[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worst Alfred to date? Why is he a sexy hipster now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9
File: WOR.jpg (156 KB, 1920x803) Image search: [Google]
WOR.jpg
156 KB, 1920x803
Worst Alfred to date?
Why is he a sexy hipster now?
>>
>>67826433
>hipster
He wears that shit because he's fucking old, not because he's a hipster
>>
>>67826433
hipsters are young people who dress like old people

alfred's just an old person
>>
>>67826549
>>67826465
>>67826433
>hipster literally is a meaningless word now

good
>>
“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own).

You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.
>>
>>67826433
Because all of Zack Snyders movies are a combination of worshipping the male form and its beauty and jarring religious allegory.
Alfred needed to be a hot older man
>>
File: tangerine-06.jpg (227 KB, 1600x1264) Image search: [Google]
tangerine-06.jpg
227 KB, 1600x1264
>>67826433
Did he tell any stories about Tangerines?
>>
>>67826433
>worst

he might be the best you pleb.
>>
>>67826433
He's a great Alfred actually.
I thought the movie was fucking garbage, but Alfred was really really good. Personality-wise he had it 100% exactly how I imagined it from the comics, and his voice is pretty good too, better than Michael Caine's out of place accent. I do wish he looked a little more like a butler though
>>
>>67826689
He is
>>
File: Alfred-Gotham1.jpg (53 KB, 721x960) Image search: [Google]
Alfred-Gotham1.jpg
53 KB, 721x960
>>67826433
>not a wall-eyed ex-SAS chav

How can other Alfreds even compete?
>>
>>67826433
>anon forgets to pretend he isn't a homo
>>
>>67826433
i actually liked him, i was skeptic but he was good.
maybe not as an alfred but as a character.
>>
>>67826665
A LAWNG TWAYM AHGO, AY WUZ EN BURMAH
>>
Worst by far. Unshaven, shitty clothes,impolite, doesn't serve. What kind of butler is he? Or are they lovers in Snyder's version?
>>
>>67826698
Same with Batfleck. Aside from the murder he's a 100% comics accurate Batman
>>
>>67826433
Well I didn't think he was bad but I do think Zack is a total pleb who OKed for every character to all dress super trendy.
>>
>>67826739
Apparently he's Wayne Security's head leader.

Fuck you Snyder. Give us a fucking butler.
>>
>>67826465
>>67826549
>>67826616
>>67826641
LOOK
AT
THE
DAMAGE
CONTROL
No but seriously, are you guys just reinventing the word to make your Alfred look good? He looks only 10 years older than Bruce for god's sake, how could Alfred even have been there for babby Bruce when he was a babby himself.
>>
>>67826710
>chav
Someone isn't from the UK and has no idea what the word 'chav' means

>>67826761
Yes, actually.. I feel like the reason Batman's stuff is so good is because Affleck personally got involved with it. I'm pretty sure 90% of the issues with the movie are because Snyder is a shitty director
>>
>>67826433
Irons > Gough > Caine
>>
I liked him and Irons' performance. One of the few things I really liked about the flick
>>
>>67826843
Someone hasn't watched Gotham.
>>
File: group_chavs.jpg (94 KB, 443x284) Image search: [Google]
group_chavs.jpg
94 KB, 443x284
>>67826885
I've seen Gotham. He isn't a 'chav'.
What do you think chav means?

