[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A (good) movie that shows the soviet union in a positive light
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9
File: 0000000245.jpg (260 KB, 1920x1079) Image search: [Google]
0000000245.jpg
260 KB, 1920x1079
Something like Saving Private Ryan but from the Soviet's side. It can be a foreign film, but I'd prefer if it be of quality sound, picture, and something where I don't have to read subtitles...

However, if it's amazing I'm totally cool with subtitles.

I just want to finally see a film that gives credit to the Soviet Union for their participation in the war, and how they significantly helped turn the tide in winning the war against nazi Germany.
>>
Enemy at the Gates
>>
>>67815291
Any movie during USSR there is also there is one amazing propaganda series about a detective and his work in KGB.
Just google
>>
>>67815309

Definitely. I should have mentioned that I already saw the movie, but that's definitely a start. Could you, or anyone recommend anything else?
>>
>>67815352
I'm sorry, what?
>>
>>67815479
he means many in ussr post war
>>
>>67815375
9th Company is the only other one that I can think of but it's set during the Russian/Afghan conflict. Fucking great film, pisses all over Enemy at the Gates (although the opening Stalingrad scene was cash)
>>
How about Fortress of War? It's about Brest Fortress.
>>
>>67815291
Something like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Glory_%281944_film%29

I don't know if it's good but it was made during that interesting period where Americans really loved the Soviets. I mean their government wanted Hollywood to make some pro-Soviet propaganda. Just a few years after the USSR together with Germany attacked their neighbors and before the Cold War.
This is all pretty fucked up.
>>
>>67815291
The Soviet Union was protecting it's own interest, they were literally allied to Nazi Germany and got backstabbed. Not many Western films will portray them in a good light.
>>
>>67815652
pretty good.
>>
>>67815729
Well it depends if they want Russians to like the or not. Of course the truth that the Soviets were Hitler's ally, commited the same kind of crimes even after changing the side is difficult to swallow too because they were allied with them themselves and fucked over half of Europe. Could be a cool HBO drama about WWII behind the scenes.
>>
File: th.jpg (22 KB, 300x429) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
22 KB, 300x429
>>67815309
The Beast
>>
>>67816307
This isnt what you were looking for sorry.
>>
>>67815729
>they were literally allied to Nazi Germany and got backstabbed
Molotov-Ribbentrop pact was literally a non-aggression treaty. The Sovs were never a member state of the Axis. Of all the European countries who made pacts with Hitler (basically all of them), the USSR was the last.

Both the Nazis and Sovs new one was going to attack the other eventually and they both needed time to build up their military and industrial capacity. It's very likely the non-aggression treaty won us the war.
>>
>>67815309
It's pretty good but the generals in that kinda come across as power hungry dicks rather than military minded leaders doing what was necessary.
>>
All of their own but since russians can't into movies they're all shit.

Any unbiased movie will show them for the monsters they were.
>>
>>67816430
Besides the usual joint parades, happy photos and fraternization there were trade agreements, important especially for Germans so Soviets were important for the German war machine. And battles like this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lw%C3%B3w_%281939%29

Their cooperation was pretty close. Much closer than people believe. I mean people in the West because it's not like the sources weren't available before.
>>
>>67816482
Shame they didn't show Zhukov shooting an officer because he couldn't lead his division through the mud fast enough like in real life.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 414x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 414x360
>>67815291
https://youtu.be/Geu0R4xGAi4
>>
>>67816665
>Besides the usual joint parades
one

>happy photos and fraternization
Literally just window dressing. There photos of shit loads of U.S businessmen, officials and European presidents taking photos with Hitler.

>there were trade agreements
This was part of the agreement. The trade deals helped spur the rapid industrialisation needed to eventually fight the Nazis. No shit the Germans were going to ask for some in return.

>Battle of LW
Thank God the Soviets were involved. Otherwise that city might have become Nazi occupied.

>>67816768
Source?
>>
>>67816846
>"Unfortunately, German ammunition has been found in the graves at Katyn … It is essential that this incident remains top secret. If it were to come to the knowledge of the enemy the whole Katyn affair would have to be dropped." - Goebbels (dated May 8th, 1943)

>"We are now using the discovery of 12,000 Polish officers, murdered by the GPU, for anti-Bolshevik propaganda on a grand style. We sent neutral journalists and Polish intellectuals to the spot where they were found. Their reports now reaching us from ahead are gruesome. The Führer has also given permission for us to hand out a drastic news item to the German press. I gave instructions to make the widest possible use of the propaganda material. We shall be able to live on it for a couple of weeks" - Goebbels, 1943
>>
>>67815729
Not like they had much of a choice though.
>>
>>67816966
This. Stalin had a million troops ready to invade Germany in 1939. UK and France declined as they were hoping that the Nazis would invade and destroy the USSR first.
>>
>>67816999
And it's easy to forget that the UK and France had tried to kill off the Soviet Union within living memory.
>>
>>67816857
Not a big difference Nazi or Soviet occupation. Funny thing that the Soviets continued the slaughter of Polish soldiers or independence activists or just whoever after joining western Allies and even after the end of WWII.

