[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tl;dr >are the new films worth it? >are they 2D4U?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
>tl;dr
>are the new films worth it?
>are they 2D4U? or just action mecha films?

I want the /tv/ anons for this. Believe it or not you are more trustworthy than /a/.
Do those new films add anything or handle the original themes well or are they just action films for the ADD millennial generation?

What I liked the most from the original series was the relationships of the characters and exploring why everyone was broken. Also having dad issues myself I found following Shinji's story interesting.

I don't buy the christian imagery and symbols (not sure how they connect with the theme or human relationships hurt and will break you). I think they just visual stuff.
Also I need to watch again the End. All kinds of weird things are happening that I don't get yet, the huge Rei, the popping of people, the adam and eve, all that half end.
>>
File: 015.jpg (376 KB, 1121x1600) Image search: [Google]
015.jpg
376 KB, 1121x1600
>>
File: 0005.jpg (459 KB, 1121x1600) Image search: [Google]
0005.jpg
459 KB, 1121x1600
>>
File: eva tree of life.jpg (70 KB, 740x450) Image search: [Google]
eva tree of life.jpg
70 KB, 740x450
Huge fan of the original and I just refuse to try watching the new ones. Simply seems like total garbage. The original series, that whole feeling and look, all the way down to the budget shots, is part of what makes it so great to me. None of that can be replicated in glitzier, shinier modern computer animation. All that religious imagery was part of what made it all so evocative. Now they just simplify the storyline for people with short attention spans. Takes all the originality and integrity out of it and it just looks like some cheap mecha shit.
>>
>>67614419
op here.
i just got the series again and want to rewatch it.
4:3 or 16:9 stretch?
i think i will resist and watch it on 4:3.
>>
I've seen the movies but I haven't seen the original series, the animation is excellent and they manage to blend 2D and 3D without looking cringy.

They are hard to follow since they cram the plot points in short scenes, most of the time is spent on the fights.

There are new characters and the third one remixes the ending with interesting results. The soundtrack is impressive too the choirs are fitting to celestial beings fighting.

They're woth watching imo.
>>
File: evangelion vhs.jpg (136 KB, 1102x678) Image search: [Google]
evangelion vhs.jpg
136 KB, 1102x678
>>67614503
Shit that's up to you anon.

The last time I watched through it I actually pulled out an old VHS for giggles
>>
>>67614648
i watched 1.11 and 2.22 . i liked the 1st one a lot but then it started introducing new things and the trailer of 3.33 looks nuts in a bad way with horrific 3D stuff.

w a t c h the originals. it will melt your mind. don't expect any happy feels..
>>
when's 4
>>
>>67614882
Never
Fuck, I ain't even kidding. There's a total blackout every single time they release a movie, we know nothing.
>>
File: 1275103903883.jpg (2 MB, 4000x2625) Image search: [Google]
1275103903883.jpg
2 MB, 4000x2625
1.11 is a rehash of episodes 1-6 with extremely minor deviations and updated animation (3d/cg effects replaces some traditional animation).
2.22 is also a rehash but starts to break new ground. there's a new character, asuka is handled differently, story threads are tweaked. it's the best of the currently released movies on overall merit.
3.33 is completely new content after a significant timeskip from 2.22. characters and their relationships veer into new directions. the story (namely getting to instrumentality) is still the same, but it's handled completely differently compared to this point in the tv show. the new settings can be jarring, and character motivations/actions aren't handled well. occasionally it is deliberately obtuse to create the illusion of mystery. visually it's the strongest of the three, but overall the weakestinn mmyy oppinnioonnn. end of evangelion is a better movie than any of rebuild.

watch them you're a diehard fan of the show but don't expect them to be as good.
>>
>>67615097
what is the point to change so much? is there a bigger plan to blow our minds on the final 4.44 film or they just got too comfortable in $$$$ and they fuck around with 'what they really wanted to do' 20 years ago?
>>
>>67615216
its just anno trying to suck every last shekel out of his big success.
>>
>>67615216
as i understand it (anno's intentions may or may not overlap): evangelion is a cyclical story. the same events will keep recurring through the same characters in varying fashions. the tv show deals with depression/anxiety/sense of purpose, then the movies deal with repetition (1.11/2.22) and change/fear of change (3.33). the hard shift between the movies is entirely deliberate and anno got the reaction he wanted even though 3.33 itself is a blunder. 4.44 could be anything at this point.

also $$$.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.