[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, so i just watched Batman vs Superman and I thought it was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18
File: Batman-V-Superman.jpg (49 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
Batman-V-Superman.jpg
49 KB, 1200x600
Ok, so i just watched Batman vs Superman and I thought it was a good movie. What was wrong with it? did it now follow the comics or something? Why the low ratings?
>>
not enough quips desu
>>
disney are threatened so pay off as many as they can
>>
Some rather severe narrative and character building/development issues.
>>
>>67707521
>Ok, so i just watched Batman vs Superman and I brain dead.
>>
>>67707562
convincing.
>>
File: 1397775299028.jpg (139 KB, 540x557) Image search: [Google]
1397775299028.jpg
139 KB, 540x557
>>67707559
>>67707559

Yes it didn't live up to the lofty expectations that us comic book aficionados look for in our graphic novels!

Do you have any actual reasons or will you just parrot the same shit everyone else does?
>>
>>67707521
Congratulations, you're an active viewer and not a mindless drone.
>>
seriously guys,. what was wrong with the movie?
>>
>>67707521
It's just too ahead of it's time. The world isn't ready for Capekino
>>
>>67707683
same thing happened to watchmen. same thing happened to kino of steel. Maybe the world will just never be able to comprehend the anomaly that is snyder.
>>
>>67707521
the movie was so overt and in your face with what it wanted to say that it went right by everyone

maybe it's in a way too real and to referential to attitudes in our own world.
i think the criticism that it's not escapists supports my thinking here, people want to escape real life questions and the movie says no; what do we mean when we talk about these topics, these heroes. it starts in a world where there is a clash of values in the real world and it coalesces into a pure amalgamation of fantasy and reality which affirms these same values. perhaps the ability to not look into the movie is lack of a desire to not look at ourselves
a stretch perhaps but i think this is true for at least some people
>>
>>67707521
People aren't used to seeing Superman portrayed as inexperienced and the Batman as disillusioned is a huge part of it, even though both those things are shown happening in the comics.

Glad to hear you liked it, OP. I really enjoyed it, too.
>>
I want capeshit to leave
>>
>>67707521
>>67707682
Nothing. It's like saying this movie was bad is some kinda ruse created by critics because it was not fun and had minimal jokes
>>
>>67712755
How's it going newfriend
>>
>>67712915
I want capeshit to leave
>>
File: itut6.png (273 KB, 343x419) Image search: [Google]
itut6.png
273 KB, 343x419
>if there's even a 1% chance he's bad we should take that as a 100% chance he's bad
>>
>>67713012
Well I mean he did set up contingency plans for everyone in the league even having been with them for awhile, even did it for himself so there is that
>>
>>67707521
Critics shitposting.
>>
>>67707521
Only fucknuggets care about muh source material, other people hate it because of it's clusterfuck of a plot, shit-tier acting, ridiculous dialogue, and the meaningless cgi abomination of an ending.
We are talking about a movie where batman decides to fight superman because he has a bad dream, and stops because he finds out they have their mothers have the same name.
>>
Was a little fast and crooked, but from a critical standpoint it's alright. Definitely not the worst capeshit. As a FAN, it is more than satisfying. I liked it.
>>
>>67714023
You're a fag
>>
>>67713012
>Frank Castro
Hispanic Punisher
>>
>>67707521
You are doing it wrong. You are supposed to read Rotten Tomatoes and decides whether you like the film based on that. You aren't supposed to form your own opinion. Just post
>DC BTFO
>DC BTFO
>DC BTFO
instead of saying you like it.
>>
File: BvS interpretations 1.jpg (653 KB, 632x2088) Image search: [Google]
BvS interpretations 1.jpg
653 KB, 632x2088
>>67708991
>>
>>67708991
If they wanted realism then they shouldn't use Superman. The character has always been an escapist symbol. TDK got good reviews because it was more realistic and more subtle than this hack
>>
File: BvS interpretations 2.jpg (343 KB, 628x1262) Image search: [Google]
BvS interpretations 2.jpg
343 KB, 628x1262
>>
>>67714023
Wasn't a bad dream, it was a vision of the future delivered by a guy saying "I'm early."
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the film, if anything this makes it worse.

Batman despite knowing who The Flash is and what he's capable of, despite the Flash's appearance having physical effects in the cave, despite the 'dream' imagry being not hoverbats but the future, despite 'I came too soon', despite all this... HE BRUSHES IT OFF AS JUST A DREAM. Go World's Greatest Detective.

Yeah, 'We MomBros Now Dude' is also retarded.
>>
File: BvS interpretations 3.jpg (1002 KB, 629x3630) Image search: [Google]
BvS interpretations 3.jpg
1002 KB, 629x3630
>>
File: 1459472207207.jpg (448 KB, 2000x1134) Image search: [Google]
1459472207207.jpg
448 KB, 2000x1134
>>67707521
Hello Alex!
>>
>>67714448
>Since his inception, Supes was christ.
And stopped reading. Supes was written by Jews inspired by the story of The Golem, not Jeebus.
>>
>>67714484
He hadn't yet seen the Flash when he had his premonition. Also, I'm reasonably sure that the reason we got the Inception-style false-awakening was because the Flash couldn't just reach out and wake Bruce for whatever reason, and Bruce's entire dream was influenced by the Flash shouting the information and trying to wake him up.
>>
Something about how the plot was a mess and didnt make sense, although don't worry I understood it. Something about bad editing, but don't ask me for examples. Something about bad motivations, and let me prove it by misrepresenting the movie. Something about muh batman shooting people while complaining about lack of character arcs. Something about how I thought it had a dark superman and I'll prove it by quoting other people than superman.

Those are the usual reasons. I thought the 'too smart' was just a meme. But most audiences can't follow references that happened more than 10 minutes earlier.
>>
>why was the movie bad besides the hundreds of opinions explanations covered by everyone countless times, both in opinion and fact? No uses actual critiques, online reviews, or your own opinions either as that means you didn't get it. I liked it though :^)

Why even ask these questions if you just want to suck Zack and DCs dick? Is the damage control that bad?
>>
>>67714625

B-b-but Snyder's vision!
>>
>>67714644
He saw Flash IMMEDIATELY after.
That encounter caused PHYSICAL effects.

The fact anyone, much less Batman, would shrug that all off as just a dream is absurd. The fact Batman, who we see has a file on The Flash, makes no intuitive leap to 'that was more than a dream' makes this Batman look retarded.
>>
>>67714706
Are you so insecure in your own faculties that it intimidates you that there's the remotest possibility that some people saw meaning where you did not?
>>
>>67714767
Of making Watchmen over and over again...?
>>
>>67714789
Except he didn't. That's the entire reason for him gathering the league in the first place.

"I have a feeling."
>>
>>67714810
You can impose meaning as well as observe it.
Just sayin'.
>>
>>67714789
I'm sorry, but seeing a masked man for a handful of seconds while half-awake does not, at least in my mind, equate to instant recognition of an unmasked man on a security video. Not to mention that when the Flash appears in the cave, there's no indication that he's moving at incredible speed.
>>
>>67714674
It isn't complicated, it's inconsistent, Lex Luthor goes from being a human supremacist to some weird Darkseid Cultist (hey guess what there's a scene that explains this, but they fucking cut it, and left in 5 minutes of batman slowly clicking through a hard drive to tease the next five dc movies). Batman neer gets a decent reason to fight superman and when Luthor convinces superman to fight him (instead of just flying off to save his mum, which he can do for Lois at any point, no matter how distant she is), it is a dull punch up, because batman keeps gassing him with kryptogas, before changing his mind when he finds out their mothers have the same name. Afterward Lois chucks a kryptonite spear into a shallow pool of water to hide it (water being famously hard to swim in), only to have to retreie it in the very next scene, because they have to fight the hulk.
>>
>>67714895
That's a fair point. Until I see where the remaining arc takes us, I'll just say that I'm doubtful as to what meaning I took away from it being purely coincidental.
>>
>>67714863
In which case if he saw the dream for what it was, it makes even LESS sense for him not to kill Superman, Mommy or not.

