[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Expanse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
Tell me about this series. I've watched 3-4 episodes .. but can't decide is if it is worth my time.
The world looks professionally done, but it'so so slowly unfolding.

Latest sci-fi i liked was Dark Matter, but SG-1 is my favourite. Is this comparable to those, or it's more like Star Trek? Or what is it like?
>>
thought it was more season 4 bsg
>>
>>67629898
Did I enjoy reading your post? What was the final sentence about? I like the word "eggs" - do you say that anywhere?
>>
it is a good series
it was worth my time
it started off slow and then went on a rollercoaster
it is not comparable to sg1 or star trek
it is perhaps closest to battlestar galactica in the somewhat serious or realistic or dark-ish tones (but not in the military scifi sense)
having seen the first season i immediately went out and bought and read all the available books and enjoyed three of them so far greatly (although with diminishing returns it needs to be said)
>>
File: Expanse Nauvoo.webm (3 MB, 864x480) Image search: [Google]
Expanse Nauvoo.webm
3 MB, 864x480
It's got space Mormons anon. How can you not like that.
>>
>>67629965
>bought and read all the available books and enjoyed three of them so far greatly
err i mean i bought them all but only read three so far
1st the best
2nd almost as good
3rd not as great but still very good
4th looks promising according to the... what do you call the blurb on the back of the book which tells you what it is about without spoiling it?
>>
>>67630010
>Nauvoo
ha ha if you guys only knew
i genuinely hope the show makes it to the end of book 2 at least
>>
I really liked it, but the three separate storylines are frustrating to watch at the beginning. The pay-off to my patience was good.
It's really gritty, a bit dystopian sci-fi. I'm really digging the political aspect and the world-building with the differences between Earth-and-Luna, Martian and Belter culture.

Anyway, it's only 10 episodes. I think the first great episode is episode 4. Did you watch it?
>>
>>67629965
how's the quality of the books?
is the author a competent writer?
>>
>>67630166
i went through three of them in a couple of days, and they are pretty big books (inb4 UUUU)
the writing is solid, fast paced, enjoyable, i also really like how they bring to life the, uh, the life in space and how it affects things from language to food to action scenes, and i enjoy the overall stories told
what i do not like is that some of the main characters (holden and later holden & some of his co.) are just a bit flat and sometimes a bit of... video game heroes, as in "you won't believe the solar-system-shattering-event just happened to happen with us in the middle... again!", they oscillate between bland and unlikable
i like the play, its main plot and its subplots as well as the supporting cast, but with every book i grew to like the main players less
>>
>>67630050
>I think the first great episode is episode 4. Did you watch it?
yeah, though, i watch it while being pretty sleepy.
that's were things get complicated, like one of the survivors is a mars agent, and the rebelling fagots on the space station nail one guy.
>>
>>67629898
Of all the scifi shows I've watched(virtually all of them), it's closest in tone to BSG, but even that doesn't really capture it. It's a really good show, and I hope it sticks around for a while.
>>
>>67630972
Spoilers for episode 4, he's not a Martian agent, he just used to work in the Martian military, so they afford him respect. He's no sooper-secret spy, just a dude with a past.
>>
actually comparing it to BSG doesn't makes me more interested in it. BSG, at least until i watched (s1-2), had pathetic politics & 'HR management'. in the edge of extinction they cant make comprmises, or make the civilians useful?
>>
>>67630025

4th is pretty bad/feels like a big side story. 5th is great and completely changes the balance of power but ends on a total cliffhanger.
>>
>>67631452
I liked 4. It might have been off the beaten track and may never really matter to the plot again, but it had a lot of interesting situations I was happy to read.
>>
>>67629898
it's shit desu

boring as fuck
>>
>>67629898
>can't decide is if it is worth my time.

Your time is worth shit.
>>
>>67631182
it is similar to BSG in the atmosphere and tone
not content, there are no high level politics or "hr management" in EX, not in the way there were in BSG (= focus of half the show) that is
>>
>>67629898
I fun watching it. Enough so that I bought the actual books.
>>
>>67629898
Definitely worth the time, it's only 10 eps though they made some weird (read: incorrect) changes from the books.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.