[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Correcting incorrect criticism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
One of the biggest complaints I hear about Batman vs. Superman is that Batman and Superman became friends just because their mothers have the same first name. That is complete bullshit and if you really believe it, you're a pleb.

> first scene of the movie
> Batman has a nightmare
> his father's dying words were Martha
> his father is the most influential person in his life
> innocently murdered, his last words were Martha
> fast forward 30 years
> Batman is nearly psychotic
> Getting ready to kill Superman
> "Martha"
> Batman has a moment of clarity
> realizes he was getting ready to become what he hated

Do people really need to have characters explain every little thing that is happening on the screen?
>>
>>67561947
thank you, i thought i was the only one who liked it. batmans sole purpose in life is to avenge his parents death, hearing his own mothers name shook him to his core
>>
>>67562111
the movie overall is still shit
>>
>>67562111
I mean, they had a slow motion scene of Jeffery Dean Morgan saying "Martha" in Bruce's nightmare. I really can't believe people have that bad short term memory.
>>
>>67561947
>> realizes he was getting ready to become what he hated

become what? a killer? because he already was one.
>>
>>67562284
He was getting ready to kill an innocent man.
>>
File: Laughing at the DAMAGE CONTROL.gif (948 KB, 400x262) Image search: [Google]
Laughing at the DAMAGE CONTROL.gif
948 KB, 400x262
tfw you realize if Supe's Mom wasn't named Martha he'd be dead
>>
batman must feel like shit now realizing that all these criminals he already killed had mothers too
>>
>>67561947

Yes people understood that. The reason they mock it is because it's such a cheap way out. It doesn't change anything what Batman thought of Superman before, it makes Batman look like a retard who apparently wasn't smart enough to think of Superman as a person who also has family. If Lex HADN'T kidnapped Supermans mom they would've fought anyway and then there'd be nothing to snap Batman out of it. Which again makes Batman look retarded because he wasn't convinced by logic or reason but solely because Supes' mom has the same name as his mom which is pure coincidence. And this realization didn't really warrant them to suddenly become best friends. All his concerns about Superman remain untouched.

There definitely were infinitely many better ways to resolve their conflict than "Omg your mom has the same name as my mom" (Yes it's an overexaggeration not a lack of understanding of the scene)
>>
>>67562576
You're still not grasping it. Superman on the ground moaning that name made him flash back to his father doing the same and made him remember why he was doing this in the first place.
>>
So any random thug can say Martha and get him triggered enough to step down and that's supposed to be good writing? Batman already knows that superman knows who he is saying his parents name shouldn't be too farfetched if Bruce is seriously dumb enough to believe superman would send him checks with writing on them about it. If anything he should've been motivated to stab him faster for saying his mom's name.
>>
>>67562422
Kek
>>
I thought Superman's mom was named Mary.
>>
So which scene was worse? Batman giving up his plans because Superman's mother's name or Pa Kent rumbling about horses?
>>
>>67561947
I hate how some people and ''critics'' laugh at that scene, when it's actually not that bad at all and full of meaning. Sure, it's a bit forced and Supes could have said ''save my mother'', but it was an important to play the scene the way it was played. Also, it was a great great character moment and story point so I'll happily let it slide.

Jesus, I hate the bandwagon assholism against this movie.
>>
>>67562640

I fully understand that
You're not understanding that it doesn't change any of Batman's concerns or reasons why he fought Superman and that it was nothing but a huge coincidence and an incredibly cheap way out of the situation and then there's no reason for Bats and Supes to become besties
>>
>>67562778

>Pawpaw called all his grandsons to the top of the mountain and only Clark showed up ;_;
>>
>>67562422
>Save...Susan
>Who? just die already
Roll credits
>>
More important, what does Clark's mom thinks about his son dating a woman 10 years older than him?
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 299x168
>>67561947
I would fuck supes mom tbqh
>>
>>67562881
Not the other anon, but Batman's big problem seemed to be the huge disconnect he had with Superman. Batman just saw this careless, mass-murdering alien, but finding out about Clark's mother helps Batman to find the missing connection. For the first time he sees him as a human, with human emotions and with a family etc.

It's similar to what many people think of muslims, they're just terrorists, but when you actually meet and get to know to a muslim person, you may realize that you're not so different from each other, you're just normal people, doing normal people stuff. The key is to find the missing, personal connection to the other person. Batman just found his.
>>
File: 1451519994105.jpg (188 KB, 960x727) Image search: [Google]
1451519994105.jpg
188 KB, 960x727
>adding depth from the comics to a dull movie so it looks better
will capeshiters ever learn?
>>
>>67563344
>It's similar to what many people think of muslims, they're just terrorists, but when you actually meet and get to know to a muslim person, you may realize that you're not so different from each other, you're just normal people, doing normal people stuff.

As I said, it just makes Batman look incredibly retarded. Really only the most mindless drones need some personal connection to understand that generalized hatred with no logic or reason is just stupid.
>>
>>67562158
Yeah but this scene is not the worst of the movie if you think about it for a minute
>>
>>67561947
Who the fuck calls their mother by name?
>>
>>67563704
Well, when you're in a super radical mindset like Batman, you'd probably need that to snap you out of the anger. Keep in mind that Superman wasn't exactly innocent, so Batman needed that little moment to realize that maybe you can work with this guy after all.
>>
It would have been better if Batmans parents had been killed by a hynotist and Superman snapped his fingers to make Batman "what do you mean by that"?
>>
>>67563906
Fucking adoptees
>>
>>67561947
Yeah but this was the point of the movie where it jumped the shark and went from good, into the cheesy pile of teenage trash , end of level boss fight with a turd that it ended up being
>>
>>67562168
They even played it again DURING the fucking scene. DC knew its audience was retards, AND IT STILL WASNT ENOUGH.
>>
>>67562881

It helped to finally make Batman see Superman as a vulnerable and human character when he realizes that he also has a family and people he cares for, people he is willing to die for. His final words weren't to beg for mercy, but to beg for the life of his mother. Before that moment, Batman didn't see him as anymore than an overpowered alien and this forced him to see him in a more humane perspective.
>>
>>67564461
Didn't he know that Superman was Clark who is dating Lois and loves her very much, who has a mother called Martha and loves her very much? I assumed he knew
>>
Riddle me this, is a coincidence both Bruce's and Clark's moms are named Martha or it was intended since the begining of their respective comics?
>>
>>67565271
I'm guessing it's pure coincidence.
>>
>>67566847
Nice coincidence then, really worked out.
>>
File: 1458684081024.jpg (442 KB, 2000x1087) Image search: [Google]
1458684081024.jpg
442 KB, 2000x1087
>>67563058
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.