MurderBat killed with impunity, not once caring he had become the monsters he set out to fight, never caring about how many dead goons had mothers.

Yet, when faced with a prophecised Alien Hitler, he has second thoughts for no other reason than MARTHA. Either way, this Batman is retarded.
>>
>>67714460
>realism
i meant in what we see on screen, not the literal fact that some dude flies

something i've been posting and defending since monday is that the movie starts with many characters in different places and slowly moves them all until they are in the same scene which carries all the metaphors and emotions addressed in the movie. the doomsday scene erases the line between the figurative and the literal. what we see on screen is all the characters inner and outer struggles materialized in a physical manifestation of evil that is overcome through superman's love of humanity, here represented by lois. the realism is in that the movie takes the value of superman seriously
>batman v superman
the movie puts superman in a public hearing and judges in favor of superman

what's so weird about this movie is that all of this is overt yet people are saying it's not there. i've never been trying to defend the movie or comment on the illusive object quality of it when i post about it yet people are saying that none of this is in there. time and time again we see the site reject all these things which i took as being turned to 10 on the gain meter within the movie
>>
>>67714983
It's about power, Lex's plans to gain power over Superman both went awry. So what does he do next? He makes himself supremely powerful by bringing the apocalypse to Earth. Also, the demonic imagery was in the movie, but the deleted scene makes it totally overt that he's metaphorically in communion with satan, and has become a tool of evil.
>>
>>67714983
Let's play a little game, you and I.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you right now this second have every reason to believe a kidnapper is holding one of your loved ones at gunpoint. You're reasonably sure of the general area they're in, but not 100% sure. Do you agree to their ransom demands or do you test their resolve?
>>
>>67714964
So, the world's greatest detective is stumped by at best 20% face obscured and some stubble?

You're really not doing much to assure me he isn't retarded.
>>
>Batman facing an all powerful monstrosity
>''oh, shit..''
>''Language!!''

That's when I left the theater. Really Snyder??
>>
>>67715080

Except those goons with mommies had 0 hesitation about trying to kill him, actively shooting at him with gatling guns and whatever else they could throw at him while Superman the entire time was either trying to talk to him or purposely not exerting himself enough to kill him.
>>
>>67715080
"Lois is the key."

"She was my world."

If the Flash had wanted him to kill Superman, wouldn't it have been simpler for him to simply say that? He didn't. As one of the world's greatest detectives, do you turn that over in your head a time or two before you commit to what you think it means?
>>
>>67715302
not that guy

i take lois to stand for earth or even mother earth. i'm not sure about this but it's an extended association in bvs so it might be useful
>>
>>67714448
thanks anon, feel free to post more
>>
>>67714810

>I can't even critique your opinion on opinions without referring back to my movie.

Thanks for proving my point. I'm sure you'll deflect this question, but isn't it possible people created their own meaning in this movie where there was none? Try to keep in mind this is Superman and Batman by the way.
>>
>>67715233
>They shoot me, I kill
Ok
>He's Alien Hitler and I know that to be true because time travel, but imma let Star Stalin live because his mommy has my mommys name
Retarded

Unless you're arguing unkillable tyrannical demigod isn't worse for everyone than Thug B with Gun.
>>
>>67713012

this is how states behave when global destruction is on the table. prisoners dilemma, which was already quite literally examined in dark knight
>>
>>67715221
And you're not really doing much to assure me that you've ever been unsure of anything. Ever.
>>
>>67715302
Whilst that is a fair point, we don't see it even implied that Bats does anything more than shrug it off then 'get a feeling'.
>>
>>67715483
>You're not perfect.
Granted.
>Ergo, it's ok Batman is retarded.
Doubtful, sure. Confused, ok.
Treating it all like it's NOTHING is retarded.
>>
>>67714789
>>67714644
>>67714484
IMO it wasn't "a dream". It was the flash time traveling to prevent the future, where superman turned evil and batman dies, where there is no justice league. So the flash warns batman.
The moment batman wakes up is the moment where the whole future and time changes because of the flash's timetravel actions.
>>
>>67715403
I already answered that here >>67715044, but go ahead and keep assuming. Keep in mind, the Greeks started out by telling stories about the adventures of demi-gods, too. No medium is inherently devoid of deeper meaning.
>>
>>67707521
>What was wrong with it? did it now follow the comics or something? Why the low ratings?

Badly written characters, incoherent plot, poor pacing, too much shilling for future films with nothing to do with the actual film itself

The characters having full on DBZ powers looks really goofy in live action
>>
>>67715548
I took it as a purposeful understandment considering he just said they need to get the metahumans together. Sounded like he was pretty worried about it to me.
>>
>>67714674
i've been saying this since i saw it monday night:

the movie is dense and has a lot of dots to connect, although at it's purest you don't need to connect all them to follow the story
>the movie is overt in it's meanings
>there is a structure to the editing, a conclusion i came to because of how i saw the movie maneuver a crescendo into a singular scene
eventually i thought about how the characters are edited in the movie and certain patterns that came up in my mind and this became stronger in my mind when i read a post an anon made about pearls after i implied the movie condenses itself to a single point in a spear like way
>we get two coupled bruce scenes at the beginning, afterwards we get ?falling pearls? into a gutter that the movie ascends from
>all this while including all sorts of references and allusions and the unforgiving revelation of information in bits

i don't want to incriminate anybody but most of what i heard can be directly answered by the movie. anything i'm not sure about makes me want to see the movie again
>>
>>67715676
Yes, well done have a cookie. This we already knew. The issue at hand is that,
Treating it as 'just a dream' makes Batman retarded.
Realising it's real and failing to kill Future Star Stalin (despite this being what he does to any other bad dude) because 'Martha', is even more retarded.
>>
>>67715437
which further drives the point that the movie is intra and extratextual
>>
>>67715548
And this is all I'm really getting at, in all honesty. A lot of people are making assumptions that they really don't have enough information to make one way or the other. This is very much not a stand-alone film, nor was it ever intended to be. DC could have just lifted Marvel's formula, but for good or ill, they chose not to. Instead of having the smallest bit of overarching plot in their main story with a teaser for future projects after the credits, they're attempting to interweave it and find a place for it organically within a tale that's spanning several movies. It might work, it might not, but at least it's different.
>>
>>67707559
character development issues, for who?
>>
>>67715758
My point remains that he still shrugs off the 'dream'. If all the purpose the 'dream' served was to be ignored except to give him a bad feeling, then it was fatty padding in an already bloated script. Or, more likely, trailer footage fodder and lazy foreshadowing.
>>
>>67715689
i've had a similar reaction where i've been told i saw things that weren't there that can be seen in anything and that the movie is absolute shit

and i've never tried to defend the movie. its so weird that people deny there's meaning when it's so obvious, and that the fact that there's nothing to the movie makes it shit
it marks a fundamental dissonance in the perception of the movie that's baffling me
when i explain what's in the movie i'm not trying to say the movie is good, my goal is to dig in and uncover what it is but it seems so weird that fundamentally i say "yeah, you see that" and people turn at me and say "dude there's nothing there"
>>
>>67716025
"Lois is the key,"

"You have to find us."

