[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the 'historical' epic genre ever going to make a return?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: Braveheart_imp.jpg (79 KB, 281x417) Image search: [Google]
Braveheart_imp.jpg
79 KB, 281x417
Is the 'historical' epic genre ever going to make a return?
>>
>>67636670

>Macbeth
>>
>>67636682
That movie was completely unheard of where I live. Even so, there's been a very noticeable lack of them the past 10 years
>>
>>67636670
That film was about as "historical" as Highlander
>>
>>67636670
>Braveheart
>historical
>>
>>67636971
Butthurt bong detected
>>
>>67636682
>Macbeth
>historical
ebin
>>
>>67636670
William Wallace wasn't that cool though.
>>
All I want is another as good as Troy.
>>
>>67636971
>>67636987
>>67637068

Britbong out
>>
>>67636670

No

unless its nothing but a bunch of cgi bullshit
>>
>>67637104
This movie is more insulting to Scotland than England tbqh
>MUH KILTS
>MUH BAGPIPES
>MUH SENTIMENTALITY
>>
>>67636987
its literally in quotation marks in the OP you mong
>>
>>67637014

>what are the quotation marks in OP's post

Retard
>>
>AHHH THIS MOVIE IS BAD!

>why?

>THEY USED THE SWORD FROM 16 YEARS LATER INSTEAD OF THE RIGHT ONES AND THEIR UNIFORMS WERE THE WRONG SHADE OF GREEN!

can you BE anymore pleb/autistic?
>>
>>67636670

No. Most historical events important enough to warrant their own epic are going to be overwhelmingly white and male. That's unacceptable in a tolerant and diverse society.
>>
>>67637104
This. No bongs allowed. This isn't an Islamic thread.
>>
>>67636971
>muh empire
>>
>>67637104
Eat shit you gargled-mouth kilt.
>>
Was Kingdom of Heaven the final nail in the coffin?
>>
>>67637960
This is true. White men have literally done everything of note and quality in human history.

But truthfully, deep down, women and minorities really want to watch white men too. Even more than watching themselves. They literally have to be told their entire lives they they "want to watch themselves" but they dont.
>>
>>67636670
Braveheart is probably the least accurate historical epic ever.

But the sub-genre isn't going to return any time soon because:

>in the last wave of historical epics (mid 2000s) there was a few deserved flops

>Capeshit is still far too profitable. More than ever before, studios are refusing to put any cash behind a project that isn't a near guaranteed monetary success. Capeshit sells. Every studio is trying to develop their own cinematic universe.

Ridley Scott is the only one able to continue making these movies, and that's because he's mostly independently funded.
>>
>>67638206
I honestly think Capeshit is going to go the way of the western, sooner or later people are going to get fucking sick of them.
>>
What part of historical FICTION do you autists not understand?
>>
>>67638292
That's an inevitability. I'd love to see the western or sci fi thriller genres come back into vogue.
>>
>>67638292
It has brand recognition and a fanbase devoted to the movies irrespective of their quality. Studios can rely on these baseline fans in the same way a football club can. Fanboys feel as sense of ownership over these properties, always ready to give up their money.

Look at BvS. I have no intention of ever seeing the movie. The general consensus is it isn't very good but it's raking in money anyway.

That's where there's an unfortunate distinction between capeshit and another sub-genre like the western.
>>
>>67638440
Capeshit is a sci-fi subgenre.
>>
>>67638182
Troy.
>>
No, in order for them to be epic you need huge scale armies, sets, CGI, that all cost money and studios just won't fork over the money cause it's too risky, you might get a gladiator or you might get a kingdom of heaven, even then it's no where near the money that shit like capeshit or remakes make.

In the past Hollywood all people watch were epics because they showed the scale and imagination of movie without resorting to CGI technology
>>
>>67636670
Hard to say, target audience used to be young -adult men. They are (mostly) interested in capeshit now.
>>
>>67636670
No one cares about history any more, the faggot youths of todays just want to revise history and make movies about Danish transexuals and suffragettes
>>
>>67637104
>Britbong out
>Scotland part of Britain
Fuck off back to McDonalds America.
>>
File: Pompeii.jpg (54 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
Pompeii.jpg
54 KB, 600x300
>>67636670
>Is the 'historical' epic genre ever going to make a return?
We still get lots of historical epics, but now is the era of capeshit, so deal with it. And no, historical epics are probably not gonna be the no.1 most popular genre ever again.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.