[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GIRLS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: GIRLS.jpg (94 KB, 578x442) Image search: [Google]
GIRLS.jpg
94 KB, 578x442
It's official.
>>
>bret easton ellis
friendly reminder he squeezed his influence on the prize board to deny david foster wallace a posthumous pultizer for The Pale King
>>
>>67838386
Good
>>
>>67838316
>Likes Shosh
Good taste
>>
>>67838386
what a dick

i thought maybe he was just lobbying for a friend, but they just didn't give a fucking award that year
>>
>guy who wrote one book 25 years ago
>which is only known for it's movie
why do i care what this guy thinks? Girls is shit, haven't seen any episodes, but I can tell by the number of tumblr gifs there are of the show
>>
>>67838386
Which is funny since Bret Easton Ellis has long held jealousy toward DFW for being the defining American author of their generation.

One time, DFW made a comment about how he thought Ellis's pessimism was destructive (if not repetitive of the French writers of the 1950s) toward American literature. It was an off-handed comment that BEE never forgave. He's spent his entire life shit-talking DFW, while DFW never really acknowledged him.

DFW is so far beyond BEE, it's not worth comparing the two
>>
>>67838316

There is no way anyone would really like this show. Whats his angle?
>>
>>67839109
he loves to be pegged, beta as he is
>>
>>67838386
>The Pale King

Is it any good?
>>
>>67839109
I actually like Girls
It's like going to the zoo for me
>>
>>67840430
Because there's so many elephants?
>>
>>67840349
If you like DFW and enjoy his rambling style then it's an okay swansong to a truly unique voice we lost too soon.

But, the book is a mess. Supposedly it was like 75 percent done. It feels more like a disorganized set of thoughts than an actual novel. Some of the passages are brilliant and insightful. There just doesn't seem to be any direction to any of it.
>>
>>67840661

never read DFW to be honest, what's his best book?
>>
>>67840469
ha, nice

it's because the characters' personalities are so different from people I've met in my life, I can't exactly connect with them so trying to figure them out is entertaining
>>
>>67840732
Infinite Jest is his best book. Go ask /lit/ about it if you want to know more.

However, it's fucking 1000+ pages long, so it's not the best place to start.

If you're actually interested, here's an article he wrote for Rolling Stone following 9/11. If you like what you read, he wrote a lot of short fiction and non-fiction that you can dig into before taking on IJ.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/9-11-the-view-from-the-midwest-20110819
>>
File: lena dunham.webm (2 MB, 1280x718) Image search: [Google]
lena dunham.webm
2 MB, 1280x718
Is it wrong I thought this was hot?
>>
>>67840895

Yes, you are mental illness.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.