did something right
>>
>>67842987

They're both fantastic, your problem is that you watched BoB and then watched this thinking it would be more of the same.

They're different stories with different messages and different tones. They shouldn't be compared and should instead be enjoyed on their own merits.

Mmmm'kay sledgehamah?
>>
>>67842987

Kek.

>one based on a fraudulent and glorified account of senile old veterans

>one based on the accounts of the first wave of grunts fighting the most crucial fight for the US in WW2 on Guadalcanal.

Guess which one is the better and more historically accurate tv show.

I actually refused to watch "The Pacific" in 2010, because I didnt wanna watch another BoB and roll my eyes at the bullshit glorifying.

Turns out the Pacific is fucking amazing.
>>
>>67844222
>Guess which one is the better and more historically accurate tv show
and guess which one is more entertaining? i'll give you a hint, it doesn't involve slanty eyed shitskins
>>
>>67844470

Kek. Entertaining is relative.

I was bored watching BoB with soft-voiced narrators and pg13 violence.

>OH SO SAD I WOULDNT HAVE LAUGHED IF ID KNOWN WHAT HAPPENED TO TOYE AND STEREOTYPICAL ITALIAN
>SO SAD

The Pacific is about the US' most important and most violent battles in WW2.

>Guadalcanal
>Iwo Jima
>Okinawa

The 101st literally was irrelevant.

Even Bastogne arguably the only relevant action they did, was supported by armored divisions.

Make a 10 episode show about the strategic bombing, or Patton's 10th army and Ill watch it.
>>
>>67844623
careful bruh, you might cut yourself with that edge
>>
>>67844682

And thus the argument is over.

Thanks for trying to argue.

May I suggest you read up on history and then attempt to argue with facts, instead of relying on age-old memes in the form of sad ad-hominems?
>>
>it's a Japanese are getting mowed down by the dozens in slow motion and then afterwards one of the main characters looks at the battlefield in horror

this shit must have happened at least a dozen times in The Pacific
>>
>>67844773
lol you call that an argument? fucking kids these days
>>
>>67844833

>2nd post
>0 arguments

Keep trying. Youll get there some day.
>>
Please tell me I'm not the only non-retarded person and there is in fact a silent majority of people who can appreciate both series for their strengths and shortcomings? Fuck it who am I kidding.
>>
>>67844833
not even that guy but u got fucking wrecked and everyone in this thread can see it. lmao

you look like a child sputtering those canned schoolyard retorts
>>
>>67844869
you're literally retarded aren't you?
>>
>>67844912
18+ kid, shouldn't you be in bed? i'm sure your father is waiting to "tuck" you in
>>
>>67844930

Literally would imply that Im incapable of forming a coherent sentence, let alone manage to operate and navigate the internet.

You probably mean "figuratively" retarded, which is probably true from your perspective.
>>
>>67844980
nah i know what i meant, literal fucking retard just as i thought
>>
>>67844963
rofl your embarrassment is already enshrined in this thread. it's too late for you to save face.
>>
> not going homo for snafu
FAG
>>
>>67844803
Yeah
One of the best parts of BoB was the combat choreography and effects
When Winters was getting shot at in that trench on D-day I was clawing at the arms of my chair
>>
>>67845033

Then you should also learn to use "literally" properly.
>>
>>67845126
you should learn not to be a literal retard
>>
>>67845155

Thats kinda paradoxical. Down syndrome is hard to reverse.
>>
>>67845194
nah you just have to not be retarded
>>
>>67844803
This kind of shit. It's like football scenes in the room, the kind of thing where it feels like some guy making his first movie or show, saying "hmm, what usually happens in these things," and then just doing it without it actually meaning anything. Adding no context, just a ploy to get you to feel for some guy who couldn't possibly be feeling anything himself, the way the show tells it.

