[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why would anyone that likes the original trilogy hate TFA? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 20
Why would anyone that likes the original trilogy hate TFA? I mean, I get that some people didn't love it, but really hating it while loving the OT seems a little bit like meming.

On the other hand, if you hated the OT, why would you even watch TFA?
>>
File: 1451444028712.webm (140 KB, 576x720) Image search: [Google]
1451444028712.webm
140 KB, 576x720
Why would any straight male hate this?
>>
File: 1459179918137.webm (1 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1459179918137.webm
1 MB, 720x480
>>67602104
I'm in love
>>
File: 1182 - sSI6yWY.jpg (157 KB, 1533x961) Image search: [Google]
1182 - sSI6yWY.jpg
157 KB, 1533x961
>>67601952
they're probably just little manchildren mad that it's not a whitewashed sausage fest
>>
>>67602104
Eyes are too far apart.
>>
File: 1450027936933.jpg (183 KB, 873x1214) Image search: [Google]
1450027936933.jpg
183 KB, 873x1214
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-UjAebLA8w

TELL ME ABOUT BEN
>>
File: 1458054979080.jpg (127 KB, 1000x1293) Image search: [Google]
1458054979080.jpg
127 KB, 1000x1293
>>67602243
you what m8?
>>
One is an action movie, the other one is a cartoon movie. There's a huge difference.
>>
SPOILER ALERT Anonymous 03/29/16(Tue)13:39:58 No.1096544▶
I work for Disney's Star Wars

[/spoiler/] Luke is Snoke. The title of Disney's Star Wars movie is 'The Force Awakens', that implies that is has not been awoken even though Luke is still alive. The force awakened right when Ray gained her powers. Luke is Snoke. The star killer base was just an elaborate training platform, snoke is collecting the power of all the Jedi for his master plan. [/spoiler/]
>>
File: Capture.jpg (16 KB, 569x249) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
16 KB, 569x249
>>67602329
fuck this is beautiful, probably the best cinematography in kinema history
JJ is a genius
>>
It was boring, Rey was annoying, Ford looked like he didn't want to be there, the plot was just copying ep4. The only character I even enjoyed was Finn because at least the actor seemed like he cared.
>>
Shitty characters, main character is a complete Mary Sue and none of them are properly established and introduced, they have no natural chemistry and it makes no sense that they even like each other
>story is rushed and it's not explained what's even going on, we can't understand why they're fighting when we don't even know who they are and why they are blowing up planets, is it just because they're le evil?
>nothing original, all is a shitty copy of episode 4
>>
File: kino.jpg (107 KB, 1420x1420) Image search: [Google]
kino.jpg
107 KB, 1420x1420
>>67602479
pure Lichtspielhaus
>>
Nothing really wrong with it other than the fact it's uninspired.

No idea if Disney wanted to play it ultra-safe, or if Abrams is a hack, but the movie doesn't do anything remotely creative. It has this distinct hollow feeling, like it's an obvious attempt to create a ground floor to launch everything else. It's A New Hope, done plainer, with fancier (but unimpressive) CGI. The actors did a solid job, though. I hope they don't fall into the pit trap of making Rey consistently so capable. Great natural pilot, great mechanic, and already using advanced for powers, and beat Kylo Ren in a 1-on-1, all in the first movie.
>>
File: latest[1].png (2 MB, 1919x816) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
2 MB, 1919x816
>>67602534
Empire looks so bland in comparison, the orange lights don't even GLOW
>>
>>67602402
So Luke spends his whole life fighting the Empire/Emperor/Dark Side then has a Jedi academy of his own. Which goes badly.

Then he secretly switches to the Dark Side and begins to secretly mentor this young Jedi who left his training. Why? There's no other Jedi besides this sleeper agent Rey.
>>
there was a complete lack of agency from any of the characters, stuff just needed to happen and it did
>>
>>67602104
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRxKHC7AlHc
>>
I felt nothing after watching it. Even the prequels mate me feel something after watching them, it was disgust but at least it was something and people still talk about how bad they are. TFA was just forgettable.
>>
>>67602104
I'm not into aliens, sorry.
>>
>>67602581
>No idea if Disney wanted to play it ultra-safe,

Why do people keep fucking saying this?

