[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are all ww2 movies propaganda?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6
File: image.gif (2 MB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 320x200
Why are all ww2 movies propaganda?
>>
>its an "edgy teenlord from /pol/ bleeds over" episode
>>
>>67624338
But I'm right
>>
How can it be propaganda if the war is already won?
>>
"non-partisan war film" is an oxymoron
wait are you crying about there not being nazi blockbusters or what
>>
>>67624292
Not all of them are
>>
>This JIDF mad
>>
>>67624372
Revisionism maybe?
>>
>it's le Nazis were the good guys episode
>>
>>67624369
yep definitely /pol/ level arguing.
>>
>>67624292
Why is spr propaganda
>>
Because the winners define reality.
>>
>>67624919
It's "History is written by the victors" you dummy
>>
>>67624791
Read >>67624512
>>
>>67624919
Then what about It Ain't Me movies you fucking idiot?
>>
>>67624292
because Hitler was """""bad"""""
>>
File: 214125125.png (43 KB, 175x119) Image search: [Google]
214125125.png
43 KB, 175x119
>>67624338
>its an anon thinks he's clever by immediately spouting RACIST to a perfectly legitimate question episode
>>
>>67624292
All they had to do to avoid propaganda with Saving Private Ryan was not have all the Germans shave their heads so they look identical. That's really the only thing wrong with the film.
>>
>>67624512
What is there to revise? That D-Day in Omaha beach was taken? That there were Poles and Chezchs alongside the Germans? That some American GIs gunned surrendering or surrendered Wehrmact and SS soldiers?
>>
I used to be incredibly critical of America as a teenager.

To the point where I considered the US an aggressor in the coldwar who violently suppressed the free determination of people peacefully choosing communism all around the world in a ruthless Machiavellian way to hem in the soviets who were for the most part content to stay within their own limit sphere of influence.

Then I started reading more and realized I only though the USSR was the lesser of 2 evils because I didn't know anything about them.

America might do some pretty reprehensible things, but the responsibility of the crown weighs heavy and real life is never as forgiving to good intentions as we want it to be.
>>
It's not that WWII movies in particular are propaganda. The genre is simply limited to two types of stories. All war movies are either

>War is hell

or

>These nobodies are actually heroes

Every war movie you've ever seen and will ever see is following that pattern. Which should fucking tell us something about the unchanging nature of war, but I doubt we're going to stop fighting them anytime soon.
>>
>>67625097
and the shit-tonne amount of kike propaganda
>>
File: 1434153869275.png (115 KB, 326x226) Image search: [Google]
1434153869275.png
115 KB, 326x226
>>67625030
People always repeat 'victors write history' but in reality nearly all wars have written sources from both sides, as well as neutral countries. Even going way way back to things like the Punic Wars, yeah the enemy Carthaginian documents didn't survive, but the neutral Hellenistic recordings of the war did.
>>
The US soldiers shoot two surrendering soldiers that were actually Czech in the opening D-Day sequence.

Saving Private Ryan is not for you to shit on you Nazi loving cunt.
>>
>>67624292
>"perspective" now means "propaganda"

I could waste my time going into a long post about how every movie has to have characters that the audience roots for in some way or another or becomes emotionally involved in, and their perspective defines the "good" and the "bad" of the movie, but I'll just say that you're an idiot and leave it at that.

Also, biggest movie industry in the world is American and my above point is also one of the plethora of reasons there are so few good ww1 movies.

Eat a dick.
>>
>>67625364
Then it should be winners shape history.
>>
>>67624369
Nope
>>
>>67624457
The one in the gif is though
>>
>>67625887
It's called cultural hegemony but that's the basic idea.
>>
>Why wont jewish dominated hollywood produce pro-Nazi WWII movies
Gee I wonder.
>>
I still don't get how europoors think this movie is propaganda.
>>
>>67625074

except no one said racist except for you dumbass
>>
>>67625463

Theres also a scene of a US soldier cowering down in fear and crying as a German kills his friends

Why do people pretend its a MURRICA FUCK YEAH movie? Are they literally to pleb and petty to get it?
>>
Have you tried generation war?
>>
File: 11341727.jpg (66 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
11341727.jpg
66 KB, 480x480
>>67625186

This was about "war is boring"
>>
>>67624512

how is it revisionist you dolt? You do realize your super badass nazi mega soldiers lost Normady, right?
>>
File: 1415884319091.png (840 KB, 1291x533) Image search: [Google]
1415884319091.png
840 KB, 1291x533
>>67626960
The most accurate war stories are the ones that emphasis the boredom
>>
>>67627141
Yeah. Of course he doesn't mean maize literally, it didn't exist in Europe, corn was just a generic term for local soldier feed (usually grain).