"You were always right about him."

The only ambiguous statement in there his the last. The whole world knows who Superman is, and even if the Flash is *far* "too early," they soon will. Bats took the first two statements to heart and is reserving judgement on the third. That's far from shrugging it off.
>>
>>67715921
I think my reply here serves >>67716025

And yes, I get they wanted Marvel but different. But IMO they could have either made this huge set piece be acknowledged rather than forgotten or focused more on Lex Skyping Apokolips. Putting in both is just messy overuse of foreshadowing.
>>
>>67714510
I'VE BECOME IMMORTAL ON THE INTERNET

MY FRIENDS HAVE HAD DREAMS OF ME

NOW ANONYMOUS STRANGERS SAVE MY THOUGHTS
>>
>>67716133
Interesting. Despite liking the movie I thought the flash cameo was hamfisted, but even that fits in somewhat organically.
>>
>>67716133
So then it's your assertion that Murderbat BELIEVES it's a message from the future.

That believing this and hating Superman already, he shows mercy on the greatest known threat humanity will ever face, because their mothers have the same name.

I'm sorry, but I can't see that and take it seriously. Unless another deep motif based snyder wanted to portray is 'Batman is Retarded'
>>
>>67716301
The flash cameo worked, because it's going to pay off and i think you can feel that it will.
>>
>>67707838
I liked watchmen, didnt read any of the comics tho, and some scenes were cringy but I liked it
>>
>>67716500
something addressed in other threads is that all these teases worked perfectly.
people saw them and wanted more, exactly what a tease is
>>
>>67707521

The story is too forced and a lot of stuff doesn't make sense.
The movie starts slow and then it gets desperately fast.

Lex Luthor was just a retarded crazy guy, more like the joker instead of Lex, didn't have any motivation to hate superman, and if superman died without killing doomsday, how would he stop it?

There was zero motivation to Clark hating Batman.

Batman and Superman just fight because it's the movie tittle, and it's the most retarded reason for them to stop.

Away too many scenes for future sequels instead of focusing this movie
>>
>>67716570
Yeah. I think people didn't like the film because of the cuts and they just haven't pinned it on that because how can you? that deleted scene on youtube makes me certain that's why the film is so hated, it's missing a 6th of it
>>
>>67716644
Even seeing that he's got Space Hell on speed dial didn't stop 'Lex' from being an annoying shit who fucked every scene he was in. Will the deleted scenes improve it a little, maybe. It won't fundamentally change the entire film.
>>
>>67716644
think its possible for two versions to release simultaneously in the future?
>>
>>67707521
Not enough fun
>>
>>67716422
Nope, I think that was mere coincidence. "Martha" bought Supes a few seconds, but it was ultimately seeing Lois that stayed his hand. It's a lot more complicated than just their moms having the same name. I'm sure it helped, don't get me wrong, but I don't think that was the sole(or even the most important) factor in his decision,
>>
File: martha.jpg (144 KB, 837x388) Image search: [Google]
martha.jpg
144 KB, 837x388
>>67716422
>he shows mercy on the greatest known threat humanity will ever face, because their mothers have the same name.
Well the whole Martha thing is built up throughout the movie, so for me it worked just fine because it's not just the name itself but a huge part of the batman character that's invoked (see pic).
>>
>>67716644
The last thing this movie needs is more obscure DC character teases
>>
>>67716780
I think it is. Snyder reportedly is pissed about the cuts he had to make and only let it happen with the DVD version being his cut of the film.
The original cut, where WB execs gave it a standing ovation, was 4 hours long and they wanted it cut down to be more Batman centric. Snyder cut it to 3 hours, which is still long, and the MPAA gave it an R rating, causing further cuts.
I think we could see the extended in theaters just to get extra money or if it is legit good, for critical praise and to improve future ticket sales.

I take it a step further saying i think WB could pull a watchmen and we get the 4 hour original cut on DVD at some point

The thing about Snyder, he can make good films, he just needs long ass run times to do it and the studios don't like that and force cuts
>>
>>67717003
one more reason it should be 2 movies instead of one
there is too much stuff in this movie, they should have just make a movie about Batman and Superman, nothing else.
>>
>>67716931
>He's inspired
>By a being he KNOWS can easily turn to Star Stalin
Don't buy it.
The film as it stands feels like a flawed first draft with lots of good ideas but no focus.
>>67716885
The thing is, he now knows that all it will take for Supes to go rogue, is a rescue prone moron to inevitably die.
How is that supposed to reduce his resolve to end the threat Superman poses?

I think the heart of this is that Snyder pumps so much hatred for Supes into Batman that when this anti climax happens, it feels like zero payoff.
>>
>>67717077
>more reason it should be 2 movies instead of one
I thought that too, but realized why they went against it (it was rumored at some point) I think they didn't do it because the first film would have next to no action and a Batman that people would hate more than they do now. The whole script would need to be restructured and i don't think it would work
>>
my problem with it is the reason for Supes and Bat fighting is super thin.

Batman knows it was not Superman who stopped the cheques and he knew it was Lex who blew up congress, so why fight Superman?
>>
>>67715849
It just helped the outcome. The message was "lois lane is the key", and NOT "superman is superevil". So when she fucking appears out of nowhere and says "martha is her mother, she is in danger", batman understood the situation and just saw some...humanity in superman. He felt empathy.
That's all.
You are the one complicating things, by oversimplifying them.
>>
>>67717287
>The thing is, he now knows that all it will take for Supes to go rogue, is a rescue prone moron to inevitably die.
>How is that supposed to reduce his resolve to end the threat Superman poses?

Because he has doubts all his own. Ultimately, he's looking at a guy who at his core really isn't all that different from himself, a guy who earlier told him that if he wanted him dead, the fight would already be over, and he sees enough out of him to believe that. We see Bats kill other people who are shooting at him, doing their dead-level best to turn him into a Batcorpse. Here's a guy that could unquestionably do it, and for some reason he isn't.

We've all done our fair share of calling them Murderman and Man of Murder. etc., but there's a fundamental difference between taking a life in self-defense and having your enemy at your mercy and stone-cold murdering him. Of the two characters, the only guy we've seen pushed that far is Superman, and even he was reluctant and quite obviously still hasn't made peace with it two years later.

Bats even bounces the idea off of Alfred and the best Alfred has for him borders on incredulity, When your most-trusted ally doubts the validity of your stated course, you might even take a moment to doubt yourself and reconsider, even if that moment only comes when watching a mortal woman run up to shield the invincible alien god.
>>
>>67716931
mercy is also important in the movie
luthor kills mercy at the hearing
>>
>>67717003
>>67717077
the work behind the camera is of people going absolute balls to the wall

the fact that a released deleted scene fit so snuggly into what we've been presented with begs the question of what the full vision is
>>
>>67718071
god fucking damn it.
BRAVO
R
A
V
O
>>
>>67717287
>good ideas but no focus.
completely disagree.
the movie shows you exactly what it wants to at every turn, at points in the movie literally frame by frame
>>
>>67717681
I'm not oversimplifying, but you are outright IGNORING the vision of the future with objectively evil superman and his Super Gestapo, which Flash also wanted bats to see. You're ignoring that Batman viciously murders far lesser threats. You're ignoring that as presented the 'dream' would only solidify an already rational hatred of Superman by CONFIRMING the 1% gotta assume bad.

