[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did this awful flick make one billion dollars?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5
File: Avengers-Assemble-12.jpg (340 KB, 1330x748) Image search: [Google]
Avengers-Assemble-12.jpg
340 KB, 1330x748
How did this awful flick make one billion dollars?
>>
>>67571869
hype
>>
It was Marvels first "all your kids favorite superheros working together movie"
>>
>>67571869
Kids and their parents
>>
>hype
>competent if not divisive director used to shaping pop culture phenoms
>decent to great actors in main roles
>good composer
>'fun for all ages'
>>
plebs
>>
File: 756c26c5b247cfb14f0452c9a8190ae.png (142 KB, 197x273) Image search: [Google]
756c26c5b247cfb14f0452c9a8190ae.png
142 KB, 197x273
>>67571976
>Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow, Thor, Ugly Arrow guy
>all your kids favorite superheroes
oh and
>inb4 Russofags fail to remember that nobody but a few NEETs cared about Cap after seeing The First Avenger
>>
Scarjo in a leather outfit can do wonders to your finances.
>>
>>67572200
Yeah pretty much excluding spidey thou
>>
>>67572312
She was way hotter in iron Man 2 though.
>>
>>67571869
You mean awful film. It's a great flick
>>
File: MQZIAN9.jpg (215 KB, 1440x2024) Image search: [Google]
MQZIAN9.jpg
215 KB, 1440x2024
>>67571869
Ass blasted DCuck detected, sorry BvS bombed so hard.
>>
>>67571869
The same reason Transformers movies make 1 billion.

Pretty colors.
>>
>>67571869
Fuck caps suit looks like shit in this movie
>>
>>67572452
>bombed
$400 million and counting fuccboi
>>
It appeals to every denominator possible. That's not criticism, so don't take it like that. The movie was designed to not offend anyone and not propose a challenging plot or characters.

It is accessible to every audience and followed in the wake of well made origin stories.
>>
>>67571869
dat Cap Costume.
>>
>>67572452
I fucking hate marveldrones now.
>>
>>67571869

Every character besides Hawkeye and Black Widow had their own movie.I bet a ton of normies didn't even know an Avengers team existed before they saw the first trailer. So hype was big.
>>
>>67571976
Can we let this "UUURRRVREYBODY LUUUURVED DUHVENGERS" meme die? Mousekateers act like everybody had been dying to see Hawkeye FINALLY team up with Iron man and the Mighty cucking Thor for years. Nobody gave two shits about ANY of these characters before the movies.
>>
File: tumblr_n8vfwy3wRW1r04zqro1_500.gif (880 KB, 420x236) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8vfwy3wRW1r04zqro1_500.gif
880 KB, 420x236
>>67572200
>mfw the only time i've ever actually enjoyed a marvel flick was at the end of Cap 1
>mfw i'm NEET
>>
>>67571869

It was an event movie that had been built up for years with a competent cast who for the most part portrayed their characters well, had a consistent tone, had coherent long-shot action even if it was generic, didn't ask pretentious philosophical questions, was mostly faithful to the spirit of the comics, had a lowpoint for the characters to fight back from, the villain's actor gets all the grills for whatever reason, and the soundtrack worked fairly well.

Sorry if it wasn't contrarian enough for /tv/.
>>
>>67572750
Yeah, unlike DC where nobody gave two shits after the movies.
>>
>>67572750
Except they did, you didn't obviously
>>
>>67572750
nobody gave two shits about them after either
>>
>>67572576
29%
>>
>>67572827
The soundtrack was as generic and unimpressive as everything else in this movie. The only thing that sets it apart from other generic action movies is the humor, and the humor isn't actually funny to anyone but normie cucks and six year olds. Everything about it is aggressively meh.
>>
>>67572983
whats with the soundtrack in literally every marvel movie anyway? they are always shit if it's not a licensed song.
>>
>>67572881
Are you honestly going to try to spin Hawkeye as an iconic character? Literally nobody apart from fanboys knew anything about any of these characters. With the exception of Captain America and Hulk, they weren't even iconic by comic book standards.
>>
>>67573023
Yeah, Marvel is amazingly unimpressive overall. Hell of a lot better than BvS, but that good by comparison is not the same as good.
>>
>>67571869

I liked the part where the aliens all had a huge mother ship that if you destroy it, it kills all the aliens like in every movie with aliens in it. I also really like the part where iron man had to get over his selfishness and sacrifice himself to save the world, but he didn't because of course he lives. I also like how the Hulk magically becomes tameable during the fight. I also like how he punched something 1000 times heavier than himself to a stand still without himself actually moving. I also like how Loki's brainwashing staff power is reversed by going unconscious. I really like how Agent Phil was thrown into the story. He was an awesome character! Then they kill him. How sad! It really got the avengers motivated though! Whoo you go get 'em. Loki didn't see that coming.

I don't see the point of these movies really. Nothing special happens, they all won't die. The bad guy doesn't even die, civilians don't die, nothing cool happens besides everyone nearly getting killed but just barely making it out alive while doing some twirly back flip at 3094834 miles per hour and landing on their feet while tricking the bad guy into telling them all his secrets and then throwing in a one liner while making a heroic sacrifice to save the world with an awesome impromptu plan that involves 70 year old technology that instantly solves all the worlds problems by destroying an overwhelming evil force that we are all supposed to be terrified of. Hey retarded council in this shitty movie. Instead of sending a nuke at Manhattan why don't you send it in the portal? Actually just send 200 of them in there. Problem solved you win, the end. You don't need the avengers dicking around, or a trillion dollar aircraft carrier that flies and cloaks and is completely useless.

