[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Wire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: jCIMLEs-578x422.jpg (12 KB, 578x422) Image search: [Google]
jCIMLEs-578x422.jpg
12 KB, 578x422
Can anyone tell me what was the point of this scene?

Was it to show that there are smart guys and intellectuals among thugs or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1HUlTKvDUI

I didn't get it, can someone explain to me what was he talking about?
>>
I'm watching the 1st season of The Wire and I just got done watching the episode where DeAngelo teaches the younger kids chess. I was blown away! I had to watch it a couple times to really pick up on it, but did you guys realize that when he was teaching them about the chess pieces, he was really referring to THEM being the pawns! What an incredible metaphor!

It was so deep and meaningful, I am amazed by the symbolism of this.

Do the later seasons continue on with such masterful symbolism? This was truly the pinnacle of storytelling that I have ever seen on a television show, and I think I can confidently say The Wire is the best show ever made without even having seen the entire series.

Also the acting is amazing. Idris Elba and Dominic West do a great job with their Baltimore accents.
>>
The whole point of the first season was to show how similar criminals and police are. As well as the futility of working within a system where people lower down are expendable.

This creates an allusion between the systemic structure of the gangs and the structure of law enforcement. It shows everyone has their place, and their rank, and their duty in the system, it also shows they're not important. This same scene could happen in the police office to the same effect.
>>
>>67644332
Lol, what the fuck? You had to watch that scene more than once to fully grasp it? Are you being sarcastic or are you really that retarded?

Did that scene really go over your head this much? How did you not realize that they had to find a way to relate the hierarchy and street life of slinging in Baltimore to uptight wealthy white folks like you and your inbred daddy you stupid shit.
>>
File: my face when.jpg (8 KB, 480x358) Image search: [Google]
my face when.jpg
8 KB, 480x358
>>67644861
Sarcasm, motherfucker! Do you speak it?
>>
>>67645802
Copypasta comment + 10 yo meme response

I'm embarassed for you
>>
>>67644332
>Idris Elba and Dominic West do a great job with their Baltimore accents
legit triggered

none of them had baltimore accents

idris had a typical ghetto thug accent and dominic i have no idea but it didnt sound american
>>
File: 461039724.jpg (107 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
461039724.jpg
107 KB, 620x413
>>67645802
>>
>>67644213
>Was it to show that there are smart guys and intellectuals among thugs or what?
Yes, so deep and intellectual explaining to dumb thugs the basics of chess in a way they would understand.
>>
>>67646007
>and dominic i have no idea but it didnt sound american
You don't know shit about American accents, do you Bond?
>>
>>67644332
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
>>67646712
hey reddit
>>
>nigs caring about chess
>>
>>67646701
how did it sound to you?
>>
File: stanislaus-valchek-512x512.jpg (123 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
stanislaus-valchek-512x512.jpg
123 KB, 512x512
>I'll go as far as making an entire unit of policemen dedicated to investigating some irrelevant guy just because he took my stained glass window spot at the church

So uhh, The Wire is such a realistic show!
>>
>catched
>>
The bishop is a metaphor for D'angelo's penis.
>>
>>67646883
where is this from?
>>
>>67644213
-establishes D's character as intelligent and shows that the others are not educated
-gives us characterization for Avon and Stringer

-Important part: Discussion of pawns and how a pawn doesn't get anywhere in the game. This is important for Bodie's character, as his realization that pawns don't get anything out of the game in later seasons is a major character development for him. It's also important for that other guy (forgot his name). You'll understand him after you've seen all of Season 1.
>>
Everyone who makes fun of this scene always talk about how obvious the metaphor was. Does every metaphor have to be some hidden fucking gem on an imdb page? What is so wrong with having a clear cut allegory between the chess and the characters?
Fucking smug asholes who feel thteatened when they can't pretend to be smarter than everyone else
>>
>>67648020
>establishes D's character as intelligent
>literally shot and killed a nigga for no reason in the first episode

i never understood this sudden change
>>
>>67648020
Slim Charles was a pawn and he became the CEO in the end.
>>
>>67644332
Gosh you goys sure are idiots to fall for this bait pasta
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.