If Batman KNOWS it's a vision of the future and acts accordingly, the only logical and rational thing to do is kill Superman.

By suddenly deciding not to, it's the equivalent of an Assassin travelling back to kill Hitler only to spare Der Fuhrer because of a painting of a lovely garden.

>>67717859
Again, how is self defence MORE valid than ending a dictatorship before it begins.

As this appears in the film, it makes no sense. You are retroactively imposing logic onto it, because you reasonably assume 'the plot moved forward, so it MUST make sense.'

The sad fact is that it's a confused mess that builds up too much just to fall flat.
>>
>>67718184
ayy real quick tho is that bravo mocking or sincere
>>
Because it flew over everybody's head, plebs hate stuff that makes them think.
>>
>>67717003
>4 hour cut
I-is there a chance we will see it one day?
>>
>>67718309
sincere. that's actually bretty gud
>>
>>67718242
'it looks pretty' and 'nice angles, they serve the plot', doesn't alter that the PLOT has good ideas but no focus.
>>
*tips fedora while stepping out of the shadows*

The pitiful peons at Marvel have underestimated the power of DC one time too many. The "Marvel Cinematic Universe". Huh. A shoddily shot, messily put together series of soulless and artless wastes of celluloid designed to appeal to the base intellects of moronic manchildren still dreaming of becoming powerful as they waste their lives away masturbating to images of Black Widow.

Only a fool and a weakling of mind could gain satisfaction from watching poorly animated CGI trade weightless and impactless punches while trading quips a severely mentally retarded Thai ladyboy would find beneath him/her.

DC understand cinéma. They understand kino. DC know how to build shade and light in a performance, how to engage the minds of true enlightened souls. DC have redefined not just superhero films, but the entire film industry itself.

Mentally challenged Marvel fanboys can only begin to grasp the tectonic shift in filmmaking that has been unleashed. Critics and reviewers fail to recognize a movie far ahead of its time once again, crying on their blogs about lack of snark and quipping - failing to recognize a literal masterpiece as it unfolds before them.

The public have responded. The entire filmmaking industry has been shaken to its core. DC have changed the game utterly - a new landscape is carved, a beauty is born, a God walks among men.

*teleports away*
>>
>>67718333
it's possible. no way to know for sure though
>>
>>67717385
He doesn't actually know those things.

And that's kind of the point, he is blinded by hate. Ironically, he is accusing Superman of one day become as disillusioned as he is. He knows that Superman's morality is his main weakness. One day he will want to take crack, want to vengeance, and due to his power we all suffer. He outright says this to Alfred. Something about "How many good guys are left after 20 years."

For Bruce it's a preemptive measure, until he finally realizes that Clark is just as "human" as anyone else, and Bruce is becoming part of the problem, by almost becoming the very thing he hates the most.
>>
>>67718276
the thing is, that nightmare is also the absolute nightmare he is afraid of. that very 1% he talks about

superman's sacrifice to defeat doomsday who also carries the meaning of fear absolves batman of fear and his ascension is complete by the end of the movie

of course, the dream could also be playing to ideas of visionary states and their connection to fate
>>
>>67718389
again, the movie reveals exactly what it wants to. i'm not referring to how the movie looks i'm referring to how information is deployed in the movie

i think the movie is both intra and extratextual and drawing from these ideas to connect some ideas i have about who's in the movie.
>>
>>67718578
I'm not sure you've actually answered anything in my post, yet still go on to make sweeping generalisations of imposed artistry.
>>
>>67718276
It's a moot point, he doesn't know if it's a nightmare, a parallel universe, an alternative timeline, or a vision. And neither does the audience.

Speedforce lol, fuck logic nigga.

I can't believe how much people nitpick surreal elements of this film, but give a pass to all regular capeshit tropes in this, and all these movies.
>>
>>67718467
something along the lines of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9-ixur-yWc

he has the *power*
he is not *our* *enemy*
20 years in gotham, we've seen what promises are worth. how many good guys are left? how many stayed that way
>>
>>67718276
>Again, how is self defence MORE valid than ending a dictatorship before it begins.

Let me paraphrase Dickens here:

"Spirit, these things you have shown me, are they the shades of things that will be or only the shades of what might be?"

And again, I bring us back around to the Flash. If it were as simple as "Kill Superman," that's all he would have had to say. He doesn't say that. If the Batman's half as smart as we're supposed to take for granted he is, that has to have occurred to him.
>>
>>67718854

A friend of mine is using that to propose that Robin became the joker.

And I'm not ruling it out.
>>
File: budget.png (282 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
budget.png
282 KB, 1280x720
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9naqwR9XnJk

JUST
>>
>>67718276
>You are retroactively imposing logic onto it

And I would contend that you're fighting uphill to retroactively rob it of what logic it has.
>>
>>67718854
Yea, plus I saw Zack Snyder outright state that Bruce knows if Superman falls, it's because of a moral conflict in a podcast.

I mean it makes sense, Bruce isn't just going to kill a guy he knows is good.

It's worse than that. He knows that one day Superman can become just like he is now, blinded by vengeance.
>>
>>67718924
Yep, I had the same idea. It would work really well. But it's a boat long gone. They missed the chance to use that as Bruce's motivation. I would have loved it though, Batman fearing that Superman will snap just like Robin has.
>>
>>67718687
i'm not imposing anything anon, the meaning of superman and batman's relationship is crystal clear
the movie in no way implies that bruce's vision is 100% true in relation to what he's going through at that moment in time
flash himself says he's too early, and if we connect both the dream and flash then it's fair to say it doesn't specifically apply to superman's meaning at that point in time

not exactly right but:
"there was a time before, when things were crystal clear"
clarity and obscurity is also played on in the movie

metropolis is a shining metropolis
gotham is a dark and grimy
>>
>>67719056
who cares senpai
>>
>>67718893
THANK YOU
the movie itself sometimes purposely leaves things as ambiguous and open ended
>>
>>67715437

No it fucking isn't. Pakistan has a massive nuclear arsenal.

Are we invading Pakistan on the notion that if there's a 1% chance they are our enemy we should treat it as an absolute certainty?

Stop defending shitty writing.
>>
>>67719056
You are arguing against a guy who is complaining a surreal element of film isn't as clear-cut as he wants it to be.

Just stop guys.
>>
>>67718998

Not as a motivation but more of a contribution. I have my fingers crossed because that would be fucking great.

Was there ever a comic arc of the same idea?
>>
>>67718924
>>67718998
it implies the world batman has lived in, it could also reference a certain person who had a fall from being a white knight...
>>
>>67719214
>Not as a motivation but more of a contribution.
That's what I meant.

>Was there ever a comic arc of the same idea?
I don't think so. They had something similar for Superman with Injustice. Joker kills Lane, and he snaps and becomes a tryrant, after he kills Joker.
>>
>>67718945
i'd say that's a sets up of redemption through brotherly love
superman being controlled and brought back by batman has happened in the comics all the time
we have to remember that all of what we're talking about is 'in the deck' so to speak
>>
What's up with everyone having a name? Are you samefagging? Because I cannot see if you're in the mobible version. Liked the movie desu, very good. People can't stand a mature look on superheroes
>>
>>67718893
Yes, Bruce can consider the vision a possibility while not thinking it's totally certain to happen (the whole 1% chance thing). The difference is how he acts on it. Like the other anon said, Lois coming into the picture at the end of the fight is also very important. Bruce begins to realize what the right path is, sure he could kill Superman and prevent the vision from coming true that way. Or he can save Superman's loved ones and take a more hopeful path.

