[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /tv/ opinion about this film? I liked it, quite a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: hail-caesar-quad.jpg (157 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
hail-caesar-quad.jpg
157 KB, 1280x960
What's /tv/ opinion about this film? I liked it, quite a lot actually.
And on a side note, it is perhaps the most politically incorrect movie of the year, although in a very subtle way.
>>
Obviously, it wasn't Fargo tier, but I enjoyed it.
Also those commies
>>
>>67824187

It was alright.

Not the Cohen Brothers strongest film, but I enjoyed watching it.
>>
an absolute disaster
>>
>>67824187
>most politically incorrect movie of the year
I havent seen it yet but why is it politically incorrect? A reviewer also called the Coens crypto-fascists which I found odd.
>>
>>67824187
nice visuals (that commie beach hideout) but the plot was nonexistant. the stuff with the dumb cowboy actor went on and on.
but they did a good job of making a period movie.
Jonah Hill was in the movie for about 78 seconds.
>>
>>67825263
I saw it just after "Triple 9" and I was like: dude, what's going on in Hollywood?
>>
>>67824187
Surprise this was panned at release. I thought it was great.
>>
>>67825263
Well, the Rabbi is presented as an obnoxious asshole, the writers/communists are just a bunch of greedy sycophants and the closeted gay is a traitor. They even make fan of Marcuse its not South Park/Family Guy un-pc, but still...
I don't know if the Coens are fascists but they certainly aren't the tipica modern liberals.
>>
>>67825595
>the Rabbi is presented as an obnoxious asshole
All religious leaders are portrayed as idiots in Coen flicks
>>
>>67824187
I love pastiche and this is what Hail Caesar is.

There is a deeper meaning about the benefits serving something greater than one's self-- but its honesty about Communists in Hollywood is very admirable.

Subway man was only in it for one scene tho-- why is he on the fucking poster.
>>
>>67825924
What about the priest in Hail Caesar?
>>
>>67826091
The priest who was clearly annoyed that Eddie kept coming in for confession and didn't offer him any advice?
>>
>>67826113
How does that make him an idiot?
>>
>>67826160
OK maybe not an idiot but not a helpful person either, which is contrary to what a man of the cloth should be.
>>
>>67826200
Fair enough.
>>
>>67826200
Those scenes speaks more about Mannix insecurities and self doubt than the priest being useless
>>
>>67824187
I felt there was no real point to it. Nothing was really accomplished. The mc's big dilemma never felt like one and we didn't really get to see what was it about his job that made him hate it sometimes or that made him ultimately love it too much to let it go. The whole "forgive me father for I have sinned, it's been 5 minutes since my last confession" schtick didn't convince me either that the lead was a bad guy who was trying to do good or that he was a good guy that was hounded by bitch-slapping an actor every now and then. I reckon that's my biggest problem with it, the lack of realization of the main guy's wants/needs/passions. He didn't have a clear goal and some clear hurdles and the film suffered for it. From a plot perspective it seemed more like a "day in the life" type of documentary than a feature.

The whole thing just felt like an excuse to work with actors A, B & C and to do a couple of scenes they wouldn't be able to do otherwise, like the dance routines.

My other problem is about its intent. It's clearly too tongue-in-cheek to be a serious drama, so what is it? A comedy? If so, where are the laughs? Most of the supposed comedy bits are either "oh, that's clever" or merely chuckleworthy at best.

It felt ropey. A bunch of cool actors but most are playing characters that are underdeveloped and don't have enough screentime.

I still enjoyed it but it's not one of the Coens' best.
>>
>>67826304
Well the theme of the movie is that motion pictures have replaced religion and Mannix is trying to make sense of this new world that he later finds out is actually a godless communist conspiracy filled with morons like Baird. This, along with the usual Coen existentialist preoccupation with the individual finding or trying to find meaning on his own when faced with absurd situations, doesn't exactly paint a positive picture for established institutions, whether religious or cinematic.
>>
I honestly that parts of it were hilarious
The bit where Brolin is asking the priests and the rabbi about the Trinity really had me laughing
>>
>>67824187
Channing was shit, but the rest of the cast, particularly Johannson, was great.
>>
>>67826546
i need to watch this a few more times

there's some meaning I have to tease out

the Swimming (with a giant whale and sunken treasure) is mirrored in the Soviet sub scene.

The Roman movie elements also reflect the communist's description about the Future (where Rome==America of the 50s).

Really liked it.
>>
>johanson's side plot about getting pregnant then adopting her own child ultimately was irrelevant to the film
>>
>>67827066
>I've never seen a Coen Bros. movie before
>>
>>67825212

THIS.

It was a train wreck.

It was like a 1950s version of SNL. A bunch of "bits" without a real story to hold it all together. It was a mess.
>>
>tfw u will never be a communist screenwriter talking about dialectics in that comfy house.
>>
>>67824187
Comfy and funny but with no real sense of urgency and underdeveloped characters. Maybe their weakest effort in many years-I'd say it's Ladykillers tier (although I loved The Ladykillers)
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.