>Han solo dies
>Villains are a bunch of wimpy idiots instead of BIG BADASS SITH LORDS, normies love Darth Maul types
>Luke is in the movie for five seconds
>generally focused on new characters rather than the old

and people say it took zero risks? Come on.
>>
I love the optimistic ending of ROTJ

>Anakin redeemed himself, Luke is poised to create a new jedi order, Han and Leia are looking ready to be a stable family, empire has been routed with celebrations across the galaxy

<30 years later>

>new jedi order was killed by Han and Leia's emo faget of a crotchspawn, they split up, a slight rebrand of the empire is the major galatic power by building a super death start that destroys the new republic.

Fuck TFA.
>>
>>67602532
Idk, the main character was more of a Tom Selleck character to me.
>>
File: 1458280305405.jpg (56 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1458280305405.jpg
56 KB, 600x450
>>67601952
>Because it sucks
>>
>>67602964
>complaining your childhood idols are actual people who've made mistakes
>complaining that there is a WAR in STAR WARS

faggot
>>
Don't listen to /tv/, man. I don't know why I even come here, this place is horrible now. This place now the equivalent of the punk rock kids who bitch about bands "selling out" if they get a song on the radio.

TFA was a fun movie, and worlds better than the prequels.
>>
>>67601952
>There's people on here who will hate TFA but defend BvS like their life depends on it
>kek
>>
File: 2deep4him.gif (994 KB, 245x216) Image search: [Google]
2deep4him.gif
994 KB, 245x216
>>67602964
JJ has no respect for the classics he adapts, this should be clear by now
>>
>>67602144
>dem nostril flares

Is she doing a Boyega impression?
>>
>>67603159
Being better than the prequels is not a very good bragging point.
>>
File: 1452633401570.png (446 KB, 608x588) Image search: [Google]
1452633401570.png
446 KB, 608x588
>>67603205

oh look, another entitled prick tha thinks creators create for soley him

go fuck yourelf you worthless sack of shit

TFA was excellent and maybe even better than RotJ
>>
>>67601952
its pretty okay, but nothing special
>inb4 something about the prequels
yeah, because thats a big accomplishment
>>
>>67602964
yeah
>>
>>67602951
Because that's what they did.

Han Solo dying mirrors Obi-Wan dying almost perfectly.
Luke not showing up ensures he doesn't steal the show and lets him fill in for Yoda, another ultra-safe move.

Kylo Ren was the only risk and he was a very small risk in the scheme of things. It backfired, though, since everyone thinks he's a wimp.
>>
Why would anyone that likes tasty homemade burgers hate Mcdonalds rehashed garbage ?
>>
>>67603652
>Han Solo dying mirrors Obi-Wan dying almost perfectly.

If you can't read the scene any deeper than "mentor dies", then yes, they're EXACTLY the same, because you're retarded.

>Luke not showing up ensures he doesn't steal the show and lets him fill in for Yoda, another ultra-safe move.

No, an ultra-safe mood would have had Luke show up earlier because he's the one everyone wants to see. PLENTY of people have bitched and said "0/10, not enough Luke"
>>
>>67603128
>actual people
its fiction bro, heroes and villians with a usually happy ending.

>WAR in STAR WARS
Except its not a war, its terrorist-like resistance against an evil empire. A war would be something like republic fighting JJ's hack order
>>
>>67603747
>PLENTY of people have bitched and said "0/10, not enough Luke"

Literally no one has thought this. The movie was ultra-safe, anon. It is almost beat-for-beat A New Hope. Calm down.
>>
>>67603770
>Except its not a war, its terrorist-like resistance against an evil empire. A war would be something like republic fighting JJ's hack order

The First Order is relatively small compared to the Empire. The Resistance is a private military force created by Leia in order to strike back against the First Order since the Republic won't do anything about them.
>>
File: you're full of shit.jpg (20 KB, 441x270) Image search: [Google]
you're full of shit.jpg
20 KB, 441x270
>>67603873
>literally no one has thought this
>>
>>67602951
>>Han solo dies
Not only mirrors Obi-Wan's death, but it also was expected since Harrison wanted his character to die. Which would make it double pottery btw.

