[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was anyone else completely lost/confused during this movie? People
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 3463677.jpg (100 KB, 488x720) Image search: [Google]
3463677.jpg
100 KB, 488x720
Was anyone else completely lost/confused during this movie? People say the prequels were confusing but I understood it fine, but here I had no idea what was going on

What's the resistance? Where's the republic? What's that planet they blew up? what's the first order? what's this yellow alien who's right near the planet that got blown up?
>>
>>67818491

> I didnt read the introduction text coz it moves too fast for me
>>
>>67818491
get off your phone and actually watch the movie next time. Everything you NEED to know is explained.

and no one says the prequels were confusing, they say they're stupid
>>
>>67818566
The introduction didn't explain any of this
>>
>>67818491
this is bait
>>
>>67818491
Kill yourself
>>
It's a fair point actually.
There's very clearly a gap between what happened in 6 versus what's going on in TFA. They're even making movies to fill that gap. It's not being ignored.

All the same, the Rebel Alliance becoming the Resistance was odd. What purpose exactly did this name change serve? The First Order makes some sense as they were apparently separate from the Empire in some regard, or at least, the Empire may be crumbling and the First Order has picked up some of the slack.
Either way there's still that definite question of what exactly the Alliance was doing following the second deathstar. They weren't reliant on Luke for their victories, so him disappearing shouldn't matter.
>>
>>67818700
When is any of what I brought up answered in the movie? Specific points plz
>>
>>67819047
>Rebel Alliance becoming the Resistance

The allience didn`t become the resistence.
what hapened was more like:
>rebels win the war
>republic is created from the alliance
>the republe has no army due to prevent a uprising
>a group of simpatizers of the empire aka first order start to gain power and threat the republic
>the republic finances a private army against the first order aka resistence (similar to what the us made with the afeganistan)
>the first order make a massive weapon and destroys the republic core planets
>the resistence loses their resources

basicaly this.

what i think is gonna hapen next?
after defeating the first order the resistence is going al quaeda on the new government,

sorry for my homeless english and stuff.
>>
I was confused by how bad it was
>>
>>67819072
>Opening crawl
>The sinister FIRST ORDER rose from the ashes of the fallen Empire
>The RESISTANCE, with the Support of the REPUBLIC

This establishes that the First Order is the successor state to the Empire. The Resistance is supported by the Republic, but not officially a part of it.

>Hux's speech
>The New Republic lies to the galaxy while secretly supporting the treachery of the Loathsome Resistance!
>This insinuates the Republic is secretly supporting to the Resistance financially while lying to the galaxy that they are neutral

I'm sorry you were raised on the phantom menace and thought politics and droning exposition were representative of Star Wars
>>
The way I see it the rebels may have been able to kill the Empire's leadership in Episode 6, but a lot of remnants of the Empire remained in a position of power after. Immediately the Republic took control of the Empire and just called it "The Republic", but they remained inefficient and only held symbolic power. They weren't able to stabilize the galaxy. Then this group pops up called the First Order, which are just Empire loyalists to stir shit up, the Republic is too incompetent, and a resistance movement pops up to counter the rise of Empire loyalists.
>>
Are you an idiot?
>>
>>67819856
This doesn't work for a few reasons.
Basic statebuilding and military theory indicates that any army capable of defeating a force superior in materiel is an army that possesses superior use of limited resources.
Prussia is the natural example of this. Where neighboring germanic states squandered their resources on fanciful estates and the like, Prussia dedicated itself to the development of the strongest military possible. Military strength is directly tied to the ability to train and equip soldiers. For a nation with limited resources, this means having a bureaucracy so efficient that the moment resources are generated someone knows exactly who needs them. This was the case during the American revolution, where the largely decentralized colonies were still able to press the required resources to the places they were needed.
For the Rebellion to somehow lose this efficiency with the creation of the Republic is a strange thought. This would be akin to the US losing an effective army after the revolution ended, yet this was not the case as they were able to resist two superpowers of Europe some 20 years later in 1812.
There is then the question of where the First Order was able to acquire the resources to produce their new super weapon, new star destroyers, new TIE fighters, new walkers, new weapons, new armor, etc., while the Republic was not. The best assumption is that the First Order possesses superior manufacturing capabilities, as was common during communist uprisings. Even then, those revolutions worked more because of the efficient use of resources of those rebels when compared to the governments they were over-throwing. Nicholas II of Russia had not been taught statecraft or politics by his father. The president of Cuba was a corporate slave. Etc.
These inconsistencies imply the First Order was not a rebellion against the Republic, but rather, a remnant of the Empire that the Republic had not defeated.

cont.
>>
>>67819856
I'm not sure what you mean by the Republic financing a private army against the first order.
By "private" I assume you don't mean a standard army raised through conscription as was common during the early modern era. Nor do you seem to be talking about a mercenary army, as you cite the US in afghanistan, which uses a volunteer army.
In either case, mercenary armies were actually quite common and very effective, as the Prussians at times at up to 90% of their army composed of mercenaries, as well as the Dutch and Swedes who made great use of mercenaries in their national armies. Especially in the case of the Prussians, the mercenaries (here taken to mean foreign soldiers) were effectively nationalized by being inducted and endoctrinated into the methods of the Prussian army. These were not separate bands of soldiers as the German and Swiss mercenaries often were. The line between Prussian national soldier and Prussian mercenary was determined entirely by location of birth.

I'm more curious what you mean about the US doing in Afghanistan. It doesn't seem you're referring to their volunteer army, nor to the coalition forces. What exactly do you mean to say?
>>
>>67818491
Watch the first 6 episodes millenial scum.
>>
>>67821098
>>67821326
>>
>>67818491
are you a retard?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.