[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
...is Wes Anderson an aspie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 280x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 280x420
...is Wes Anderson an aspie?
>>
He a quirkie.
>>
File: 1395473748751.png (51 KB, 876x773) Image search: [Google]
1395473748751.png
51 KB, 876x773
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8dWtK4H7cE
>>
No he's an aesthete

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-grand-budapest-hotel-wes-andersons-artistic-manifesto
>>
File: muh tears.png (23 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
muh tears.png
23 KB, 800x800
>>67820227
>tfw want to film a recreation of this scene but actually kill myself
>can't bring myself to do it
>>
File: danger tenenbaums.jpg (545 KB, 702x1350) Image search: [Google]
danger tenenbaums.jpg
545 KB, 702x1350
>>67820477
Welcome to the club bro.

Have you seen Malle's The Fire Within, which the Tenenbaums scene references? It's essential suicidaldepressioncore along with Kiarostami's a Taste of Cherry.
>>
Is Wes redpilled? He makes fun of cucks a lot
>>
>>67820625
Was aware of the film but never got around to watching it, basically because it sounds exactly like you describe. Looks like like I should get around to it now
>>
http://fusion.net/story/154639/why-whoopi-goldberg-calling-out-wes-anderson-about-race-isnt-a-joke/
>>
he definitely hates his dad
>>
>>67820695
He's purple-pilled
>>
>>67820695
>>67821583
>>67821583
A nazi is unabashedly the savior of the main characters in the budapest hotel, and the commies are the ones who kill the protagonist.

Straight up nazi sympathizer.
>>
>>67821184
I wrote a midterm paper on why Wes Anderson is exempt from racial criticism last semester, no joke
>>
>>67822710
Why is he exempt?
>>
>>67822762
because all of his films are critiques of the patriarch and critiques of the privileged psyche

bottle rocket is about a dude who goes insane from a life of surfing and luxury

bill murray in both life aquatic and rushmore is insecure, petty, and rude; both characters are also rich white men losing their power in life. Life Aquatic even ends with him recognizing his wife as the reason for his success and an apology to Cate Blanchett about his inadequacies and behavior

Royal Tenenbaums explains itself. It's a rich family with rich, talented, and overly privileged kids all whom suffer from daddy issues. Royal Tenenbaum himself is probably the most classic pig disgusting white male out of all of Anderson's characters. The film is amazing though how it uses these character extremes to focus on the heart issues of the characters that anybody could relate to. Anderson's best use of irony, best use of humor, best characters, best relationships, etc. It's a 5/5 for me.

cont.
>>
>>67822979
Basically its okay because he is a white uncle tom?

I think his romanticized portrayals of idyllic western society are less subversive than you think. He genuinely longs for a haute vulture.
>>
>>67822979
Apart from the commentary of Brotherhood, Darjeeling Limited is about the audacity of westerners gawking at the "exotic other," subjecting an actual culture with independent history and significance to just an aesthetic, just a tool for their own imaginary spiritual walk. The scene where they first arrive at the bazaar is Anderson's most obvious satire yet

Moonrise Kingdom probably is the only one I can think of that is just white people problems: the movie without any commentary or criticism on the matter

Fantastic Mr Fox is about british animals. race is excluded.

lastly Grand Budapest Hotel even stars a non-white character for the first time and openly mocks the notion of noble western superiority by his relationship with Gustave

>>67823072
the idea is that the thesis behind privilege is that those who have it are blind to it; Anderson is not. He writes stories about white society and the patriarchy intentionally to criticize it. There is nothing wrong with that and nothing ignorant about that.

the problem is that he made the same movie too many times; from Bottle Rocket to Darjeeling all of his films had so many similar shots, similar characters, similar themes, and copy and pasted cinematic devices that everything about them became stale; even his presentation of white america.
>>
>>67823262
You are wrong man, he thinks that the virtues of western aristocracy were worth preserving, and their foibles only make them more endearing as characters. His last two movies are a hagiography of the young male adventurer.

