[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me a fair review of this film WITHOUT referring to other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (232 KB, 972x723) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
232 KB, 972x723
Give me a fair review of this film WITHOUT referring to other DC films, the comics, or the MCU
>>
>>67653434
It's ok.

The editing was bad, the score felt out of place in quite a few moments, Snyder pushes pseudo-complex themes too blatantly for them to have a good impact.

The acting was good for the most part, and it's a pretty enjoyable film as a comic book fan I guess.
>>
I loved it, despite disliking Man of Steel and superhero films in general. I saw it as a quite subversive take on Superman's history, and how that reflects changing attitudes to religion and morality in society.

Three lines really stood out to me: Clark's boss saying "this isn't 1938" (the year Superman debuted), Superman saying "My world doesn't exist anymore", and Lex's speech about God not answering his prayers when he was beaten by his father.

The theme seemed to be that a hero and messia-like figure like Superman wouldn't fit in today's world, some see him as a saviour but there's too much cynicism and wariness for most to accept him. It seemed to be ambiguous about whether Superman is the wrong hero for today or if it's the fault of society for being too hubristic and cynical, which I found very clever. The courtroom scene illustrated it perfectly: thinking a god is subservient to civil laws.

The world-weary Batman who's given up on principles like no killing is the hero who fits in today's world. He has a nihilistic outlook, even saying his own work is ultimately pointless (pull up a weed and another grows in its place), and of course being totally skeptical of a god-like figure. But he's not just a cynical asshole, he's got good reasons for his views because Superman is potentially very dangerous, despite pure intentions (like the religion and morals he represents).

I was totally surprised by how ambitious the movie is. Of course, with the fantasy and fight scenes, it's still a genre movie. But it's an intelligently made genre movie.
>>
>>67653434
I liked it

It makes a lot of big grasps to try and reach for a sort of "higher form" above the medium, in that it tries to grasp and execute certain deep themes. Some times it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it just misses the mark by a little bit

The worst parts are when it tries to be "Dawn of justice" by lingering too long on set ups for something in the future
>>
>>67653434
DO YOU BLEED?
>>
>>67653434
Best capeshit since Spiderman 2.

Spiderman 2 is not part of the MCU, right?
>>
>>67653492
DITTO. absolutely spot-on.
>>
It was good. It wasn't overkill and it wasn't a letdown.
>>
It was a great film, just cut down a bit because they can't release 3 or 3½ hour movies.

Acting was great, plot was flowing well, it was all good.

People who hate it just simply did not understand it. They expected their own versions of these characters in the movie. They were wrong.
>>
Why should I when you lack the cinematic knowledge to understand anything against it?
>>
>>67653434
6.5/10

Same as The Force Awakens. A directors cut of the movie will likely lift it to an 8.5/10.
>>
Why? Without those things the film is of no note.
>>
This film cannot decide what it wants to be. Instead of creating a worthwhile movie of Batman V Superman, it is instead a combined mess of Man of Steel 2, Batman is Tormented, and Justice League 0.5. The whole thing builds up to the ‘greatest gladiator duel’ as Lex puts it, only for it finally arrive and seem absolutely pointless and simply dull. The action between the two is so damn short, so poorly done, that it carries no weight, no substance or worth.

If you’ve seen the trailers, you know pretty much everything about this movie. You can watch and easily predict what will happen. It’s cliché as all hell.

The issues of Man of Steel are often considered the christ-like symbolism, and how it wasn’t subtle enough. The symbolism in this film is much worse, so ham-fisted, it feels like Zack Snyder is smacking you across the face. “GET IT, SUPERMAN IS A GOD”.

The score is in my opinion the worst score Zimmer and Junkie XL have made in years, with the themes being so over the top, loud, and simply lacking in dynamic or difference that it feels like your ears are just being pummelled with drums. At points it feels like Mad Max Fury Road’s soundtrack on steroids. Batman and Wonder Woman’s themes simply don’t fit. The only glimmer here is reusing some of the score from Man of Steel, because it fits quite well.
>>
>>67653678
Characterisation. Affleck is a good Batman in terms of size, he feels menacing and threatening. But the decisions Goyer made with this Batman don’t fit the character at all. A few of them, very significant ones, go against what makes Batman, well, Batman. Superman and Wonder Woman are suitable for their characterisation, I actually like the Superman we have in this universe. Unfortunately, the big one, Batman, is just so disappointing.

The editing is probably the worst I have seen in a mainstream blockbuster over the past 5 years. You have so many scenes that can build excitement, tension, worry, etc. But they are all jumbled together that you end up feeling nothing. You will get midway through one subplot, get really passionate about it, then the film just jumps to a completely different area, often for little reason, or little significance at all. I couldn’t believe it at points.

it’s chucked into a full on mess of bad CGI, that can at times feel so obviously fake that it distracts from what should be a good experience.