But I think the worst thing about the Pacific is that it has all these petty bullshit scenes of people just talking, saying nothing anyone would ever say, having like high school level bullshit drama. Sometimes stuff happens in BoB and it doesn't directly lead someone to do something, but rather may just have a more general influence on someone, and this may or may not result in something entertaining. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT LIFE IS LIKE. It isn't a carefully planned story that feels like every single thing that happens only happens to set up the next thing. Real life has fat. When you trim it away, you're left with some fucking story. I don't want a gay story about some faggot, I want to see a group of people move toward a greater goal, and how the journey affects them. That's the difference between them. One is about petty bullshit entertainment, and the other is about peoples' actual lives.
>>
I stopped gibing a shit about the Pacific when the first "battle" scene was just dozens of waves of nips jogging into the machinegun fire for 10 minutes. Then "he went tah get more ammo what a hee-ro!!"

Say what you will about BoB, but the battle scenes were fantastic. And when it comes down to it, a war movie/show needs good battle scenes.
>>
Hey kids, historical accuracy is irrelevant when it comes to whether or not something is good.

Grow up and start arguing like adults.
>>
>>67845252

So youre saying that the Pacific felt fake?

And then youre saying that BoB felt like an accurate portrayal of soldiers in war?

I dont know hot to tell you this anon...
>>
>>67843266

Well, I can see why the edgelords would claim this but no, it really is not.
>>
>>67845323

BoB did way more lionization of those characters, a few of them were almost like superheroes. c'mon you're telling me that dick winters was NEVER an asshole?
>>
>>67845323
BoB felt like it was about war. Pacific felt like it was about a few peoples' dumb drama I don't care about.
>>
>>67845295

You do realise that that "fight" you are referencing is what actually happened and gave Basilone his Medal of Honor.
>>
>>67845323
no it felt like it had shit writing and a shit budget so they cut as many corners as possible then sold it as a BoB sequel knowing that'd bring in the ratings. those ratings btw just got lower and lower each episode
>>
File: 1429868842663.jpg (17 KB, 407x379) Image search: [Google]
1429868842663.jpg
17 KB, 407x379
>tfw no WW1 HBO miniseries
>>
>>67845412

Yeah, because one was a casual stroll through Europe, the other was a brutal yard-for-yard fight for the survival of Australia against a superior and invading force.

You dont think that would affect soldiers differently?

Youre essentially saying:

>I want to see how soldiers coast to victory without ever having any setbacks.

>>67845402

Dick Winters was a total cunt according to historians.
Sobel killed himself for fucks sake.
>>
>>67845416
You do realize that it makes for shit TV
>>
speaking of ratings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Band_of_Brothers_episodes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Pacific_episodes

>Pacific BTFO
>>
>>67845295
Yeah, the battle scenes can be really bad. There's one scene in like the fourth episode that I couldn't even get through because it was just boring; it was a lot of flashes and noise but it was this night time firefight and they refused to focus on anyone at any time, and so it was just unintelligible lights and noise. And if that's what they were going for them I kind of understand, but last time I watched Carentan, I (was kind of high but) felt genuine fear, and seriously felt overwhelmed by everything that was going on, and I could actually see everything that was happening.
>>
>>67845441

Thos ratings also reflect the naivety of US' audiences reaction to war.

Americans view war like BOB, some fights, but essentially a comfy walk to Berlin.

The Pacific was an existential threat to the US.

If it hadnt been for Guadalcanal and Midway, things would have turned out very differently, once Australia/Hawaii had been taken out.
>>
>marathon The Pacific
>can't name a single fucking character except the Eugene and the other faggot
>>
>>67845485

>shit tv

And yet I enjoyed the Pacific much more than BoB.
>>
>>67845529
>comfy walk to Berlin
it's like you didn't even watch the fucking show. everything was far more brutal and intense. Pacific consists of watching some faggots hide in the bush for 10 hours
>>
>>67845537
>and the other faggot

Snafu?
>>
>>67845448
anzacs is the next best thing
BoB before BoB
>>
>>67845556
You are objectively wrong
>>
>>67845482
The pacific had that guy fall in love with the bitch in Australia that he stayed with for days and she had to break up with him so her MOTHER wouldn't be sad when he died. That's WAY more involved than anyone in BoB got with anyone in their theater. Also literally the whole first part with Guadalcanal is them getting to the island, finding it's already being handled, getting in a firefight or two, and then surprise surprise, someone took the airfield for them. A lot of things here directly contradicting your whole "strolling" argument
>>
>>67845612
well, him too. I meant the other guy, one who goes on medical leave or something

he was fucking Elisha Cuthbert on 24
>>
>>67845556
And nobody gives a fuck about your opinion, see >>67845500 for proof.
>>
You can at least admit that the theme song was better than the Band of Brothers one
>>
>>67845709

this is an 18+ board
>>
>>67845730
fuck no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gec7OUrj87M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtmAiNG2Lxk
>>
>>67845529

>The Pacific was an existential threat to the US.

