[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tarkovsky
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (129 KB, 1256x919) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129 KB, 1256x919
Greatest director of all time or talentless hack?
>>
>>67698268
Both
>>
>manlet
Sorry I just can't take anyone under 5'11 seriously.
>>
have you actually watched all his movies?
people who call him a hack haven't seen any of his movies and haven't even entered entry level
>>
>>67699916
lol, Bresson was 5'10". So close.
>>
File: when will they ever learn.jpg (161 KB, 1280x932) Image search: [Google]
when will they ever learn.jpg
161 KB, 1280x932
>>67699943
I've seen them. He's definitely a hack.

>>67699916
>>
>superlatives
why does everyone think art is a competition
>>
Watch this thread die around 10 posts in while there will be 7 different BvS threads on the front page.
>>
File: 1457906075611.jpg (606 KB, 1952x1744) Image search: [Google]
1457906075611.jpg
606 KB, 1952x1744
definite hack
>>
Zack Snyder of his time
>>
>>67699998
give a review of andrei rublev if that's true
>>
he's ok but he can't compare to capekino
>>
>>67700114

i love this meme.
>>
>>67700114
There's some nice things in that image. You can't just sprinkle in some actual shit stuff and pretend your image isn't retarded.
>>
File: 1401194354173.png (396 KB, 797x444) Image search: [Google]
1401194354173.png
396 KB, 797x444
>it's a /tv/ shitposts all day episode
>>
>>67698268
I've only seen Rublev, saw it for the first time less than 2 weeks ago... I thought it was great. I really wish I hadn't been spoiled about the ending (the bell). I read a synopsis... bad move.

It's my favorite film of 1966 now, even though The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was in my 3x3 at one point:

My current '66 rankings:
Andrei Rublev
Au Hasard Balthazar
A Man for All Seasons
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Grand Prix
Tokyo Drifter
Return of the Magnificent Seven
>>
>>67700129
A biography of Russia's greatest icon painter where he never even puts brush to plaster, where the climactic artistic achievement in the film is not even his, where he is tormented by the memories of his mentor and some crazy homeless girl that he sort of adopts
About as deep as the milk puddles that Tarkovsky loves to shoot in his every film
>>
>>67700262
Where's Batman v Superman?
>>
>>67700290
>A biography
Stopped reading right there.
Just kidding, I wish I had though. Boy was that a bad one.
>>
>>67700313
>'66
>>
>>67700327
>no argument
Average Tarkfag
>>
>>67700290
eh great film
you're right that it's a shit biography but it didn't even pretend to be one which is better than I can say about biopics. I don't think I've ever seen one that was near accurate, unless it was a documentary (please recommend actually accurate and good non-documentary-style biopics if you can). I see it as Tarkovsky displaying what he saw in the paintings, then showing the paintings.
>>
>>67700290
What do you consider to be a deep movie?
>>
>>67700376
>I see it as Tarkovsky displaying what he saw in the paintings,
Please remind me of that Rublev painting where a bunch of Turks raped and massacred a Russian village
>>
>>67700420
Well Tarkovsky's film really made me look at ALL paintings in a new way... made me feel stupid for trying to look into the painting instead of into the painter, which is far more interesting. When I think of how powerful dreams are, but how difficult it is to express them, I realize how the most intense experiences can be the most difficult to communicate. We can see the work as a midpoint between us and where the other person is, rather than just trying to get to the work. The bell is not shown for its ornamentation, or as some "great work" by some "great artist", what is really highlighted is what's going on in the boy's soul.

The minds of great artists can be far more interesting than what they are able to produce—we can try imagining what led them to make what they did. Rublev's paintings do not impress me nearly as much as van Eyck's or Holbein the Younger, but if I paint in my mind the best possible version of what Rublev is trying to do, it is more edifying than just critiquing craft. That's what I enjoyed most realizing with the aid of the film.
>>
File: the pest cinematography .jpg (484 KB, 1920x1062) Image search: [Google]
the pest cinematography .jpg
484 KB, 1920x1062
>>67698268
He certainly was gifted

pic related is his greatest work
>>
>>67700684
Now THAT'S deep
>>
File: mirror1.jpg (96 KB, 950x425) Image search: [Google]
mirror1.jpg
96 KB, 950x425
>>67700684
quality post

would like to see you guys tackle pic related. took me awhile to find my own words for it, interested in others
>>
Marketa Lazarova >>>>>>>> Andrei Shitlev
>>
>>67702021
>Marketa Lazarova
I'll check it out soon
>>
>>67700114
true things in this image
>utorrent
>enemies of cinema
>tpb
>464 films/letterboxd
>imdb
>nerdwriter
>vlc
>brows held high
>TSPDT
>Blackhat
The rest is arguable
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.