[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I might be retarded /tv/, but I don't get it. Why does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: bvs.jpg (10 KB, 303x166) Image search: [Google]
bvs.jpg
10 KB, 303x166
I might be retarded /tv/, but I don't get it.

Why does it need to make 800 mil. to make profit with 400 mil. budget? Doesn't 401 mil. count as profit?
>>
>>67801076
That doesn't include marketing
>>
>>67801076
>$250 million production budget
>$150 million + marketing budget
>Studio does not get 100% of the gross, they get most of it in America but it's less than half in some foreign markets cus they gotta pay licensing fees

There's also the fact that this is the launchpad for their entire expanded DC film universe -- if they can't even make $800 million on Batman v Superman, their two chief properties, how the hell are they going to sell a Cyborg movie?
>>
Literal thousands of people were involved in production, millions of manhours were wasted, don't forget cinemas take their cut. Sure a fucking million covers it
>>
250m in production + 150-250m in advertising - 50% of box office revenue = Profit for studio
>>
They're not investing all this money to make a few million. This movie is supposed to be the launching pad for a series of DC movies like Justice League, Aquaman, Flash, restore the faith after MoS etc etc. This is supposed to be their Avengers, their biggest franchise.

A billion is the minimum that the studio expected. It's like how A2 was considered a disappointment because it didn't gross as much as A1.
>>
>>67801132
No it's a $400 million production budget you fucking moron. Marketing is NOT included.
>>
>>67801151
It's a $400M production budget you fucking moron. Marketing was NOT included.
>>
>>67801177

>confirmed nowhere

Every credible source says 250 mil, then speculation about marketing. That 400mil figure came from Latino Review.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>67801226

if the budget was 250m, then the marketing was probably around that too. the marketing campaign was absolutely huge and lasted months too, it was bigger than any Marvel one i'd seen.
>>
Cause theaters take half of box office money so it's 200m something for domestic so that's about 100m they got right now. International they get way less since the dollar over there isn't as strong so if it were 300m, they probably would get 90-100m. So 500m worldwide they only make 200m so far.
>>
$400,000,000 budget.
$400,000,000 marketing.
>>
File: 1459651833057.png (1 MB, 922x926) Image search: [Google]
1459651833057.png
1 MB, 922x926
>>67801132
>>
OP here,

so the studio only gets around half of what the movie earns. I was retarded forgetting about cinema cuts and shit.

Thank you good people of /tv/.
>>
>>67801259

are you an idiot?

the only time box office sales would ever be recorded as something other then USD would be as euros or british pounds, both of which are worth MORE than USD.

baka
>>
>>67801076
it needs 900m to break even
>>
>>67801292
Its also generally less than half in the international market.
>>
>>67801076
huurrrr

4mil is getting away...
>>
Rule of thumb: if a movie doesn't double its budget, financially its considered a flop.
>>
>>67801276
Sort of.
Profits also get taxed.
>>
>>67801327
Holy fuck a whole 42cents more!

Go fuck yourself, its still correct
>>
>>67801132

But i thought that the budget was both for this film and help set up JL. That's why they're filming it so early.

There's also product placement and merchandising.
>>
the % they get from the BO is weird

they get the most from the domestic take - sometimes 90% in the first two or three weeks

internationally it varies, china is weird - a year or two ago they were just holding all the BO themselves.

thats why BvS making under 350m is a disaster. especially with the massive opening, it should be earning over 400m easily.
>>
$250 Production Budget
$200 Marketing Budget (this is a worldwide number)

1) Movie studios do not own theaters and theaters dont show movies for free. The exact percentage that studios get varies but it is approximately 55% of the final gross goes to studios and 45% goes to the theaters / distributors.

2) For foreign box office gross, the percentage is even lower. Again it varies from country-to-country - for example in China, Hollywood studios only get 25% of the total gross (see article below)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-30/why-china-is-hoarding-hollywood-s-box-office-profits

3) Box office does not equal the only revenue a movie gets. Studios can get revenue from many other sources other than box office from merchandising, licensing, DVD/Blu-Ray sales, etc. But box office gross is - by far - the primary factor in determing a movie's profitability
>>
>>67801465
So since BvS is at about 550m now how much did they really make?
>>
>>67801545
Nothing, they need about 900m to break even
>>
>>67801592
what about merchandise
>>
>>67801076

Everything you need to know about the facts and figures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYKeQczkFfM
>>
>>67801622
What about it?
>>
>>67801076
Two big reasons.

1. Studios don't get 100% of what is made in the box office. Theaters take a sizeable cut in ticket sales, and with Batman vs Superman, DC also takes a cut of the box office. With foreign sales, the studio sees much less (and over half of what it's making is being made overseas).

2. Marketing and other costs of the film aren't reflected in the budget of the film. The marketing for Batman vs Superman was massive and thus very, very expensive.

Ultimately, what it means is the box office isn't a representative of what the studio actually gets for it, and the budget isn't its total cost.
>>
>>67801076
They don't make these movies to make $1 out of them. Also sold tickets don't immediately mean a profit for the studio.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.