[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Walter right to think Elliot cheated him out of a fortune?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: breaking bad2.jpg (40 KB, 570x321) Image search: [Google]
breaking bad2.jpg
40 KB, 570x321
Was Walter right to think Elliot cheated him out of a fortune?
>>
No, Elliot cucked him which is why he quit.
>>
>>67692167

http://www.slashfilm.com/breaking-bad-grey-matter/

>As it turns out, though, we only got Walt’s half of the story. “Most viewers of Breaking Bad assume Gretchen and Elliott are the bad guys, and they assume that Walt got ripped off by them, got ill used by them, and I never actually saw it that way,” Gilligan told The Huffington Post. The situation is a lot more nuanced than that:

>I think it was kind of situation where he didn’t realize the girl he was about to marry was so very wealthy and came from such a prominent family, and it kind of blew his mind and made him feel inferior and he overreacted. He just kind of checked out. I think there is that whole other side to the story, and it can be gleaned. This isn’t really the CliffsNotes version so much. These facts can be gleaned if you watch some of these scenes really closely enough, and you watch them without too much of an overriding bias toward Walt and against Gretchen and Elliott.

>Peter Gould, a Breaking Bad writer and executive producer who went on to become the co-creator of Better Call Saul, added his own thoughts on the Breaking Bad Grey Matter mystery:

>I think the interesting thing is not exactly what happened but the fact that Walt hasn’t let it go over all these years. He has no perspective on himself. He gets to the point where all he can really do is try to justify everything that he’s done.
>>
>>67692229
>you leave a girl because you find out she's rich

BRAVO VINCE

this is worse than the meth nazi final boss.
>>
>>67692167
Fuck no, Walt purposefully shut himself out of the fortune out of a weird mix of pride and self loathing
>>
>>67692276

Stick to capeshit, you fucking idiot
>>
>>67692276
Nah, he was more like a gimmicky post-game bonus boss.
>>
>>67692276
It's almost exactly what Walt does when they offer him a job to pay for his treatments. It's almost like Walt is a proud, flawed character.
>>
>>67692229
I never assumed they were bad guys, just that Walt chose to disconnect himself from these two because of a personal falling out that cost him his big chance with the company they founded. That makes sense for pre-cancer Walt but doesn't really imply anything about them.
The only other angle I ever imagined was >>67692220 which I thought was what happened between them, but it was still Walt's choice to cash out his share and he seemed painfully aware of that.
>>
>>67692461
face it

it wasn't about him being a flawed character it was a plot device to explain away why a college graduate in chemistry was working at a high school and not at some corporation and couldn't afford health insurance.

And it still failed even in that regard. Why would Walt quit working in a lab or in education even if he was butthurt about Gretchen/Elliot? To this day there's no real explanation because let's face it there is no logical explanation.

The whole premise of the show is built on nonsense. A college educated STEM graduate would never have to resort to cooking meth for money.
>>
>>67692670
>explain away why a college graduate in chemistry was working at a high school
Where the fuck do you think high school chem teachers come from?
>>
>>67692670
>Why would Walt quit working in a lab or in education even if he was butthurt about Gretchen/Elliot? To this day there's no real explanation because let's face it there is no logical explanation.
No, I'm not arguing that that isn't stupid. I've been wondering this myself -- didn't he have a PhD from Caltech with successful research projects? He's getting paid to make research new chemistry somewhere. I buy him leaving Gretchen for the reasons stated, however.
>>
>>67692167
Yes. Elliot was of that ethnic persuasion. You know the type.
>>
>>67692812

Nobody ever called him "Dr. White." At most, Walt has a Master's in Chemistry from a State school from back east.

The unprovided gaps (which are not flaws in storytelling!) that we can assume Walt kept bouncing from job to job, letting his pride get in the way until the only place left he could get a job was the local high school.
>>
>>67692899
>Nobody ever called him "Dr. White."
Good point. I checked, and Caltech was his undergrad, which was when he was involved with the successful research. That said, what person with any talent in the field and that research background gets a fucking Master's in Chemistry rather than going for a PhD? I guess that's why I assumed he had a doctorate.
>>
>>67692899
To my recollection (correct me if I'm wrong) we only know of time as a researcher, founding grey matter (which wasn't worth shit when he left), then some chemical company that didn't give him the right protective gear, and then his high school gig and afternoons at the car wash. Certainly pride wasn't in the way at the end, he was years into doing two shit jobs he hated at that point.
>>
>>67693053
He probably focused on immediate income rather than long-term career goals once Skyler birthed a retarded son.
>>
>>67692739
my highschool chem teacher was our PE teacher
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.