>>Villains are a bunch of wimpy idiots instead of BIG BADASS SITH LORDS, normies love Darth Maul types
Wellp they fucked up with this one. Having a somewhat competent (even without making it an expert warrior) villain gives some sense of a threat, an enemy that you need strength to beat (and said strength isn't aquired in a single day like certain strong independent mary sue). That's why Sheev, Vader and even fucking Maul work and Kylo just sucks.
>>
>>67601952
>plagiarism

They bought hte rights to plagiarise the movie.

PS.

Hitler wrote in Mein Kampf that jews were only capable of copying other peoples work or coming up with sick degenerate art.

Then this movie comes out a few weeks after I read that.

Its hard guys. All the stereotypes are just so easy to see as true.
>>
>>67603999
The fact you have to post a screenshot of some greentexting idiot is hilarious and desperate. His core point is not wrong (ROTJ>TFA) but anyone with half a brain cell knows adding Luke in more would not have improved the movie.

None of this changes how safe the movie was, anon.
>>
File: 1452288102138.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
1452288102138.gif
2 MB, 300x290
>girl """jedi""" learns how to use the ""force"" she never even knew she fucking had to jedi mind trick people in all of two days on her own with no training
>it took luke two and a half movies to learn how to lift a fucking spaceship
I dont often use the term "mary sue" but in this case it fits almost perfectly.
>>
>>67601952
>Why would anyone that likes the original trilogy hate TFA?

It's not dense enough.
No trillions upon trillions of troopers fighting and dying. Same for spacecraft. Saber combat is sluggish.
>>
>>67604117
So you're just disregarding my point entirely and you're going to continue to shitpost, even though I've proven that not including Luke DID piss people off, when you claimed that no one complained about it?

Okay.
>>
>>67604178
Sluggish as opposed to Obi Wan and Vader?
>>
8th: Galaxy killer base
9tth: Local group killer base
10th Universe killer base
11th Multiverse killer base
>>
>>67604351
8 will have something that copies the battle of hoth. 9 will have the galaxy killer.
>>
>>67604199
You're not even making a point, dude. Look at your posts. You jumped on the sarcastically exaggerated Luke comment, probably the most inconsequential part of my post, and ducked everything else. You're the only one shitposting. Chill out.
>>
>>67604244
For some reason i though OT was the prequels.
>>
>>67604151
She knew she had it, Kylo accidentally showed her.
>>
>>67604199
>I've proven that not including Luke DID piss people off.

one screencapped post lol
>>
>>67603873
>It is almost beat-for-beat A New Hope.
That doesn't equal playing it safe.

I'm not the guy you were talking to and I agree TFA played it pretty safe. But the anon is right in saying that the film took SOME risks, one of which was killing one of the most beloved characters of the OT. Just because it mirrors Obi Wan's death doesn't make it less of a risk.

Also they cast a black guy as a lead.
>>
>>67604523
>That doesn't equal playing it safe.
>I agree TFA played it pretty safe.

Everyone movie takes risks. But the ultimate point remains the same: the movie was very safe, followed ANH closely, and because of this fails to be memorable.
>>
>>67604574
I bet you're the dumb shit who says "well, the prequels were bad, but at LEAST THEY WERE ORIGINAL!!!!"
>>
guys we can stop pretending this film was good.
>>
>>67604457
The prequels definitely had more over the top lolCG action scenes than both, though for the most part it worked to its disadvantage and was either outright cringeworthy or gave it a sterile feel that killed the suspension of disbelief. If I want to watch a Jackie Chan movie I'll watch a Jackie Chan movie.
>>
>>67604523
Killing off Solo wasn't really a risk considering how tired and bored Ford looked and acted during that movie. It wasn't because his character was old he clearly didn't really want to be there and was just phoning it in.
>>
>>67604628
I find it honestly amusing I get told I'm shitposting and then this desperate swing of a point is made, not even bothering to engage the point, but trying to force words in my mouth.