So maybe it's a bit more logical to simply kill Superman, but the theme of Bruce's story is rising out of nihilism and despair, he can win AND take the more moral path.
>>
File: 1452986102804.gif (2 MB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
1452986102804.gif
2 MB, 500x390
>>67719339
OH GOD WHAT
>>
How does the movie compare to Man of Steel? I just watched it and thought it was a bit shit. Will I hate this?
>>
>>67718686
Adding the terms 'intra' and 'extra' textual, especially when used incorrectly serves not to enhance your stance, but detract from it.

You seem to be suggesting 'it's deliberately vague', ok.
That isn't remotely what's being discussed.

>>67718732
You can't understand how tropes of a genre get a free pass in a genre piece. Huh.

Also, this word surreal doesn't mean what you think it means.

Honestly, this wasn't even vague. 'Normies' I know called it 'that time travel bit' with no comic knowledge. It's not as vague or deep as you pretend it is. It's just bad.

>>67718893
Then bluntly, we can only infer the scene was lazy foreshadowing and sequel building. Even more so, this idea that it inspires hatred in Supes yet simultaneously is rejected in an instant is a lazy anticlimax
>>67718938
The only uphill struggle is contending with a combination of trolls and contrarians who'll defend any shit as good to avoid being mainstream.
This theory/issue for me formed AS I WATCHED so it's not retroactive.
>>67719056
You did it again.
>>67719198
>surreal
Don't use words whose meanings elude you.
>>
>>67719402
to add to what you're saying bruce also begins to hope again.
>>
>>67719339
April fools joke
>>
>>67719444
You probably will hate it. Sorry.
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 690x822) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 690x822
Snyder is an incomparable auteur, an artistic maverick.

Batman v Superman is the most powerful film I've seen since Idi i smotri. The most touching work of art since Au hasard Balthazar. The most pioneering cinema since Le Voyage dans la Lune.

it's capekino.
>>
>>67719448
>Don't use words whose meanings elude you.
Too bad the irony is lost on you. You are literally getting butthurt that the movie does not spell out one single interpretation for you. If only Batman had quipped about what it meant everything would have been fine.

top kek
>>
>>67719448
i used intra and extra to mean that the movie refers to both things inside and outside of itself
>this isn't 1938
>where does he go? he taps is shoes two times and goes back to kansas
>all the literary allusions
>all the movie and comic homages
>the acknowledgment of character history outside the movie

maybe i used the terms wrong, and ask for someone to give me more apt ones
>>
>>67719502

From what I've read it seems Snyder doesn't learn from criticism. Man of Steel was mostly let down by blasting through story and character development to get to the next plot point that unlocks the next huge sci-fi action scene.

It sounds like BvS has the exact same flaw.
>>
>>67714023
>>67714484
>>67715424
>he didn't get the Martha scene
>>
They shoehorned in a bunch of extra stuff just to set up Justice League.

The Flash dream was unneeded and messed with the pacing.

Wonder Women was just there to show you Wonder Women. She contributed very little to the final fight, she could have been the one to use the spear since she was there
>>
>>67719444
Probably. I hated man of steel and I thought this was crap apart from maybe 3 or 4 batman scenes.
>>
hmm
>>
>>67719448
>Then bluntly, we can only infer the scene was lazy foreshadowing and sequel building. Even more so, this idea that it inspires hatred in Supes yet simultaneously is rejected in an instant is a lazy anticlimax

You misunderstand. I'm saying that Bruce's course was set long before he even had the vision. It's the vision that actually makes him doubt it, most specifically what he hears from the Flash.
>>
>>67719589
I disagree, I think MoS was quite flawed, but for very different reasons. But if felt that way about MoS, you probably will about BvS too.
>>
>>67719448
also i'll add that it seems you think i'm pulling shit out of my ass
since i've seen it i've been adamant in the overt story it presents, and admit that what i'm posting here is speculation
all you're doing is saying no! with no real foundation cementing your position and doing away with others
>>
>>67718276
What? What movie did you see?
Flash did not make bat see anything. That was the real future, and I am not saying "a vision of the future". The movie literally made a jump.
It wasn't presented as a dream, or anything, that's just your guess.

And batman does NOT know ANYTHING about the flash, or what he can do. He probably just feels weird, but for sure he can't confirm that was the future, a premonition, whatever. Yeah, he probably feels like he experienced a dream.

What I am trying to say is that bats DOES NOT AND CANNOT think he saw the future and therefore assume superman WILL, for sure, turn evil, in which case, like you said, he'd have to kill superman and if he didn't because >martha, would be stupid. But this is NOT THE CASE.

I explained to you (which you said you already knew...) what happened:
That was the real future, the flash timetraveled to prevent it and when he did, bats caught a glimpse of his life there: his death. That's all.
He does not know it happened, or that it was prevented by flash. To me, that was interesting, but the "relevant" thing here related to bats deciding to not kill superman, is the phrase "lois lane is the key".
>>
>>67719614
>The Flash dream was unneeded and messed with the pacing.
It's there to underscore Bruce's paranoia. It gives credence to his outlook and actions.
>>
>>67719614
Don't bother, they know.
>>67719605
>>67719559
>2Deep4u
The BvSDoJ Godwin.
I'm out, enjoy your mess of a movie.
>>
>>67707593
Those things are parroted because they're true.

It has bad pacing, poor themes, bad editing (thanks WB), shitty emo Superman, MARTHA, joker-Lex Luthor, stupid writing (thanks for throwing that Lois, now go get it) and crammed cameos.

I'm holding out hope for a fan-edit that doesn't suck. Also Batman was good.
>>
>>67719605
It's so sad.
>>
>>67719614
>The Flash dream was unneeded and messed with the pacing.
frankly, how would you feel if that shit happened irl?
>>
>>67714023
>>67714484
>>67715424
It is sad that there are people stupid enough to not understand a SUPERHERO MOVIE.

Seriously, how can you not understand Batman's motivations to fighting Superman, which were hamfisted through the movie before the Flash even appeared?
And how can you not understand the Martha scene?

I'm not saying the movie was deep or hard to understand but it seems that you people are genuinely pretending to not understand the movie. The other alternative would be that you guys can't understand capeshit, which is too sad to be true.
>>
>>67719614
lmao what
this movie is a 2.5hours trailer of the flash
AND IT WAS AMAZING
>>
>>67719707
staph, we already tried, let it go
>>
>>67719707
>thing here related to bats deciding to not kill superman, is the phrase "lois lane is the key".
if i remember right he starts saying he's too early after which he starts saying lois lane is the key, again affirming your point that the action batman committed to maintains its meaning
>>
>>67719748
confused. I don't know anyone named Lois
>>
Man of Steel and Superman v Batman both remind me of the last two awful Spiderman movies which were created entirely to set up a Sinister Six movie that nobody asked for and nobody was interested in.

Rather than compete with Marvel DC have decided to just do the exact same thing. They made all these movies, then they brought them all together for the Avengers. LET'S JUST DO THAT!

They easily could have made outstanding Superman and Batman films and maybe even some other DC characters in standalone movies - and sure they can cross paths if need be - but creating the movies JUST to sell a later movie is so retarded only a CEO could have thought it up.