Nips would have never been able to take Australia, let alone Hawaii.

Still, I'm guessing the Pacific tried to recreate the brutal and inhumanizing island-hopping battles. Too bad that also meant the characters turning out flat and uninteresting.
>>
>>67845730
hahahahaha
this fucking guy
>>
>>67845771
yes it is, so why are you here?
>>
>>67845730

Different anon, but I also agree with this.
>>
>>67845578

Ok.

>Episode 1
>comfy Currahee

>Episode 2
>the greatest day
>literally parachute behind underpowered enemy lines
>kill a few Germans
>gather during the day, shoot some German POWs
>assault ONE defensive German position with 4 88s

>Episode 3
>Assault Carentan, a underpowered German defended village (not even city)
>after controlling the village, go outside the village and set up defensive line and wait for German counterattack
>get counter-attacked
>almost get wiped out
>DEUS EX MACHINA
>ITS THE 3rd ARMORED DIVISION WITH SHERMANS

>Episode 4
>Operation Market Garden
>drop into Holland
>liberate Eindhoven unopposed
>push outside Eindhoven and fight for some tiny ass village
>get rekt by a couple of "TIGERS"
>get in trucks

>Episode 5
>showing Winters' new job and CO
>he types up various encounters and events during a few weeks including rescuing some British red barets and assaulting the crossroads, essentially ambushing 2 German companies
>Episodes ends with Battle of the Bulge, the Germans broke through the Allied lines

>Episode 6
>Bastogne
>holding out in the cold against equally inactive and cold Germans
>nothing happens at all except occasional arty and mortar fire.

>episode 7
>the company pushed outside of Bastogne and gets instructed to hold the line against Germans in a village with arty
>get shelled all episode
>episode ends with taking the village

>Episode 8
>already In Germany
>instructed to take some prisoners over the river

>Episode 9
>liberation of a Dachau satellite

>Episode 10
>occupation force

Now compare that to the Pacific.
>>
>>67845772
Thanks for confirming
>>
>>67845804
tl;dr
>>
>>67845772

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsdHfzfMtv0
Get the fuck out of here.

Hans Zimmer's best.
>>
>>67845804
>completely slim down and purposely make everything sound like shit
>>
>>67845781
Stop
>>
>>67845857
>hans memer

yeah nah
>>
>>67845862

Because it is.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalcanal_Campaign
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Peleliu
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Iwo_Jima
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Okinawa
>>
>>67845804
okay, well, besides the fact that i don't have the patience to make the comparison, what is your actual point here? you're trying to say the pacific guys saw more action, so they were differently affected or whatever, but you've yet to explain how. why does it make it different from BoB, what would YOU say are the differences not between the experiences of the different people, but between the two different SHOWS? that's what we're talking about, and you haven't said almost anything about it.
>>
>>67845925
yeah no faggot we're comparing the shows not the RL events
>>
>>67845948

Im making the point that the magnitude and severity of combat in the Pacific of the 1st Marine division was exponentially more significant and more violent to anything the 101st, let alone the 506th regiment ever saw, which is directly reflected in both the attitude and levity of some BoB episodes.

Ofcourse this would create a different narrative and tone of the characters, than BoB, which alot of people use as an argument to argue the quality of "the Pacific",when comparing the highly glorified BoB.
>>
>>67845804
>Now compare that to the Pacific.
Aryans as enemies are better than gooks.
>>
>>67843266
>being this contrarian
>>
>>67846018
there you go again comparing the RL events. fuck off to /his/
>>
A challenger...appears?
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEiwR5HGMkk
>>
>>67846060

>he cant read
>>
>>67844623
>The Pacific is about the US' most important and most violent battles in WW2.

