[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please someone explain this to me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: Inland Empire.jpg (195 KB, 1500x1124) Image search: [Google]
Inland Empire.jpg
195 KB, 1500x1124
Please someone explain this to me
>>
it's the ultimate "well wouldn't you like to know" movie
>>
It's a film about acting and losing yourself to be someone else.

I saw it once three years ago and that's all I remember from it. Should probably watch it again soon.

The death scene is one of my favorites ever.
>>
dream logic lmao xD
>>
A film student watch Mulholland Drive and recorded random scenes and released it under David Lynch's name

inb4 "muh kino"
>>
>>67608802
That was probably my favorite scene too. That asian lady rambling on and on while Dern's character was dying right there
>>
you dyin lady
>>
File: asdf.png (636 KB, 785x3593) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
636 KB, 785x3593
>doesn't understand Lynch
Please start swimming to the surface before you run out of breath.
>>
Lynch fights to bridge the metaphysical gap between fiction and reality, ie Dern becoming the character her actress is playing. idk about the bunnies and shit though
>>
>>67608968
I agree mostly, but why is Cronenberg that far below PTA? Plebs hate The Master and Inherent Vice
>>
>>67609030
bunnies are an analogue for dern's character's relationship
female bunny on couch = dern
male bunny on couch = man dern cheats on her husband with
female bunny standing = man's wife
>>
>>67608691
It's legit deep unlike the 'Batman v Superman' meme that's been going around lately.

>>67608968
You got your reply, but that's all your getting.
>>
I want to into Lynch; Inland Empire interests me the most. Is it a bad place to start?
>>
>>67609231
It's the worst place to start
>>
>>67609231
it's a bad place to start. his most abstruse film imo
>>
>>67608968
If you ignore the memery of the descriptions on the right, this is pretty accurate
>>
>>67609231
it's his "final boss" film, start with the more accessible ones like elephant man or blue velvet. dune is irrelevant. eraserhead might also be a good starting point since it is his first feature length but it also runs the risk of alienating the audience immediately and turning someone off from Lynch right off the bat
>>
>>67609231
Start with Eraserhead and go in order from there. If you start with Inland Empire you won't make it to the end.

Watch them all, even Dune.
>>
>>67609231
its a big fuck you to mulholland dr bandwagoners
>>
>>67609231
Very bad. Someone posted this list here a few months ago in the order to go through:

twin peaks
twin peaks fire walk with me
mullholand drive
lost highway
eraserhead
inland empire
blue velvet
wild at heart
everything else

That's essentially what I've been doing and it seems to go from most coherent to least coherent. How Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart can be any less coherent than Inland Empire is beyond me
>>
>>67608968
>Gondry that low
>Jodorowski that low

lol?
>>
>>67609231
eraserhead is fucking weird tho, blue velvet is prob the most entry level of the early ones
>>
>>67608691
>be so much into art that you start to feel things like "script, story, coherence, acting, meaning, structure" are a burden to you
>start making a movie, people throw money at you so you dont even have to make any effort
>tell the actors to do whatever
>record everything

well done, you've made the deepest movie of all time
>>
>>67609373
They aren't.

Blue Velvet is like an early draft of Twin Peaks and Wild at Heart is a remake of Wizard of Oz.

Inland Empire skullfucks you for three straight hours.
>>
>>67609617
Blue Velvet has a lot going on.
It's only straightforward in terms of plot.
Its themes are quite complicated.
>>
>>67609617
yeah Inland Empire is the last on that I've watched so far. Any idea why the person who made that list put them after? Unless they were just fucking around
>>
DUDE
>>
TRANSCENDENTAL
>>
>>67609617
Man, that just makes me want to watch it more. I'm not scared of inaccessibility. But I'll trust you guys, lookin like I'll go
Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Lost Highway
Mullholland Drive
Then I'll watch Inland Empire. If by then I decide I like Lynch, I'll watch the rest
>>
>>67609825

You should watch Dune and then drop the project.
>>
>>67609825
Order of accessibility:
Blue Velvet
Mulholland Dr.
Lost Highway
Eraserhead
Inland Empire
>>
>if a film isn't plot event after plot event with nonstop exposition drowning in a sea of medium shots /tv/ can't understand it

lel
>>
It's better than Mulholland Drive but not as good as Lost Highway
>>
>>67609677
More complicated than Inland Empire though? Even then, it's a fairly straightforward film about the underbelly of American in the 1980's.
>>67609690
You'd have to ask them. When going through a director's cinematography, you should always start from their first film and go in order.
>>67609825
Watch in this order
Eraserhead
The Elephant Man
Dune
Blue Velvet
Wild at Heart
Twin Peaks Seasons 1 and 2
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
Lost Highway
The Straight Story
Mullholland Drive
Inland Empire
By the time you go through all that, Twin Peaks Season 3 should be starting.
>Dune
Alright you can skip this if you want. Still entertaining if you're inebriated.
>Elephant Man and Straight Story
Really, really fucking good conventional shit by Lynch. Will make you sad.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.