But that book is 80% supply lines, 10% diplomacy with literally whos, 8% detailing siege structures, camp structures, bridge structures, etc., and 2% battles. The most interesting bits of the battles is how casually he mentions the mass murder of civilians, despite that writing being a public report to the senate about the war. Different times, man.
>>
>>67626922
funfact: the writer of the movie said that scene was an allegory for the holocaust
>>
it's subtle propaganda

film makers that want to use military equipment like tanks and helicopters and shit like that need to submit the script to be reviewed by a military commission. if it doesn't get approved, they won't allow the use of their military equipment in that film.

Francis Ford Coppola is a good example of that. the American military did not approve of his script because it was just too fucked up, so he had to go to the Philippines and make a deal with their president in order to use their helicopters.
>>
>>67627271

so what?
>>
band of brothers has always seemed like propaganda to me. romanticized to all hell too. every guy in it was like a hero.
>>
>>67627045
PLS NO CORNFATHER
>>
>>67627271
Makes sense.
>>
File: mellish-08-large.jpg (46 KB, 600x325) Image search: [Google]
mellish-08-large.jpg
46 KB, 600x325
>>67627271
mind blown. It fits perfectily because the us soldier was jewish. Wow, so cool if it is true.
>>
>>67624292
Because of needing in getting the attentions from primarily target audience. For your geeky orientations, you gotta check out the war films that told from the other country's POV. I bet you really think that the probaganda itself is so dumb.
>>
>>67626843
Lol
>>
For one thing, history is written by the victors.
Also this.
>>67626843
>>
I'm glad that the United States and Great Britain had the moral highground during World War II.

After all, America did

-Exploit the Philippines, and execute over 100,00 Flips
>Turn Cuba into your puppet state
>Exterminate native Americans, and enact cultural genocide through the Dawes Act
>Have the first Eugenics programs,some of which would last until the 70s
>Enforced segregation of races.
>Intern Japanese-Americans in concentration camps

But at least the British were better! All they did was

>Create an Empire with hundreds of millions of people held in literal slavery, with colonial levees used to round out your army
>Hold Boers in concentration camps in South Africa in one of the first instances of total war
>Be a blight in European politics.

I'm so glad the Allies were the clear-cut good guys, especially with our friendly Russian allies!
>>
>>67624292
Because you're watching American WW2 movies.
>>
>>67627045
>things they carried
this one is accurate
>>
>>67630767
>Exploit the Philippines, and execute over 100,00 Flips
Your right. They were much better off with the Nips in charge.
>>
>>67631453

I was talking about the Philippine–American War that went from 1899 to 1902
>>
>>67630767
>m-muh ebul American/British empires!

Cry about it.
>>
>>67624292
Because Jews, you fucking philistine
>>
>>67631663

I'm not. Empire is fine, and I'm happy to be an American.

I'm just saying the allies had absolutely no moral high ground during world war II. It was states acting in their own self-interest.
>>
Except for the part where the German soldier they released attacks them again the movie was top.

Vin Diesel shouldn`t have died so early
>>
>>67627335
this.
>>
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/empire/2010/12/2010121681345363793.html

good docu on this page about the HOLLYWOOD WAR MACHINE.

wake up people , propaganda happens in capeshit flicks also ,,,,, read the fucking credits.
>>
>>67626960

Subcategory of "war is hell".
>>
>>67624512
okay, provide examples of revisionism is SPR
>>
>>67632191
>Aljazeera
>>
>>67626922
>Theres also a scene of a US translater who had no previous experience of fighting cowering down in fear and crying as a German kills his friends.
FTFY.
>>
>>67630767
>>Hold Boers in concentration camps in South Africa in one of the first instances of total war

Buy a history book you retarded American. Refugee camps that suffered from disease aren't concentration camps
>>
>>67624292
Movie makers, especially US, tend to distort history.
>>
>>67624292

>saving private Ryan

In my opinion I wouldn't interpret it as propaganda.

It's one of the best "war is hell" films I've seen.
>>
Saving Private ryan isn't really a propaganda movie, it's balanced for a hollywood movie anyways. There's a scene in the beginning where a bunch of guys with czech i think markings raise their hands and yell "we're not german" but get gunned down by the americans because they don't understand what they're saying. So it does show that a lot of people from the countries the germans occupied were forcibly conscripted to fight in the war.

But i guess not a lot of people catch that.
>>
>>67627045
That's the wrong kind of corn, man. When they said "corn" they obviously meant barley or wheat, because maize is a new-world crop.
>>
>>67632856
watch the docu anon its 3 americans and a Aljazeera presenter.

oliver stone
mikey moore
and some other war correspondent whos name im to lazy to go look up.

war is hell, and any more wars then the president should join the frontline.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.