Good introduction about the subject of both occupation is a book by David Williamson Poland Betrayed (a misleading title). I don't know about other countries but of course the situation was different in every country.

The Zhukov anecdote is pretty well-known. Though I don't know why it matters if his list of crimes is pretty long anyway. Even if the political officer reporting it did it during the time when Zhukov was out of Krushchev's favor there's still enough dirt on him and his strategies. This includes his career after the war (the nuclear program).
>>
>>67817182
Yes. Supporting the white army and Tsarist loyalists.

If France and other countries in Europe had had a couple purges of the fascist 5th columns within the elites like the USSR did, the Nazis wouldn't have got as far as the Ruhr.
>>
>>67817182
Well they were perfectly happy to let the destroy neighboring countries in 1919/20. At least Lloyd George was. Clemenceau knew the truth.
>>
>>67817289
>Not a big difference Nazi or Soviet occupation.
For Jews, ethnic minorities and peasants, yes there was. Sucks if you're a fascist officer or a noble but...forgive me for not weeping over them too much.

1. The Sovs only took parts of Poland lost during the Polish-Soviet war.

2. The Soviet occupation of Poland was a safe haven for refugees fleeing from Nazi genocide and mass murder.

>The Zhukov anecdote is pretty well-known
Should be easy to find a source then? I can't find it.
>>
>>67815291
Joseph pls go
>>
>>67817348
What countries were the USSR destroying in 1919-20? In fact they let Russian imperial captured territory become independent states or even leave the Union entirely (outer Mongolia for example).
>>
>>67816307

>in a positive light
>during WW2
>>
File: sophie-scholl-the-final-days.jpg (254 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sophie-scholl-the-final-days.jpg
254 KB, 1280x720
>>67815291
Sophie Scholl
not about stalingrad, but its in the german's POV

great movie about the propaganda that was happening in berlin during the war
>>
>>67817462
White Rose are legends desu.
>>
>>67815291
>A (good) movie that shows the soviet union in a positive light during WWII

> just want to finally see a film that gives credit to the Soviet Union for their participation in the war

The Soviets let their dirty slav blood take over the minute they set foot in Berlin. They started murdering the men and raping the women. I can't imagine that being a really good basis for a movie, unless it was like a gorefest with high impact sexual violence type movie.
>>
>>67817393
soviets murdered 7,5 million ukranian peasants in one winter. and that was before the war. the body count of soviet regime is massive. and it wasnt all aristocrats or fascists, the middle class took the biggest hit.
>>
>>67817536
>raping the women
They were literally all punished for this. it was never a Soviet directive to rape people.
>>
>>67817536
>The Soviets let their dirty slav blood take over the minute they set foot in Berlin. They started murdering the men and raping the women.
does that mean that dirty slav blood has been seething in the veins of the german forces since 1941?
>>
>>67817665
>soviets murdered 7,5 million ukranian peasants in one winter

>"The commission majority was unable to affirm the existence of a preconceived plan to organize a famine in Ukraine, in order to ensure the success of Moscow’s policy. However, the commission majority did conclude that Soviet authorities, without actively wanting the famine, most likely took advantage of it to force peasants to accept policies they strongly opposed."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Commission_of_Inquiry_Into_the_1932%E2%80%9333_Famine_in_Ukraine

Even if the "Holodomor" was true it has no baring of their actions in Poland or anywhere else during WW2.
>>
>>67817393
Well then why didn't they take Warsaw since they lost it too during the Polish-Soviet War? Is it because after 1918 lots of new countries regained their independence? What could it be?

You think the Soviets were guided by the sense of justice? It was all part of a deal. Hitler and Stalin divided Europe and whatever they got they got. And both sides were equally brutal (well everyone says Soviets were worse but I don't want to judge evil like that). Not that it was happening only during the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Operation_of_the_NKVD_%281937%E2%80%9338%29

One example. There were many more. Before WWII, during WWII, and after WWII.
Poles, Belarusians, Ukrainians. Members of the opposition, local communist activists (yep), soldiers, anyone who could be useful to the independence movement and just simply normal people from all classes and social standings. What happened during the second Soviet invasion (Bagration) was also horrible.

Aaah shit. Whatever. Of course it's ridiculous that I even need to post such basic stuff but maybe it's worth it at least other people who want to know more about history.

Another good book. Bloodlands. About the whole are between Germany and USSR.
>>
>>67817830
It's really sad that this is all new to some people. Maybe it's because it's 4chan and some people can be extreme here.
>>
>>67817665
>murdered 7,5 million ukranian peasants
>famine
>murder
ok, buddy
>>
>>67817830
>Is it because after 1918 lots of new countries regained their independence? What could it be?
The USSR didn't want to maintain the Tsarist empire and preferred a union of republics (hence the name).

>>67817830
Nazis weren't going to give up the capital senpai.

>You think the Soviets were guided by the sense of justice?
I don't think i'd go that far. Idk if there's such thing as "justice" nor if it really matters. I think the interests of the USSR aligned more often than not with the interests of the global working class as a whole.