Best thing when it comes to battles in the Pacific is the huge focus on Peleliu. The most irrelevant and one of bloodiest battles of Pacific theater. Whole thing was supposed to be done in three days, a week in worst case... actually lasted for almost 3 months. Once island was secured it was never used for anything. They could have just fucked up the airfield with shore bombardment and fuck off, maybe repeat it once a month with a small naval squadron to prevent Japs from repairing the runways.

The things in The Pacific that were changed for dramatic reasons are tiny and both are changes to characters.

SNAFU is made more fucked up than he actually was, probably to remove characters from narrative, guys who did more of that fucked up shit like corpse mutilation and winning hearts and minds with bayonet.

They tried to make Leckie more likable, by making him have a relationship while in 'straya instead of more booze and different whore on each leave.
>>
>>67846018
We're comparing the SHOWS fuckboy.

BoB was saving private ryan good. The Pacific was the thin red line. Boring, plodding, artsy fartsy war is hell schlock.

Everyone with a functioning brain knows the two theaters were very different, and it wasn't the setting that made BoB better. It was the coherence in narrative, the better done fight scenes, the actors performances, the scripts.

But you're just gonna continue being a hipster contrarian so I don't know why I even bothered typing this.
>>
>>67846129
That's an unfair comparison
>>
>>67845925
>iwo jima scene (note: singular)
>guadalcanal (sits on ass, one fight where the japs just run at them)
>peleliu (charge that building! die, sit around bitching. Que comedic guy shitting and running from a dumb jap)
>okinawa (muh crazy snafu. muh war is hell. muh dying jap girl)

There, and then surrounding that is a whole bunch of dumb shit about a few assholes we couldn't even begin to like, all the while taking place in australia or some crazy hospital base

BoB >Generation War > Stalingrad 2015 > Pacific

Thats how shit it is.
>>
>>67846152
of course it is, you're comparing an amazing show to a piece of trash only made to cash in on the first shows success
>>
>>67846255

how dare you put that euroshit ahead of anything produced by HBO
>>
>>67846354
I'm talking about the TRL comparison. Pacific has some amount of merit, of course I don't think it's better than BoB though
>>
>>67846255
they made a stalingrad series?
>>
>>67845804
Episodes 1 and 10 at least developed the characters and brought things around to a satisfying conclusion. In the Pacific you have the 'let's spend and entire episode in Australia where absolutely nothing memorable happens'. I can think of a number of interesting moments of 1 and 10 from BoB alone versus maybe a couple of hazy recollections from the entirety of Pacific.
>>
File: gasd.jpg (118 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
gasd.jpg
118 KB, 500x375
>>67845804
>Episode 4
>Operation Market Garden
>drop into Holland
>liberate Eindhoven unopposed
>push outside Eindhoven and fight for some tiny ass village
>get rekt by a couple of "TIGERS"
>get in trucks

Reality is that they didn't even get rekt in that small town. Whole episode is pretty much fiction.

In reality Brits lost two Shermans and three men. Easy and Fox companies of 506th lost 4 men. Germans lost four JgPzIV's, few halftracks and bunch of soldiers.
>>
File: 1458024949268.jpg (188 KB, 582x636) Image search: [Google]
1458024949268.jpg
188 KB, 582x636
I still vividly remember the scene were that guy was throwing rocks into the japs skull.
>>
>>67845118
BoB did a pretty spectacular job of portraying everything, it's one of the only things to satisfy my /k/ itch for the era.
>>
>>67845252
> I don't want a gay story about some faggot, I want to see a group of people move toward a greater goal, and how the journey affects them.

So you want fairytale instead of reality.

>and how the journey affects them.

That is very much the whole point of the Pacific.

>>67845412
>BoB felt like it was about war.

BoB is epic drama... also know as fairytale.

>Pacific felt like it was about a few peoples' dumb drama I don't care about.

Pacific was all about how war turns you into animal and coming back to real life will be episode 2 for that nightmare. About how average guy reacts to the war.

Also all the fucking historical inaccuracies in BoB and down right slander it includes.
>>
File: 1349118929918.jpg (74 KB, 579x555) Image search: [Google]
1349118929918.jpg
74 KB, 579x555
>>67842987
>lower budget
>no intro boot camp where we are introduced to the characters, while making them recognizable
>mostly composed of american actors
>lackluster soundtrack
>cutscenes jumping from the war back home to the u.s, killing immersion

i didn't give a shit who leckie was, that was my issue with the series. i still like it of course, but sledge's book is way better.
>>
>>67849019
>i still like it of course, but sledge's book is way better.

