[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Richard "Based" Brody Confirms: Snyder > Nolan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 225x225
Even at his most pedestrian or bombastic, Snyder makes a far more engaging film than Christopher Nolan (an executive producer of “Batman v Superman”) ever did—because Nolan presumes to know and to show, whereas Snyder wants to see. Even his slender philosophical world seems like he’s discovering it, not delivering it.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/batman-v-superman-is-democrats-vs-republicans?mbid=rss
>>
>>67613508
Well he has a beard so he must know what he's talking about.
>>
File: 1345244480242.jpg (49 KB, 298x279) Image search: [Google]
1345244480242.jpg
49 KB, 298x279
The patricians have spoken!
Snyder is truly a visionary auteur
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 300x279
>Snyder’s thrillingly intelligent use of interior conflict and political antagonism vastly outclasses Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises — all noxious — which were bellwethers of our culture’s decline. Fanboys prefer the Nolan films for their “darkness,” which emphasized the sophomoric, pseudo-tragic elements of the Batman graphic novels. But Snyder’s more adult treatment finds the material’s emotional core. This displeases the fanboy/hipster whose adolescent embarrassment about feelings was exploited through Nolan’s emotionless violence and post–9/11 nihilism

>tfw the most patrician critics alive finally agree on somethinf
Th-thanks Snyder
>>
now i want to know Ray Carney's opinion on the matter
>>
Brody and White are the most contrarian critics alive. Anyone who praises the stat wars prequels and transformers isn't worth listening to.
>>
>>67613651
>contrarian

That's a funny way of spelling knowledgable
>>
>>67613651
>t. Pete Travers fan
>>
> literally /tv/: the critic
>>
They're just fishing for attention, Nolan still did Memento and The Prestige which are way better movies than what Snyder ever did.
>>
File: image.png (733 KB, 1080x1638) Image search: [Google]
image.png
733 KB, 1080x1638
>>67613595
Reading this comment. Get a text message. Wtf.
>>
>some guy said some words
>this makes my shitty movie good
>>
Yeah but this guy liked This Is 40, lmao
>>
>>67614005

>implying either of those movies can stand up to the gorgeous stylistic feat that is Sucker Punch

get fucked pleb bitch
>>
>>67614005
>b-but muh memento and muh prestige

Every time. We're talking capekino bud, and the level at which Synder is, where Nolan could never reach.
>>
>>67614119

>dismantling a critic's argument based on prior tastes you agree with

I absolutely guarantee you that 95% of the critics who hated on Batman vs Superman have embraced far worse shit than Brody in the past and have worse year end lists than him every single year
>>
>>67614012
>For you!
I hope you are banging this woman, anon.
>>
>>67614252
>this is 40 fan detected
lmao
>>
>A study of permanence and impermanence and the ways we internalize our emotions until they explode into a physically affecting form, an abstraction of narrative that Snyder pushes so hard it loops into and under itself, there are snapshots of other films - images people have labelled unnecessary - but this is not so much misplaced exposition as it is a myriad of secondary narratives superseding our core one - that's why the titular fight takes over an hour to get going. We know these stories - by now the death of the Wayne family's parents is a household story, a cozy narrative with a moral to tuck your kids into bed with at night. Snyder tears these morals apart, he rebuilds a mythology from the ground up and Cavill is the face he puts to this.

>The most ridiculous thing about any superhero mythology is that Clark Kent expects not to be recognized as the Superman solely because he takes off his glasses; Snyder messes with this: Affleck's (incredible) Batman has a constantly hidden face; a sociopath rejected by society to counterbalance Cavill's open, freely-displayed God amongst men.

>But, holy shit, people are getting so caught up in the religious context of it all and that's not what Snyder is going for at all. This is a post-modern reflexive view of an entire genre, a scathing satire that doesn't provide any laughs. Eisenberg destroys any constructed idea of the 'supervillain' as he performs as somebody entirely displaced from social construct.

>Nobody wants to speak out, nobody wants to share their thoughts but everyone knows what's going on: this is the way the world ends, God vs. Mortal - indeed the media (and the frequent newscast-based narrative interruptions) acts as a literal narrative obstruction... there's no way to understand those around us if our own voice is in the way, if we can't hear what they're trying to say. Too many people trying to communicate all at once, until all of a sudden there's a total blackout with cosmic consequence.
>>
>>67614458
>Most interesting is the idea of family - brother/sister, parent/child... somewhere in here, Martha Kent brings up a point about 'coming of age' - this is the comment which hit me hardest. Superhero movies have traditionally been mythological retellings of pathways to adulthood, coming of age films - Man Of Steel skipped the growing up part, instead tracking Kent from his adulthood, on his pathway to fame as a God, which is why it is so miraculously important that we are introduced to Wayne as a PTSD-riddled older man without a past: these people never had the chance to grow up, because they never had the chance to be young.

>But none of this is what I want to talk about. I want to talk about the fact that the DC Cinematic Universe may very well be the one time, now - or ever - that an auteur is given a massive budget and free reign to do as he pleases. This is Snyder messing with form and genre on a fundamental scale, a film about the cycle of destruction breeding destruction, hate breeding hate, fire is only ever fought with fire and nothing gets in the way of human intimacy. Because ultimately, it's our connections - those we love, and those we hate - that forge the paths of our lives.