>>67817830
>Hitler and Stalin divided Europe and whatever they got they got
The Soviets literally only took half of Poland in 1939 and only advanced into the rest of Europe while fighting the Nazis
>>
File: porky.png (8 KB, 221x228) Image search: [Google]
porky.png
8 KB, 221x228
>>67817958
>"N-no you see. Stalin personally sowed the seeds with salt to kill gobzillian Ukrainian peasants. It's all true and totally not Cold-War Ukrainian nationalist propaganda at all!"
>>
>>67818044
Another good book for people new to the subject is The Devils' Alliance. Includes lots of information about the economical side of WWII.
>>
>>67818203
>The Devils' Alliance
Haven't read but I know it has been criticised for unfairly portraying "Soviet crimes" in comparison to crimes of the Nazis.

Soviet/Nazi comparisons is fascist apologism as far as i'm concerned.
>>
>>67818315
>Soviet/Nazi comparisons is fascist apologism as far as i'm concerned.
Good thing retards like you are not the majority.
>>
>>67818315
Just like one author was criticized for writing a pro-Polish book. Meaning he wrote a book about non-Jewish Polish victims and nobody wanted to invite him anywhere any more. Depends who writes the reviews.

Soviets and Nazis were equally bad. If the stories are true, the statistics etc. it's all about people not some sick wager. But Bloodlands is better whe one wants to read about statistics and victims. Even if someone has time to read the introduction that's fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Bloodlands-Europe-Between-Hitler-Stalin/dp/0465031471#reader_0465031471
>>
>>67818466
Yeah it's like totally coincidence that the West actively tries to compare the two even though it was the West who continued doing business with and praising the Nazis while trying the damnest to destroy the USSR :) :) :) :)

>>67818502
Which author was that? There have been pro-Nazi books become best-sellers in Poland so it wouldn't surprise me if this guy was also trying to sympathise with fascist "victims".

>>67818502
>If the stories are true
Depends what stories you're specifically talking about. The Katyn incident is blown out of proportion by Nazi propagandists and peddled throughout the Cold War and today by the West. Even then it's minuscule compared to crime of the Nazis. Let's just thrown in a similarly named one for poetic effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khatyn_massacre
>>
>>67818502
If "the statistics" you're talking about in referend to the Soviets were collected and produce in the same manner of the stats found inBlack Book of Communism then they can be dismissed.
>>
So those are called Vatniks, right?
Because Soviet apologism in the West died with AJP Taylor I think and now it's burried there with all these books about the subject.
>>
>>67815291
But soviets were fucking barbarians.
Yes, germans were fucking awful too and committed atrocities, but the soviets weren't better when they started their conquest of Eastern Europe.
You're probably a fedora communist who thinks that Soviet Union is ''cool''.
>>
Stalingrad. It's all in Russian and the quality is pretty good. It's somewhat knew and I should mention that because there might be tons of other movies named Stalingrad out there.
>>
>>67815291
>"""""help"""""
nice meme mate
Hitler started the war, because he was sure that Russia wouldn't interfere and help his cause, despite him hating commies. Russia only started """"" liberating""""" after Hitler went for Moscow, which was a retarded idea.
>>
>>67815309
ONE MAN WILL BE GIVEN A RIFLE
THE OTHER MAN WILL BE GIVEN THE AMMO
WHEN THE ONE WITH THE RIFLE DIES, THE MAN WITH THE AMMO TAKES THE RIFLE
>>
File: images (1).jpg (29 KB, 406x362) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
29 KB, 406x362
>>67816963
>Polish intellectuals
>>
>>67819084
nothing wrong with being a barbarian or committing "atrocities"
>>
>>67819084
This.
The Soviets raped women.
>>
what the fuck is this thread jesus fuck
>>
Soviets were the bad guys tho
>>
>>67815291
Lol, that image was doctored by the Soviets so that they could remove all of the stolen watches that guy was wearing
>>
File: haytarma.jpg (50 KB, 400x452) Image search: [Google]
haytarma.jpg
50 KB, 400x452
A bit off topic, but are there any about Russian's/Soviet minorities such as Tatars? All I know of is pic related.
>>
>>67821292

And the Germans. And the Japanese. And the British. And the Americans. And the French.
>>
>>67821863
>And the Germans.
Nope.
They got punished or killed if they did that.
>>
>>67815291
>implying there is a way to show order 227 in a positive light
The soviet war machine ran on foreign resources and manpower (as in wasting manpower). Sickening.
>>
File: 1436063397435.jpg (7 KB, 200x268) Image search: [Google]
1436063397435.jpg
7 KB, 200x268
>>67815291
>>
>>67821999
>k/d ratio 0.8
>even though soviets had poor organization at the start of the war
>still believing that zerg rush shit was real and common
>>
>>67815291
Liberation series
Brest Fortress
Stalingrad
The Dawns Here Are Quiet
>>
>>67822500
t. commie
>>
>>67822500
Stalingrad is from the German side though, isn't it?
Still a good movie.
>>
File: seva.jpg (44 KB, 600x253) Image search: [Google]
seva.jpg
44 KB, 600x253
>>67815291
>>67815375
battle for sevastopol
>>
>>67822500
>The Dawns Here Are Quiet
The book is pretty good. Hardly about the war though.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.