[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dredd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: 1458692925083.jpg (45 KB, 341x411) Image search: [Google]
1458692925083.jpg
45 KB, 341x411
Why was this rated pretty bad by the critics? I honestly think its similar to the raid which got better reviews, or mad max which even got lots of oscars
>>
I mean it all of the films i listed focuses on action rather than the plot, also bleak dark world
>>
Shameless self bump
>>
Dunno. I thought it was really good.
>>
File: dr.jpg (80 KB, 755x353) Image search: [Google]
dr.jpg
80 KB, 755x353
>>67594247
Was it?
>>
>>67595607
I had no idea that was the RT score.

OP, you're a retard.
>>
>>67594247
I thought it did well critically but it flopped at the box office?

Whatever, it was a great film and is getting cult recognition.
>>
>>67595607
Average rating 6.5
>>
it wasn't
>>
>>67595822
Well metacritic has a 59 score and the RT rating although 79% is just 6.5
>>
>>67594247
Its nowhere near the raid in terms of choreography.

I think it deserves a solid 7, but its not a masterpiece either.
>>
>>67594247

It was favorably reviewed you fucking ignorant piece of shit.
>>
>>67596618
Guns and hand to hand fights focus on different aspects anon
>>
>>67594247
I really liked the movie. Plus Judge Dredd was super hot. If I lived in that world I'd have offered him my boipucci the first chance I got.
>>
>>67596655
6/10 isnt favorable its just above average
>>
>>67596618
Also why wouldnt it be higher than 7/10 and why is it received differently than mad max which ended up with loads of awards
>>
>>67594247
>>67594247

Karl Urban owned the role.

The DVD sales were great though. Talks of a sequel maybe.

Too bad they never bothered to market the movie in the first place. At least it's still earning a profit through DVD.
>>
>>67594247

I personally don't like action movies which take place in one closed place the whole time, I was expecting him to get out of the building and see sick car chases, shooting on the open etc. but then I realized that the entire movie is going to take place in the building
>>
It lacked moments of satirical humour.
But then cunts would have said it ripped off RoboCop.
RoboCop was a Dredd ripoff as we all know.
>>
>>67596719
>20 years in the isocubes, creep!
>>
>>67596957
But for casual watchers who doesnt know about dredd its a very well made action movie. What i dont get is why mad max is any different
>>
One of it's really big problems was
>ITS THE FUCKING FUTURE
>THIS IS MEGACITY ONE
>A HUGE SPRAWLING MEGA CITY
>ITS FUCKING HUGE DUDE
>THERE'S ALSO AN EVEN HUGER WASTELAND FILLED WITH GOD KNOWS WHAT

>okay now forget all about that cuz we're going to have the entire movie in one small set that looks like any apartment building (except for some of the greenscreen stuff) and everyone's dressed like an idiot
>>
>>67597254
yeah i guess the world building was intended for sequels???
>>
>>67594247
the raid has better cinematography but yeah critics are plebs
>>
>>67597316
show don't tell nigga
>>
>>67596543
About all it deserves.

It's an okay movie that's exceptional for shoot em up movie standards.
>>
>>67597656
The raid got 7.5 nigga
>>
>Karl Urban will never be Batman and Antje Traue will never be Wonder Woman
help me this universe is hell
>>
>>67597745
Okay? It's an exceptional genre film that tops it's peers, but let's not pretend it's some ground breaking 9/10 masterpiece.
>>
>>67596543
Which means something like "it's for genre fans". I like this movie but I wouldn't recommend it to my grandmother.
>>
>>67597108
I loved Dredd but Pete Travis is no George Miller.
Mad Max is immaculate on almost every level. Dredd is above average.
>>
File: 1455685881438.png (570 KB, 594x766) Image search: [Google]
1455685881438.png
570 KB, 594x766
>>67597912
How so?
>>
It didnt capture the dredd aesthetic at all
>>
>>67594247
>rated pretty bad by the critics

Was it? Don't know, don't care, just watched it and enjoyed it.
>>
>>67594247
Dredd was great and I heard nothing but praise about it when it came out.

I'll never understand why people like Mad Meme. 0 plot and the same repetitive shots of cars in deserts with people jumping across them.
>>
>>67594247
The best thing about Dredd is that it got the character of Judge Dredd perfect. Like, they nailed it.

But I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. Clearly a lot of love went into making it and as a Dredd fan I could watch it once a week, but it's not some elevated level of film or something. It's good and fun and violent. It almost feels like a decent Die Hard movie with John McClane swapped for Judge Dredd.
>>
>>67594247
>not "Absolutely Dreddful"
>>
>>67597254

exactly this 2bh
>>
>>67598009
The visuals and cinematography of Mad Max, as well as the staging of the action scenes, are 10/10. Again, I love Dredd, but it features nothing as visually inventive or insanely choreographed as some of the car chases in Mad Max. Those chases had so many moving parts and details, as well as stupefying stunts that were literally death-defying. Dredd features one guy shooting other guys in the head for an hour and half. Its just not nearly as complex or well-made as Mad Max. A lot of that has to with the budget and production design. The vehicles in Mad Max alone were better designed than any aspect of Dredd.
>>
File: Sad-Frog-Meme-22[1].jpg (5 KB, 238x250) Image search: [Google]
Sad-Frog-Meme-22[1].jpg
5 KB, 238x250
>and Almost Human got cancelled
Why live?
>>
>>67598271
That's debatable. Despite how much praise the Dredd comics get for continuity and the original creator still writing stories Dredd himself is wildly inconsistent. There are many stories where Dredd would've killed the two juvies and flunked Anderson. Him even asking her why she wants to be a Judge could also be out of character in several stories because in a few of them he doesn't give a fuck about his fellow Judges.
>>
>>67596543
that's not that bad
if i had to give it a number, then i'd probably give it a six myself, and i liked the movie quite a bit.
>>
This is one of the few movies that I didn't regret watching in 3D
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.