Simply a terrible film.
>>
>>67653678

>GET IT, SUPERMAN IS A GOD

That's not what the film was saying at all.

Again, as I said. People are simply just too fucking stupid for it.

Ironic, when you consider it's a fucking superhero movie. Snyder did the impossible. He made a superhero movie that was too smart for audiences.
>>
>>67653754
Not him, and I haven't seen it, what is the movie saying then?
>>
The movie failed to connect with me on an emotional level. I wasn't invested in the characters, so it was hard to be interested in what was happening onscreen.

Snyder has a lot of interesting ideas, but instead of choosing a few to focus on, he includes them all and doesn't have ample time to explore any of them.

Snyder is unable to deftly portray the character arcs, which leaves a lot of actions feeling unnatural in the context of the movie. The actions may make sense upon further reflection, but if the events of the movie don't feel genuine while you're actually watching, it's failed.

Still, my biggest problems are that the emotional beats fell flat and I wasn't invested in the events unfolding onscreen. Scenes that should have been powerful felt lifeless.
>>
i liked it OP
>>
File: subtle art by malick.jpg (108 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
subtle art by malick.jpg
108 KB, 1280x688
>>67653678
>The issues of Man of Steel are often considered the christ-like symbolism, and how it wasn’t subtle enough. The symbolism in this film is much worse, so ham-fisted, it feels like Zack Snyder is smacking you across the face. “GET IT, SUPERMAN IS A GOD”.
why is zack such a hack?
>>
>>67653963

It's about power and not God.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 450x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 450x640
I stepped out of the theater after watching Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice™ and literally fell to my knees and thrust my arms into the air.

"SNYDER!!!!" I cried.

I cried so much for the first time in my life.

I went in to the movies jaded and cynical after reading all the /tv/ posts about how much Snyder was a hack, Man of Murder, Stop my invincible son and expected absolute trash from the movie. But I was wrong. So wrong.

I couldn't believe the masterpiece I had just witnessed. I felt like throughout the entire film Snyder himself was speaking to me, through Metropolis and Gotham, his love and dedication was there. He assured me that a new era of cape movies has arrived, a new era to save us from these lackluster regurgitated capeshit movies we are accustomed to.

During the battle with Doomsday, the people around me were so enthralled and were convulsing and speaking in tongues, their spit and tears flying everywere, some landing on me, but I didn't care. I was already in full spasm from the orgasmic capekinography I was seeing.

As the movie ended, everyone in the cinema cried. Like wailing and sorrowful crying. Nobody said a word but everyone in there had the same feeling. "Forgive us Snyder for we do not know what we have done"

In all seriousness this is a solid 12/10.

I'm still wiping my tears as I try to relive that moment, I'm afraid I will never experience this exhilarating joy and sadness ever again in my life.

Thank you Snyder... Thank you...
>>
>>67653492
good post
>>
Terribly paced and pretentious yet blatant garbage that falls into the same shlock it's trying so hard to distance itself from during the third act.
>>
>>67653434
It'e kino.
>>
Overall I enjoyed it but there are a few problems. The run-time could be cut down without effecting the story.
>>
As a film, it's still pretty bad

Rambling story, shitty editing, too many characters and subplots, not enough character development for key characters.
>>
>>67653434
It's literally the superhero version of Kingdom of Heaven. I've got a feeling the extended cut will be much more coherent, editing and pacing wise
>>
>>67653434
Terrible Pacing editing, and a messy plot that doesn't feel like there was any payoff at all, it tried to set up like 4 other movies and took away anything enjoyable away from this film.
>>
>>67653434
It was good. I liked it.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 500x273
>>67653483
>>67653492
>>67653499
>>67653520
>>67653558
>>67653564
>>67653575
>>67653642
>>67654079
>>67654279
>>67654283
>>67654982
>>67655185
>>67655316
>>67655561
>le "BvS wasn't complete shit" meme

epic, simply epic
>>
>>67653434
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgnz9CbQODY
>>
>>67655729
I clearly said it was good.
>>
Meh. Editing and pacing were fucked. Action was good. Plot was convoluted. Acting was decent
>>
>>67655818
learn to read
>>
>>67653483
> pseudo
>>
>>67655857
I said it was good, you implied I was le memeing. Feel free to explain yourself further.
>>
>>67655939
It wasn't
>>
>>67653754
>God vs man
>devils don't come from beneath us, they come from the sky
>>
>>67653754
Superman is literally called a god in the flick multiple times
>>
File: Are you well?.jpg (52 KB, 600x604) Image search: [Google]
Are you well?.jpg
52 KB, 600x604
>>67655939
>>67655818

American "education". Wow.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.