All of the movies leading up to Justice League suffer as a result of the blatant shilling taking priority over making a decent fucking film, to the point that by the time Justice League is out we'll be so fatigued by shit movies nobody will want to see it.
>>
>>67719848
i'm referring to your pacing comment.
how would you feel if in real life all of a sudden you're presented with a visionary experience that feels as real as anything you've experienced, only to wake up suddenly
>>
>>67719912
>IRL has pacing
>>
>>67719851
>we'll be so fatigued by shit movies
No one is fatigued by Marvel movies, though, and 9/10 of them are shit.

The actual problem with BvS was that they took material for two or three movies and crammed into one 2,5 hours movie.

And the fact that there is no "let's meet up and chat exposition with each other so the audience can clearly understand" and there was no "let me put my hand in my earpiece so my team mate can drop exposition to the audience" scene like there are in Marvel movies.

This is obvious because most of people who hate the movie, hate it for not understanding basic character motivations, which are explained in the movie but not in a "I'm gonna do this, this and that" way.
>>
>>67707538
This is the worst mene to justify this movie. Disney has no reason to do this
>>
>>67707521
>what was wrong with it?

MAAAARTHAAA!!
>>
>>67719773
brah i've been saying the same shit

not defending the movie or trying to comment on it's elusive object quality. it's overt with what it says to the extreme
>>
>>67720011
this, I argued for an hour that Batman has a character arc in the film, not whether it was good or bad, just that it was there and i pointed to everything Snyder did visually as my evidence, the only response i got back was "it wasn't clear enough"
>>
>>67720011

Iron Man 1 and 3 are both great. Avengers 1 was great, 2 was ok. Captain America 1 and 2 both great. Thor 1 great, 2 not so good.

The only shit Marvel movies are the Spiderman ones and the Hulk ones.

They've done pretty well considering they've made so many.

DC are getting to be embarrassing at this point. How they've managed to fuck up Batman is beyond me.
>>
It was boring as fuck and nothing was really accomplished.
>>
>>67720118
Weak bait
>>
>>67719987
jesus dude i'm saying that it would be jarring as fuck. life itself has a flow and things that are unexpected cause arousal in a primal sense
i'm speculating that maybe the way the dream scene is presented plays with that
i mean goddamn bruce's bat dream is a goddamn jump scare
>>
>>67720011
Just for the sake of curiosity, why do you assume that even professional critics are drooling retards who need spoon feeding? Why is it that you feel only you Apologists are smart enough to 'get it'?
>>
>>67720118
>Iron Man 3
>Cap 1
>Ultron
>Thor movies

Wow. Wow. Wow. Now that is some really fucking bad taste.
Or bait. I don't know anymore.
>>
>>67720025
not the same guy, but they did. Disney doesn't want to share a market with DC who have better know characters that sell well, other than Spiderman who they just got. I don't think Disney did that, but i wouldn't fully put it past them when you consider how retarded the reviews are. It doesn't take much to get people joining in on a bandwagon.

The movie easily gets much more hate than it deserves
>>
>>67720011
>And the fact that there is no "let's meet up and chat exposition with each other so the audience can clearly understand" and there was no "let me put my hand in my earpiece so my team mate can drop exposition to the audience" scene like there are in Marvel movies.

THE CHARACTERS SAY EXACTLY WHAT THEY'RE THINKING AT EVERY TURN IN THE MOVIE
>>
>>67720176

Holy shit that's a great name.
>>
>>67720173
Fuck off, you're a Bad Wolf.
>>
>>67712966
Tits or gtfo
>>
File: 1446097610956.png (134 KB, 600x601) Image search: [Google]
1446097610956.png
134 KB, 600x601
>>67720118
>>
>>67720096
Tell more of this arc.
>>
>>67720176
Not at all, everyone is smart enough to get it. That's the confusion, it's all on the nose but almost no critics mentioned the themes, instead saying it's "not fun". Mark Kermode did a good negative review, he acknowledged the themes and explained why he thought they didn't work.

We're not saying 2deep4u, just that we should discuss the themes that are there rather than arguing if they exist or not. To me they seem to blatant that I don't get passing over them.
>>
>>67720205
>The movie easily gets much more hate than it deserves
i've never claimed to defend the movie since i've seen it but this was absolutely firm to me while i was walking out
i'm not saying it's best thing ever! 10/10! capekino! i will say that i think it goes places superhero movies have never gone before, especially with it's fantastical elements. to reiterate again, i'm not commenting on quality or profoundness
>>
>>67720118
Quality post my friend. Thanks for not b8ing
>>
>>67720176
>henrietta riddle
>henry had a riddle
>Henry had a viddle
>henry Cav a viddle
>Henry Cavill
>>
>>67720176
They missed a lot of points in the movie, their criticism mostly comes from "why does this happen?" when it is explained in the movie.
This isn't an Icelander movie about sheeps that makes a commentary about Icelandic society and Europe's situation in a very subtle way.
This is a Superhero movie with hamfisted imagery, allegories and symbolism.

I am not saying that people SHOULD like this movie, but people are hating the movie for all the wrong reasons.

Lex outright states his intentions in every single scene he is in, yet many critics were wondering what were Lex's intentions because "the movie didn't made it clear".

And "professional critics" means shit, I don't know if you know.
>>
>>67720176
When a critic writes "It's not as fun as Marvel movie," they are pretty easy to dismiss.
>>
>>67720176
Because they went into this expecting a fun popcorn flick and got smacked in the face with themes that they weren't expecting to see in a cape flick and therefore overlooked them entirely. Even two movies in, they're still looking for Christopher Reeve.
>>
>>67720325
>absolutely firm to me
what does she mean by this?
>>
>>67707521
>>67707537
>>67707538
>>67707559
>>67707562
>>67707585
>>67707593
>>67707638
>>67707682
>>67707683
>>67707838
All samefagged. Check the name.
>>
what did luthor hope to accomplish by unleashing doomsday
>>
>>67720348
>And "professional critics" means shit, I don't know if you know.
them, along with this site revealed themselves for what they are to me
>>
Normies dont know purekino when they see it, a decade from now bvs will be a case study for how corrupt journalism truley is
>>
>>67720414
Luthor said "Here's your doomsday". So what do you think?
>>
File: image.jpg (354 KB, 1372x1211) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
354 KB, 1372x1211
What was Snyder trying to tell us here?
>>
>>67720361
>>67720348
>>67720311
>>67720382

So your contention is that the criticism 'it's not fun' is invalid (unless you discuss themes) and that comparing movies of the same genre or even older versions of the same franchise is also invalid? Am I about right?
>>
>>67720509
That he's the hero capeshit deserves. And so we'll hate him.
>>
>>67707521
Only "critics" are giving it a bad score. People who already watched it gave the movie more higher scores, even in comparison with Marvel movies.
>>
>>67720543
Superhero movie is not a genre.
>>
>>67720293
>batman sees the destruction of metropolis
>tries to save as many as he can but ultimately fails
>sees a kryptonian did it
>blames all of them
>the juxtaposition of the death of his parents reflect how he feels
>he's powerless to stop the death again
>he begins to become ruthless
>starts branding sex offenders and pedos
>prisoners catch on and kill those men
>he sets out to kill the Superman
>when he hears Martha he stops, confused
>Lois runs in the way and clarifies who martha is
>realizes how human superman really is
>what am i doing with my life.jpg
>saves martha and kills KGBeast
>after Superman dies he wants to "do right" by him
>visit Lex with the bat brand
>punches the wall instead of symbolically killing Lex
>>
>>67720543
When all you can say about a movie is that "it's not fun", yeah, it is not valid.
And then, like I said, the critics complained about the plot, the characters, with points that were made in the movie, that were explained, which only shows how they didn't understand shit and got angry because of that.