>Let's not begin loving this in fifty years when the criticism no longer matters. Let's start appreciating this now, while it still means something.
>>
>>67614252
Unfortunately we've been flooded with spergs and downvote culture in the last years or so. The fact that redditors are allowed to come here and spout their opinions without punishment is in itself absolutely mind boggling to me. We have to show them we don't allow manchildren sensibility in this board. Perhaps a demonstration of force will scare them back to their subreddits.
>>
>>67613508
Okay, gay rasputin
>>
>>67614458
>This is a post-modern reflexive view of an entire genre, a scathing satire that doesn't provide any laughs. Eisenberg destroys any constructed idea of the 'supervillain' as he performs as somebody entirely displaced from social construct.
Who the fuck is delusional enough to believe that Zack Snyder is this self aware?
>>
>>67614923
Sometimes artists don't even know the meaning of their product.
>>
>>67614923
>interpretation must correspond with the creator's intent

I thought we stopped doing this decades ago
>>
>>67614923
Can we stop with this "le Snyder is bad r-right guys?" meme pls.
>>
>>67615017
>>67614967
lmao that's just the ego of the critic
>>
File: 1369861338142.jpg (188 KB, 700x646) Image search: [Google]
1369861338142.jpg
188 KB, 700x646
>>67613508
>>67613577
Marveldrones on suicide watch
>>
File: image.jpg (265 KB, 1134x756) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
265 KB, 1134x756
I stepped out of the theater after watching Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice™ and literally fell to my knees and thrust my arms into the air.

"SNYDER!!!!" I cried.

I cried so much for the first time in my life.

I went in to the movies jaded and cynical after reading all the /tv/ posts how much Snyder was a hack, Man of Murder, Stop my invincible son and expected absolutely trash from the movie but I was wrong. So wrong.

I couldn't believe the masterpiece I had just witnessed. I felt like throughout the entire film Snyder himself was speaking to me, thru Metropolis and Gotham, his love and dedication was there. He assured me that a new era of cape movies has arrived, a new era to save us from these lackluster regurgitated capeshit movies we are accustomed to.

During the battle with Doomsday, the people around me were so enthralled and were convulsing and speaking in tongues, their spit and tears flying everywere, some landing on me, but I didn't care. I was already in full spasm from the orgasmic capekinography I was seeing.

As the movie ended, everyone in the cinema cried. Like wailing and sorrowful crying. Nobody said a word but everyone in there had the same feeling. "Forgive us Snyder for we do not know what we have done"

In all seriousness this a solid 12/10.

I'm still wiping my tears as I try to relive that moment, I'm afraid I will never experience this exhilarating joy and sadness ever again in my life.

Thank you Snyder... Thank you...
>>
>>67615076

nope, that's actually what any sensible individual who studies art with any seriousness has been doing for the last 30 or 40 years

get educated dumbshit
>>
>/tv/'s new hero is a filthy nigger-loving kike who writes for the jew yorker
>/tv/'s new hero considers Chi-raq as the best "film" of 2015
>/tv/'s new hero has Amy Schumer's Trainwreck on his list of the best "films" of 2015 along with a lot of other, similar politically correct VERY Progressive!!! bullshit
>/tv/'s new hero is a """"expert""" on new french wave, and his favourite director is supposedly Jean-Luc Hacktard
and i thought that this piece of shit board couldn't be more plebeian
>>
>>67615019
How about we stop with the "le snyder is good" may may?
>>
>damage control

Just let it go.
>>
>>67615343

>Spike Lee, Godard
>plebeian

you are literally everything wrong with this board

who are your favourite directors?
>>
>>67615343
>Amy Schumer's Trainwreck on his list of the best "films" of 2015
Well that is just undorgivable.
>>
>>67615379
>m-muh console wars

No one but a select few are saying shit like that. Maybe you should learn how to critique a film instead of being the retard you are.
>>
>>67615343
whoevers opinion fits the current argument is the best
>>
>>67615379
literally not even half of the people on the board gives a fuck about this Marvel x DC bullshit
>>
>>67615343
>Age of Ultron is in my all-time top five
>>
>>67615457

yeah, the chief film critic of the New Yorker is certainly on the same level as the average RT critic
>>
File: clark_kent_reaction1.jpg (29 KB, 310x299) Image search: [Google]
clark_kent_reaction1.jpg
29 KB, 310x299
>>67615304
>I'm still wiping my tears as I try to relive that moment, I'm afraid I will never experience this exhilarating joy and sadness ever again in my life.
>>
>>67615443
>critique
>capeshit

Maybe you should fuck off to reddit to your prayer circle.

Trying to find a couple critics out of the dozens that panned your favourite blockbuster is pathetic.

>>67615513
Is that why these capeshit threads keep popping up like mushrooms and keep getting hundreds of replies?
>>
>>67615343
When all else fails appeal to /pol/
>>
>>67615566
>RT critic
>people still think RT has critics

Stop posting any time.
>>
Anybody can spew some rhetorical bullshit about any movie they like and make it seem good. Numbers don't lie.
>>
>>67614012
>Naomi
https://youtu.be/9Ooj6pEd6YM
>>
>>67615322
>get educated dumbshit
lmao booty blasted loser engaging in idol-worship you're no better than those RLMfags.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.