P.S. Captain America can't kill one guy with an assault rifle.
>>
>>67571869
hunchback of notre Hulk
>>
>>67573178
Hadn't seen any of these films since avengers, watched captain america and iron man 3 recently.

They're pretty fucking boring. Some okay dialog here, but just zero stakes and so much CGI. Everyone has some insane technology answer to everything. Black Widow fucking pulls a perfect nano-blahblahblah mask off. Everyone just seems to gain powers and abilities as necessary.
>>
>>67573068
No, obviously not cause him and Widow are Shield agents who don't need a standalone movie
But as for everyone else like Cap and Tin man yeah
>>
>>67573178
>I don't see the point of these movies really.
There isn't one. They're light hearted family flicks with no stakes or passion or anything remotely interesting happening in literally any of them. But for some reason, society has decided that they are the best movies in the world, and all other movies should emulate them.
>>
>>67573288
If in the year 2008, you went up to 100 random people on the street and asked them, "who is Steve Rogers" or ,"who is Tony Stark," how many people do you truthfully feel would answer correctly? I can't imagine it would be all that many. How many people would have been able to tell you who Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent were? Damn near all of them. That's what iconic looks like.
>>
Stay mad DCuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g0SdpF0v0k
>>
the sniper character... wtf... pointless.

fucking hate comic book shit
>>
>>67573512
If that's true tell me, how did DC manage to fuck up so badly then?
>>
a world full of manchilds
>>
>>67573512
They are iconic too, not Batman and Spider-Man level where people can randomly name drop their villains and shit but you're delusional if you think they where literal who's especially during a time with no JUST league
As for DC people can only name Batman and batman related stuff, now you can ask any random people on the street if they can name JL members and then they can barley name them especially kids
>>
it was pretty fun, ultron was shit though
>>
>>67573695
What does that have to do with anything? Zack Snyder made a bad movie, that has nothing to do with the characters themselves. If anything, the box office numbers speak to the fact that the characters are bigger than the shitty movie they have the misfortune of appearing in. Are you implying that Zack Snyder is would be incapable of making a bad movie using Iron Man and Captain America?
>>
>>67572452
>tfw every future criticism at Marvel will be flooded with "muh BvS failure, le damage control DCuck" replies
>>
>>67573862
Kids probably can't name many US Presidents either. And I have a hard time believing people wouldn't recognize Wonder Woman, Flash, Aqua Man or Superman.
>>
lots of people liked it?
>>
>>67571869

Go away Zack, we're not helping you figure out how to make a good movie.
>>
>>67574056
>tfw every current criticism at DC is flooded with "muh opening weekend" and that one faggots pretentious review
>>
>>67574060
Superman yeah, the rest ehhh
>>
>>67573512
TFW I still don't know Hawkeye or Black Widow's real name.
>>
>>67571869
>How did this awful flick make one billion dollars?
Like the old man said. As a team.

Fuck yea! I'm out /co/
>>
Clever marketing and a long-con sort of build up of hype
>>
>>67574200
Okay, are you actually telling me that if you showed someone a picture of Aqua man, Wonder Woman or the Flash, MOST would not recognize them? They may not know their origins or secret identities, but they have been pop culture mainstays longer than most people on the planet have been alive. Are you telling me when family guy makes an Aqua man joke, people are like, who? Are you telling that when people think of a female super hero, the first words that come to a normie's head are not "Wonder Woman"? Are you telling me that the Flash is not character most closely associated with such a ridiculously simple concept of running at superhuman speeds? These are not just pop culture characters that happen to be popular at the moment, they are literally figures ingrained in American culture.
>>
>>67571869
>flick

its kino
>>
>>67571869
By being really good and putting previous superhero movies to shame.
>>
>>67574595
Okay, because Dark Knight and Spider-man 2 were such steaming piles. Thank god Avengers came along and showed us how to do it right.
>>
>>67574528

You're right about wonder woman and the flash (I think mostly to do with his tv shows advertisements) but all the normies I've talked to about BvS don't know who Aquaman is.
>>
>>67574642
Dark Knight had almost no quips. How could it be good?
>>
>>67571869
People have bad taste.
Simple as that.
>>
>>67574690
...Are your friends under the age of 10? Aqua man being useless and silly is probably mankind's first meme. Granted, if they're basing it on BvS, Aqua man looks nothing like Aqua man.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 429x399) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 429x399
>>67571869
despite the contrarianism of /tv/, it was a perfect summer blockbuster full of

>A-list actors (ScarJo, Sam Jackson, Ruffelo, Robert Manlet Jr.)

>eye candy for the masses (ScarJo, Chris "sluts be damned" Evans, Chris Hemsworth)

>a decent and serviceable script

>a entertaining villain

and

>decent CGI and easy to keep track of action scenes

All in all, it was a 8/10 summer blockbuster when most summer blockbusters are 5 or 6/10s.
>>
>>67571869
Because it appeals to the golden demographic trifecta. Kid's love it because they're stupid, parents taking their kids love it because it is unoffensive and not mind-numbingly dumb like Pokemon or that sort of thing, and fanbois love it because they're stupid.
>>
>>67572452
It had a higher grossing opening weekend than any Marvel movie has ever had.
>>
>>67571869
For the same reason as the "Big Bang Theory" thread is blowing up right now. People like garbage.
>>
The stupid post-credits bullshit that hinted to it in all the movies preceding. I'm finished waiting for those scenes, it's a fucking meme at this point.
>>
>>67573512
This is true and even more reason why DC's repeated failures are so embarrassing. Supes and Bats are way bigger names than any of the Marvel crew and they still blew the biggest movie for either character.
>>
>>67572200
Kids fucking loved the Hulk what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>67573512
Why not just ask them if they've ever heard of Captain America or Iron Man?
>>
>>67571869
By not hiring Snyder.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.