And "superhero" is not a genre.
>>
>>67715921
Did you see Age of Ultron? Marvel may have started their universe off a lot slower and steadier but by that movie they were trying so hard to shoehorn in set-ups for future films that the movie itself ultimately suffered as a result. Now I appreciate DC/WB's attempt at a different kind of capeshit, and I did like a lot of things about this movie. But one of the things that I didn't like was how WW and the JL were forced in to set up the JL movie. Call it what you will, but I cannot see that move as anything other than a desperate attempt to catch up to Marvel. This was originally a MoS sequel, then it became BvS, then it became BvS: Dawn of Franchise.

WW's role in the movie was non-existent. She steals Bruce's hacking drive but returns it the next day because she can't decrypt it, making her theft of it pointless to the plot of the movie other than to introduce her character. Her character then does nothing until the final fight, and even then she's only there to make the fight last ten minutes longer. They could've easily shortened things after Supes and Doomsday get nuked and just had Batman and Supes work together to accomplish the ultimate goal of Supes sacrificing himself.

I did like the Flash vision, though. That's a cryptic, interesting way to set up things to come. As opposed to writing in a pointless character and shooting comical security camera scenes of the JL.
>>
I thought it was great desu, much better than Man of Steel.

Then again I love when my superheros get all edgy and shit, and really enjoyed the theme of angels and demons throughout the movie.
>>
>>67720509
I noticed they were bringing up God even more than Captain America
>>
>>67720414
Luthor wants power, earlier on he says knowledge without power is a tragedy. This is highlighted by the fact that he's supporting a library with that charity event and his mention of prometheus who stole the gods' knowledge of fire. He resents his father who had power over him. He resents Superman for making him feel powerless. Unleashing doomsday is obviously a ploy to kill Superman, but it's also Luthor's way of having power over Superman. In that way, Doomsday represents all the fear and anger people feel towards Supes. There's also the theme of satanic blood rituals in Doomsday's creation which paints Luthor as Superman's opposite, since Superman is explicitly compared to jesus.

>>67720543
Not invalid, since it makes sense that someone wanting to see a movie similar to others in the genre would be dissapointed. The critics have reasons for their opinions, but I'm saying that meant they overlooked the movie's good qualities just because it's very different.
>>
>>67720543
not any of those guys but how is "it's not fun" valid in the first place?

even then, i think a lot of those guys also praise batman scenes for being precisely that
>>
>>67720658
anyone have a jpg of the meme connection to respond to this?
>>
>>67719197
Pakistan isn't even close to do as much damage as supes can
>>
>>67720708
I liked the Batman scenes because they're pretty brutal, specially comparing to other capeshit.
I liked the Winter Soldier, but the fighting scenes while they there cool and all were just "playing it safe".

Batman is pretty badass in the movie and that is a new take I like.
>>
>>67720581
Interesting, continue. What genre are we dealing with then?
>>67720627
Ok, so we're back to 'they're stupid'.
If 'not fun' is invalid as a criticism, then you assert it WAS fun. But I'm confused, was it fun or was it a deconstruction of the genre?
>>67720703
You at least seem reasonable.
>>67720708
Ummmm, well if something isn't fun and you say so....?
>>
>>67720816
Action Sci-Fi.
>>
>>67719725
>Oh shit he is making a point
> LALALALALALALA TOO INTELLIGENT NOT HEARING YOU
you sure showed him anon
>>
>>67720543
I would say that considering this in the same vein as other superhero movies is an unfair comparison, Ir's got a lot more common with something like sci-fi/fantasy with a heaping helping of action.I mention sci-fi because of its long history of creating interesting "what ifs?"

Two of the the central themes being, "What would it be like to live with the powers of a god?" with the other being "What would it be like to share a world where godlike beings walked among you?"

Everyone else keeps citing "The Dark Knight Returns" as source material, but I think there's a good dose of another story arc in this as well - "Kingdom Come."
>>
>>67720816
>You at least seem reasonable.
Well, there you go. Can we agree that most critics overlooked a lot of the themes because it's not the movie they expected? It's not about it being 2deep4u, I just think that's what happened with the critics.

Like I said earlier, Mark Kermode gave it a negative review but he was fair and mentioned what the movie was actually about. That's a good review.
>>
>>67720708
Batman kicking as and actually moving like Batman was indeed, pretty fun.

Personally, I'm likening this movie to the theatrical release of Blade Runner. Yeah, I GET IT, but why did you do all that stupid bullshit?
>>
>>67720603
Additionally - Wayne lost faith in himself by not saving Robin. His self esteem has taken too much punishment and he's lost his way.
>>
>>67721061
that too, but i left it out because it was very vague and we aren't sure when that even happened. There's a rumor that a Robin death knightmare was cut
>>
>>67720816
With "not fun" they are only criticizing their expectations for the movie.
They are not talking about the plot, the characters, the photography, the soundtrack, the composition, the editing, the pacing, the themes.
The only thing they talk about when they say "not fun" is just their expectations for the movie not being met.

I liked Macbeth, it is not a "fun" movie, I did not expect it to be a "fun movie".
They expected BvS to be a fun movie because "they're superheroes".

A good review is one where the reviewer actually talk about the movie, not "his expectations", not "his feelings".
I am not saying that the person should like the movie regardless, I'm saying that if the person is going to bash on the movie, bash it for the right reasons.

And stop strawmanning, I didn't say it was fun or a deconstruction of the genre.
>>
>>67721118
>they are only criticizing their expectations for the movie
fucking this
I went in expecting a political thriller follow up to MoS and an extremely brutal Batman, i really enjoied it
>>
>>67720795
>>67720816
my point is that no movie is all fun 100% of the time, yet the blast bvs for not being that, even when there are bits of fun all over the place
even the no humor part, alfred says funny shit all the time you don't even have to think it's funny, its just completely bizarre that they don't acknowledge these things while making sweeping generalizations.
it's as if we were both looking at wall and you say, oh this wall is all one certain color, and i say well nah see right there this this fucking noticeable splatter right there dude. no the whole wall is one color
i'll summarize it even further
>the painting sucks because it has no color
>there's actually color there, it may not be well done or executed well but it's glaringly there
>>
>>67721118
>>67721161
i do notice everyone who says they went a second time, said it was much more enjoyable
>>
>>67721118
Well said.
>>
>>67720956
Honestly I think you're too reasonable to be here. Be more polarised and abrasive.
>>67720944
>>67720885
>You can't compare this movie about super heroes to other movies about super heroes
One question.
Why not?
>>67721118
Perhaps then the issue was managing expectations. Would you say the trailers reflect the film's tone?
>>67721164
Do you want a review or a frame by frame analysis?
>>
also i'd like to point out that there's weird shit going on here, on twitter, and youtube and i think it's connected to bvs
>>
>>67721338
What is today, Kim?
>>
It was alright
>>
>>67707521
It's not that it's bad, per se, but there is little that is good. Laurence Fishburne gave the best performance ffs, followed by Gal Gadot. Assleck doesn't do a bad job, he's competent but doesn't stand out. I like the direction they took Lex, making him more like Zuckerberg. But again, I don't think Eisenberg did a great job, just good enough. Now you take in some terrible plot points (namely the titled fight that is over before it ever starts, or the fact that Lex creates Doomsday to be unstoppable but never even pretends he will be able to control it or order it) it all adds up to a pretty underwhelming experience after years of anticipation

