[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, what's /tv/ take on this movie? Seen it last night,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: the-martian-poster.jpg (24 KB, 260x386) Image search: [Google]
the-martian-poster.jpg
24 KB, 260x386
So, what's /tv/ take on this movie?
Seen it last night, and i got mixed feelings
While i enjoyed the whole science side and the whole "When people join together, they do the impossible" message, but at the same time i hated the whole "le science xdd" jokes the character had to quip every time he opened his mouth, also the beginning was shit, i don't even know the protagonist and they already expect me to care for him when he gets blown away in the storm.
Overall, a light 7/10.
>>
The book was better.
>>
It was reddit incarnate

>>67774464
The book was even worse
>>
File: 1277490029367.jpg (50 KB, 404x550) Image search: [Google]
1277490029367.jpg
50 KB, 404x550
>>67774320

Best hard SF movie ever.

And don't mention "Love Dimension" Interstellar, or "Hubble in same orbital plane as ISS" Gravity either.
>>
>>67774320
It had so many quips I thought it was a Marvel movie lmao
>>
>>67774320
great visuals, atrocious dialog and humor, solid acting, good soundtrack, 6/10 at most
>>
Good, entertaining movie that is nonetheless forgettable. It lacks a strong emotional or thematic core so I really didn't care too much. People were hailing it as a return to form Ridley but it's one of his most mediocre films. Not saying all his recent stuff is good (Exodus was one of the worst movies I've seen) but they're at least interesting. Still it was a light to decent 6
>>
Discard literal interpretations for a moment and ask yourself the following questions:

- why is Matt Damon so proud, resourceful and energetic on Mars but a shrunken, gray figure on Earth? What do the planets represent?
- what is the pervasive ideology in the movie? ('science' is not an ideology)
- Matt Damon talks about problem solving, and the prize being 'getting to go back home'. If you consider this philosophy in a broader sense, what does home actually refer to?
>>
>>67776027
>why is Matt Damon so proud, resourceful and energetic on Mars but a shrunken, gray figure on Earth? What do the planets represent?
Matt Damon isn't a shrunken grey figure back on earth. When he returns he becomes a sort of leader and teacher. Him being shrunken only means he's a manlet and that represents manlets btfo.

>what is the pervasive ideology in the movie? ('science' is not an ideology)
Probably hope

>Matt Damon talks about problem solving, and the prize being 'getting to go back home'. If you consider this philosophy in a broader sense, what does home actually refer to?
Home would just be the state of normalcy. Returning to home would be a mission to return to a normal and earlier state of life.

In all, the story is about a manlet who becomes the big man on mars, but can't help but want to and need to return to his state of manlethood.
>>
>>67774793
but that's literally what it tried to be
>le epic space movie nerds
>>
It was pretty comfy
>>
>>67774320
>...I enjoyed the whole science side...

Fuck off back to /reddit\, and I say that unironically. Kill yourself.
>>
File: interstellar.jpg (220 KB, 1047x1572) Image search: [Google]
interstellar.jpg
220 KB, 1047x1572
better
>>
File: image.png (845 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.png
845 KB, 1920x1080
>>67776562
>>
>>67776595
it was better though
>>
>>67776027
are you saying it's about an autist's yearning for being a part of society? that's what you're saying, isn't it?

so that's why I liked it lmao
>>
Honestly the more space shit we can get the better, I unironically love even shitty space movies like that abomination val Kilmer did back in the day
>>
>>67774741
No it wasn't.

It's a comedy with a dash of science. If anything the movie adheres to the book fairly well. In the end, both are disposable entertainment, but they both entertain. I mean you have to be some kind of joyless asshole to enjoy something like Red Planet over this.
>>
autist fantasies the film
>>
Fucked it up by including NASA.

Should have just been Damon.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.