No, the prequels were horribly bad. They tried to do original things but if that originality falls flat it doesn't really matter. Cramming dozens of newly designed aliens into a shot doesn't really make it original, either. Major sequences were mirror images of the originals or ripped off of other classic movies.
>>
File: 1459253110876.jpg (250 KB, 1024x708) Image search: [Google]
1459253110876.jpg
250 KB, 1024x708
>>67604523
>That doesn't equal playing it safe.
>>
>>67604668
They should have just had a depressed Chewie tag along without him ever mentioning Solo.
>>
>>67604668
If you think this was Harrison Ford phoning it in, you clearly haven't seen any other Harrison Ford movie released in the past 20 years
>>
>>67604668
Ford was fine, he was tired but also seemed to enjoy himself, it was Carrie who phoned it in.
>>
>>67604782
This. You wouldn't expect old man Han to be as energetic as young Han, and Ford was never an excellent actor.
>>
>>67604810
Carrie was depressed because she had been deprived of cake.
>>
>>67601952

Well let's see

OT
>fun, classic hero tale
>charming, relatable characters
>unique and interesting locations

TFA
>boring, by the marks big blockbuster movie
>the "classic hero tale" from the OT is twisted to accomodate JJ's retarded rehashed plot
>characters are just walking quips
>characters previously established get all their character arcs thrown out the window and reset to the very start of the OT to go back to status quo
>huge leaps in logic made to justify resetting the entire timeline to pre-ANH status
>soulless, unimpressive action sequences every 5 minutes that break the pace and make it impossible to establish the story and connection to the characters

I could go on but you get the idea

OT is a project that innovated filmmaking in various ways. TFA is just another Marvel-esque Disney blockbuster
>>
>>67604810
>>67604952
I think Carrie did fine, it's just that her voice and face have been permanently JUSTed due to decades of drug abuse.
>>
>>67604981
>le George Lucas as a misunderstood auteur meme and Disney is le ebul corporation!!!11!!

so you admit having an agenda in wanting to hate the movie?
>>
>>67604782
I haven't and that's the reason he hasn't given a shit in years and it shows.
>>67604810
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>67605032
>I have absolutely no counter-argument, I'll just use buzzwords and make up something that was never said or implied in the post. If I use meme do describe his argument that will make me look smart :^)

Nice strawman, you have to be literally retarded to think anyone would fall for that

You also forget that Lucas wasn't the only person involved in the OT so pretty much your entire brain fart goes out the window
>>
Because I watched the OT when it wasn't a pop nerd flick
>>
>>67605111
>You also forget that Lucas wasn't the only person involved in the OT so pretty much your entire brain fart goes out the window

My point that by the end of the OT, RotJ especially, the series had dropped any pretense of being solely about artistic merit and had become a moneymaking machine

>George spared Han Solo from death at the last second because he was afraid it would lower toy sales
>Ewoks made solely to appeal to children

Yet disney is eeeeeeevil and the OT is a gold standard of artistry in filmmaking
>>
>>67602144
What's the context of this video?
>>
>>67605474
audition
>>
File: Brienne Trash.png (420 KB, 680x697) Image search: [Google]
Brienne Trash.png
420 KB, 680x697
>>67603480
>TFA was excellent
>>
>>67605856
It was good.
>>
>>67604668
They said they killed off Solo to give the movie some weight. What a pile of shit this movie is, when they go "Wow nothing happens and there is no tension, lets kill off Han" Like no expected him to die in this movie.
>>
File: image.jpg (256 KB, 1918x816) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
256 KB, 1918x816
>>67601952
Some questions I had:

>Who is Rey? What are the joys of living on Jakku? What are the joys of working on the Falcon?

>What did FN get out of being a trooper? What does he get out of the Resistance? Do they trust him?

>Who is Poe? He's the most interesting character in the movie. The nearest to being an adult. Were his family members planted by the Empire several generations ago? Is he being offered the chance to change sides?
>>
I havent seen it yet. Im affraid too,
>>
File: crying.jpg (58 KB, 523x648) Image search: [Google]
crying.jpg
58 KB, 523x648
>>67606646
What are you afraid of, senpai?
>>
>>67606588
>being this autistic
>>
>>67602402
I will be so mad if he turns to the dark side. It literally spits all over the OT. Ren destroying his jedi academy is enough to make his character a little bitch.
>>
Because it's literally capeshit
>>
>>67606704
I think i just better hang on to the past.