TL;DR it is only a decent movie when it has no right to be anything less than a 7/10
>>
File: 1459055329657.jpg (406 KB, 1411x1562) Image search: [Google]
1459055329657.jpg
406 KB, 1411x1562
>>67721164
>>67721118
these
>>
>>67721312
Yes, the trailers reflect the film's tone.
I don't know why would people expect the movie to be lighter when the trailer and the previous movie in the franchise already stated, clearly, that is wasn't a light movie.
>>
>>67721312

>You can't compare this movie about super heroes to other movies about super heroes

Because super-hero shit is just a setting. You can do whatever you want with it. Take Blade. Blade is a superhero. Or Unbreakable. That's about a superhero. Constantine was about a superhero of sorts. Kick-Ass too.

>Would you say the trailers reflect the film's tone?

The first trailers did.
>>
>>67721312
>Do you want a review or a frame by frame analysis?
no anon, what i'm saying is that there is a fundamental disconnect between the movie and the critical response to it

throughout this thread people are seeing different angles in which it doesn't make sense, and NONE of us trying to defend the movie in any way
>>
>>67721312
The trailer did not properly show the tone, not the same guy, you're right. It had light heartedness and a couple quips thrown in
>>
>>67721312
You can, but don't pretend they are the same genre. Especially when DC films have quite a different tone and genres to Marvel films, which almost always can be classified as comedies.

You wouldn't compare Unbreakable to Guardians of Reddit for example, if you were honest at least.

Also, letting your viewpoint to be influenced movies from a different genre just because they share elements and then deriding others for not having those elements, is dumb as fuck.
>>
>>67721338

Kim, stop doing drugs. It's not good for you.
>>
>>67721215
I can vouch for this as well. I'm going to repost something from another thread here to illustrate part of what I'm talking about.

From >>67716668

>Take it a level deeper. Humanity very much wants him to *be* a god figure. He doesn't think that's his role and neither did Jor-El.

>If you'll forgive me a brief bout of pretentiousness, one might go so far as to try to make the case that Snyder, through all the ham-fisted imagery, is attempting to repackage in visual terms the fact that the very environment conspires to make Clark into a god, despite all his efforts to be perceived as just a man. It is, after all, simply by virtue of being on earth that Supes(and other Kryptonians) are so godlike in the first place.

>In short, the film-maker might not be identifying him as a god; he might just be reminding us that that's the perception that Clark is struggling against.

I didn't even consider that on my first viewing, and admittedly, that could just me being a complete nut, but once it occurred to me, I've yet to be able shake that feeling.
>>
>>67721118
But muh quips.

I want quips.
>>
>>67721483

Only the Doomsday trailer had quips.
>>
>>67721408
>Amerifatties still think 9/11 was a significant tragedy
>>
>>67721544
What quips?
>>
>>67721544
that was the worst trailer they could have made. Doomsday might have worked better as a surprise
>>
>>67721577

Doomsday was quipping like a motherfucker in the trailer. He was doing a reverse Ultron.
>>
>>67721544
Not enough quips per minute though. Gif more quips. Where Iron Quip? Where Meme Lord? Where Silly Racoon? Where Autista?
>>
>>67721380
are you ready to admit that snyder and co fucking planned this?
>good friday
>easter
>april fools
>joker guy on twitter
>other shit on twitter, stuff referring to the movie days after the release of the movie, the movie itself takes place in the same amount of time we've had after man of steel
>fucking youtube is overtly spoiling the movie while in the same sentence saying they won't spoil it, all while drawing attention to the fucking banner explaining this
>i had a bunch of shit spoiled and was surprised by what i saw
>>
>>67721653
>Autista

Lost it. 10/10
>>
>>67721498
shieetttttt was about to drop a don quixote comment too

gee i wonder if that shit will be in dceu
>>
>>67721414
See, to me most of the trailers sold a romp with a dark pallette.
>>67721451
So by your logic we can't compare TnG with BSG, because space and shit is just a setting...?
>>67721461
I'm not really seeing that fundamental disconnect you speak of. Is it just that the way they dislike it is bad?
>>67721486
But Anon, that's what critcs do. X worked in A because blah but X doesn't work in B because blah.
>>
>>67721684
>you
>admit
Kara, get on your meds, no one is WBluminati here
>>
File: ALLMESSEDUP.jpg (52 KB, 308x354) Image search: [Google]
ALLMESSEDUP.jpg
52 KB, 308x354
>>67721653

I love the MCU quips, but the fact that all the character quips worries me. I mean, take Spider-Man. The dude is the ULTIMATE QUIPPER. That's made him stand out from most of the other Marvel's heroes. But now he'll be just another quipper in a team of quippers.

Quipping is lose all it's appeal. When everybody is John McClane, nobody is John McClane.
>>
>>67721844
Here's one for you - how about "The Incredibles" and "The Dark Knight?"

Do we judge those to the same standards and expectations?
>>
>>67721684
>>67721732
wellll fuckkk it
fuck it imma bust a load i've been saving

they're going full hypercrisis
>people have been talking about this shit for years
>morrison working magicks to make heroes real
>the idea that there's a bunch of crazy people online who sound like they have apophenia
>the movies don't shy away from product placement, thereby signaling a subconscious connection to the real world
>the movie is meta as hell
>the climax of the movie explicitly affirms the ideals of the movie for us real people just as much as for the people within the movie universe
>>
>>67721844

>See, to me most of the trailers sold a romp with a dark pallette.

Does this look like a goddamn romp to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWzgGyAH6Y
>>
>>67721967
The movie also features several real-life pundits discussing the events of the movie, as well as the movies themes.

The meta has gone too far.
>>
>>67721844
>But Anon, that's what critcs do. X worked in A because blah but X doesn't work in B because blah.

Then compare those elements, rathar than whining it's not like a different movie you watched.

No movie is under obligation to meet personal preferences instilled by other works.

And let's be honest, the comparison only exists because both companies deal with iconic comic book characters, and Marvel has created such a stamp on superhero movies all other types are resisted on sight.
>>
>>67714314
We all know Rotten Tomatoes hates DC movies and anything Warner Brothers puts out.
>>
File: 1398728996097.jpg (108 KB, 316x799) Image search: [Google]
1398728996097.jpg
108 KB, 316x799
>>67721967

>they're going full hypercrisis

That's crazy talk, Wesley. I'm going to message your mom
>>
>>67721844
>I'm not really seeing that fundamental disconnect you speak of. Is it just that the way they dislike it is bad?
i keep fucking saying that i'm not putting any value placement at all,
back to an above comment, it's like people don't acknowledge what you know you see
>wbilluminati paranoid comments i'm fucking getting
>since i saw the movie i'm the only one pushing the doomsday scene erasure of figurative and literal lines
>>
>>67722008
WTF was that show at 2:28??
>>
intro 10/10
>>
>>67722040
brah are you a casual dude lurkin or wbilluminati trying to feign agreement with me to try to push me down a certain path
>>67722075
....there always was a certain comic with certain moments, one most of all within the batman rip story that always stuck with me.......
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.