>Merry Christmas Sledgehammer!

;___;
>>
Has anyone read sledge's with the old breed?

Its seriously one if the best accounts i read.

That one part when the marine drags the paralysed jap and starts to dislidge his jaw whislt hes still alive
>>
>>67847231

Sledge actually saw that, it wasnt snafu irl though just a random marine. The sound was described as a pebble being dropped into a puddle of water.

Half the the shit was too graphic. Read up on okinawa and saipan.
>>
>BoB has character development
>pacific has story driven episodes

Every single one of you nigs can't into screenplay
>>
>>67849312

>guy using his kabar knife to knock out a Jap's gold teeth
>misses since the guy's still alive and struggling
>slices him from ear to ear so he can work better

Not say the Japs weren't cunts too of course.

>cut the arms and heads off two GIs and stuff their cock and balls in their mouths

Fuck that war.
>>
File: 71+4QMtqOrL.jpg (189 KB, 783x1206) Image search: [Google]
71+4QMtqOrL.jpg
189 KB, 783x1206
He had some low points for sure but he was hilarious in this book, why was he such a wet blanket in the show?
>>
>>67849439

Fuck the japs t b h
>>
File: 1408907666763.gif (53 KB, 828x472) Image search: [Google]
1408907666763.gif
53 KB, 828x472
>watch BoB years ago and loved it
>re watch it recently with mum
>get to part where soldiers lose their legs
>get triggered cause brother lost his leg this year and cry uncontrollably

9/10 its okay

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy to take my mind of it and 30 mins into it the cartoon raccoon steals a man prosthetic for laughs. 8/10 only cape movie I am looking forward to
>>
>>67845048
You sound like a queer cunt m8.
>>
>>67849019
>lower budget

I remember reading somewhere that the budget was fuckhuge for a TV shot, somewhere around 200 mil
>>
>>67843266
lookie here, we got ourselves a contrarian
>>
>>67842987
I just wish they focused only on Sledge and Snafu.
Leckie and that other dude who got blown in Iwo Jima are just fucking boring in comparision.
>>
>>67846085
A show about a german company from Poland over the Invasion of france or Norway up to Russia would be totally epic and especially the sheer scale of battles in Russia ( if done good ) would make any american theater look like childs play.
>>
What would happen if the japs didn't constantly suicide charge the Americans?
>>
>>67852653
More casualties for the americans.
Main reason why Iwo Jima was such a big slaughter for the marines, is because the jap commander was smart enough to let men stay in their caves and fight from there, not waste men on suicide charges.
>>
Half of these posts sound like 13 year oldso treating their opinions as objective facts.

Sorry The Pacific wasn't sanitized enough for your elementary school level ideas about WWII.

Generation kill>>>>The pacific>>>>>band of brothers
>>
the pacific has based Rami

band of batties has jimmy fallon
>>
File: bobpac.jpg (108 KB, 766x538) Image search: [Google]
bobpac.jpg
108 KB, 766x538
>>
I think both series can be summarized with their 3rd episode
BoB
>tells a story of a rookie who's got PTSD and redeems himself in the end but gets seriously wounded later on, thus proving that you can get fucked up in the war as soon as you let your guard down
>features EC through bitter fighting in the Normandy (Carentan and Counterattack that follows)
The Pacific
>Leckie and his friends spend time in Melbourne drinking and fucking around. Leckie fucks some greek slut. Basilone gets his Medal of Honor and that's it
>>
>>67853206
What's your point? BoB had an episode like that you know, not active combat, characters more or less chilling.

I prefer BoB but this is stupid, I love me some Snafu though
>>
>It's a /tv/ uses a us vs them approach
No wonder this board is full of underagers. You can appreciate both you know, I understand not as much shitposting can happen but both are actually amazing desu
>>
Can someone post the Snafu image already ?
>>
>>67853206

The difference is that in Pacific main characters go to war and return home broken.