I can go no further. Im not allowed.
>>
>>67606719
>Characters
>autistic
There's really no hope for Disney-Daisy fans
>>
>>67604668
>It wasn't because his character was old he clearly didn't really want to be there and was just phoning it in.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought this
Having any of the original actors was a bad idea cinematically and the best possible idea financially and they all knew this.

I begged for his death so I could remember him as of ROTJ where we should have left him, instead of giving him an almost Indiana Jones fate
>>
>>67608147
and that's my problem with Star Wars. Instead of expanding anything or doing anything new they just dug up the same plot and characters over and over again so they could make nods and references because the fans are so desperate for anything good after decades of garbage they eat it up even if its super mediocre.
>>
>>67608482
Yeah they should have just ditched the old characters entirely to appease you, a single autistic sperglord on the Internet

TFA relies much more on its new characters than the old anyway. Han doesn't show up until 45 minutes in, Leia not until an hour and a half, and luke is in 1 scene. The old characters are around to pass the torch to the new generation, they're not the focus
>>
>>67608768
I never said it did. I said they could have made something interesting without digging up the original cast for a few scenes the didn't even matter so they can make shots for the trailer. They weren't necessary and it made the movie worse but they had to do it because in Star Wars everything in the entire universe has to revolve around the same 6 people and their kids or parents because we don't want to do anything new or different.
>>
>>67603159
I really enjoyed it.
I knew it was never going to be exactly like the OT but it was fun. I really enjoyed Adam drivers acting and I thought boyega had a lot of charisma.
It was a fun film.
>>
>>67609042
>has to revolve around the same 6 people
that's why I don't want another Skywalker. Kylo is all right but it's time to move on.
The books, comics and cartoons more or less offer some diversity though.
>>
>>67609042
You're just autistic and mad characters people enjoy are in the movie
>>
>>67602104
Cause she has a giant meaty head and is all greasy and I don't get turned on by cute girls
>>
>>67609164
and even Kylo is Han and Lea's son. I liked the twins they had in the old books.
>>67609196
never mentioned anything about being mad I just feel bad for SW fans because there is so much SW stuff and 90+% of it is crap
>>
File: bhMP5CJ.png (233 KB, 269x420) Image search: [Google]
bhMP5CJ.png
233 KB, 269x420
>>67609326
>>
>>67609362
Muh eu is not a valid criticism of TFA, sperg
>>
>>67602104
She looks 11 yo, no tits, no ass.
Not that I hate her, but you'll see when you grow up that men tends to have some needs.
>>
>>67609446
not really trying to compare the 2 I just mentioned it because we were talking about main characters kids. And why is it not valid to mention the old EU? sure its not cannon but its still there to look at as examples for what they could have done.
>>
File: 1458588428927.jpg (729 KB, 2634x4263) Image search: [Google]
1458588428927.jpg
729 KB, 2634x4263
>>67602104
she's ight

I have a soft spot for Britcucks
>>
>>67601952
>Why would anyone that likes the original trilogy hate TFA?

You mean why would anyone who liked the original hate a glorified Reddit movie filled with quips, "equality, yay!", nonsensical plot-lines that go nowhere, and a mary sue character who's a glib facsimile of Luke, which mirrors the fact that the movie is just a glib facsimile of A New Hope?

Gee, I don't know, why WOULD anyone hate it?
>>
>>67601952
>Why love OT not TFA ?
Well... TFA is a copy / redraw of characters and places of the OT (why would anyone who loved the original have any attraction for the copy).
EXECPT for the Force which is reduced to a magic trick any noob can masterise in TFA, while in the OT it's a path of wisdom the audience can discover and learn about in the journey of the hero.
>Why watch TFA anyway ?
I must be a fanboy and I can't help looking forward any new development of the universe.
>>
>>67601952
It was boring, Kyle Ren wasn't a good character, Rey wasn't interesting, retreading Ep. IV doesn't make the movie good, it makes it uninspired.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.