[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
American Beauty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: last ned.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
last ned.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
holy shit i've been missing out. never really bothered to see this movie because i thought it'd just be another ordinary movie with the same plot as every other movie - but fuck i was wrong. what do you guys think about it? and do you recommend any movies like this? doesn't have to be about sex, just the same "type" of movie...if you get what i mean.

and no, this is n o t bait, i did really enjoy it.
>>
no one?
>>
>>67694789
It's a good movie. But it's old and nobody cares. this is 4chan
>>
File: 1430502993623.gif (2 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1430502993623.gif
2 MB, 300x300
>>67694789
old news pal, but this movie is indeed kino

deconstruction of american dream with existential themes? i dunno, check out synecdoche new york or something.. maybe even fight club
>>
>>67694789
This is so of it's time, it's awful.
>>
falling down
watch that move, nigga
>>
Too busy watching James Bond marathon desu
>>
>>67695510
sry i'm late to the show, haven't really been interested in movies until 1-2 years ago.
>>67695517
thanks, will check it out. have seen fight club. loved it /reddit/
>>67695582
thanks, will do
>>
>>67694789
So many people I know that shit on American Beauty, it's a genuinely good movie. I'm not even American.
>>
>>67694789
Same, I always thought this movie a lame romance movie or something. Watched it out of curiosity on Netflix and holy fuck what an amazing movie.
>>
>>67694789
Pretty good movie, although I don't think it's as great as many hail it to be.
>>
>>67695614
yeah i'm norwegian, seems like mostly americans dislike it
>>67695616
^
>>67695641
i ain't got that much to compare it with though, good in it's genre i think. haven't really seen a lot of movies, always just been into music stuff. didn't really get an interest in movies until my dad made me watch american history x a few years ago
>>
I remember when I first watched it at 14 and it completely blew my mind. Up until that point I had only watched shitty films, maybe the odd good one but nothing that had as much as an impact on me as American Beauty did. Still love it today too.
>>
>>67694789
Saw it for the time as a sophomore in high school and thought it was so damn good, like God tier

Now it's pretty fucking meh
>>
>>67695718
i'm 19 and late to the party, but i will definitely rewatch it around summer.
>>67695741
yah i understand, u've probably seen so many great movies by now that drags it down. any tips from the same mood in the movie?
>>
Maybe try Magnolia, or The Graduate, or maybe even Eyes Wide Shut. Donnie Darko has the same kind of feel in my personal opinion, if you haven't seen that yet. Could even go with Lost In Translation or Being John Malkovich, Mulholland Dr. or Babel.
>>
>>67696012
thanks dude, will check all of them out.
>>
It's a great movie. It's a pretty legit deconstruction of suburban life.
>>
>>67696111
I hope you enjoy them!
>>
>>67695582
hard to believe Joel Schumacher directed that. even harder to believe he followed this movie with batman forever.
>>
http://youtu.be/J7oy1pY8PlU
>>
>>67696364
hahah i've actually seen/heard this. made me laugh, still love the movie though
>>
>because i thought it'd just be another ordinary movie

But, it is.
>>
>>67696416
not for me though...
>>
>>67695741
This, it's very "writery", could've used another draft
>>
>>67694789
Always loved that it was called american beauty when its basically about how bullshit everyone is and the 2 guys being themselves and doing right are labelled as creepy and insane.
>>
>>67695777
Synecdoche, New York
>>
>I had always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the second before you die. First of all, that one second isn't a second at all, it stretches on forever, like an ocean of time... For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching falling stars... And yellow leaves, from the maple trees, that lined my street... Or my grandmother's hands, and the way her skin seemed like paper... And the first time I saw my cousin Tony's brand new Firebird... And Janie... And Janie... And... Carolyn. I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday.

Too bad the writer went on to create that shitty show True Blood, what a waste of talent.
>>
>>67697041
It's a pretty empty nonsense statement if you think about it for a second, fairly well written I suppose
>>
i'd say it's in my top 3 most overrated movies of all time along with garden state and eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.
>>
>>67697910
What's your top 3 underrated?
>>
>>67694789
its interesting that this movie, office space and fight club all came out in the same year considering they share such similarities
>>
Annette Benning was really good as the fuck-up mom. Friend's mom was just like her it was scary.
>>
>>67698110
jurassic park 2, neverending story 2 and spiderman 3.
>>
>>67698213
Yeah she did great
>>
Yeah, it's not very good
>>
Entry level kino
>>
I liked the music
>>
File: 1450533847103s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1450533847103s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>67696012
Good taste anon
>>
>>67696012
magnolia fucking sucks, but i can see why you'd bring it up.
>>
>>67697910
>putting eternal sunshine next to garden state

just fuck off and never come back. Gondry is a genius
>>
>>67698255
>Spiderman 3
My brethren
>>
>>67696012
Seconding Magnolia and Donnie Darko.

Fargo (movie)
Lawn Dogs
Amelie
>>
File: american_beauty_mena_suvari[1].jpg (418 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
american_beauty_mena_suvari[1].jpg
418 KB, 1920x1080
Fight Club, Falling Down and Office Space covered pretty much the same themes, but i feel like american beauty was the only one that truly succeeded in concluding the narrative

the point is not to be hateful and destructive towards mainstream society, instead you should politely reject the aspects you disagree with and constantly strive to improve and enjoy yourself

it's beautiful to see how spacey's character steamrolls every argument with his wife simply by not giving a fuck. he doesn't threaten and he doesn't feel threatened, basically the embodiment of a masculine and righteous man everyone wants to be

the decision to reject sex at the end showed how the guy had truly become a better person in every way and how fulfilled he was. the movie is unironically nature of man - tier kino
>>
>>67694789
It's a good movie, very kino.
>>
>>67699585
It thought he rejected sex because she was a virgin.
Like he realised how much he put her up in his mind but realised she was just a bratty teenager at the end killed his boner
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.