[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw "film" is just French for "movie"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: lepepe.jpg (8 KB, 405x359) Image search: [Google]
lepepe.jpg
8 KB, 405x359
>mfw "film" is just French for "movie"
>mfw "cinema" is just French for "movie theater"
>mfw "kinograph" is just Russian for "camera"
Americans are truly pathetic when they try sound cultured
>>
Kino just means "movie" or "movie theatre" in german
>>
>>67641977
Frenchfag here. The painful truth is that artistic """"""cinema"""""" in this country exists only because of state subventions.
>>
File: 1459358314784.jpg (372 KB, 545x1407) Image search: [Google]
1459358314784.jpg
372 KB, 545x1407
Hello and hi

Film vs Movie vs Cinema is real, but kino, fllick, etc were added by tasteless dronesthat were made insecure by this whole thing.
like when fedoracore got introduced to this board

“A movie is made for an audience and a film is made for both the audience and the filmmakers. I think that The Game is a movie and I think Fight Club‘s a film. I think that Fight Club is more than the sum of its parts, whereas Panic Room is the sum of its parts. I didn’t look at Panic Room and think: Wow, this is gonna set the world on fire. These are footnote movies, guilty pleasure movies. Thrillers. Woman-trapped-in-a-house movies. They’re not particularly important.” - David Fincher

"My film is not a movie. My film is not about Vietnam. It is Vietnam. It's what it was really like. It was crazy. We were in the jungle, there were too many of us, we had access to too much money, too much equipment, and little by little we went insane." — Francis Ford Coppola

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film#Terminology_used
>By contrast, in the US "movie" is the predominant form. Although the words "film" and "movie" are sometimes used interchangeably, "film" is more often used when considering artistic, theoretical, or technical aspects, as studies in a university class and "movies" more often refers to entertainment or commercial aspects, as where to go for fun on a date. For example, a book titled "How to Read a Film" would be about the aesthetics or theory of film, while "Lets Go to the Movies" would be about the history of entertaining movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMsp05iSk7s [Embed]

movies are about economics.
cinema is about esthetics.
film is about politics.
-"How To Read A Film" by James Monaco

Also the separation is recognized in these texts
Bresson's Notes on the Cinematographer
Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time
Delleuze's Cinema I&II

enjoy your stay dumb frogposter
>>
Americans that try to sound cultured by using other countries words are a fucking disgrace.

We don't need to be cultured. We're bigger and stronger than the rest of the world and can order a burger and fries while watching Europe get blown up on the nightly news.

Anyone mad at America is just jealous.
>>
>>67642064
Is it true that American language uses the same word for "strong" and "fat"?
>>
>>67642127
Absolutely 0/10
>>
File: every fucking time.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
every fucking time.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
>>67641835
>>67642021
>>67642061
>not subverting categorizations and memes by superimposing your own (very related) definitions onto them to transcend shitposting
>2016
>>
>>67642059
Quebec isn't french
>>
>>67641835
yeah and what does flick mean
>>
>>67642366
It's not but french cinema (and art in general) lives off subventions because "muh cultural exception".
Not that it's a completely bad thing.
>>
>>67642473
why is it a bad bad thing?
>>
>>67641835
The 'kino' meme started with a copypasta which used the term 'absolute kinography', which, surprisingly, is not bullshit.
It comes from an interview with Soviet director Dziga Vertov recorded in this book:
http://www.iupress.indiana.edu/product_info.php?products_id=25801

It's translated as "Man With a Movie Camera, Absolute Kinography, and Radio-Eye" if you want to google to confirm.

The original russian rendered is aбcoлютнoгo языкa кинo, literally 'absolute language of cinema'
>>
>>67642644
Some more notes upon further research:
The original interview was with the famous newspaper Pravda, but it wasn't printed in Russian until much later.
It was however printed in a Ukrainian art journal with the title 'Liuzina z kinoaparatom: absoliutnyi kinopis i radio-oko", so the term 'absolute kinography' as a way to describe a type of movie dates back to 1929
>>
>>67642516
State funding is limited and hard to obtain, and the fact that it comes from official institutions (mostly the CNC) means that depending on the content, a film is more or less likely to be funded. Politics and such.
So in a lot of cases, state funding is not always enough anyway and you end up with either movies ambitions being cut due to that, self-funded movies or european co-productions.
>>
>>67642516
Public money wasted in movies that noone will see, making stuff more difficult for French filmmakers that want to do entertainment.
>>
>>67642127
We use the word "strong" for "strong" and the word "fat" for "fat." Hope this helps friendo stay patriotic.
>>
>>67642849
"strong woman"
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.