In Band of Brothers bunch guys go to war, everything goes as planned and pretty much everyone returned home same as they left.
>>
>>67850877
Yeah it ended up costing 50 million more than Band of Brothers did unless I guess adjusted for inflation since the dollar did lose a lot of purchasing power around the time that The Pacific was filmed.
>>
File: vietnamwar.jpg (79 KB, 800x557) Image search: [Google]
vietnamwar.jpg
79 KB, 800x557
Vietnam miniseries when?
>>
I've only ever seen The Pacific. I was just watching it as it aired back in 2010 and enjoyed the hell out of it. Some of the most brutal scenes of war I've ever seen. Everyone keeps saying that Band of Brothers is better but I keep losing interest in it during the first episode. I'm sure it's worth watching but I think it's David Schwimmer being in it that keeps throwing me off.
>>
Band of Brothers seems like a Saving Private Ryan sequel. It doesn't have an overarching theme or focus, it's just battles happen, exposition and probably a character episode or two.

While the battles were better staged in BoB, the Pacific is the better work about war, it captures the senselessness of war and it's sheer brutality. By the end of the series you understand why those guys had it far worse than any soldier on the western front.
>>
>>67855171

Just watch Tour of Duty
>>
>>67855074

Pacific was more expensive than BoB even when adjusted for inflation. They had to build pretty much everything for it. BoB was shot in UK with almost all gear was originally made for Saving Private Ryan and reused for BoB.

>>67855171

I'd prefer Korean war or WWII naval or air warfare over Vietnam. Vietnam war is pretty much self flagellation rite for hollywood. It's nearly impossible do really balanced movie or TV show about it. It ends up being everything is shit kind story with war crimes and shit or it just looks like alien to collective consciousness about war if it's neural or god forgive patriotic.
>>
>>67851450

without leckie and his pals it would have been even darker. although they could have left the australia parts out I suppose.
>>
>>67855339

You should give it another chance, Ross is only featured in the first episode with just an appearance or two afterwards. The first episode really is the weakest because it's just setting up the rest of the series.
>>
>>67855670
Undoubtedly I will cycle back to it again at some point. I've watched such a ridiculous volume of TV shows that there aren't many good series left for me to see for the first time. I rarely hear anything bad about BoB though. It's pretty much universally liked.
>>
>>67855803

It's historically inaccurate as hell, that can be considered a minus as it tries to sell itself as authentic historical account.
>>
>>67855927
How so? Genuinely curious what it presents as true that isn't.
>>
>>67856005

Portrayal of all their superiors pretty much slanderous, even when it doesn't sink into it as far as book it's based on.

Portrayal of battle of Nuenen in episode 4 has very little resemblance to what actually happened there according to US, German and British archive sources.

They weren't exactly first allied troops to arrive into Berchtesgaden.

It's based on book by "historian" who disregards all archive sources in favor of bunch of interviews 50 years after the war, mostly with guys who kinda circle jerked about issues... leading to massive bias.

Pic related was on fucking vacation according to Winters and all when shit hit the fan at Bastogne. In reality he was in conference about reorganizing entire US airborne forces at the time. Because he was incompetent shitbag he became chairman of joint chiefs of staff couple decades later.

One guy died shortly after war while in reality he died in 1967.
>>
>>67856504
That's interesting. I'll keep that in mind when I get to watching it.
>>
>>67843266
stopped at Episode like 3
its fucking shit
BoB is much better
>>
>>67842987
It's the same reason why everyone loves Band of Brothers and hates The Thin Red Line.

One used the spectacle of combat to touch the audience on an emotional level, the other piped in that stereotypical oscar bait liberal arts drama that has been over used in movies since the 50's in to make up for their lack of vision.
>>
>>67842987
Because filthy weebs don't like seeing their idols get turned into red goo
>>
>>67857966
>Band of Brothers

Saving Private Ryan.
>>
The Pacific tried to force complex relationships with people that had a low survival rate. Wanted to show the other sides of a soldiers life at war.

But we don't care about the soldier only the cause.
>>
>>67844623
>more gruesome deaths means it's better!

