[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is a great fucking film. I don't understand the hate,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: godzilla2014.jpg (502 KB, 1046x1600) Image search: [Google]
godzilla2014.jpg
502 KB, 1046x1600
This is a great fucking film. I don't understand the hate, to this day.

What are /tv/s thoughts on it?
>>
>>67797746
8/10

Good but needed Anguirus and hot asian piloting Mechagodzilla
>>
>>67797746
Was good. Hated how they kept teasing Buffzilla in each scene until the end.
>>
>>67797746
I had some issues with pacing, but overall loved it. The last 30 minutes were fucking awesome.
>>
It was meh and kinda generic. I'm cautiously optimistic about the sequel though. It's gonna have more classic monsters like Mothra and King Gidorrah
>>
>>67797746
>I don't understand the hate
What hate?
>>
>>67797746
Terrible. I appreciate what they were trying to do but they shouldn't have picked "soldier McKick-Ass" for the lead role.
>>
slightly confused of the role of the bomb
>>
>>67798020

Yeah, this. I know it drags at parts but I enjoyed it quite a bit
>>
>>67797746
it was just under ok. boring, uninteresting human characters make waiting for monsters to show up a chore and i didn't care for Godzilla's design. i thought he had a tiny head, weird arms, and was too bulky. i also didn't find myself invested in the story, not that i'm particularly sure what they could have changed that would have helped. i didn't enjoy the fact that this Godzilla gets his ass kicked the minute he's fighting more than one opponent. i did enjoy seeing the little british lady that followed around Serizawa. i thought she was cute. the score could have been better. the opening theme was good but literally nothing else in the soundtrack was noteworthy. the action was decent, though, as hard as it was to actually see any of it as most of it happens in the dead of night with no power in the city. i gave not a single shit about the mutos. i wanted to love this movie but it disappointed me. i hope the sequel is better.
>>
Couldn't even afford Bryan Cranston for more than a quarter of the film.
It was garbage.
>>
>>67797746
The only movie that goes out its way to fucking piss you off in recent memory. That one scene switching from monsters fighting to news report on TV is the biggest fuck-you to the audience i have ever seen.
>>
It has a really shitty bland protagonist.
Bryan Cranston would have made a better protagonist.
My only hope is that the sequels feature new characters except for Ken Watanabe.
>>
It was good
>>
Was hoping that Walter White would be the protagonist instead of Sgt. Frank Iero

Other than that, breddy gud
>>
>>67797746
I enjoyed it for the fact that it had great tension and visuals. I give it a 6/10 but there is something sorely missing from this film. It's just incomplete. It's not even a finished film. So many shit was in the trailers that wasn't even in the movie. They should never have killed Cranston's character, the only interesting character in the whole movie. I dunno, there's just something about this movie where I can't seem to feel the need to ever watch it again. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's just incomplete. So many movies have this problem nowadays. Hobbit BOTFA comes to mind.
>>
File: 4chan version.jpg (10 KB, 294x247) Image search: [Google]
4chan version.jpg
10 KB, 294x247
>no characters
>no monsters
>Godzilla film
>good
Yeah the last 30 seconds when Godzilla kills the thing is cool, whatever, the other 120 minutes are cancer.
>>
>>67798083

I still loved the movie bc Godzilla, but i couldn't agree more. He's been wooden every since the first kick-ass. Killing of Heisenberg was ballsy and i respect that but it was too early and anticlimactic

7.5/10 for me

but the last 30 mins were 10/10
>>
>>67797746
Hated the children on this movie, had some problems with pacing and the best human character got killed early in the movie leaving us with his insufferable son. But I still enjoyed it, the MUTOs where cool and I even felt with them when their offspring got killed. Also Godzilla was awesome.
>>
>>67797746
The quality started dropping when Bryan cranston's character died. And he's probably 90% of the reason why people went to see the movie.
The other 10% wanted to watch Godzilla kick ass, not cut away to the wooden soldier boy son whenever he's about to kick ass!
>>
>>67800134
Confirmed for never watching the original
>>
>>67800665
You know what, the original film had interesting characters, good pacing, and they didn't try to desperately hide Godzilla. I don't understand why Gareth Edwards thought hiding the monster action the whole time would be cool. It worked in Jaws because the characters were interesting and the flow of the movie was excellent. It didn't work in this one because everything besides Godzilla, Mutos and Cranston was shit.
>>
>>67797746
they didn't even with the characters I don't know why it took so long to get to the fight scenes

otherwise I enjoyed the cgi and at least it wasn't taking itself too seriously 7/10
>>
The only film I fell asleep watching in the cinema aside from Daddy Day Care
>>
File: 67868768768.jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
67868768768.jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
>>67797746
all i wanted was to see gozilla fighting monsters and destroying stuff but only got like 5 minutes of that, and like 3 hours of some guy running
disappointment/10
>>
>>67802397
Is that a still from that one game?

It was fun but damn the parachuting level got retarded at times
>>
>>67802443
yes it is
>>
>>67801463
>and they didn't try to desperately hide Godzilla

I'd agree, but not entirely. The original Godzilla did have many scenes where they only show him from afar, in fog or darkness, and those often happen to be the best shots in the film. They're very atmospheric.

However, I'd argue that the main difference is that the original movie isn't two damn hours long. Even a difference of just fifteen to twenty minutes can make a movie have a completely different effect on the audience.
I often disagree when people simply count the screen time of something in a movie and then say "there was too little of that in it", but the fact that so many people seem to have noticed this about Godzilla may point to a particular problem. It's not necessarily that there's not enough Godzilla in this movie, but rather too little other stuff that's actually engaging.
>>
>>67797746
It's bad because I counted the amount of screentime Godzilla had down to the second so that proves it's bad.

