[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what films or animation perfectly capture the cyberpunk theme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: bladerunner.jpg (228 KB, 1920x795) Image search: [Google]
bladerunner.jpg
228 KB, 1920x795
what films or animation perfectly capture the cyberpunk theme?
>>
Was Blade Runner really cyberpunk?

It was just about robots. There really wasn't a cyberspace or oppressive megacorp society element to it.

Also the book was better and published before cyberpunk was a thing.

Go watch Ghost in the Shell and Serial Experiments Lain.
>>
File: black_rain4.jpg (75 KB, 1014x448) Image search: [Google]
black_rain4.jpg
75 KB, 1014x448
Black Rain reminds me in a lot of ways of Alphaville, which used then-modernistic/futuristic settings and gadgets to give it a futuristic feel. Similarly Black rain feels Cyberpunk by virtue of the fact that 80's Japan is very cyberpunk.
>>
File: 1458583309149.jpg (107 KB, 755x340) Image search: [Google]
1458583309149.jpg
107 KB, 755x340
>>67572075
>Was Blade Runner really cyberpunk?
>go watch Ghost in the Shell, a movie whose director, and mangaka called "Post-Cyberpunk" and not cyberpunk
>>
>>67572267
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3_6GHMO6PE&t=13m29s
>>
Batman Beyond
>>
File: woaw.jpg (140 KB, 690x700) Image search: [Google]
woaw.jpg
140 KB, 690x700
blade runner is my favorite movie, but i think it's a little unfair sometimes that it's always used as "the example" of when "cyberpunk" (which is kind of ill-defined in my book, possibly inherently) started bleeding into film.

you just need to dig more.
>>
>>67572716
Pretty cyberpunk in the Shadowrun sense.

I wish they had more of Terry hacking and entering cyberspace as a parallel to Bruce's detective work. Would have been a good way to force him to use his wits instead of his superpowers.
>>
>>67571952
I don't know how you feel about anime, but Akira and Ghost in the Shell are pretty solid.
>>
Somehow season 2 of Danger 5 gets it really on the nose.
>>
>>67572267
It's been a long time since, but when I watched Ghost in the Shell I immediately thought of Neuromancer. Gibson's work deals a lot with Japanese Megacorp. culture in a dystopian not-too-distant future. Japan is cleaner, "safer" and the population in more evenly moneyed than the UK or North America- because it is so insular, as it was after they nuked em in the 40s. They export, do not import, not even cheap sugary western culture. In ghost it's exactly the same, as it is in neuromancer. Ghost is full fucking bore cyberpunk, just not your white grandpa's cyberpunk.
>>
>>67572075
>It was just about robots. There really wasn't a cyberspace or oppressive megacorp society element to it.
Yes there was, you weren't paying attention. In Blade Runner megacorps have colonized other planets and made Earth a desolate shithole. The poor wallow on Earth while the upper class thrives on planets that are clean and lush.
>Go watch Ghost in the Shell and Serial Experiments Lain.
Both of those were highly influenced by Blade Runner.
>>
>>67572937
Yeah that would have been pretty cool
>>
>>67573123
I'm not saying it can't come full circle, the problem might be that I read the book first and didn't care much for the film.

It didn't feel cyberpunk to me in the same way something like Neuromancer did. It just felt like a robot science-fiction film set in the future.

Obviously plenty of science-fiction stories have borrowed directly from Blade Runner since then, that has no bearing on whether or not they're cyberpunk. Snatcher is a computer game that's pretty much a Blade Runner rip-off, it's really good, but it's not cyberpunk.
>>
>>67572892
It does have the Megacorp influence- Tyrell ffs. It's waay more biopunk though.
>>
Blade Runner is cyberpunk. Just because other cyberpunk media explorers different themes (which is what makes Cyberpunk a genre and not just a setting) doesn't make Blade Runner not cyberpunk.

Here's a quick definition
>Cyberpunk is a postmodern science fiction genre that tells stories of "high tech and low life" - dystopian visions of the future which are defined by advanced science and technology as well as a breakdown of social order.
>>
>>67573519
That's rather outdated. The genre has splintered into enough distinct sub-genres that calling Blade Runner cyberpunk feels provincial.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.