Found the teenager.
>>
>>67845529
The majority of Japan's army was stationed in China. Even if we were defeated at gaudicanal and midway we would have won Soley on manpower and resources, it would have just taken longer. Stop trying to pretend you know anything about history.
>>
BoB ending:
>playing baseball, chilling and relaxing in the sun

Pacific ending:
>soldiers go home severely traumatized, can't function in society for shit

Pacific had a more realistic feel to it for me
>>
>>67857807

Why didn't you stop watching BoB when Winters got his leave on Paris? That episode about 'straya is there for a reason. To make even more contrast to shit like Guadalcanal, Cape Cloucester and Peleliu. Same reason there is the Basilone episode later on.

The bread and butter of the Pacific is the contrast between battles and time between 'em. How fighting turns people into animals and problems that come with reintegrating into society. Episode 4 is about Cape Cloucester, 5th is about it's aftermath and prelude for Peleliu, 6th and 7th are about Peleliu, 8th is interlude with Basilone, 9th is about Okinawa and last one is about coming home.

BoB is like recruiting commercial and it's a stereotypical buddy story set in war.

Pacific is about personal horror of war, Basilone providing mostly patriotic hero story to break it.
>>
Parts of BoB were good, parts of The Pacific were good, especially the Eugene Sledge arc. The real question is why the Leckie and Basilone arcs were so fucking boring and devoid of any emotion or character development.

My personal favorites:
BoB Episodes 3, 6 (GOAT episode), 8
Pacific Episodes 5, 6, 7, 9 (basically any episode with Sledge and Snafu)
>>
>>67853206

Alright, if we're going to make bullshit comparisons how about episode 6

BoB
>Focuses on the medic who's a totally boring character
>Wastes time on a pointless love story with a Belgian nurse that goes nowhere and ends with her dying with no emotional impact
The Pacific
>Sledge, Leckie, and the other marines are forced to assault the airfield despite having limited cover and being low on drinking water
>Dozens of marines are killed fighting towards the airfield, Leckie is severely wounded while desperately trying to find a corpsman for his friend
>Later after the battle, Sledge has a deep conversation with his CO regarding the brutality of the war and how their belief in the righteousness of their cause may be the only thing driving them, captain proves that he's a true leader to his men.

See how retarded cherrypicking is?
>>
>>67858070

>But we don't care about the soldier only the cause.

this, most of them are dumb shits tricked to die for their jew masters. At least show some more of the badasses like Basilone etc.
>>
>>67858659
This. Honestly I think that last episode really nailed it on post-war and how different the European and Pacific theaters really were.

No reconciliation with the enemy, no happy relaxing scenes, and no everybody comes back from the war happy.

>I may have jumped into Normandy but at least I got liberties in London and Paris. You G.I.renes, got nothing but jungle rot and malaria.
>>
File: snafu.jpg (179 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
snafu.jpg
179 KB, 1024x576
>>67842987

SAY THAT TO MY FACE ON THE BATTLEFIELD NOT OVER THE WIRE JAP FUCKING SHIT AND WATCH HOW EVENTS UNFOLD
>>
>>67860122

Add to that insult the fact that the island 'muhreens assaulted was totally pointless. 3k 'muhreens got killed, 8k wounded and from 10k japs that defended it only 250 or so survived. Going with usual WWII recovery rates at least 5k marines died or became permanently crippled.

Whole operation was totally irrelevant. Shore bombardment destroyed that jap airbase and it was never used for anything after taken over. US Navy could have just bombarded shit out of airbase base and fucked off for couple months and then sent couple cruisers level it again to prevent repairing it. Rinse and repeat.

20k casualties for pretty much nothing.
>>
File: 1444450585452.jpg (101 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1444450585452.jpg
101 KB, 300x400
Sledge's arc was honestly the best thing from the Pacific and I liked it better than anything from BoB.
>>
File: 1414607256529.jpg (23 KB, 694x537) Image search: [Google]
1414607256529.jpg
23 KB, 694x537
>the australia shore leave episode
>entire episode nothing but relationship drama barely even related to the war
why just why
>>
>>67846429
was actually an apt comparison.
>>
>>67845416
Not like it's shown. Just like 90% of the shit that happened in The Wire.
>>
Do Pacific threads ever not devolve into Japanese apologism?
>>
>>67845537
Leckie?
Snafu?
John fucking basilone?
>>
>>67861694
where do you see any of that

in your dreams at night?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8U9NB0OIlk

women will never understand the pacific

there's a good chance they'd understand band of brothers tho, cause there wasn't much to it
>>
>>67861851
Those are some pretty wacky dreams
>>
>>67861870
the opposite, pacific is full of relationshit
>>
>>67845665

