[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The director of Ex Machina has a new project that sounds pre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: ex.jpg (41 KB, 615x410) Image search: [Google]
ex.jpg
41 KB, 615x410
The director of Ex Machina has a new project that sounds pretty cool.

>Annihilation—the first book in VanderMeer’s Southern Reach trilogy—follows an all-female expedition team as they explore a mysterious location called Area X. The women are known only by their professional names (the biologist, the psychologist, the surveyor, and the anthropologist) and, as you would hope in a movie from the director who brought you Ex Machina, strange and unexplainable things start happening. The biologist (Portman) is motivated to join the expedition because her husband (Isaac’s role, according to author VanderMeer) was a member of the previous team who all died mysteriously.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/03/oscar-isaac-annihilation-natalie-portman-alex-garland-ex-machina

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2798920/
>>
>>67655936

>Alex Garland’s follow-up to Ex Machina was already shaping up to be another incredible bit of original, cerebral sci-fi long before Oscar Isaac joined the cast. Based on Jeff VanderMeer’s popular (but not too popular) 2014 Annihilation, the film already boasts an incredible cast featuring Tessa Thompson, Gina Rodriguez, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and star Natalie Portman.

JJLanon will be quite pleased
>>
File: bs03_cover.jpg (55 KB, 569x842) Image search: [Google]
bs03_cover.jpg
55 KB, 569x842
When's Garland going to do blindsight?bl
>>
neat. I liked Ex Machina, I can't wait for his next project.
>>
>>67655936
>the book synopsis is more detailed

Area X has been cut off from the rest of the continent for decades. Nature has reclaimed the last vestiges of human civilization. The first expedition returned with reports of a pristine, Edenic landscape; all the members of the second expedition committed suicide; the third expedition died in a hail of gunfire as its members turned on one another; the members of the eleventh expedition returned as shadows of their former selves, and within months of their return, all had died of aggressive cancer.

This is the twelfth expedition.

Their group is made up of four women: an anthropologist; a surveyor; a psychologist, the de facto leader; and our narrator, a biologist. Their mission is to map the terrain and collect specimens; to record all their observations, scientific and otherwise, of their surroundings and of one another; and, above all, to avoid being contaminated by Area X itself.

They arrive expecting the unexpected, and Area X delivers—they discover a massive topographic anomaly and life forms that surpass understanding—but it’s the surprises that came across the border with them, and the secrets the expedition members are keeping from one another, that change everything.
>>
>follows an all-female expedition team
>all-female
Fucking dropped. I can't wait for this bullshit feminist trend to end.
>>
>>67656234

>not using women like coal-mine canaries
>>
>>67655936
ugh, portman?
>>
>academic outsider joins mysterious group of secluded people
He really likes this narrative evice
>>
>>67655936
I was happy to see that Garland started directing, and it was phenomenal. Can't wait to see more from him.
>>
>>67655936
>all-female expedition team as they explore

dropped. Females don't like to explore anything. Outside of sexuality. Bitches like to nest.
>>
Sounds like Stalker
>>
>>67655936
>Portman

Dropped.
>>
>>67655936
>all female team
>doesn't spend the entire time gossiping and fighting
Dropped for lack of realism
>>
>>67656210
If I liked Roadside Picnic and STALKER will I like this? It seems very interesting.
>>
Spoiler: the third act is going to turn into a slasher movie and suck.
>>
>>67657257
t. pleb
>>
>>67656234

go home gamergater
>>
File: The Descent.jpg (180 KB, 1200x500) Image search: [Google]
The Descent.jpg
180 KB, 1200x500
>>67656234
The Descent was good.
>>
>>67655936
Shitty actors
Shitty director

It's going to be bad

Is the book good at least? Synopsis sounds like Hipster Stalker
>>
>>67655936
Sounds like some kind of feminist bullshit

So many movies are unwatchable nowadays because the filmmaker's politics is shit
>>
>>67657553
Because it was directed by a good director

who then fell off a cliff creativelly for some reason.

I have noticed a trend in American post structuralist media to call products they don't like "icky", "gross", "infantile", "immature" etc while their bland ripoffs like Carruth's mumblecore or "What are Asimov's laws durr" like AI get called "cerebral".
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 464x665) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 464x665
>>67655936

>all-female expedition team
>>
>>67656613
This. No confidence in her ability to perform, it will all be on the other actors.
>>
>>67657188
Yes, those are two of the biggest influences on the series.

I like the second volume, Authority, the best. It has the feel of a le Carré espionage novel.
>>
>>67656234
>all women
>REEEEEEE

Nigger, dost thou hath a trifle?
>>
>>67657631

>muh politics

It may surprise you, but not all shows and movies focus on feminist issues and politics.
>>
>>67657257
lol

This guy really cannot write endings
>>
>>67655936

DUDE FEMINISM LMAO
>>
File: sunshine.jpg (163 KB, 1000x1469) Image search: [Google]
sunshine.jpg
163 KB, 1000x1469
>>67657257
spoiler: the third act is going to be visceral and probably more stylized, but it will be thematically appropriate and this fucking retard won't get it because he has some sort of learning disability.

every single thread.
>>
>all-female
Stopped reading right there
>>
>>67658583
Love that film and its third act.
>>
>>67658663
sunshines third act is one of the greatest pleb filters in film
>>
>>67655936
>an all-female expedition team

dropped
>>
>>67655936
>yet another political shitshow focused on feminism
we get it already hollywood you're trying to change us but you're not going to get there with shit actresses and directors. fuck portman sucks
>>
>>67659507
>the descent was a bad movie
pleb
>>
>>67657892
Politics poisons everything anon. You can't make a nonpolitical movie that isn't for manchildren
>>
File: oscar isaac.jpg (139 KB, 726x726) Image search: [Google]
oscar isaac.jpg
139 KB, 726x726
He'll carry it.
>>
>>67655936
>>Annihilation—the first book in VanderMeer’s Southern Reach trilogy

I know a lot of people liked it, but I found it to be really disappointing. It was a short book (200 pages, maybe?) that had about 60 pages of story in it.
>>
>>67659647
Came here to post this.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.