If anything he is exempt from racial criticism because it would be reductionist and lack historicity.
>>
>>67823262
>>67822979

Quit being a faggot and say nigger you dumbcunt.
>>
>>67821184
>washed up actress on a talk show begging for work
>carefully satire of white America
>>
>>67823262
>>67822979
...he's self aware, not subversive. Wes genuinely holds an appreciation and romanticized outlook of posh upper class vintage Upper East Coast America / England. He's not criticizing anything.

He's a Houstonite, and when he grew up there in the 60's and 70's it was full of rich dandies and artists. He even dresses like that. Although I suppose you have a point there on the patriarchal mocking, since female characters tend to be the more sane ones in his films.
>>
>>67823411
making, almost exclusively, films that criticize white privilege and male power is what does that. I'm sorry if you can't see that. All of his films featuring rich white people focus on the problems that develop from being rich white people. All of his films featuring white male patriarchs focus on their downfall, their inadequacies, and them learning about their mistakes from assuming they were ever in control. And Darjeeling, to top it off, blasts the west for being ignorant of eastern culture. its hilariously obvious

that isnt mutually exclusive from him being a classicistboo though; he can still anguish from the fall of culture and at the same time critique common elements of it
>>
>>67823585
You glaze over moonrise kingdom precisely because it does not adhere to your critical theory 101 imposed logic. Its also his most beautiful film.

Sad!
>>
>>67823439
Stfu louie cuck
>>
>>67823585
But they don't have their problems because they are rich and white. I don't see how heartbreak, familial tension, loneliness, unrequited love, etc is limited to rich white men. It's just the aesthetic he digs.

Your analysis is really only looking at the eye candy of his films and not the writing or emotion. I'm pretty sure Wes isn't a leftie, anyway.
>>
>>67823778
>they don't have their problems because they are rich and white
in Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, Life Aquatic they do.

>>67823653
I didn't glaze over it; I specifically mentioned it's the only film he's made about white culture without any subversion done here>>67823262

overall I'm not saying that Wes is this out-to-get the whitey type person but he doesn't just make white movies for white people and ignore the whiteness. The movies are about it in many, many cases. Even in the movies where it's mostly an aesthetic used for irony, like in Darjeeling or Tenenbaums, there are moments of criticism about either the patriarch or subjectifying "other" cultures for personal benefit
>>
>>67823960
Yes your hand waving about moonrise kingdom is precisely where I see you glazing over an inconvenient contradiction of your general theory.
>>
>>67824092
im sorry? I dont see how him making one film that differs thematically from his prior filmography does anything to retroactively change the content of those films

moonrise kingdom was great because it was a refreshing change of pace from his other movies. the focus on childhood and the kid actors made it that way. its more about glorifying childish innocence than anything else. There isnt room to appropriately critique anything regarding race or class in that movie. and like I said, he had become a bore by the time Darjeeling was made and he had to change it up which is why its amazing that Fantastic Mr Fox, Moonrise, and Grand Budapest are all so independent from eachother and Anderson's other films
>>
>>67824229
Its glorifying a certain kind of romantic childhood, with a young paramour.

If there is a criticism of the american idle class in his films, they are inwardly gazing, not meant to be a showcase for frameworks imposed externally by children indoctrinated with the collegiate jew.
>>
>>67824229
Moonrise Kingdom is literally his whitest movie, both in terms of aesthetic and actors used
>>
>>67824229
>There isnt room to appropriately critique anything regarding race or class in that movie.
Except one kid was an orphan and one was the child of two lawyers who were most likely well off financially. You could argue that the point of the film was that people from rich and poor backgrounds still feel the same desire to escape.

While I don't completely disagree with anything you've said, I think you're mistake is thinking your own interpretation as fact. Nothing you've said has evidence to say it was Wes Anderson's intention.

It's just as likely that Wes makes films that interest him at that time and does them all in a consistent style without any deeper meaning. He makes quirky, fantastical films and that's it. Your Life Aquatic argument is poor. What about that says that it was all rich white people problems to you? It's more like his take on Moby Dick if anything. Race, Class etc plays no part in it, just the story of one man's obsession told in his usual style.
>>
>>67820227
>cutting your wrists
literally no man has ever killed himself like this.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.