Leckie.
>>
>>67861962
>>67861514
>not understanding that whole shore leave episode is there for contrast
One day they're teens chasing girls and getting drunk, the other day they get forced through a meatgrinder to assault a beach head on under artillery and machine gun fire.
>>
>>67861870
amazing scene. The Pacific is atleast equal to Band of Brothers and they are both deserving of the highest acclaim
>>
So did Leckie actually get together with an aussie girl in real life or was she just made up for the show?
>>
>It's a sledge loses it episode
the best episodes
>>
>>67863286

Kinda sucks we never got to see any of Sledge's Okinawa shenanigans, there's a great part where the guys went out exploring without their weapons and a Zero spotted them, they could literally see the bastard smiling at them before he made to turn around and blitz them fortunately on its return a mustang was right behind him saving their bacon
>>
>>67860122
Except the Bastogne episode was the best in the whole series while the Melbourne was the worst in Pacific.
>>
File: 1453066097062.jpg (6 KB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
1453066097062.jpg
6 KB, 200x193
>>67863136
what you think?
>>
>>67863286
>We were all sent here to kill japs weren't we? So what the hell difference does it make what weapon we use!
>...
>I'll use my goddamn hands if I have to.
>>
My problem with the pacific was that I couldn't find any likeable characters, but in BoB there were plenty
>>
>>67864582
but The Pacific had Tim from Jurassic Park
>>
>>67864613
He was literally the worst character in JP
>>
>>67864728
I thought about it, and you're right, but that still makes Tim pretty awesome because every character in that movie is classic
>>
>>67862217
there is no contrast because there's a week long period before the next episode and even then it takes a bit to get going

that's the thing about the entire episode being nothing but relationshit
>>
>>67842987
I liked the Peleliu and Okinawa episodes. That's all I got.
>>
>>67845730
Nah
>>
>>67864582
Band of Brothers is a glorified TV show.

By that, I mean the characters by and large are consistent. Just like say in the big bang theory show or the simpsons. By and large the characters you met at the beginning hardly changed.

This is why you like them. Because they are the same every single episode for the most part they are drilled into your head as you watch and become familiar to you. Its why TV shows feel so much cheaper than stories because there is no meaningful progress.

In the Pacific characters start off one way and come out the other. The locations and people change as the show progresses and we see how they change as they go through different islands, countries and challenges only to go home completely different.

In my opinion (the only right one too) this is why the Pacific is so much better. Of course I like them both, but Band of Brothers seems pretty shallow and casual about everything because they rely on their characters strong and unchanging traits to carry the show. Just like 99% of TV shows designed to hook you in do.
>>
The John Basilone episode was the only time I cried during the whole of both series'.
>>
>>67855378
This
>>
>>67867399
John was too good for this world. Also love his death scene. This larger than life Captain America just up's and dies like the rest. Sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLyq6GfoCsk
>>
>>67867399
>>67868530

There's a lot of moments like that in Sledge's book, it's hard not to get choked up, especially when Sledge himself starts to wonder why he of all people got to live while they died.

His description of a nightmare he had is fucking chilling too.
>>
I didn't like the pacific because it was set in the pacific.

jungle rot and screaming Asians are only entertaining in an hour and half sitting while it ain't me plays in the background. The japs shenanigans get old after the first 3 minutes, in every fucking form of media.
>>
>>67868927
What is his book called?
>>
>>67870605

EB Sledge's With the Old Breed, there's also an audio book for long drives, just remember to drive slowly in later chapter because the feels are real.
>>
>mfw Generation Kill is miles ahead of either series with a message that went beyond "War is Hell" or "Muh band of brothers"

Far closer to reality as well.
>>
>>67849265
No, but I think I will now. I just finished reading Generation Kill last week too.
>>
>>67853206
>Cherrypicking
>>
The two series can't be compared, I think.

Band of Brothers is about what people fought in the war,

The Pacific is about what they went through.
>>
>>67858659
>That part where Eugene tries to go hunting with his dad after the war but gets PTSD.

Fuck
Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.