[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you guys be hyped for a Silmarilion HBO mini-series in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
Would you guys be hyped for a Silmarilion HBO mini-series in the style of Band of Brothers or the Pacific?

I feel like it would be the only way to get in all the content and not make it feel like it's full of filler like the hobbit did
without jackson, of course, or with way more time to flesh out his ideas
>>
Nope. You people think Jackson's LotR is good, I shudder to think how low the bar could sink and you fucking millennial trash would still say it's great
>>
Hell no. It would be a mess.
>>
File: gotg.jpg (97 KB, 486x720) Image search: [Google]
gotg.jpg
97 KB, 486x720
>>67587086
>how low the bar could sink and you fucking millennial trash would still say it's great
>>
>>67586498
No, a miniseries couldn't capture the grandiose of what it would need and instead be almost a reverse of what the hobbit was. Still relying on extreme amounts of cgi but instead of the story would have to be crammed into each episode and since TV shows have no where the same budget as big blockbusters do forgot about the scale and grandiose of what made the original trilogy great. As a hardcore LOTR fan I'd rather not see The Simarillion turned into a TV series than made at all.
>>
They would have to gloss over so much of the creation myth to appeal to general audiences it would lose the point of the book.
>>
>>67586498

Where would they film it? Who would they get to helm it like D n D for GoT?
>>
>>67587333
>implying they would have that much creative license

fuck off, tim
>>
holy shit guys leave middle earth alone, let tolkien sleeps.

It's crystal clear that lord of the rings is a one hit wonder, no more

no more.
>>
>>67587395
well one things for sure, the crew was very worn out and tired looking for the hobbit. I've been watching the appendices and it's just so bad.
del toro would definitely have done better though
>>
>no jackson

Can we stop this meme? He was never meant to direct The Hobbit. He never wanted to do it. Del Taco bailed like the fat flakey fuck he is and PJ had to pick up the pieces and salvage what he could before shooting began.
>>
>>67586498
Silmarillion is not adaptable to film. It's a collections of creation myths and legends of Tolkien's universe. It doesn't have a plot per se. Tolkien who is a professor of medieval literature, modeled it after Elder Edda and that kind of prose. If you you want another prequels about rings being made better not call it Silmarillion at all.
>>
>>67587910
Just like Dune.
These classic novels/series should just be left alone and new material thought up instead of adaptations that hurt the brand.

What're some other novels/books that aren't adaptable? I can't off hand think of any
>>
File: elves.png (224 KB, 365x301) Image search: [Google]
elves.png
224 KB, 365x301
>>67586498
the problem with silmarillion is its got too much mythology and too much elves. mass audiences only care about the mythology if you slowdrip it as "worldbuilding" and "lore", so telling ainulindale and valaquenta as they are written is already off the table. elves are a problem because they're only tolerated when they share equal time and importance with dwarves and humans. but dwarves are a footnote in the silmarillion and humans only show up halfway through quenta silmarillion.

so now you've got an entire season --maybe 2 given the level of detail tolkien goes into-- of nothing but elves talking about elf stuff and "muh valar". sure melkor is there, but a lot of the early drama is still going to be elf on elf.

lastly, this takes place during the height of the elven culture in middle earth, and the locations should make rivendell and lothlorien look tame. to do it right would cost far more than what a TV series would be normally budgeted for.
>>
If it had a majority practical sets yeah, but they'd probably just end up with CGI that's shittier than the hobbit. CGI in HBO shows isn't good enough to properly do half of the crazy shit in the tolkein universe, you'd need a movie budget and even then you still might end up with the Hobbit.
>>
>>67586498
If it could be done properly, yes, but I suspect that would be too ambitious.
>>
>>67587991
>What're some other novels/books that aren't adaptable?

The Shadow of the Torturer
House of Leaves
The Left Hand of Darkness
Berserk
>>
File: 0982342232.jpg (357 KB, 902x1200) Image search: [Google]
0982342232.jpg
357 KB, 902x1200
I think Children of Hurin could make a good movie or mini-series.
>>
>>67590245
It's too nihilistic to make an adaptation these days. Grimdark is out of fashion
>>
>>67586498
'no'. It would be shit, because of all the invention that would be needed to fill out dialogue and link the plot together.

It wouldn't work well as an episodic series, but better as something like what Ufotable did to KNK. Mixed length movies that are stand alone with bits of an ongoing narrative throughout.

>trusting TV execs to produce something that they couldn't padout as a cashcow
>>
>>67590076
Berserk would make an awesome fucking movie.

Why is it unadaptable?
>>
>>67590622
Too long, too much gore, too much nudity, who would you even cast in it
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.