[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? Initially i thought that hating this movie was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: wew.png (55 KB, 679x173) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
55 KB, 679x173
What went wrong?
Initially i thought that hating this movie was just a /tv/ meme, but it seems like the majority of people genuinely hated it.
>>
>>67594063
There are far more people than you'd think who expected a superhero action film.
>>
>>67594063
It was really disappointing, he barely uses his superhero powers.
>>
>>67594095
I don't think that's true at all.
There may be some, but the majority knew that they were going into an arthouse film, especially those who bought it after it won Academy Awards for Best Picture. In fact, most people complain about how this movie got any academy awards.
>>
It wasn't the best movie of 2014, and it wasn't Inarritu's best work, but I will say that goddamn, people are morons and expected something else, and when they didn't get what they wanted on a silver platter, they complained.

Same thing happened with Drive. I even remember some lady tried suing a theater for false advertising.
>>
>>67594063
They presumed from the title/poster that it was going to be a superhero flick, but then turned out to be a drama about a stage play with just a bit too much drumming in the background
>>
>>67594217
>>67594095
That literally only applies to 5% of people who hate this movie. I read through a lot of the 1 Star "reviews" and most of those people claim that they appreciate arthouse films and consider themselves intellectuals
>>
>>67594171
The thing is, the Academy Awards aren't for "arthouse" movies. They're for Spotlight, Argo, and The King's Speech.

Safe, very competent, sometimes good, movies, but still very Anglocentric-bio dramas. Again, Birdman isn't the greatest movie ever, but experimentation isn't treated well by most people, for the most part, unless it's a very easy to swallow concept like T W E L V E Y E A R S.
>>
I actually liked it, I think it will age well and the haters are just plebs who like Marvel and DC flavor of the month flicks
>>
People hate movies that are challenging in any way.

I'm not trying to say Birdman is complex, but you guys are seriously overestimating the mindstate of the average movie watcher.

I'd hazard a guess that at least half the people that watched this film said "this is weird" and gave it 1-2 stars
>>
>>67594273
>and most of those people claim that they appreciate arthouse films and consider themselves intellectuals
And yet they're writing amazon reviews. I looked through some 1 star pieces, and discovered these fun buzzwords:
>over-hyped
>This movie got praise
>through a combination of hype and pretension

It goes on. So most of the complaints aren't about actual qualities of the film, just about what they expected, or were told, and when it didn't explicitly "deliver", they were upset.

You could go further and look at some of their other reviews or some of their flaws in writing, but as always, public perception can never be trusted due to the public's inability to not buy into "hype", and then scream "OVERRATED" when it doesn't, well, do whatever they expected it to do, which I guess by reading some of these reviews is be Forrest Gump.
>>
>>67594063

It simply isn't very interesting or entertaining.
I don't know what people get from pretending to like this kind of crap.
>>
self - indulgent, masturbatory, and only relatable to actors or cinephiles. To the rest of the normal population in the world who appreciate quality entertainment, this movie is horrible and doesn't make any sense. I cannot even comprehend the reasoning behind the accolades, other than attributing it to politics or denial of a terrible movie. My husband owes me one for dragging me to this hot mess.
>>
BIRDMAN was an insult to the movie going public. It was self serving crap with no point except how self centered a sick many actors and the Hollywood establishment are. This is BS story,not a real story like "AMERICAN SNIPER". Hollywood giving itself an "OSCAR" for this abortion of a movie shows how disconnected Hollywood is from the moviegoing audience.
>>
ITT films that women will never understand
>>
Not worth the $5 rental. A self-absorbed story about narcissistic actors with the singular religion of being recognized for their "work," or otherwise risk becoming drunks and suicidal. Zero character development, except for the Birdman's daughter. My guess is the writer and director of the crummy movie is jealous of Robert Downey Jr.'s success as Ironman.
>>
the only positive thing to come from birdman was ribbit posting
>>
What really fails in this movie is a lack of pacing. It's constant chaos. The plot arc is a finetoothed sawtooth, and so every moment you're watching is during, or immediately between conflicts.

These conflicts are often unrelated and involve distinct characters. It's trying too hard with a lot of techniques that are amplifying the negatives of each other.

This may have worked, but the decision to make the movie a single uninterrupted shot made it far too intense. There's not even a visual break from the conflict, no fade to black that resets your emotions. And that relief doesn't come thematically, or from any of the characters. Each character generates conflict, and most never got resolved during the course of the movie. The sawtooths just get higher and higher as the movie progresses.

There is an element of magical realism that tries to reduce this at points. However, it's not consistent throughout the movie, and it's most obvious application came long after I had been overwhelmed and lasted too long.

This movie is the only movie I have every wanted to walk out of, but one person wanted to stay. The worst part is that I had to watch it ruin Raymond Carver for a couple hours. If people call you stupid for not liking it, go read "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love", and then realize that you can make the same point much better without trying so hard.

I have no idea how this won any award beyond the same in-crowd madness that lead to Mulholland Drive being praised.
>>
Crude and unnessessary language. We turned it off in the first 15 minutes!
>>
It was just too weird for my taste. I seriously hate movies like "Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind" or "Event Horizon". If those are your kind of movies, then you can probably stand this one. I like movies for their entertainment value not necessarily the artsy-ness or cinematography.
>>
I worked at a movie theatre when this came out and a lot of people (particularly families) walked half way and demanded a refund.
>>
>>67594649
>reasoning behind the accolades
>>67594678
>Hollywood giving itself an "OSCAR"
>>67594726
>I have no idea how this won any award
Like I said here: >>67594451, all these people are hung up about awards and expectations. The one I didn't quote, >>67594702, only mentions "character development" once, and spends the rest of his time complaining about >muh establishment and >muh RDJ.
>>
>>67594649
>self - indulgent, masturbatory, and only relatable to actors or cinephiles

That was the whole point though. That was the joke and it was winking at the audience the whole time. It wouldn't have worked and rubbed the people it mattered to the wrong way had it not been self aware and relishing in its own pretentions. Unlike how it was in The Revenant the self indulgence and the masturbation served a clear thematic purpose.
>>
File: Capture.png (65 KB, 1064x178) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
65 KB, 1064x178
>normie reviews
>>
>>67594903
Soon it will settle into it's natural habitat. Playing on network television of Saturday afternoons
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (41 KB, 513x81) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
41 KB, 513x81
>>67594063
>but it seems like the majority of people genuinely hated it.

Good sample size, OP
>>
File: Of course.png (18 KB, 981x170) Image search: [Google]
Of course.png
18 KB, 981x170
>>67594903
>>
>>67595015
I'd trust Amazon to be more representative of a normie opinion though.
IMDB is full of autismals that "fix" a score by voting behind proxies and by getting other autismals to vote with them, while no one cares about an Amazon score, not even Amazon, so you'll get things a bit more unfiltered.
>>
>>67594063
It's very cut and paste of far better concepts and material.
>>
File: 1458502214837.jpg (27 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1458502214837.jpg
27 KB, 645x773
>>67594063
Thanks for making me read through some of those reviews
>>
wew
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.