[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tv/ think of the first Mad Max?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: Mad-Max-Poster.jpg (360 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Mad-Max-Poster.jpg
360 KB, 1000x1500
What does /tv/ think of the first Mad Max?
>>
Terrible, the pacing all over the shop.
>>
Too hidebound to a traditional film plot.

Road Warrior 2 was a piece of art. Fuck characterisation, fuck even having consistency with the setting of the first one. The vision was post-apocalyptic car wars with a badass loner, and that's exactly what the movie was. No nonsense about like REMEMBER WHEN HIS WIFE AND KID DIED THO

Mad Max 1 was just an OK cult movie with cool cars.
>>
It's like it's set in the future but it's like it's not set in the future. What the fuck.
>>
Forced drama and Mel Gibson's inability to convey rage and despair.
>>
I like to think of this movie and it's sequel as one film.
>>
MM1 grat
MM2 goat tier
MM3 top keke tier
MM4 eternal goat tier
>>
It was George Miller's first movie and was he even described the experience of filming it as just some Australian guys fucking around with cars. I only like it because it lead to The Road Warrior.
>>
>>67768024
only one i havent seen tbqh
>>
>>67768160
>mm3

It's real good in parts tho. The problem is those parts kinda don't mesh together and there is just so much stupid shit. Agree with the rest
>>
>>67768024
The series is laid out perfectly IMO
>Mad max 1 is right after an apocalypse event, people are clinging onto society, rebuilding, even have a police force
>Mad max 2, things have started to devolve and while some people will help out other and band together, most have become either crazed lunatics or have become bandits
>Mad Max 3 goes full dystopia, corrupt broken towns of scumbags, uneducated kids who have turned stories of the past into mythology and prophesy
>Mad max 4 everything is run by the gangs, the world is in ruins and there is no reasonable hope for a stable society

Side note: I was doing work experience at a gym when I was younger, and literally trained the guy who played the leader of the bike gang. Cool bloke, got way fat though.
>>
>>67768024
Oh also, that last scene where he gives the dude the ultimatum between trying to cut the chain, or hacking off his foot, is what inspired the SAW series.
>>
File: 17916-11779.gif (57 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
17916-11779.gif
57 KB, 320x240
>>67768024
/tv/ thinks it's boring and gay and doesn't have enough meme-dialogue and meme-characters.

I think it's easily the best Mad Max.
>>
>>67768439
Sweet.
>>
Shit compared to 2 and 4 but a masterpiece compared to 3
>>
>>67768410
Am I the only one who hates when the lore tries to make the apocalypse so recent?

I liked Fallout's idea of making it like three generations back. One old-ass ghoul remembers it because she was 4 years old when the bombs hit, but otherwise no one remembers the old world.

I was looking up shit from MM4 on some faggot wikia for it and it's like
>Immortan Joe's real name is Joey Patroni and he was a colonel in the Australian army and he lived at 2172 Strailya Lane in Bingham, Chathkent. When the war happened, he joined Rick Kerns and Billy Stevenson, who became THE CAPTAIN OF DEATH and THE POST-APOCALYPTIC GELATINOUS BLOB MONSTER to rule over a race of tribals who were managing departments within recent memory.
>>
>>67768024
The irony is that Mad Max isn't really a Mad Max movie.
>>
The only one in the series I actually like (haven't seen Fury Road, though).

I really don't get why Mad Max 2/The Road Warrior is so revered, as I found it to be kind of boring and empty. Great action scenes, but everything else is kind of a drag.
Which is weird, because the first one's pacing is a lot slower, but it's just more interesting to me overall.
>>
It kind of remains me of the first two Fallout Games. Lots of greenery compared to the later movies and civilization is relatively stable.
>>
>>67768098
its set 5 minutes before the apocalypse
>>
>>67768550
The first Fallout game's setting is primitive as fuck. People are barely cobbling together towns by squatting in old shanties.

Fallout 2 is the one with the more stable situation. Towns have grown into minor "cities."
>>
>>67768574
Hub City is pretty solid. They have a police force, a thriving regional economy and regular trade with their neighbors. If there were no Master or FEV they'd be golden even without the Protagonist showing up.
>>
>>67768024
It's pretty terrible. It's part of the "oh, hey, look, the aussies can make movies too" craze of the late 70s. It really doesn't hold up well.
>>
>>67768771
It holds up fine.
>>
its my fave of the series followed in tie by 2 and 4.
Its just perfect and has some of my favourite characters.

>tfw jim goose may of been Humungus
>>
Pretty mediocre and boring. Particularly if we compare it to the other entries in the franchise.

You can reduce it to a comfy 30-45 minute short and it would be much better, as it would have less filler.
>>
>>67768771
Really m80? I think you have shit taste.
Max 2 was just better.
>>
>>67768410
Mad max 1 is just before the apocalypse tho, as the civilization is falling
>>
its better than the newest one
>>
Boring. Terrible pacing. The last car chase sequence is sweet though.

The Road Warrior took Mad Max and made it ten times better.
>>
>>67768219
The movie was good up until Max left Barter Town. After that it was just went to crap
>>
>>67769093
pleb detected
>>
>>67768024
Really not good. Toecutter was good though.
>>
File: lord humungus.jpg (103 KB, 561x480) Image search: [Google]
lord humungus.jpg
103 KB, 561x480
MM: ehhh..
MM2: the best
MM3: it's alright, too bad it was rushed
MM4: almost good as MM2

I found it boring and predictable. It was just like any other 70s exploitation movie, and I also saw it after seeing Mad Max 2 so I knew what to expect from the series, and it was nothing like Mad Max 2 so the element of disappointment was involved.

Also, Lord Humungus from Road Warrior is one of the best villains because you can't really figure out what's his beef. He looks hilarious, but threatening. He's super violent, but reasonable. He's brutish, but intelligent.
I heard he was originally supposed to be Toecutter from the first movie, but badly burnt and mangled from the final explosion.
>>
>>67768969
Really. Saw each of them when they came out, with the exception of the last one.

The first one is a crappy b-movie, an aussie version of the "AWM takes revenge" flick (cf. Rolling Thunder).

Yes, Max2 is better. It has more of a story than "AWM takes revenge."
>>
>>67769226
>Toecutter from the first movie, but badly burnt and mangled from the final explosion
nah mate, it was menna be Goose
>>
Nothing makes me prouder as an Australian than the Mad Max films. I was so happy to see Fury Road win a few Oscars.
>>
>>67769226
>MM4: almost good as MM2
>Feminism Max 4: original the character
>as good as 2

nah m8
>>
File: ToecutterHatesGuns.png (975 KB, 1280x548) Image search: [Google]
ToecutterHatesGuns.png
975 KB, 1280x548
>>67768024
>>67768024
A strange film that doesn't really know what it wants to be, but is nevertheless very good.

2>1>4>3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOi1l_Dkl-A
>>
File: Wez_MMRW_h2.jpg (65 KB, 600x286) Image search: [Google]
Wez_MMRW_h2.jpg
65 KB, 600x286
>>67768459
The Road Warrior beats it, imo, but just barely. Mad Max 1 is still amazing, and it is much better than Thunder Road and Furydome.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.