These are chavs. iirc he's just doing a vague cockney accent
>>
Can anyone honestly imagine this guy serving as a butler? I don't think he even did anything butler-related in the movie
>>
>>67826830
Every character was written to infuriate the fanboy manchild masses that cry
>muh canon
>not my Superman

>Superman isn't your fucking power fantasy Gary Stu, he's an inspirational character
>Batman is so haunted by the past that he murders and is brutal
>Alfred isn't Bruce's butler, in one scene Bruce himself serves him a cup of coffee, he's not a servant to Bruce, and this speaks a ton about their relationship.
>Lex isn't on the peak of human condition, and contrasts physically with Supes and Bats
>Lois isn't just a lady in distress,
>I'm a lady, not a journalist
she's Superman's connection with Earth, they represent marriage of Earth-Sky

Why is the film doing this? What is it trying to tell me? These are all deliberate artistic choices, every detail in this movie has a reason to be there.
TL;DR-This isn't a mindless Marvel flick, and thought was put into this. If it's beyond your intellectual and emotional grasp I'm really sorry for you.
>>
>>67826984
I'm not talking about the accent, but about his awkwardness in formal situations, his natural connections with scum, and his general violent cageyness.
>>
File: 1457062565620.jpg (74 KB, 550x529) Image search: [Google]
1457062565620.jpg
74 KB, 550x529
>>67827062
>fuck the source material and FUCK YOU

great movie
>>
File: chavs.gif (50 KB, 312x200) Image search: [Google]
chavs.gif
50 KB, 312x200
>>67827072
Not every working-class person is automatically a chav. It's a mostly defunct word used to refer to a subsection of the working class that dressed and acted in a certain way. They were peculiar to the early to mid 2000s and mostly no longer exist
>>
>>67827196
>Says Flash is dead
>dies before Flash does
>>
>>67827471
Yes but I feel that's actually irrelevant here, because Gotham is a broad show. They were obviously going for "chav Alfred" instead of "posh Alfred", since those are the two main stereotypes Americans might think in terms of.

Also Gotham Alfred isn't just "working class", he's ex-scum, or implied to be. He knows his way around the underworld.

I was just being lighthearted m8.
>>
>>67827619
>They were obviously going for "chav Alfred"
No. They were going for a 'commoner' alfred. Stop saying chav like you know what that means, you're using it wrong. Chavs are a very specific type of person. This is like me calling a homeless person in new york 'trailer trash'.
>>
>>67827938
>Stop saying chav like you know what that means, you're using it wrong.
I really think you're being a bit autistic about this. It's a word with a hundred connotations, it's not a classified species.

Reminds me of back when everyone thought it was extremely important to know exactly what an "emo" is.

The key factor in "chav" is that they wear posh clothes but behave surprisingly lower-class. That's pretty much Alfred.

If the Real True Chavs are dead, as you claim, then the word is only going to survive through these vague connotations. Better get used to it.
>>
>>67827559

LOL
>>
>>67827938
>>67828086

>trying to explain the British class system to a yank
Just give up mate
>>
>>67827196
>the social commentary that these decisions hint at completely flew over my head
>the movie criticized my frame of mind, mob mentality, and cynicism, and predicted how I was going to react to it, and I didn't even notice
You have no idea how hilarious all this BvS affair has truly been.
>>
>>67828143
>>67828143
I'm not a yank m8, and honestly I do understand the impulse you have to assume that you are being misunderstood instead of glossed-over. But making that assumption every time will drive you nuts.
>>
>>67828183
TL;DR
Snyder's vision:
Superman shouldn't be pandering to entitled manchildren when they have become part of a decaying society, instead he should inspire people for something more.
>>
>>67826733
DE SOIZE OOV A TAANGERINE
>>
File: 2.jpg (59 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
59 KB, 720x540
>>67828086
>The key factor in "chav" is that they wear posh clothes but behave surprisingly lower-class
Holy fucking shit, no it isn't. I'm being autistic about it, but that is literally not at all what a chav is. It hasn't got a 'vague connotation'. Chavs are DEFINITELY not the kind of people to wear posh clothes. The chav stereotype is the kind of people that wear tracksuits and have their greasy hair tied into ponytails. See pic related as well as these:
>>67827471
>>67826984
>>
>>67828143
I don't get what he's misunderstanding desu
>>
>>67826433
He looks like an older Robert Downey Jr
>>
>>67828290
>Chavs are DEFINITELY not the kind of people to wear posh clothes. The chav stereotype is the kind of people that wear tracksuits
It's probably hard to remember now since tracksuits are considered tacky, but the original interesting thing about chavs was that designer tracksuits, etc. are expensive.
>>
>>67828533
Regardless, tracksuits are not 'posh' and Alfred in Gotham doesn't wear designer tracksuits anyway. He wears a suit with a tie and a long coat.
Chavs are the people who live on shady estates in east London near a KFC
>>
>>67828290

Chavs don't even exist anymore. Everyone else began understanding and using the word around the time where their type just vanished.