>>67798921
Nah, that one was pretty funny, a nice comment on how we see world-changing events: through shitty phone footage. But the second cut-away was totally unnecessary.
>>
>>67797746
I really like it. It has some problems like 95% of these movies. The sequel will have more action anyway. I liked the references to the 50s and modern Japan.
>>
I liked it a lot. People complaining about not enough scenes of full godzilla have no idea what the suspense was about
>>
>>67798775
You sound like you just don't like godzilla
>>
>>67797746
It was a film about some random soldier that happened to have a tiny bit of godzilla in it
>>
>>67797746
My only real complaint is that they over used the
>sudden silence
>camera slowly pans up
>big monster
>roar

Seriously that exact series of events happened about 4 or 5 times.

Not gonna lie though, it was cool all 4 or 5 times.
>>
>>67803757
I'm glad that during the flare reveal scene they used the same sound effect as in the trailer. Guess they realised it was too good.
The skydiving scene was also great. In general I liked the military in the movie. Better than in most Godzilla movies.
>>
File: Shin_Gojira_poster.jpg (57 KB, 340x480) Image search: [Google]
Shin_Gojira_poster.jpg
57 KB, 340x480
>>67797746
5/10 at best.

lazy, dull military shit pretending that Cranston was the lead. Godzilla hardly got any screen time.

The Japanese remake this year will be way better
>>
I liked it, but it was too long. A good 20 minutes of human scenes could have been cut.
>>
>>>/wsg/1010152
>>>/wsg/1010152
>>>/wsg/1010152

BUNCHA WEBMS WITH AUDIO
>>
>>67803879
WOW had no idea this part existed on 4chan
>>
>>67797746
I didn't like it, at all, and that's coming from a huge Godzilla fan.

A lot of people pull the "You wanted 2 hours of Godzilla" card, but that is incorrect. The film's issue wasn't that there wasn't enough, it was that it squandered him every single time. Build up is important, but it can only work if you satisfy it. You can't just spend literally 5 sequences teasing something, cutting away to something unimportant, then come back with it all wrapped up and expect me to be enthralled. By the time the real fight happens, I stopped caring. The fire breath scene did nothing for me because there was no anticipation by that point. I was teased so many times that I stopped caring.

The entire film is "Cock Tease: The Motion Picture." They even ruin the main character.

>Spend the entire opening showing the tragedy from Cranston's perspective
>Give him strong motivation to be apart of the film
>Cast an extremely charismatic actor who steals every scene
>Make him both sympathetic yet flawed
>Kill him off for a block of wood that just so happens to be good for Godzilla missions
>>
>>67803879

>clearly traveling
>personal foul

That's why you ain't got no ring, Chuck.
>>
>>67797746
I loved it but it has one major problem for me, killing off cranston and keeping kick ass when it should have been the other way around.

Cranston's character would have had a much better dynamic with Olsen as he learned about and struggled for the extended family he never connected with. It would have led to some actual character growth which is important in a monster movie that focuses so much on the human element.

Things like the monorail scene with the lost child could have had more resonance as Cranston realises what a terrible father he was and how his ultimate goal now is to be there for what's left of his family.
>>
File: depressed godzilla.jpg (55 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
depressed godzilla.jpg
55 KB, 600x800
>>67805041
What did Godzilla do to deserve a son like Minya

oh yeah, he destoyed Tokyo a dozen times
>>
>>67797746
I liked it because I saw an RX7.
>>
>>67800665
No one wants to watch that chink shit from the '50s.
>>
>>67797746
I really like Resurgence Godzilla's design, but all I can find of him are the leaks from a few months back and fan art.

It's the phallic neck and skeleton arms that are doing it for me
>>
>>67805213

>Coming down pretty hard G, guess you can play with Anguirus tomorrow, why don't you read that book on load bearing walls again, that's your favorite!
>>
>>67805298
Same, I think it looks incredible, like a more extreme version of the original with the radiation scars and deformed appearance.
>>
>>67797746
>great

Nah

But it's about as smart / classy as a movie about a giant dinosaur monster fighting other monsters is EVER going to be.

EVER.

I want kaiju fags to realize this.
>>
>>67797746
Should have kept Brian Cranston, he was much more interesting than any of the other humans
>>
>>67804923
this would have saved the movie tbqh
>>
>>67797746
there was about 20 minutes of sheers spine tingling awesomeness and the rest was fucking teasing lame boring shit.
>>
>>67797746
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
It was a nice nap.
>>
>>67797746
I would probably only see this movie again if I were paid money.
>>
File: G-025.jpg (31 KB, 350x344) Image search: [Google]
G-025.jpg
31 KB, 350x344
>>67806039
Someone's never seen GMK
>>
>>67807732
are you implying this literally edgelord movie is smart and classy?
even the Japs didn't like it because it missed the point
>>
>>67807834
Please explain how GMK is edgy.
>>
>>67806505
/Thread
>>
>>67797802
Godzilla + Pacific Rim combo movie?
>>
could legendary get away with showing them mating onscreen?
>>
>>67811359

Probably, their reproduction process is basically "oh god I laid so many eggs, now shoot your jizz on them while I'm still so horny!"
>>
>>67803018
Godzilla was also a new thing back then. Revealing it slowly made sense.

But trying to mimic the same approach after 60 years, when there's trailers and TV spots and merch that show what he looks like right off the bat?

At least the '98 movie had a reason not to reveal the monster too fast, because the new design they shat out was meant to be one of the main attractions. But they didn't give him a drastic make-over this time.
>>
>>67807916
Godzilla is full-blown evil and malicious whereas the original idea was to portray the monster as a victim who was enraged but not malicious in any sentient way
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.