Not saying we won't always have scum, but CHAVS as an actual culture have been deadzo since about 2008.
>>
>>67828627
>Everyone else began understanding and using the word around the time where their type just vanished.
Maybe in America

>Not saying we won't always have scum, but CHAVS as an actual culture have been deadzo since about 2008
True. Still doesn't make Alfred in Gotham a chav. 'Hippies' aren't around anymore, really. that doesn't make everyone who smokes weed a hippie.
>>
>>67828624
>Regardless, tracksuits are not 'posh' and Alfred in Gotham doesn't wear designer tracksuits anyway. He wears a suit with a tie and a long coat.
Yes, I know! It was a facetious connection based on the idea of "actually a surprisingly hard fucker".

My original post was very lightheated and 4channy
>>67826710
Not really worth this discussion, but it has been interesting.
>>
>>67826433
When are we getting a black Alfred?
>>
>>67828691
>Yes, I know! It was a facetious connection based on the idea of "actually a surprisingly hard fucker".
I know I'm being autistic and I'm commited to it at this point.
That isn't the definition of chav. There are other words to say what you meant to say
>>
>>67828533
Yeah the Burberry cap was the best example. But that's absolutely not comparable to Alfred's suit.

The suit isn't posh or show-offish, butlers wore specific suits because it was expected of them and it denoted their role in the household.

Chavs wore random expensive items out of context for the sole purpose of showing off, like bling chains.

To be honest the whole discussion is pointless because Alfred is an old-fashioned English butler in an American household, in a fictional story written by Americans. Any social realism and subtle social indicators specific to England are thrown out the window
>>
The word Hipster has lost all meaning by now.
>>
>>67828740
No, I said what I meant to say. I was just playing with half-informed archetypes, which the creators of the show are obviously doing.

I mean Alfred is a butler who constantly calls his young ward "m8". Pretty clear that Gotham is set in a world where British people act as Americans think they ought to. And I think that's fun. That's the spirit I was trying to capture.

By explaining myself this much I guess I'm autistic, too.
>>
>>67829072
But that isn't a chav. Acting like that isn't a chav thing.
He fits a lot of archetypes of 'cockney' people. Is that what you mean? He's acting in a generic cockney way that muricans would imagine british people are 'supposed' to. It isn't a chav thing
>>
>>67826998
Give him a tea service and watch him throw it down the stairs. He wouldn't even clean it up.
>>
>>67828702
Only if he is referred to as Black Alfred.
>>
>>67827471
>and mostly no longer exist
thank fucking god
>>
>>67826433
One of the best, he's a true butler and does other shit besides just cooking and cleaning.
>>
>>67828624
>shady estates
On behalf of my retarded brethren, allow me to explain that 'estates' (e.g. council estates) in the UK are what we refer to as 'projects' here in Burgerland because we still associate 'estates' with stately Wayne Manor.
>>
File: 2946273-dd.jpg (39 KB, 640x354) Image search: [Google]
2946273-dd.jpg
39 KB, 640x354
So, I guess it's rather enlightening to know that people still find Jeremy Irons sexy.
>>
>>67826761
Bat man did murder in the comics for a little while. Only after the joker killed robin.

Its still shit though because the only way you could know batman was in murder mode is by seeing the super suit and knowing from the comics that he built it after robins death
>>
>sexy hipster
>Dressing well is now considered being a hipster
>>
>>67828702
hopefully fucking never
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.